JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For all you Computer Guru's

My HP pavilion HPE computer is for the most part working like it should, however for the past two weeks it has been getting these "Crash Dumps" if I leave the computer on for more than a couple hours. It will even shut down if left on in the log-in screen. This Shut Down is like if I hit the restart button as it powers back up to the log in screen.  When I get the Crash Dump I get a blue screen with the message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer," followed by a lot of tech info that never stays on the screen long enough to read. My tech guy thinks it is fans going out. We ran all the tests available with the f12 followed by the f2 key on start-up. All test revealed no problem with any of the hard drives. In bios there is no option to increase the fan speed.

When I contacted HP Tech over the phone, we ran the computer through all the test again and their first and only option was to re-install Windows and then do more testing, they felt it was a motherboard problem. That is a Big problem for me as I have almost a terabyte of programs and assets installed. I have two other internal hard drives, one with a recent system image and the other with a recent C: clone that works fine.  However if it turns out to be a problem with Windows none of these will be of any benefit.

Any ideas or suggestions. After not a little whining they scheduled a HP tech guy to come in home next week to diagnose the problem but they also said that a re-install of windows is still on the table.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Normally this blue screens are related to an incompatibility on the hardware. Do you installed a new hardware recently? Even a new mouse can be responsible... Our do you updated a driver for an hardware item recently? In any case try removing the hardware and check for a while if the problem persists

The problem could be due to a malfunctioning part. Try to disable one of the hdd's at a time. If possible try to get a compatible motherboard borrowed from some one to use instead of yours. Do the same in the case of the graphics card and other removable items...

That's what I can think of

It is possible that the cooling fan on either the CPU or the power supply could not be working properly. if the unit get too hot it can either just turn off or it can blue screen.

A program like Core Temp can help you see if it is over heating.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It sounds like a fan problem to me too. I had something similar - the unit fans worked, so I heard them, but the one on the cpu didn't. I opened the cover and could see it not turning. I orderd a replacement through newegg - all good!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The only thing I installed was an external UBS 2TB hard drive.I keep it unpluged when I don't need it. The hard drive installed the program Seagate Dashboard. An exteral USB device should not cause this problem I am led to believe. The first occurance of this problem was when I was copying 1.5 TB of video files to the new drive. This took several hrs and it was in the second hour that I had the first crash. This again leads me to believe that it is a fan problem. Two days ago and 15 crashes later, when my tech guy installed another 2TB Internal drive we took the side panel off the cpu and let an external fan add to the cooling. We created a clone of the C:drive in one try. Tested that out and it worked flawlessly. Then we re-wired to the factory C: drive and removed the new drive. If I leave the side panel off and leave an external fan blowing at high speed I don't seam to have the problem as often. Of course HP don't like any of my ideas.

A fan does not have to STOP for it to be bad. If it is not running "at speed" you may not be able to see that with your eyes but the CPU and other portions of the computer that needs to shed heat will not to be able to shed enough heat.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Download this little program Tilford:- http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

Important:- Make sure you only agree to download SpeedFan and not all the other stuff. Press decline for step 2,3 and 4.

Then run the program and let us know after 15 and 30 minutes if you have any flames next to certain temperatures.

It will give you and us an idea of what is overheating, if that is the problem.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

In our area it is very dusty, just by using compressed air and blowing out all of the radiators under the fans I have rejuvenated a couple of friends computers. It is just a thought ,computers can get very clogged up. Also if you have screens on your intake fans clean those too. You have probably already done this but just checking..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Would SpeedFan conflict with CoreTemp as I have CoreTemp running right now..........

It shouldn't. Your core temps seem fine. I presume you are idle at 36c. How long had you been running your computer for?

It would be good to get some of your other temps like your PSU and your motherboard and TMpins.

If you run speedfan you should be fine. It is only a little program. It will let you know if your psu is overheating.

I also have this program on every computer i have:- http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486.html I find it quite detailed and could pick up your TMPIN sensors also.

Edited by MentalProject

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

post-204-0-50769700-1387854357.jpg

After 3.5 hrs. this was the highest temp I saw before a blue screen crash. I had just finished posting to the site the 11th video to the welcome forum. Rendering video brought on the highest temp but 61c doesn't seam to be that bad. 

Your processor definitely isn't overheating. Those chips can reach 90-95 before they will throttle down or shut your computer down. Would be nice to see other temps other than the processor cores. Those other programs will do that.

Do you have windows 7?

If you do then you can do this to stop it automatically rebooting after your BSOD:-

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

You should be able to catch the code when it decides to crash again. Make sure you write the code down for us.

Also a side note what fans have you got in your system? Rendering will make your system quite hot so airflow would be quite important.

Since I tend to break rather than fix, I think I will let the tech guy do the Advanced system settings thing this coming Friday. I took a picture of one blue screen and the BCCode was 1E but it is not the same every time but usually either 1e or 1d with the BCP1,2,3,4 all followed by 16 0's

Since the crashes can be 2 to 4 hrs apart, I am not always in front of the computer when it crashes,  I am thinking it might not be a good idea to turn off the auto-shut down.