JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Americans Still Believe that Jews Killed Jesus

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3838 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

From the Huffington Post

Belief That Jews Killed Jesus Is Held By Over A Quarter Of Americans, Reports ADL Survey On Anti-Semitism

A recent survey by the Anti-Defamation League determined that 26% of Americans still believe that "Jews were responsible for the death of Christ." Though that percentage has decreased from 31% in 2011, it still accounts for over a quarter of America.

Pope Benedict XVI specifically rejected the narrative which blames Jews for the death of Jesus in a 2011 book, "Jesus of Nazareth -- Part II." He explained biblically and theologically the reasons why Scripture doesn't support the argument that the Jewish people as a whole can be held responsible for the death of Jesus. He asked, "How could the whole people have been present at this moment to clamor for Jesus' death?"

Also, a 1965 Second Vatican Council document, "Nostra Aetate," was took the decisive position that Christ's death could not be blamed on the Jews as a whole at that time nor today.

Reza Aslan, a religious scholar and author of "Zealot," a biography of the historical Jesus, weighed in to the Huffington Post about why he thinks so many hold this erroneous belief.

Aslan explained:

The Gospels try to make it seem like the Jews killed Jesus.
flat out claims that the Jews requested that the blood of Jesus be placed on their heads and their children's heads.

The Gospels were all written after the destruction of Jerusalem. A that time, Judaism had become a pariah of religion in the Roman empire, and so the gospels were primarily intended for a non-Jewish, Roman, audience. If you want to convince a Roman audience to accept Jesus, then you have to remove all blame from Rome for his death. And so we see a steady progression from the first Gospel of Mark to the last Gospel of John, in which little by little, blame is removed from Rome and placed directly upon the Jews. This, of course, is totally unhistorical. The Jews under Roman Imperium had no power to influence capital punishment.

The 2013 Survey of American Attitudes Toward Jews in America polled over 1,200 adults, measuring their level of anti-Semitism with an 11-question index developed by the ADL about 50 years ago.

o-ELEVEN-QUESTIONS-570.jpg?6

“The poll shows that while we have made great progress in promoting understanding in American society, the most enduring anti-Semitic canards continue to hold sway among some segments of the American public,” said Mr. Foxman, ADL National Director.

For example,

• 14% agree with the statement that "Jews have too much power in the U.S. today."
  • More specifically,
  • 19% believe that Jews have too much power in the business world, 17% say that Jews have too much control on Wall Street,
  • 18% think that Jews have too much influence over the media, and 24% are of the opinion that the movie and television industries are pretty much run by Jews.
  • Also, 30% of Americans think that American Jews are "more loyal to Israel" than they are to America.
  • Almost one-quarter of respondents believe that "Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust."

o-JEWS-CHRIST-570.jpg?6

On the more positive side, the survey found that even those with deeply anti-Semitic attitudes sometimes attached positive qualities to Jews as well.

• 75% of respondents believe that Jews have a strong faith in God.
  • 65% say that Jews have made a lot of contributions to the cultural life of America.
  • 78% think that Jews value their families.

The ADL says that the margin of error is +/- 2.8 percent. See the full report here.

Depressing Percentage Of Americans Believe This About Jews

Well, yeah!

Acts 4:10 

10 let it be known to all of YOU and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·rene′,+ whom YOU impaled*+ but whom God raised up from the dead,+ by this one* does this man stand here sound in front of YOU.

Peter (their "first Pope") was talking to the Jews when he said this. How does the Pope explain that?

Edited by Musky

Americans don't get much right - 75% got it wrong.

Thanks for quoting me Musky. Wait that was the other Peter. :upsidedown: We both suffer from the same  "foot-in-mouth disease" :secret:

Now here is one for you. Don't think about it- just answer quickly to yourself.

I was named after the apostle Peter because I was not named before him. What did I say?

Post your 1st answer :D

It is almost tomorrow when we clock 2 AM twice :uhhuh:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Well, yeah!

Acts 4:10 

10 let it be known to all of YOU and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·rene′,+ whom YOU impaled*+ but whom God raised up from the dead,+ by this one* does this man stand here sound in front of YOU.

Peter (their "first Pope") was talking to the Jews when he said this. How does the Pope explain that?

The Jews at that time had good role of killing Jesus. And I might add that the plural "YOU" is no longer in the Revised NWT

Americans don't get much right - 75% got it wrong.

Thanks for quoting me Musky. Wait that was the other Peter. :upsidedown: We both suffer from the same  "foot-in-mouth disease" :secret:

Now here is one for you. Don't think about it- just answer quickly to yourself.

I was named after the apostle Peter because I was not named before him. What did I say?

Post your 1st answer :D

It is almost tomorrow when we clock 2 AM twice :uhhuh:

At the risk of incurring Musky's further wrath at going off-topic:

An American pioneer sister once asked me what was my full name. (She wanted to scold me!) i told her is was Christopher Henry Robert Ian Steven Thomas Oliver Paul Herbert Eric Richard, but I only use my initials. They named me Christopher after my father, Clifford! This really confused her.

Quote from the Huffington Post

“The poll shows that while we have made great progress in promoting understanding in American society, the most enduring anti-Semitic canards continue to hold sway among some segments of the American public,” said Mr. Foxman, ADL National Director.

For example,

• 14% agree with the statement that "Jews have too much power in the U.S. today."
  • More specifically,
  • 19% believe that Jews have too much power in the business world, 17% say that Jews have too much control on Wall Street,
  • 18% think that Jews have too much influence over the media, and 24% are of the opinion that the movie and television industries are pretty much run by Jews.
  • Also, 30% of Americans think that American Jews are "more loyal to Israel" than they are to America.
  • Almost one-quarter of respondents believe that "Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust."

Do the Jews "hold sway among some segments of the American public"?  Well, let’s see. . .so who runs Hollywood and some of the major news media syndicated networks:.

Screen Actors Guild, Alan Rosenberg;

Wall Street Investor – Bloomberg News, Michael Bloomberg;

Hollywood Director, Steven Spielberg;

Warner Brothers and its subsidiaries, Wonskolaser brothers;

NBC/Universal Studios, Jeff Zucker

MSNBC owned by NBC Universal News, Jeff Zucker

CBS News, William Paley (founder)

And the list of Jewish names running major companies goes on, and on then there are the predominantly Jewish actors.

Then, yes.  That sounds about right!

Another question, do "[a]lmost one-quarter of respondents believe that 'Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust'"?   Well, let's see . . . considering much of the history textbooks MacMillian/McGraw published by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck (a German company run by Jewish family) and a Stuttgart-based publishing holding company which owns publishing companies worldwide and distribute textbooks to public schools. Seems yes again.  Based on these textbooks, much of the educational system teaches that Hitler despised the Jews.  The truth, however, about history (and in reading other history textbooks/sources) seem to reflect that Hitler really hated Poles - just so happens many Jews were Poles.  In going house-to-house and talking to some Jews, they will disagree that Hitler hated Poles and will most often assert it was Jews Hitler hated and not Poles.

Out of 13+ million who died in concentration camps - only 6 million,- less than half, were Jews. But most people don't know this.

Agreed.  There is a Polish historian Lucas (sp?) who also wrote that about nine million or so Gentiles were murdered, including three million whom he identifed as "Gentile Poles."  What many do not understand is that the Holocaust does not only apply to Jewish victims, but try explaining this to some Jews, including others not aware of this documented history.