JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Funny things that happen at Kingdom Hall

Ever have something happen at the Hall that later on you laugh about.

On the night of Sept 6-7/13 my wife and I were on security at the Kingdom Hall from midnight to 3 AM. ( roofing to be done on Sat at 7:30 AM)

We decided to go early and arrived at 11:30 PM - brother went home early- Hall was unlocked and alarm off so we could use washrooms, have stale donuts and coffee. :popcorn::coffee:

There was no coffee made so wife made some -then we heard alarm start ticking, lights outside started flashing, then the Alarm went off -at 11:55 PM ( wasn't official start of our shift until midnight ).

No code to shut it off :help:   and we forgot that with new phone system you had to dial 9 to dial out. :phone:

Hit the exit button on alarm-which shut off alarm siren only. Drove the 1/2 mile home - phoned COBE - got code went back and entered code.

Immediately as I was entering code- our 83 year old former COBE came -he had gotten calls from neighbors and alarm company.

We used his personal ID to phone alarm company, so that the police wouldn't come. :pistols:

This is 2nd time this has happened to me- 1st time was 1 1/2 years ago during our interior renovation - fortunately the brother with me had code.

Funny thing is - the alarm is Not Supposed to Reset itself if turned off. Our current COBE wondered if I had touched the controller-nope.

He said it can't turn itself on - well it did. Welcome to our computerized world.

The elder, who my wife & I relieved early, got teased about alarm going off on his shift.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

That brought back some bad memories of when the alarm at our hall went off and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I can't remember if the police came or if we finally got it turned off, but it sure was noisy and really stressed me out. I don't like alarms anymore!

Funny thing is - the alarm is Not Supposed to Reset itself if turned off. Our current COBE wondered if I had touched the controller-nope.

He said it can't turn itself on - well it did. Welcome to our computerized world.

LOL. Someone just wanted to make sure you stayed awake on duty!!

We are in the alarm business, and actually an alarm CAN turn itself on. It's in the programming that can be set up to come on/off at specific times in case someone forgets to set it. We do this in some KHs and in a lot of car dealerships.

Come to think of it the 2 times it happened -it was about same time at night 5 minutes to midnight-1 1/2 years apart and 2 different alarm systems ( at least I think it was 2 -maybe they just changed the keypad ). Have to tell our COBE that they do reset themselves at a set time. :coffee:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: