JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Tuesday, December 10

Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it.—Gen. 1:28.

Was that stated purpose foiled by the rebellion in the garden of Eden? Absolutely not! Jehovah immediately reacted to that new situation by using an alternate “route” to achieve his purpose. He foretold the appearance of a “seed” who would undo the damage done by the rebels. (Gen. 3:15; Heb. 2:14-17; 1 John 3:8) Jehovah’s ability to adapt to new circumstances while in the process of bringing his purpose to completion is in harmony with a description he gave of himself. When Moses presented Jehovah with potential impediments to the assignment he had been given, Jehovah assured him by saying: “‘I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be.’ And he added: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, “I shall prove to be has sent me to you.”’” (Ex. 3:14) Yes, Jehovah is able to become whatever he needs to become in order to accomplish his purpose fully! w11 5/15 4:6, 7

http://wol.jw.org

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rotherham’s translation renders it: “I Will Become whatsoever I please.” Jehovah’s name reveals that he is a God of innumerable roles. To use a simple illustration: A mother may need to fill many roles each day in caring for her children—as a nurse, a cook, a teacher—according to the need that arises. It is similar with Jehovah, though on a more elevated level. In order to accomplish his loving purpose for mankind, he can become whatever he pleases, filling whatever role is needed. Knowing Jehovah by name thus involves understanding and appreciating his many roles.

I love the way that Jehovah always continues to teach us! This simple example of how a woman fills many roles is easy to grasp and see how it reflects Jehovah. When I was learning the Bible truths the scriptures 'I am what I am' and 'I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be' always sounded flippant to me-almost sarcastic. When I heard the example years later it was such a simple, concise explanation of something that I had just accepted but did not really have a meaning for me that I could explain to others. I love it because it shows me with determination and Jehovahs help we too can become what he purposed us to be. It reminds me of a word used all the time on the home improvement channels 'repurpose'. Where an item was made for one use and it has served it's purpose and is now being used to fulfill another need.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Wednesday, December 11

His heart did not prove to be complete with Jehovah.—1 Ki. 11:4.

Will we let Solomon’s course be a warning example for us? (1 Ki. 11:1-6) A sister might attempt to rationalize forming a romantic link that ignores God’s directive to marry “only in the Lord.” (1 Cor. 7:39) With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school, underreport taxable income, or tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing. The point is, Solomon must have used imperfect reasoning to get around what God commanded, and that same danger exists for us. Solomon had ignored God’s instructions, yet there is no indication that Jehovah quickly rejected him as king or strongly disciplined him. The Bible even relates that God granted his request for wisdom, and He also added riches. (1 Ki. 3:10-13) That accords with the fact that God realizes that we are imperfect humans, made from dust. (Ps. 103:10, 13, 14) Remember though: Our actions can have consequences now or perhaps down the line. w11 12/15 1:10, 14, 15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thursday, December 12

The law of that spirit which gives life . . . has set you free.—Rom. 8:2.

The word “law” here does not refer to certain rules, such as those in the Mosaic Law. One reference work suggests: “The Greek term for law here means an inward principle of action—either good or evil—operating with the regularity of a law. The term also designates a standard for a person’s life.” The Mosaic Law, with its many commandments, condemned sinners. Moreover, Israel’s high priests serving under the Law were imperfect and could not offer an adequate sacrifice for sin. Hence, the Law was “weak through the flesh.” But “by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh” and offering him as a ransom, God overcame the “incapability on the part of the Law.” As a result, anointed Christians are counted righteous on the basis of their faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice. They are urged to “walk, not in accord with the flesh, but in accord with the spirit.”—Rom. 8:3, 4w11 11/15 2:8, 9

Friday, December 13

Let both grow together until the harvest.—Matt. 13:30.

In a parable, Jesus indicated that from the first century onward, there would always be some genuine anointed Christians on the earth. He compared them to “wheat” growing among “weeds.” Of course, we cannot say for certain who they were, but we can confirm that there have always been some who have courageously defended God’s Word and exposed the church’s unscriptural teachings. For example, Archbishop Agobard of Lyons, France (779-840 C.E.), spoke out against image worship, churches dedicated to saints, and the church’s unscriptural liturgies and practices. Bishop Claudius, a contemporary of his, also rejected church tradition and objected to prayers to saints and the veneration of relics. In the 11th century, Archdeacon Berengarius of Tours, France, was excommunicated for rejecting the Catholic teaching of transubstantiation. Moreover, he held that the Bible is superior to church tradition. w121/15 1:14, 15

It will be interesting to talk with some of these faithful one who were like wheat among weeds when we meet them in the New World. Do you suppose there will be arrangements for guest speakers like these brothers of old to come and encourage us? Or do you suppose there will be faithful individuals living right among us? After dinner someone says: "Brother Agobard, tell us about when you lived in France."

It will be interesting to talk with some of these faithful one who were like wheat among weeds when we meet them in the New World. Do you suppose there will be arrangements for guest speakers like these brothers of old to come and encourage us? Or do you suppose there will be faithful individuals living right among us? After dinner someone says: "Brother Agobard, tell us about when you lived in France."

I hope it is both, I picture some in the traveling work as it is now. Only they stay weeks not a week, and share with us. 

Saturday, December 14

I must declare the good news of the kingdom.—Luke 4:43.

Was Jesus so focused on his work that he was a fanatic or an ascetic? Was he so absorbed in his ministry that he was aloof from the practical needs of families? No, Jesus set a perfect example of balance. He enjoyed life, taking pleasure in happy times with his friends. He valued families, showing profound empathy for their needs and problems, and he freely showed his affection for children. (Mark 10:13-16) As we imitate Jesus’ example of watchfulness, we do not let this world distract us from our work. Even well-meaning friends and relatives may urge us to slow down in our ministry or to seek what they see as a normal life. If we imitate Jesus, however, we view our ministry as if it were food. (John 4:34) Our work nourishes us spiritually and brings us delight as well. Yet, we never want to be extremists, displaying a self-righteous or ascetic spirit. Like Jesus, we want to be joyful, balanced servants of “the happy God.”—1 Tim. 1:11w122/15 1:11-13

Food! Yes I want to have a meal every day'. Sometimes when I am sick I can not and/or will not eat. For the first time ever I compared this to when we can not/or will not pray or attend meetings because we feel to sick in spirit to do so.

How do they treat this condition in the hospital! Light meals, or graduated meals till feeling better. But even if you can not take a meal in (NPO--nothing by mouth) there is someone there (dr. Or nurse) seeing that you get some nutrition/fluids by some other means. As in praying for us when we are unable.

Jehovah constantly providing for us. ...

LeslieDean

Sunday, December 15

Preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season, reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all long-suffering and art of teaching.—2 Tim. 4:2.

The call to ‘be at our ministry urgently’ is not intended to overwhelm us with our commission. Nevertheless, the preaching work should take priority in our lives. The example of a small group of Bible Students who prior to 1914 set out to preach the good news illustrates what it means to have a sense of urgency. Although they were only a few thousand strong, they appreciated the urgency of the times and enthusiastically took up the Kingdom preaching work. They had sermons published in hundreds of newspapers and presented a program of color slides and motion pictures called the “Photo-Drama of Creation.” In this way, they reached millions with the good news. If they had not had a sense of urgency, how many of us would have heard the Kingdom message?—Ps. 119:60w12 3/15 2:9, 10

Monday, December 16

O Lord, I am conscious that a man’s way is not in himself: man has no power of guiding his steps.—Jer. 10:23, “The Bible in Basic English.”

Would it not be foolhardy for an inexperienced person to set off alone, without a skilled guide and not so much as a compass, hiking deep into an uncharted wilderness? Not knowing how to survive inhospitable conditions in the wild and not having the expertise to find his way safely to his destination, he would be putting his life in jeopardy. So, too, the person who thinks he can direct his course through this wicked world without allowing God to show him the right way is placing his life in grave danger. The only chance we have of traversing this system of things successfully is to make the same prayerful request to Jehovah that David did: “Let my steps take hold on your tracks, in which my footsteps will certainly not be made to totter.”—Ps. 17:5; 23:3w11 12/15 2:7, 8

Why is world peace so elusive?

Though humans have accomplished much, they do not have the ability to direct their own steps. (Jer. 10:23) Satan controls the world, so humans will not be able to bring peace. (1 John 5:19)—6/1, page 16.

I am loving ASL because it is teaching me HOW to be focused on an answer!  Before, when someone would ask me something, I knew the answer but I was SO APPRECIATIVE of being informed of the answers that I did not want to miss telling them one single thing.  I would think there is so much evidence what if I did not tell them everything--what if I missed the one answer that would be their light bulb moment???  So I would try and cover it thoroughly!  LOL.  How mind numbing boring when being swamped with so much. ASL is forcing me to answer briefly!  I don't even use 30 secs for comments anymore!  Except here!!! 

The question and statement with cited scripture is so simple to remember and provides the correct answer!  It is just now sinking in that if the person is a sheep they will recognize the sound of trut

I have always known that but for so reason it is just taking root.

Thanks Vernalee!  I look forward to this everyday because it feels like I am sharing a morning cup of coffee with a good friend!  I love YOU!

LeslieDean

Tuesday, December 17

We sought to go forth into Macedonia, drawing the conclusion that God had summoned us to declare the good news to them.—Acts 16:10.

You may have been thinking about serving as a pioneer or moving to an area where the need is greater. But it may be only after you take steps to reach your goal that Jesus, by means of God’s spirit, will guide you. To illustrate: A driver can direct his car to turn left or right but only if the car is moving. Likewise, Jesus may direct us in expanding our ministry but only if we are moving—if we are putting forth effort to reach our goal. What, though, if your efforts do not bear fruit right away? Should you give up, concluding that God’s spirit is not guiding you? Well, remember that Paul too encountered setbacks. Yet, he kept on searching and knocking until he found a door that opened. Similarly, if you persevere in searching for “a large door that leads to activity,” you too may be rewarded.—1 Cor. 16:9w12 1/15 2:4, 8, 9

Every day God allows humans—even the most thankless among them—to benefit from his abundant goodness

When I meditate on the above statement it really produces a heart full of gratitude. How can I, a person so insignificant and unworthy, be offered such an important task as being involved in declaring Jehovah's name?

Very few of us have the opportunity and circumstances to be a pioneer but we can certainly adopt the spirit of a pioneer by using and making opportunities to share the good news.

LeslieDean

That is so true Leslie. At the 2 day we just had, the focus was on increasing our service and then also to try to pioneer. Even if all we can do is have a pioneer day, it is having the pioneer spirit. That assembly gave me a whole lot to think about, and the words I need to say to myself to have the courage to either quit work or greatly reduce my work days. :wub:

Wednesday, December 18

No man that has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well fitted for the kingdom of God.—Luke 9:62.

That is how Jesus answered a man who had asked if he could return to his family to say good-bye before becoming a disciple. Was Jesus being harsh or unreasonable in answering this way? No, for he knew that the man’s request was merely an excuse to evade responsibility. Jesus described such procrastination as looking at “the things behind.” Does it matter whether the person plowing looks momentarily at what is behind or actually puts down the plow and turns around? Either way he is distracted from what he should be doing, and his work may be affected negatively. Rather than turning our attention to the past, we must keep our eyes focused on what is yet ahead. Notice how this is clearly expressed at Proverbs 4:25: “As for your eyes, straight ahead they should look, yes, your own beaming eyes should gaze straight in front of you.” w12 3/15 4:3, 4

Thursday, December 19

I will laud you in the big congregation.—Ps. 35:18.

The psalmist did not hold back from praising Jehovah when he was with other servants of God. Weekly congregation meetings, including the Watchtower Study, present fine opportunities for us to display a zealous spirit when we comment and make expressions of faith. All of us may well ask ourselves: ‘Am I taking full advantage of the privilege to participate in meetings? Do I prepare well for them and make meaningful comments? As a family head, do I help my children to prepare comments in advance and teach them to answer in their own words?’ The psalmist David associated the steadfastness of our heart with our singing. (Ps. 57:7) The songs used at Christian meetings provide us a fine opportunity to “sing and make melody” to Jehovah with a steadfast heart. May we be determined to ‘sing to Jehovah throughout our life and make melody to him as long as we are.’—Ps. 104:33w12 2/15 3:3, 4

I know that I love it when brothers and sisters have a comment at the meeting that is well thought out and that challenges me to think.  I try to do the same when I comment.  It just makes the words on the pages come to life when people talk about them in their own words.  

Then again, it is also encouraging when someone that obviously struggles to comment reads theirs straight from the magazine, because I know how hard that is for them to do.  Going to go help a sister tonight with something at her home, and she struggles mightily with self-confidence and the quality of her comments.  Like a brother once said about our singing, "we may think we sound bad, but Jehovah has perfect ears".  Jehovah appreciates all of our comments and efforts in singing and knows what it takes for us to do that.  :)

Friday, December 20

Jehovah your God is with you wherever you go.—Josh. 1:9.

Shortly after the Exodus, the Amalekites launched an unprovoked attack on God’s people. Although totally unaccustomed to war, the Israelites had to engage in their first military action as a freed people. (Ex. 13:17; 17:8) Jehovah directed that Joshua lead the force that would vanquish the enemy. With Joshua’s implicit obedience and his keen appreciation for the guidance of God’s holy spirit, Israel proved victorious. (Ex. 17:9-13) Later Joshua, “full of the spirit of wisdom,” succeeded Moses. (Deut. 34:9) Holy spirit did not produce in him the ability to prophesy or to perform miracles as it had in Moses, but it did enable Joshua to lead Israel in the military campaign that brought about the conquest of Canaan. Today, we may feel inexperienced or underqualified to carry out certain aspects of our sacred service. Yet, like Joshua, we are assured of success if we adhere closely to divine instruction.—Josh. 1:7-9w11 12/15 3:9-11

http://wol.jw.org/