JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Challenges and Benefits of Home-Schooling

I could barely pass this with an 80, because I don't know the names of the congresspersons from my state and I could not honestly answer questions that use 'we' and 'us.'

Just substitute "US citizens" for "we" and "us".

Harry Reid is one of the senators from Nevada. He is in the news OFTEN. So, he is easy for me to remember,but I don't recall the other. The Nevada governor is also in the news often - Sandoval- another easy for me to remember.

I know some former representatives,but couldn't state for certain who the current ones are. But that would only be one or 2 questions out of 100. That would be a 98. :)

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I doubt that there is a good or fair test. Even the one that pops up frequently online with the challenge, "Can you pass this eighth grade test?" has an erroneous answer. I have not been able to find out who publishes that challenge. Another online test that claims to be from a bygone era is a fake.  

Kids in a public school SHOULD be able to get an 80% at LEAST!

Wouldn't it be great to test them against the homeschooled. Give both groups an hour and see how they do.

If an average student enters the school system and requires minimal schooling and or effort for thatindividual to learn and even excel they are worth the attention of scholastic authorities.

If a student has gone through the required processes to determine their legibilty to acquire extra paid help because of a severe mental or physical disability, these too warrant the attention needed because the funding is available.

However if a student does not fall into either of the above categories, but need either one on one attention or a different approach in learning, perhaps more visual forms of learning, and there is no extra funding or staff because their problems are not defined like others, these children find it impossible to excel or even keep up, even though with effort they are as bright as those who excel, simply fall through the cracks or are deemed lazy and often are targets for bullying leading to further falls in confidence and perceived intelligence.

The school system can work well for many, but it puts them into little boxes where often they dont fit.

Homeschooling fills the need of many, who want to learn but cant within the conventional lines fitted to so few.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I missed #2. I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I had to draw the second problem. I always told my students to draw out their problems, but many were reluctant to do so. 

Question two should have said 'degrees' in the answer. Question 4 doesn't need to be labeled because the question states to the nearest cubic inch. Same reasoning why  #5 is labeled in the question, so not necessary in the answer.

Edited by kejedo

I am working VERY SLOWLY on a Civil Engineering degree.

I really want to keep helping out in the construction programs - LDC or Branch construction- even after age 60. So, I need to have a "special skill" that the branch is always looking for. :eek:

My electrical background has let me help out as often as I do now. :thumbsup: But I wonder how I will do climbing up and down a ladder in 10 years. It's good to be ready and have a long term goal. :)

And that will be a good skill for the new system too! I am always trying to look ahead. :yes:

"Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon ....."

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I was doing some "Khan Academy" online review segments on solving equations. I just solved them mathematically but was too lazy to graph them online, :bored:  so they didn't jump me to the next level. Maybe I'll get more serious about it if Jwtalk kicks me off. I wish Khan offered a Spanish language class. I would definitely get more engrossed. So for home-schoolers, my suggestion before has been to use lots of info from the Awake, past and present, but Khan Academy, free online, is a wonderful place to learn math incrementally. (It is not necessarily taught incrementally in schools.) 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about other countries but here there is not a lot of socializing going on in school, and what is going on... well you wouldn't want a child to learn those kind of skills. 

True social skill training should come from some one who has social skills... a child of say 9 years old will only have 9 year old social skills and can only teach 9 year old social skills, which are immature and most likely not the best. However, a loving wise mature adult can teach mature social skills. So a child being in a class of 30 other kids only their same age really does not help their social skills at all. A child being exposed to people that are  many different ages, especially with some adults in the mix, they get a much better social skill level taught to them. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not saying we do not teach any government, but to me, what does the that test have anything to do with anything that is important to Jehovah? Do you think any of these things of this worldly government will carry over to the new system? I highly doubt it. For that reason we do not really focus on it. We focus on the real life, and important matters. Which is Jehovah's laws and principles. He does not care if we know American Law, Australian Law, or Mexican Law... we are all the same in his eyes. I do not like to focus too much on worldly government as it's passing and anything you find on it will be nationalistic propaganda for the most part. What we do focus on, is in our literature and year books. It goes into the truth about governments and how they have been ran and why. And is completely accurate. 

When I was in school in Illinois, we had to pass the United States and Illinois Constitution tests - both were necessary in order to graduate.  "Constitution Tests" were EPIC! :P

Is that a requirement for homeschoolers? I do know that each state has different requirements for students.

Maine public school had a dread book on the history/gov't of Maine. I found two easier reads, one from Scholastic Books and one from the public Library that were of shorter duration but longer on info.  F'rinstance, the books I used in teaching State of Maine Social Studies had some entertaining facts about Bangor, Maine and its contribution to Maine history.  In Bangor, the 31-foot statue of legendary lumberjack Paul Bunyan still stands tall over what was once the 'Lumber Capital of the World,' in the 1800s. I have only been to Bangor, Maine once, for a two week period, when I attended Publisher Pioneer School at that location.  Also, there is a spot in Maine where the rays from the sun reach first (Cadillac Mountain).  We did some good mountain climbing and trail walking in Maine, as well as tree ID.  I certainly stressed Theocratic Government, but my sons also learned local and national gov systems.

'm not saying we do not teach any government, but to me, what does the that test have anything to do with anything that is important to Jehovah? Do you think any of these things of this worldly government will carry over to the new system? I highly doubt it. For that reason we do not really focus on it. We focus on the real life, and important matters. Which is Jehovah's laws and principles. He does not care if we know American Law, Australian Law, or Mexican Law... we are all the same in his eyes. I do not like to focus too much on worldly government as it's passing and anything you find on it will be nationalistic propaganda for the most part. What we do focus on, is in our literature and year books. It goes into the truth about governments and how they have been ran and why. And is completely accurate. 

Where would we be as an organization, if the Faithful and Discreet Slave thought the way you expressed.  They have sent brothers and sisters to schools of higher learning  to learn all the stuff you just condemned so that we could fight the "fine fight" that Paul described  when he said that "we have a battle against these organizations and governments.

Alba..  I agree and disagree with what your area saying.  Knowing your governments or nation history is not going to help you with any productive skill. A lot of what is taught in public school is propaganda.   It wants us to love our country.  As far as those who became educated in bethel.  They weren't bethel because of their strong education skills or that they new government or international law.  They were educated while in bethel after serving there for many years.  A friend of our family is a bethel lawyer. He was sent to law school after being in bethel over 20 years. He is an  expert of international law and has spoken before the European courts in our brothers defense.   However he is the first to tell you that this is a temporary job and will be glad when his assignment is done.   

The the slave isn't looking highly educated people.  Neither is Jehovah. If they need. Special person to do a special job they will make sure the proper training is done.  Most training is done on the job.   However jobs where a license is required or illegal to practice (RN Or lawyer) they make sure the proper education is done. 

This training is completely different than the regular training  received  in our public school system. 

I'm not sure if you are keeping up with current events or not Alba, but the slave said over a year ago they will NOT ever again send brothers for higher education like that. There was a whole broadcast on this. 

The FDS teaches us MUCH about government through the year books and how it works. Do you think brothers in Africa NEED to know about American government? Highly doubtful, and just one way that propaganda gets us, into thinking our country is so important, and more important then other countries and so every one needs to know all it's ins and outs. When you look deeply at most of what is taught in school, just like the old BE book (a FDS published book) it brings out that almost all secular history is going to be skewed (propaganda) to the country of origin. I have seen that first hand in reading history books in school. Sooo much propaganda that is twisted so that you think your country and people are so much better then others. 

I find the slaves publications NEVER do this. They state the facts about how the governments have worked and what they have done, without putting one country or peoples above another. 

And even if the slave was to continue to send some for higher education (which they clearly stated they would not do again), how many would do that? That was a very very very minute percentage of people selected for that. And JUST as those brothers were taught that AFTER they were grown ups, people do not just stop learning once they turn 18... IF something like that would be needed to know, some one at 18, 20, 25, etc could learn it if they needed to. It wouldn't make or break a person that they didn't learn it at 16, instead of 20... We all continue to learn every day... that's how Jehovah made us. ;) 

But, my main point is, why would we as witnesses want to base our children's education on a worldly government? I personally NEVER want my children being lawyers, I have a sister and brother in law, and two uncles who are lawyers... no thank you. 

20 hours ago, PrairieGirl said:

I

'm not sure if you are keeping up with current events or not Alba, but the slave said over a year ago they will NOT ever again send brothers for higher education like that. There was a whole broadcast on this

You mean if I keep up with present truth?  .  Yes I try. You are referring to the JW broadcasting that feature Philip Lumley (spel?) head of legal department . Yes they are not sending brothers to Law school. But they have sent them in the past and obviously it was Jehovah's direction as this was done from many years.  I am sure with the focus on technology and software development , further specialized training will be required and brothers and sisters will have to go to institutions of greater learning to master these specialized skills.  I already know of some doing just this.

The FDS teaches us MUCH about government through the year books and how it works. Do you think brothers in Africa NEED to know about American government? Highly doubtful, and just one way that propaganda gets us, into thinking our country is so important, and more important then other countries and so every one needs to know all it's ins and outs. When you look deeply at most of what is taught in school, just like the old BE book (a FDS published book) it brings out that almost all secular history is going to be skewed (propaganda) to the country of origin. I have seen that first hand in reading history books in school. Sooo much propaganda that is twisted so that you think your country and people are so much better then others. 

I find the slaves publications NEVER do this. They state the facts about how the governments have worked and what they have done, without putting one country or peoples above another.

Of course , we learn much from the publications. But we can't place our kids in a bubble. When Jesus prayed to his Heavenly Father he said in John 17 : 15 that  "I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one.+.     

As much as we want to shelter our children, at some  point they will have to live in the world and they need to be prepared. They might need to work with worldly people . Children need to be prepared to face the world. The FDS uses many sources from historical books, and general knowledge that is found in the world.   Many of these are quoted in our literature. Even when a citation is not given, with a few google search strategies, you can most often find the source. Knowledge will not be detrimental for our children. The more exposure they have, the better prepared they will be.  You mentioned the expression "current events". Most often at service arrangements we are encouraged to take an interest in what is happening in the world around us by reading newspapers for example. How can our children or any of us  give a defense if our scope of knowledge is so limited.

These are just my 2 cents worth.

Y

Edited by alba aurora

With all due respect alba, this forum was created to encourage a positive discussion of alternative methods of,schooling our children. Each parent as a right to decide what is best.  Also, it can be offensive when you use terms like shelter, or "in a bubble" or limited knowledge. All the homeschooled kids I personally know are completely the opposite. They are well rounded, meaning they know much about their surroundings and more importantly about Jehovah's organization. My son makes a defense when he talks those in our ministry. Even at the age of seven he can clearly tell people his thoughts. He expresses himself clearly why we don't we don't celebrate birthdays or holidays to the neighbors, librarian or store clerk.   He is not sheltered. He sees us dealing everyday with worldly people. And worldly relatives.  How to treat them to be kind but not overly friendly. We are realistic that he will need to support himself, but we are encouraging full time service in what ever way he wants.  He also enjoys healthy association with fellow witness kids. Kids that have solid parents.     We do many activities to keep them occupied and interested in being with friends of like faith.   

Frankly he doesn't need to be around worldly association ten hours a day to learn those things you are concerned about. 

Also, so, the current event comment from the other poster was in regards to the slaves decision not to send anymore bethel items to college. It was useful in its time. You commented about current events for our ministry. Two topics all together.   

Sadly your idea of homeschooling is not accurate.  

I thought the topic of the thread was asking about why the need to defend. I didn't think Alba's query was out of line- hearing reasons why some choose homeschooling and some don't should be a reasonable discussion. It does seem that the "pro" side is quick to get their backs up, though - just my observation. :(

Homeschooling would not be a choice I'd make but I don't think I'd react so strongly to opposing or questioning thoughts.  That's what any of us get when we go against what's considered "normal".  It's not meant to be offensive.