JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

To Have Long Hair Or Short Hair That is the Question

Well Bro's You have your Beard or not To Beard Worries.
Or To be Clean & appealing or Not..

The scriptures speak about Women Adorning Their headdress With beautiful long Hair.
So We Can give Praise To Jah.

Its also a sign of Respect.
So today's Fashion is to have It short,

So how far is to Short then?

For some its a convinece thing.
Choice As in We are All Free to Do as we please so to speak comes into play.

Earlier this year I cut mine shorter only because after four Babies. It was getting quite thin.

So It will  grow thicker..( Its a weird feeling coming to terms having four babies & only 3 are living.)

I am a little on the slow side with that one.

So What do guys think?

Long hair does take some maintance. But worth the Trouble.
& From a Scriptual Point. How does this reflect praise to Jah?

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Move from the Interchange to General Chit Chat, as a discussion of the length of a sisters hair is not really a topic about Jehovah's Witnesses.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I do not go for a female "shaved head" (and, yes I've seen a few, though not at the Hall) but some of the "short hair styles" look nice on some faces - although I do like long hair women ... and since I have a wife and four daughters, I do know a little about what it takes to care for hair.

If a woman is trying to have a "man's" hair style, that could infringe on the scriptural admonition, on the other hand, some men definitely wear, what I would consider, a female hair style ... do not agree with that either.

I would have to look at it this way:

If a particular hair style makes a female look like a male - don't wear it. (simple and to the point)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have long curly hair, that is a bit wild and does its own thing. ...I've given up fighting it !

Yes I like womens hair to be longish, longer than a mans anyway ! Part of this attitude comes from my grandfather who always told me that a women's hair was her crowning glory, may be this is a old fashioned attitude.

I think it's up to the individual.

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Well Bro's You have your Beard or not To Beard Worries.

Or To be Clean & appealing or Not..

The scriptures speak about Women Adorning Their headdress With beautiful long Hair.

So We Can give Praise To Jah.

Its also a sign of Respect.

So today's Fashion is to have It short,

So how far is to Short then?

For some its a convinece thing.

Choice As in We are All Free to Do as we please so to speak comes into play.

Earlier this year I cut mine shorter only because after four Babies. It was getting quite thin.

So It will  grow thicker..( Its a weird feeling coming to terms having four babies & only 3 are living.)

I am a little on the slow side with that one.

So What do guys think?

Long hair does take some maintance. But worth the Trouble.

& From a Scriptual Point. How does this reflect praise to Jah?

I personally like the longer hair, however, each sister is different, what looks good on one may not on another.  Also, hair types differ, for example, it is hard for some to grow long hair, then age can enter the discussion... it can be a complex issue, so let's play it safe and let the ladies decide this one :uhhuh:

As for the brothers, I'm sure that there are some that just wish they had hair... period :D  

Grumpy doesn't want me to have long hair. He says it's because I play with it to much. Nervous habit. I have tried a few times to grow it longer, but he says he hates it. I like it short as it is easy to keep up and I cut my own hair so the maintenance is cheap. I have had grayish hair ever since I was 20. I used to color it but now I just comb and go. Once it is done in the morning, I never have to look in the mirror again that day. I had platinum blond hair as a child.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is my favorite style: short bob hairstyles - I think they named them after me for a reason :P

In our congregation, we have all kinds of hairstyles, even some more radical ones since we have a few younger brothers and sisters who work as hair stylists. As far as length, we have 1 sister, an elder's wife, whose hair is a very very short pixie cut.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I have great hair! My whole life people have commented on it-perfect strangers even to this day will come out of their way to ask me who cuts or Colors my hair. I have to thin it q 6 weeks or so. It was snow white as a child then strawberry blonde then I dyed it black then various colors in-between. Red has been the choice for the last 10 yrs or so. When I lost all my hair due to chemotherapy I tried to wear wigs but when you are as smooth as a billiard ball the wigs would constantly slide around. I love the reverse angle bob cut and the pixie. I never had to worry about looking manly-too many curves for that. But after taking the 155mg of Prednisone I could never wear a pixie cut or I would look like a tick!!! Too round from the high dose Predinose. Definitly hair texture, thickness or thin. And length and color, plus face shape and body style all play a Hugh factor in determining the right hair style.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

1 Cor 11:15 "if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her".  I personally agree with that.  I like woman with long hair, the longer the better!  I've known sisters who had beautiful long hair, who then have it cut short.  The other sisters complement her, but I keep silent.

Ok, that's my view.  For the Bible's view - See 1 Peter 3:3,4.

This is a great question! I was thinking about growing out my hair the other day. I usually go from very short hair to very long the cycle taking about five years. I have it short now but my husband just told me he likes it long. I asked him why, but he doesn't know. When I have it long I always have it pulled back in a ponytail or in a bun, which doesn't really flatter my face very well. So I like it short because I feel like it has more personality and dimension, not to mention it's much easier to brush and style!

I think it depends on the person and their age (sorry to bring that up).  I have rarely known long hair to look good on us women as we get older.  I have had my hair short on and off, and right now, it is short.  Part of that is working in the hospital, but I also know I look 10 years older when it's longer, and I DEFINITELY don't want that, lol. 

In the end, though, I think it is up to the person, as long as it doesn't look like a man's haircut, or some weird, worldly fad.  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

1 Cor 11:15 "if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her".  I personally agree with that.  I like woman with long hair, the longer the better!  I've known sisters who had beautiful long hair, who then have it cut short.  The other sisters complement her, but I keep silent.

Good thing, right???

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have gone back and forth in my life with short and long hair.  I had it long for quite a few years, but when I went back to work few yrs back, I cut it.  It's a bob style, just above my chin/jawline.  I do like long hair, but it is alot of work to keep it looking nice.  As I am getting older, my hair is also getting drier and a bit thinner, so the shorter hair looks nicer and easier to take care of.  I too am of the opinion that most women over 40 just look better with shorter hair. Most of the sisters at my cong have the shorter hair as well.  When you have kids and you work, it's just sooooo much easier to go with short hair.

My husband likes long hair, but he also understands why I keep it short.  My life is just so hectic, and I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore.  My daughter is 16, and she has beautiful, long hair. She also spends a good hour a day on her hair, as well as several special conditioning treatments every week, she has the time for that, I don't, lol.

My wife has hair that is a little more than shoulder length. One of my daughters also has hair about that long, and hers is a bit curly. The other three daughters have hair that hangs down their backs - shoulder-blade or so. The married one fixes hers up a bit, but still nothing elaborate, except that she keeps changing the color.

They never complain about how long it takes or how much work it is since they actually spend very little time on their hair. They mostly let it be straight and make sure it is clean and combed. Looks just fine on them. They do have a few ways they "tie" it back and make it look different, but they can do that as they head for the door.

One sister I have known for more than 40 years used to wear her hair long .... and when I say long, I mean it came to the backs of her knees. She did mention that it took a wile towash and dry and she mostly wore it straight .... but it sure looked good on her!

After she was married, and had kids, she cut it short - bob-length or a bit shorter. She said it was easier to care for with taking care of the kids. WOW! Did she ever look different ... had to get used to what she looked like since I did not see her all the time (we were not in the same congregation).

Now, many years later, and with her hair a silvery-gray, she wears it just sort of shoulder-lenght, but fairly straight. Again, had to get used to her "new look" ... we are still in different congregations and usually see each other at CA, SAD and DC ... or when we are working or shopping.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

When I was a kid, I had pigtails down to the middle of my back. I got a lot of headaches and the doctor thought it might be my hair so my mother cut if off short. Never been long since then.

Thanks Brother I was honestly wanting a more scriptual discussion here.

Maybe I give to wrong message at times. I do love a scriptural Natter.

Sorry If I posted in the wrong place Bob. No disrespect here.

From time to time this subject has come up at the meetings. Especially on Local needs.

My town it has. Especially since dare I say some have their hair so short.

You can mistake their Identity. Especially round the cities congregation.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

From time to time this subject has come up at the meetings. Especially on Local needs.

Wow, they discuss sister's hair length at your local needs?!?!

Did a little research, and I didn't find anything saying women had to have long hair.  One article said men have shorter hair then women, and if a woman or man kept their hair in a way to look like the opposite sex, that would not be good.  I also read several references that said while women had long hair as a headdress, they still needed to wear a head covering when doing certain things.  So it doesn't matter if our hair is short or long, we still need to wear a head covering.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001943?q=long+hair+women&p=par

Paul calls attention to the naturally long hair of the women in the congregation to which he wrote as a continuous God-given reminder that the woman is by nature subject to the man. She should, therefore, acknowledge this when performing what are customarily the man’s duties in the Christian congregation, and she should wear some form of head covering besides her hair, which she normally always has. She will thereby show that she recognizes the God-ordained headship principle and that she makes a distinction between her normal daily activities and the performing of special duties in the congregation when, for example, there is no qualified male member present, or when she is teaching others individually in a formal session for Bible study in the presence of her husband or a male member of the congregation.—1Co 11:11-15.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102001084?q=1+corinthians+11%3A15&p=par

One of the first aspects of personal appearance that is noticed by others is our hair. It ought to be neat, or well arranged. Both local custom and hereditary factors have a bearing on how people wear their hair. At 1 Corinthians 11:14, 15, we find counsel from the apostle Paul on hairstyles, which evidently took into consideration both of these factors. However, when a person’s hairstyle conveys the impression that he or she is trying to look like a person of the opposite sex, this is in conflict with Bible principles.—Deut. 22:5.

Hi Gabe and friends....I had short hair for most of the years since we moved to Florida..being hot most of the time..also my hair is straight..I am allergic to perms and hair sprays too...however a little over a year ago we also had a local needs part stressing the scriptural points on men and women...very short hair that looks like a man was discouraged...Don and I talked about it...three older sisters have haircuts like that and never changed...it looks good on them too and they wear ear rings and dress respectfully...I wanted to obey the counsel so I did decide to keep the top and front the same and let the back grow! At first it looked like Meg Ryan...then I had a "puppy tail" with a bow..now over a year later I am able to wear a french twist with a flower on the twist to match my blouse! I get lot of complements ... all because of the local needs part..post-2322-0-78091100-1374450631.gif

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I have what would probably be considered medium-length hair.   I usually keep it around 4 inches below the top of my shoulders.  I would like to grow it long, but I have wavy hair and the longer it gets, the harder it is to control the waves.  This time of year my hair looks nice.  The rest of the year, I usually have to straighten my hair with a blow dryer when I go out to keep from looking like I'm having a bad hair day.  When it gets too long during that time of the year, my hair looks straggly.  It makes me look older too, according to my mom.

You must be a stunner Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing.

I do agree with you on the heat. When summer is mega hot. Some days you feel like a sauna house.

Oh I know you did not mean any disrespect. And perhaps we might move it back. Initially, it seemed to us that the length of a woman's hair was more of a topic about taste, and not necessarily a topic about faith with the exception of the question at the end. All the moreso when there are not really any scriptural guidelines about length, just a comment in relation to subjection and headdress.

Local needs? Wow!

One brother in our congregation is rumored to have been elder-dashed back in the 80's when big hair was the "in thing" - and as a result would actually use a measure to see how much poofiness was above his daughters scalp, and make her cut it if it was too much because it would have been faddish and "wordly".

Well, shame on the elder if this is so, and shame on him for busting out a ruler, lol! But thank God those ridiculous hairstyles died from the fashion scene :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Oh,,yes those big hair days...that was so much work... Lol...used a couple cans of hairspray a week.Since coming in the truth I personally feel odd if my hair is too short,I keep it shoulder length or longer.I think some sisters look really cute and feminine with short pixie hair, but it's not for me.