JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Key scripture: “If a person never makes a mistake in what he says, he is perfect.” (James 3:2, Good News Translation) The point? No one has complete control of the tongue. Most can relate to Annette,* who confides: “The speed bump between my brain and my mouth often turns into a launching pad.”

True story: “A friend expressed interest in some clothes I was getting rid of. Without thinking, I said, ‘I don’t think they’ll fit you.’ She replied, ‘What? Do you think I’m fat?’”—Corrine.

To understand why you might occasionally lose control of your speech, try the following.

● Identify your weakness.

․․․․․ I tend to speak out of anger

․․․․․ I tend to speak without thinking

I just love having that link to jwonline so handy! Thank you Vernalee!

I remember having prayed in the past for Jehovah to please remove the angry words from my mouth when having to defend my position to him regarding the Truth. What happened? I became so wrapped up and emotional that I could not get the words out. I was stumbling all over the place. Rick replied "Calm down Elmer Fudd." I was still mad but we both started laughing so hard that the argument was over.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I try to think for a few seconds before I respond to an argument. My first inclination is to lash out before I think, but I have learned and am still learning to think first and then speak. O to have the tongue in control. Sure would solve a lot of misunderstandings, huh?

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thursday, November 7

Keep on . . . seeking first [God’srighteousness.—Matt. 6:33.

This means putting Jehovah’s standard of what is right and what is wrong ahead of human norms. (Isa. 55:8, 9) You may recall that in the past, a number of people were involved in growing tobacco or selling tobacco products, training others in warfare, or producing and selling weapons of war. After coming to a knowledge of the truth, most chose to change their employment and qualify for baptism. (Isa. 2:4; 2 Cor. 7:1; Gal. 5:14) Jesus told his disciples: “If you have faith the size of a mustard grain, you will say to this mountain, ‘Transfer from here to there,’ and it will transfer, and nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matt. 17:20) Would you be able to put God’s standards foremost if that would result in difficulties? If you are uncertain whether you could do so, speak with other members of the congregation. You will no doubt find it spiritually refreshing to hear their experiences. w11 9/15 2:10, 12

http://wol.jw.org

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Whether the prophetic message recorded in the first five chapters of the book of Isaiah is delivered before Isaiah’s appointment as a prophet or after, the Bible does not say. (Isaiah 6:6-9) What is clear, though, is that Judah and Jerusalem are spiritually sick “from the sole of the foot even to the head.” (Isaiah 1:6) Idolatry is rampant. Leaders are corrupt. Women have become haughty. People do not serve the true God acceptably. Isaiah is commissioned to go and speak “again and again” to those who neither understand nor want any knowledge.

No matter what you read in the bible it all comes back to the preaching work. Loved the very last sentence of the above quote. Pinpoints that the message has been delivered throughout time to people who don't even understand but to those who do not want it. Nothing new. Same old same old. BUT we continue to serve our God and carry out His will and not our own. Jehovah is building up our faith and loyalty in Him. Many times I feel the preaching activity is really more for our benefit than others. It keeps us built up spiritually and close knit as a group of loyal servants to our God. If others join in that is great but I am more inclined it is more for us. If others want to change great! But it is to keep us from changing.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Friday, November 8

It is well for them that they remain even as I am.—1 Cor. 7:8.

Some assignments open to single pioneers might prove difficult for those who are married or who have children. Paul thought about the potential he observed for advancing the good news among the local congregations. He wanted all to have joy, as he did. For that reason, he spoke favorably of serving Jehovah as a single person. A single pioneer sister from the United States wrote: “Some people believe that happiness is unattainable for the unmarried. But I have seen that lasting happiness depends on a person’s friendship with Jehovah. Singleness is an amazing gift if you take advantage of it. I know that Jehovah excludes no one, single or married, from his tender affections.” She now happily serves in a land where there is a greater need for Kingdom publishers. If you are single, can you use your freedom to expand your share in teaching others the truth? You too may find singleness to be a priceless gift from Jehovah. w11 10/15 2:5, 8, 9

Saturday, November 9

I behold in my members another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law.—Rom. 7:23.

Paul was not indulging in self-justification or self-pity, as though he were so heavily laden with sin that he could not help himself. After all, he was a mature, spirit-anointed Christian, chosen to be “an apostle to the nations.” (Rom. 1:1; 11:13) Paul was honestly acknowledging that on his own, he was incapable of doing God’s will to the extent that he himself desired. The reason? “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” he said. (Rom. 3:23) As a descendant of Adam, Paul was subject to the effects of sin on the imperfect flesh. We can relate to him because all of us are imperfect and have to face similar struggles every day. Moreover, there are many distractions that could divert our attention and take us off ‘the cramped road leading into life.’ (Matt. 7:14) However, the situation was not hopeless for Paul, and it is not for us. w11 11/15 2:3, 4

Sunday, November 10

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Your spirit is good; may it lead me.—Ps. 143:10.

What is the true nature of holy spirit? A footnote at Genesis 1:2 in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures—With References states: “Besides being translated ‘spirit,’ ru′ach [Hebrew] is also translated ‘wind’ and by other words that denote an invisible active force.” (Compare footnotes at Genesis 3:8; 8:1.) Just as wind is invisible but exerts force, so the immaterial, impersonal holy spirit is unseen but produces effects. This spirit is energy from God projected and exerted on people or things to accomplish his will. Can Jehovah continue to use his spirit to guide us through life? He promised the psalmist David: “I shall make you have insight and instruct you in the way you should go.” (Ps. 32:8) Did David want that? Yes, for he appealed to Jehovah using the words of today’s text. We should have the same desire and willingness to be guided by God’s spirit. w11 12/15 2:5, 6

Monday, November 11

They were forbidden by the holy spirit to speak the word in the district of Asia.—Acts 16:6.

Evidently Jesus—by means of God’s spirit—wanted to guide Paul and his companions in a different direction. Where did the eager travelers go? Verse 7 explains: “Further, when getting down to Mysia they made efforts to go into Bithynia, but the spirit of Jesus did not permit them.” Prevented from preaching in Asia, Paul and his companions turned northward, intending to preach in the cities of Bithynia. However, when they neared Bithynia, Jesus again used the holy spirit to block them. By then, the men must have been puzzled. They knew what to preach and how to preach, but they did not know whereto preach. We might put it this way: They had knocked on the door leading to Asia—but in vain. They had knocked on the door leading to Bithynia—again in vain. Did they stop knocking? Not those zealous preachers! w12 1/15 2:4-6

Monday, November 11

They were forbidden by the holy spirit to speak the word in the district of Asia.—Acts 16:6.

Evidently Jesus—by means of God’s spirit—wanted to guide Paul and his companions in a different direction. Where did the eager travelers go? Verse 7 explains: “Further, when getting down to Mysia they made efforts to go into Bithynia, but the spirit of Jesus did not permit them.” Prevented from preaching in Asia, Paul and his companions turned northward, intending to preach in the cities of Bithynia. However, when they neared Bithynia, Jesus again used the holy spirit to block them. By then, the men must have been puzzled. They knew what to preach and how to preach, but they did not know whereto preach. We might put it this way: They had knocked on the door leading to Asia—but in vain. They had knocked on the door leading to Bithynia—again in vain. Did they stop knocking? Not those zealous preachers! w12 1/15 2:4-6

Can we infere from this that not only Jehovah, but also Jesus can maneuver the Holy Spirit? Never noticed this before...

Can we infere from this that not only Jehovah, but also Jesus can maneuver the Holy Spirit? Never noticed this before...

Of course! When Jesus was making "all other things" back in the early days of creation, he would have been doing so with power from Jehovah.

Even when Paul and other early disciples performed miracles, they did so with Jehovah's holy spirit.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Of course! When Jesus was making "all other things" back in the early days of creation, he would have been doing so with power from Jehovah.Even when Paul and other early disciples performed miracles, they did so with Jehovah's holy spirit.
Yes I know... but somehow the sentence
Jesus used "the" holly spirit
sounded different to me... like the apostles where able to do something due to the power of the holy spirit that they received but this holy spirit being conducted by Jehova... I mean, they couldn't conduct the holy spirit but where conducted by it by means of what Jehovah as made possible... here I imagine Jesus himself conducting the holy spirit, I mean "tweaking" it (for the lack of a better word)
Edited by jayrtom

John 15:26 “When the helper arrives that I will send you from the Father, the spirit of the truth, which proceeds from the Father, that one will bear witness about me;”

Yeah, Jesus conducts it.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Tuesday, November 12

[Jesuscontinued the whole night in prayer.—Luke 6:12.

What can we learn from Jesus’ example? That we must spend long hours in prayer? No, for he kindly acknowledged about his followers: “The spirit, of course, is eager, but the flesh is weak.” (Matt. 26:41) Nevertheless, we can imitate Jesus. For instance, do we consult our heavenly Father before making any decision that may affect us, our family, or our fellow believers spiritually? Do our prayers include concerns about our brothers and sisters in the faith? Do we pray from the heart rather than repeat a set form of expressions? Notice, too, that Jesus valued intimate, private talk with his Father. In today’s busy, hectic world, it is all too easy to get so caught up in the rush of life that we forget what matters most. If we make ample time for in-depth, private prayer, we will be more spiritually alert. (Matt. 6:6, 7) We will draw closer to Jehovah, eager to strengthen our relationship with him.—Ps. 25:14w12 2/15 1:8, 9

Wednesday, November 13

Let your utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt.—Col. 4:6.

Do you like to be awakened from a deep sleep? Many do not react well when awakened suddenly. A gentle approach is usually preferred. The same is true regarding efforts to awaken people spiritually. For example, if a householder reacts angrily to your visit, what is usually the best response? Kindly acknowledge his feelings, thank him for being frank, and calmly take your leave. (Prov. 15:1; 17:14; 2 Tim. 2:24) Your kindness may move such a person to react more positively the next time a Witness calls. In other cases, you may be able to overcome a negative reaction. Someone may say, “No thank you. I have my own religion” or, “I am not interested” merely because it seems the easiest way to end the conversation. Yet, with skill and kind persistence, you may be able to raise an intriguing question that awakens the householder’s interest in spiritual things. w12 3/15 1:15, 16

I like this scripture applied to married life too.  I know when I wake my wife up from a deep sleep her utterances are not always seasoned with salt. lol

In everyday married life it would be wonderful to have all conversations seasoned with salt.  (ain't happenin)  But we keep trying, right? It's what Jehovah wants us to do. Please hurry new world!

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

I am usually in a good mood when I wake up, but when I am tired, my words really need more salt and less pepper.

Thursday, November 14

This is not the way among you.—Mark 10:43.

Today, brothers who are “reaching out for an office of overseer” do well to examine themselves as to why they are reaching out. (1 Tim. 3:1) Those who are now elders may want to ask themselves frankly whether they have a desire for authority or prominence as some of the apostles did. If the apostles had difficulty in this area, then elders can appreciate that they need to work hard to avoid any worldly tendency to enjoy having authority over others. Granted, there are times when the elders need to be firm, such as when protecting the flock from “oppressive wolves.” (Acts 20:28-30) Paul told Titus to keep “exhorting and reproving with full authority.” (Titus 2:15) Yet, even when having to take such action, the elders try to dignify the ones who are involved. They appreciate that rather than harsh criticism, gentle persuasion is usually more effective in reaching hearts and in moving someone to follow a right course. w11 6/15 3:17-19

Friday, November 15

Even though a man takes some false step before he is aware of it, you who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man.—Gal. 6:1.

It is not easy to accept counsel from an imperfect human, no matter how tactfully and lovingly the counsel is presented. Yet, if we respond favorably, we will become even more desirable in God’s sight. Curiously, when we pray, we freely admit that we are imperfect. However, when someone draws a specific failing to our attention, the tendency is to try to justify ourselves, minimize the problem, question the motive of the counselor, or object to the way in which the counsel was delivered. (2 Ki. 5:11) And if the counsel touches a particularly sensitive area—the actions of a family member, our dress and grooming, our personal hygiene, or a form of recreation that we enjoy but that Jehovah hates—we might react quite negatively, to our own surprise and to our counselor’s dismay! But after we calm down, we usually concede that the counsel was appropriate. w11 7/15 4:5

Saturday, November 16

Just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man.—Luke 17:26.

Jesus was referring to the people’s way of life. (Matt. 24:37-39) The majority of the people in Noah’s day did not show interest in God, let alone endeavor to please him. What had distracted them? Nothing extraordinary. Eating, drinking, and marrying—things that are normal aspects of life. The real problem was that “they took no note,” as Jesus said. Like Noah and his family, we have much to do every day. We need to make a living and to take care of ourselves and our family. That can occupy a large portion of our time, energy, and resources. We also share in the ministry, prepare for and attend Christian meetings, and keep spiritually strong by personal study and family worship. Surely, keeping the weight we have to carry to a minimum, as well as avoiding taking on any unnecessary burden, is vital if we are to run the Christian race to the finish. w11 9/15 4:4, 5

Sunday, November 17

As the last enemy, death is to be brought to nothing.—1 Cor. 15:26.

Even if we ourselves should face death because of our firm stand as Christians, Jehovah can and will help us to maintain our integrity to him. Furthermore, we are comforted by the hope of the resurrection. God’s loyal servants who have died, as well as others, are in Jehovah’s infallible memory and will be resurrected. (John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15) Confidence in Jehovah’s resurrection promise brings us comfort and a sure hope during times of persecution. How comforting it is to know that our loved ones now asleep in mankind’s common grave have the prospect of resuming life in a wonderful new world free of all the present-day causes of distress! And what a privilege it will be for the “great crowd” of Jehovah’s servants who survive the end of this wicked system of things to welcome and instruct those resurrected to life on earth!—Rev. 7:9, 10w11 10/15 3:16, 17

Monday, November 18

Let those . . . making use of the world [beas those not using it to the full.—1 Cor. 7:29, 31.

Vigilant Christians refrain from using the world to the full with regard to higher education. Many people in this world consider higher education an indispensable stepping-stone to prestige and an affluent life. But we Christians live as temporary residents and pursue different goals. We avoid “minding lofty things.” (Rom. 12:16; Jer. 45:5) Since we are Jesus’ followers, we heed his warning: “Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of covetousness, because even when a person has an abundance his life does not result from the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15) Consequently, young Christians are encouraged to pursue spiritual goals, getting only as much education as is required to meet their basic needs while focusing on preparing themselves to serve Jehovah ‘with their whole heart, soul, strength, and mind.’ (Luke 10:27) Thus, they can become “rich toward God.”—Luke 12:21; Matt. 6:19-21w11 11/15 3:10, 11

Tuesday, November 19

The copper altar that Bezalel . . . had made had been put before the tabernacle of Jehovah.—2 Chron. 1:5.

Unlike modern-day manufacturers, Bezalel and Oholiab had no interest in leaving their signature or trademark on their work. All credit went to Jehovah for their accomplishments. (Ex. 36:1, 2) Today, we may be faced with daunting tasks requiring special skills, such as building, printing, organizing conventions, administering disaster relief, and communicating with doctors and hospital personnel about our Scriptural position on the use of blood. Often these deeds are carried out by volunteers without much background in a specific field. God’s spirit makes their efforts succeed. Have you held back from accepting an assignment in Jehovah’s service, feeling that others were more qualified than you? Remember, Jehovah’s spirit can enhance your knowledge and abilities and help you to fulfill any assignment he gives you. w11 12/15 3:7, 8

http://wol.jw.org/en

Wednesday, November 20

Jesus has become the one given in pledge of a better covenant.—Heb. 7:22.

In his letter to the Hebrews, Paul explained that the tabernacle was merely “a shadow of the heavenly things” and that Jesus became the Mediator of “a better covenant” than that mediated by Moses. (Heb. 8:1-5) In Paul’s day, such explanations of the Law were invaluable to Christians, and they still are. They help us to grasp more fully the value of the provisions that God has made for us. Writing to the Romans, Paul directed some of his comments to congregation members who were of Jewish stock and who had been instructed in the Mosaic Law. He acknowledged that such ones had the advantage of possessing a “framework of the knowledge and of the truth” concerning Jehovah and his righteous principles. A grasp of that ‘framework of truth’ and heartfelt respect for it enabled Jewish Christians to guide, teach, and illuminate those who were in ignorance of the Law.—Rom. 2:17-20w12 1/15 3:1, 2

http://wol.jw.org/