JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What were you doing 12 yrs ago today!?

here in the uk, i went shopping with my wife and baby girl... on the way back i popped into my local music shop for strings.... it was like a ghost town... no one in sight... i then get a call from a back roon... " come and look at this!" and thats when i saw the terrible events unfolding.

i went home and was glued to the news... as someone who knew the truth but not part of Jehovahs organization i spent the next days waiting for armegeddon to start... and waiting to die.

seems like a ling time ago now...

Quite a wake up call! How did events unfold from there to your return?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I saw it on TV on a news channel. My wife ( this was actually just before we got married ) was at work in Las Vegas, NV and got sent home- she had been just talking to a co-worker at the twin towers minutes before -( worker didn't make it ). Martial Law was enacted. Most didn't know the Stratosphere had been a target, along with several others across the country -These attempts were foiled

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Drove into work, didn't have the radio on so didn't know.  Got there and everyone was standing looking out the front window, listening to the radio.  They quickly explained what had gone on, I had tears in my eyes, and ended up hugging my co-worker who was openly weeping.

I just couldn't help but think of the children who had been dropped off to daycare, never to see their parents again, or wives who wouldn't come home to their husbands and vice versa.  I recall feeling anger, a lot of it after the sorrow had passed.

Satan is going to answer for all his crimes is all I keep telling myself when I see the newspapers where the parents are clutching their dead children in whatever news story of the week is going.  Raw human emotion, pain, sorrow all to purchase for only a couple of dollars - it sickens me.  

We just jailed a guy who gunned down 4 co-workers point plank.  1 survived.  He shot them all execution style and showed no remorse as each of the families victims wept reading their victim statements.  He even seemed bored.  This is Satan's reaction, we are the '24' members of the families that this guy ruined, and we are are pleading our case before our righteous judge.  

He has heard us, not much longer.   Justice will be done.   

Brother Darin, I am so sorry you had to witness that.  I am irreparably scarred from hearing these things, to see them would be a whole different horror.  Especially because there's nothing you could do.  That is the worse feeling in the world.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

At that evening (this happened early evening by Moscow time) I watched live news program on TV (in English) and they were constantly repeating the word "twins". 

At first time I could not understand what they are talking about and what the word "twins" has to do with this awful picture.

Only after reading running text below I got that this was about "twins towers" and told to my family what happened. 

They were shocked and could not believe this.... 

My sister and I were planing to see "Cabaret" with Nicole Kidman that day, but we just could not bear this movie and went out of the cinema after 10 minutes of watching. (Do not remember anything!) Discussion about what will happen next was far more interesting. Reality was much more fantastic than any movie.

Next day my sister was going to meet one of her friends from US, who stuck (hopefully) somewhere in airport in the middle of Europe, but he also could be on board of one of those planes and we had no idea is he alive or  not. 

We had 2 awful days not knowing what happened to him. 

Remember this day like it was yesterday...  

"Absolute rubbish”

12 years ago, I was at my doctor's office, and saw the news.  The horrific ordeal of watching a plane fly into a building in New York City.  The entire room stood up, people were crying and screaming.  Even the entire doctor's staff came out from behind the cubicals.   I canceled my appointment and rushed home.  I grabbed all the Awake magazines that talked about Terrorism.  I went back to the doctor's office which was at the hospital.  I handed out everyone of those magazines.  I even went back to the kingdom hall to see if they had anymore.  Yes they did, and some friends joined me, following me back to the doctor's clinic/hospital.  There was lots to do that fateful day.   The society did the same thing, sending out brothers/sisters in Brooklyn Bethel (for the thousands) who walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, that day, they gave those people much comfort!  That is what I recall from 12 years ago.  I cried when watching the funeral of one of our own (he was a fireman).  An elder in my hall, knew him and his family.  I can't recall if his father gave the talk on the resurrection, but who ever it was (I can't quite recall) gave it in such a way, that the people who were not JW'S, eagerly listened, and they too had tears fill their eyes.   That talk on the resurrection touched a lot of hearts that day.  I have no idea if any of those listening back then could now be our brothers or sisters.   12 years ago, my how time flies!   I really think in my imperfect heart, that our loving father, Jehovah is really speeding things up.    And since then the world has had more and more sad things effect it in the worst possible way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. That Tuesday my husband had gone to the big monthly Antique Fair as a stall-holder at Hexham in the NE of England. I turned on the TV for my favourite program and it was stopped for the sudden news broadcast. I rang Kevin to tell him about the first building hit because we had only visited there a few weeks earlier and the footage of a fireman lifting a grid in the road and the camera then panning from him to what was happening over his head and then down the street behind him was exactly where we stood to photograph the Twin Towers.

Whilst explaining what was happening on the screen it suddenly flipped to live footage of the next plane flying in and straight for the other building and I was  shouting: "You'll never believe what has just happened again!!!" Then reports about the Pentagon and another plane in the air they worried about hitting perhaps the Whitehouse started to come through.

We stopped our phone-call as Kevin was shouting to the other stallholders. The leisure centre's Hall emptied of customers rushing home to see their TV's. The 300 stallholders just left their stalls and ran upstairs to the lounge bar where there was a big screen TV and all stood in shock watching events unfold - business was over and people were just in shock.

When the towers started to collapse and all the dust rose I remember reporters on TV shouting that maybe a bomb had also gone off. Then the footage of folk covered with dust and the weird whistling of the firemen's breathing gear.

That night My husband arrived home later than usual, so we went to our town's market place fish and Chip (fries) shop to buy supper because, having been glued to TV, shocked I didn't feel like cooking late. There was a queue waiting as usual for the fish and fries to be cooked and all glued to the shop's TV and speculating who was responsible. I said Osama Bin Laden because he had bombed under the Towers in the 90's and said that he would return. I heard some taxi drivers scoffing as to what would a woman like her know of such things! So I said I heard them and said it was my best guess and we will await USA intelligence and see if I was right.

We wondered if any of the firemen we saw rushing to the scene in fire-trucks were firemen that came to our hotel in lower Manattan NY a few weeks before, when all the hotel alarms went off. They were friendly guys.They gave us 2 woven NY firemen's badges as souvenirs after the alarm was all over and we chatted to them while they put their gear away (My husband was a fireman in the RAF before becoming a JW). So sad when I heard that 343 firemen had perished along with so many others in the horrible events that day. 

Edited by retroHelen

Just found this thread.

That day was a ginormous wakeup call for me. I had been DF'd since I think between June and August 2000. I had started off really well going back to meetngs but was going too several different halls. In order to come back I was told I would need to stay put somewhere, so that congregation knew I was trying to come back. Anyhow after awhile got discouraged because of not being able to go to one particular hall and stopped going period after awhile. Not because I didn't want to go but satan was using one of his favorite tools. Anyway, long story short fast forward 2 2001. That day we were down in the carribbean for work. We had gotten there, my huband Feb and me in April. That period I managed to make all meetings but was only 3 mos. Then I went there and not sure what happened to my frame of mind, but wasnt going to any meetings,

Then Sept 11 happened. I kept seeing the planes crash over and over and over for days. I couldn't stand it anymore  I thought GREAT. The GT is going to start now, I'm df'd and I'm probably going to die. That thought didn't appeal too me very much, so I prayed a lot that it wasnt the start and just a warning call and promised Jehovah I would start coming back. After that I got pretty regular and after 8-9 months made it back. It would have been 6, but my cards had been lost somewhere and it took awhile to figure that out.

So it was a ginormous wake up call for me.

Long story short. Still recovering from that whole business,but in the last year I'm finally starting to see some of my old self again. The one I'm supposed to be.

So yep definitely a memorable day for me