JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Tuesday, October 8

Keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.—Matt. 6:33.

People of the world tend to seek personal interests first as “men of this system of things, whose share is in this life.” (Ps. 17:1, 13-15) With no regard for their Creator, many devote themselves to making a comfortable living, raising a family, and leaving behind an inheritance. In contrast, many Christians have put spiritual activities ahead of their secular employment. Some who have been in a situation where their job seemed at risk may have wondered, ‘How will I fulfill my responsibility to provide for my family?’ (1 Tim. 5:8) Whether you have faced a similar challenge or not, from your own experience you are likely sure that you will never be disappointed if you highly treasure the privilege of serving Jehovah. Our trust in God’s power to provide becomes more and more important as we move deeper into the last days.—Rev. 13:17w11 9/15 2:6, 8, 9

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one of My favorite scriptures & it is soooo!!!! True when you put Jehovah first he blesses you in so many ways.

You receive joy when you go out in the preaching work, You are definitely made happier spiritually. I have found too that when you follow this scripture 

your problems a few & you can cope better.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

"You surely have read the 22nd Psalm which most clearly speaks of our Lord’s crucifixion. Read verse 16.  It states, “Dogs have compassed me; the assembly of the wicked has enclosed me; they pierced my hands and my feet.” Of whom does the prophet speak other than our Lord?

It does not read in Hebrew "they pierced my hands and my feet." It reads "like a lion, they are at my hands and my feet." The Hebrew word is kaari. It means "like a lion." It does not mean "pierced." Furthermore, this is no accident of translating,  It is deliberate. Other places in the Old Testament, such as Isaiah 38:13, the Hebrew work kaari is translated "like a lion," as it should be. Only at Psalm 22:16 (some translations have it vs 17) is it "pierced." a word that, in this setting, just sounds so much better for religionist church translators! Never mind that there actually are Hebrew words that mean pierced - words that are not used in the verse. No, we'll just change the word kaari so as to support an image we like!

Well.....honest mistake, reply some churchy types that know of the switch. You see, they explain, those early church translators mistook kaari for kaaru.....it's only one letter off, and kaaru means "pierced." They probably suppose Jesus maneuvered matters this way. The only trouble, is that there is no kaaru. No such word. Or, at least, not until those religionists coined it to justify their mistranslation.

Now, I didn't know any of this. I checked various translations, some in my own library and some on the internet. The website BibleGateway.com has a feature by which one may compare different translations. I refer to it a lot. Out of the 18 English translations listed, none have "like a lion" at vs 16. They all say "pierced" or (in two cases) phrases that mean pierced.StudyLight.org makes 37 complete English translations (there is some overlap with BibleGateway) available for comparison. Only four say "like a lion." Four translations out of fifty! So I look up the verse in the New World Translation, the one used by Jehovah's Witnesses:

For dogs have surrounded me; The assembly of evildoers themselves have enclosed me. Like a lion [they are at] my hands and my feet.

The NWT gets it right, one of only a handful of translations to do so! Since the other accurate translations are all somewhat obscure - not well known - for all practical purposes, the NWT is the only accurate one available. Moreover, in translating the word kaari accurately, the NWT works "against" its translators own interests, since we also believe the Christ is foretold in various psalms, including the 22nd. We'd love it to say "pierced," too. but it doesn't. No fair stacking the deck. Accuracy in translating comes first. The Foreword of the New World Translation says, in part: The translators of this work, who fear and love the Divine Author of the Holy Scriptures, feel toward Him a special responsibility to transmit his thoughts and declarations as accurately as possible. They ought to cite Ps 22:16 as a case in point, for here they ignore a rendering they must instinctively agree with doctrinally, because the original Hebrew word does not allow it!

the New World Translation got Ps 22:16 right, when virtually nobody else did. Everyone else repeats uncritically (they surely by now have had opportunity to correct matters) the faulty King James rendering! Rather, they vigorously defend it. Possibly, one might (gingerly) allow that the verse, in Hebrew, is homonymic. Alas, such wordplay, along with poetic devices as alliteration, rhyme, onomatopoeia, and so forth, is not translatable. Even if you were to attempt it, you still need a good dose of "translator privilege" to derive pierced. Not to be lost sight of is the fact that this verse is not cited as messianic in the New Testament although several other Ps 22 verses are. In the end, responsible translating demands you translate only what is actually there. (in a footnote, the NWT Large Print with References includes two alternate readings: Biting like a lion my hand and my feet (Targum) and They bored (dug through) my hands and my feet. (Septuagint, Vulgate))

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

Wednesday, October 9

It is well for them that they remain even as I am.—1 Cor. 7:8.

Although Paul was unmarried, he did not exalt himself over those who were married, as the celibate clergy of Christendom do. Rather, the apostle highlighted an advantage that many unmarried ministers of the good news enjoy. What is that advantage? A single Christian often has the flexibility to accept assignments in Jehovah’s service that might be out of reach for a married person. Paul received a special privilege as “an apostle to the nations.” (Rom. 11:13) Read Acts chapters 13 through 20, and follow him and his fellow missionaries as they open up territories and establish congregations in one place after another. In his service, Paul endured hardships that few today will face. (2 Cor. 11:23-27, 32, 33) But his joy in helping many to become disciples made those difficulties worthwhile. (1 Thess. 1:2-7, 9; 2:19) Would he have accomplished all that he did had he been married or had a family? Probably not. w11 10/15 2:5, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Interesting.  I LOVE this type of research.  I'll take this a step further according to the research I just did.  I have at my disposal (given to me by a sister years ago) the Analytical Concordance to the Bible by Young and published by Funk & Wagnalls Company.  It supports the Revised and Authorized edition.  It is quite exhaustive and one of the most complete concordances I have seen (about 311,000 references of both Greek and Hebrew originals with the literal meaning and pronounciation.

I have used this concordance to show in so many places how the Revised and Authorized addition (as well as many other English translations) have many, many flaws and inaccuracies of translation. Flaws and inaccuracies that a laymen in translation such as I am can easily detect.  Since there are so many that this concordance exposes (Not deliberately I must add) it  leads one to conclude that these errors goes beyond translator error to translator corruption to support a doctrine.  But this is another subject altogether.

So what does it say about Ps. 22:16? (Keep in mind this is the Hebrew taken from the manuscripts that were used for the Revised and Authorized addition)

I looked up the Hebrew word 'kaari'.  Hmmm, doesn't exist.  Why?  Maybe it's made up of two or more words.

I then looked up the English word, 'pierced'.  3 references.  1. - PIERCE, (through), to --  2. PIERCED, to be --  3. PIERCING --  I find the word kaari under the 1st reference (PIERCE (through)).  It then shows Ps. 22:16 as the only place kaari is used and defines it, 'as a lion'.  Hmmm, but the Revised translates it as 'pierced'.  It says that the AV uses the word karah to mean, as if from (a lion).  But in both editions they use 'pierced' and not anything to do with a lion.

Still, I can't find 'kaari' in the Hebrew listed words.  So then I go to the English word 'lion'.  This explains why I can't find kaari.  The main word for lion is, 'ari' or aryeh (there are several other words, such as, 'labi and 'shachal', but these mean LION, great, old, stout or bold and LION - fierce -- (such as roaring lion) respectively.

This gets more interesting.  The word 'ari' is used in Is. 38:13 and reads, 'as a lion, so will he break all my bones.  It's also used in 2 places in Ps. 22.  Verse 13 which reads, 'gaped..(as) a ravening and a roaring lion' and verse 21 which reads, 'Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou...'  So why doesn't it translate it properly in verse 16, but uses the word, 'pierced'?  

So then I go back to the listed Hebrew words and look up 'ari' and there it is: 78 times in the Hebrew manuscript it is translated correctly as lion.  One time it is translated as pierce (Ps. 22:16, of course).  Then I see an asterisk by the word pierce and there is an explanation at the bottom of the page (which is found at the bottom of every page which lists both Hebrew and Greek words and the asterisk means the same thing on every page)  The note says, "* Inexact translations, e.g., of a noun by a verb or adjective, of an active by a passive'

Yes, indeed Ken once again our translation has translated it correctly.  And as you said (or referenced), "in translating the word kaari accurately, the NWT works "against" its translators own interests, since we also believe the Christ is foretold in various psalms, including the 22nd. We'd love it to say "pierced," too. but it doesn't. No fair stacking the deck. Accuracy in translating comes first."

I used to do this a lot and 100% of the time I have found the NWT a far superior, more accurately translated Bible.  This was entertaining, yet very serious for me as I had to prove to myself and not at the word of others that the NWT is truly as accurate as claimed.  I haven't done this kind of research in a few years but once again the faithful slave have proven their honesty and integrity to accurate Bible translation which has helped me in particular to put my trust in the direction they are leading us.  It's so obvious who Jehovah is using.

Edited by Robroy

Interesting - I never thought to look this up. I see the "NET Bible" does well also - even though they believe in the cross.

22:16 Yes, wild dogs surround me – a gang of evil men crowd around me; like a lion they pin my hands and feet.

footnote:

Heb “like a lion, my hands and my feet.” This reading is often emended because it is grammatically awkward, but perhaps its awkwardness is by rhetorical design. Its broken syntax may be intended to convey the panic and terror felt by the psalmist. The psalmist may envision a lion pinning the hands and feet of its victim to the ground with its paws (a scene depicted in ancient Near Eastern art), or a lion biting the hands and feet. The line has been traditionally translated, “they pierce my hands and feet,” and then taken as foreshadowing the crucifixion of Christ. Though Jesus does appropriate the language of this psalm while on the cross (compare v. 1 with Matt 27:46 and Mark 15:34), the NT does not cite this verse in describing the death of Jesus. (It does refer to vv. 7-8 and 18, however. See Matt 27:35, 39, 43; Mark 15:24, 29; Luke 23:34; John 19:23-24.) If one were to insist on an emendation of כָּאֲרִי (ka’ariy, “like a lion”) to a verb, the most likely verbal root would be כָּרָה (karah, “dig”; see the LXX). In this context this verb could refer to the gnawing and tearing of wild dogs (cf. NCV, TEV, CEV). The ancient Greek version produced by Symmachus reads “bind” here, perhaps understanding a verbal root כרך, which is attested in later Hebrew and Aramaic and means “to encircle, entwine, embrace” (see HALOT 497-98 s.v. כרך and Jastrow 668 s.v. כָּרַךְ). Neither one of these proposed verbs can yield a meaning “bore, pierce.”
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thursday, October 10

The minding of the flesh means death, but the minding of the spirit means life and peace.—Rom. 8:6.

Cell phones are among the devices that can distract a motorist from the one thing he or she is supposed to be doing—driving. Over one third of the people interviewed in one survey said that they had been hit or nearly hit by a vehicle with a driver using a cell phone. Multitasking while driving may seem to be expedient, but the result can be disastrous. The same could be true of our spiritual well-being. Just as a distracted driver often fails to notice signs of danger, a person who is distracted spiritually can easily fall into harm’s way. If we allow ourselves to drift away from our Christian course and theocratic activities, the result could be the shipwreck of our faith. (1 Tim. 1:18, 19) The apostle Paul warned of this danger when he cautioned his fellow Christians in Rome by writing the words of today’s text. w11 11/15 2:1, 2

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/10

Friday, October 11

The spirit . . . will guide you into all the truth.—John 16:13.

Have you ever used a compass to find your way? A compass is a simple device with only one moving part—a magnetic needle pointing toward the north. Because of an invisible force known as magnetism, the needle of the compass aligns itself with the magnetic field surrounding the earth between its poles. There is another invisible force that is even more essential for our guidance. What is it? The one described in the opening verses of the Bible. Speaking of what Jehovah accomplished aeons ago, Genesis states: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” As he did so, he sent forth a powerful force, for the creation account adds: “God’s active force was moving to and fro.” (Gen. 1:1, 2) What was at work? Holy spirit—the dynamic force behind creation. We owe our existence to Jehovah’s use of this spirit to produce all his works.—Job 33:4; Ps. 104:30w11 12/15 2:1-3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/11

Saturday, October 12

Jesus went out with his disciples . . . to where there was a garden, and he and his disciples entered into it.—John 18:1.

Three of the apostles—Peter, James, and John—accompany Jesus to a spot deeper in the garden of Gethsemane. “Stay here and keep on the watch with me,” he tells them, and then he goes off to pray. When he comes back, he finds his friends fast asleep. Again he implores them: “Keep on the watch.” Yet, they fall asleep two more times! Later that same night, all the apostles fail to keep spiritually alert. Why, they even abandon Jesus and flee! (Matt. 26:38, 41, 56) Surely the apostles regretted their failure to keep on the watch. Those faithful men quickly learned from their mistake. The Bible book of Acts shows that they went on to set an outstanding example in keeping watchful. Their faithful course must have influenced their fellow Christians to do the same. Now more than ever, we need to keep on the watch.—Matt. 24:42w12 1/15 2:1-3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/12

Sunday, October 13

Let us not sleep on as the rest do, but let us stay awake and keep our senses.—1 Thess. 5:6.

Without question, Jesus set the best possible example of watchfulness. His example is practical, beneficial, and even lifesaving. Remember, Satan is eager to lull you into spiritual sleep—a state of weak faith, lackadaisical worship, and compromised integrity. Do not let him succeed! Remain watchful as Jesus did—watchful in your prayers, in your ministry, and in dealing with trials. By following that course, you will enjoy a rich, happy, fulfilling life even now in the twilight of this dying system of things. A watchful course will also ensure that when your Master comes to bring this system to its end, he will find you alert and active, doing his Father’s will. How delighted Jehovah will be to reward you for your faithful course!—Rev. 16:15w12 2/15 1:17

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/13

Monday, October 14

A joyful heart has a good effect on the countenance.—Prov. 15:13.

Ministers who are awake and alert listen carefully to those they meet. Are they concerned about the number of religions, the violence in the area, or the failure of governments? Can you awaken interest in spiritual matters by commenting on the marvelous design of living things or by pointing out how practical the Bible’s advice is? Prayer interests people of nearly all cultures, even some atheists. Many wonder if anyone hears prayers. Others may be intrigued by the questions: Does God hear all prayers? If not, what should we do to be heard by God? We can likely learn much about the art of initiating conversations by observing how experienced publishers do it. Notice how they avoid the appearance of interrogating or prying. How do their tone of voice and facial expression communicate their interest in understanding the householder’s views? w123/15 1:13, 14

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/14

Tuesday, October 15

Always rejoice in the Lord. Once more I will say, Rejoice!—Phil. 4:4.

A notable characteristic of the fruitage of the spirit is its stability. Joy, the second aspect, exemplifies this resilience. Joy is like a hardy plant that can thrive even in a hostile environment. Throughout the earth, many of God’s servants have “accepted the word under much tribulation with joy of holy spirit.” (1 Thess. 1:6) Others face hardships and deprivations. Yet, Jehovah empowers them by means of his spirit “to endure fully and be long-suffering with joy.” (Col. 1:11) What is the source of this joy? Unlike the “uncertain riches” of Satan’s world, the spiritual treasures we have received from Jehovah have lasting value. (1 Tim. 6:17; Matt. 6:19, 20) He holds before us the joyful prospect of an unending future. We have the joy of being part of a worldwide Christian brotherhood. Above all, our joy is founded on our relationship with God. w11 4/15 3:9-11

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/15

Wednesday, October 16 Jehovah . . . is cognizant of those seeking refuge in him.—Nah. 1:7.

Why is knowing Jehovah and becoming known by him such a great privilege? Because not only is he the greatest Personage in all the universe but he also serves as the Protector of those whom he loves. (Ps. 1:6) In fact, our very prospects for eternal life are dependent on our coming to know the true God and his Son, Jesus Christ. (John 17:3) Coming to know God means more than simply knowing his literal name. We must get to know him as a Friend, understanding his likes and dislikes. Our living in harmony with that knowledge also plays a vital part in our showing that we have come to know God intimately. (1 John 2:4) But something else is required if we truly wish to know Jehovah. We need to know not only what he has done but also how and why he has acted that way. The more we understand Jehovah’s purposes, the more we are compelled to marvel at ‘the depth of God’s wisdom.’—Rom. 11:33. w11 5/15 4:2, 3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Mistake

Thursday, October 17

We were working so as not to impose an expensive burden upon any one of you.—2 Thess. 3:8.

Peter encouraged elders to shepherd the flock, “neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly.” (1 Pet. 5:2) The work of the elders takes up a considerable amount of time, yet they do not expect any financial compensation. Peter saw the need to warn his fellow older men about the danger of shepherding the flock out of “love of dishonest gain.” That danger is evident in the life of luxury led by religious leaders of “Babylon the Great” while many people are forced to lead a life of poverty. (Rev. 18:2, 3) The elders today have good reason to be on guard against any tendency in that direction. Paul set a fine example for Christian elders. Though he was an apostle and could have been “an expensive burden” on Christians in Thessalonica, he did not “eat food from anyone free.” Rather, he ‘labored and toiled night and day.’ w11 6/15 3:14, 15

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/17

Friday, October 18

The wisdom from above is . . . ready to obey.—Jas. 3:17.

How well do you do in the matter of accepting Bible-based counsel? The Scriptures tell us that it is God’s will to gather to himself “the desirable things of all the nations.” (Hag. 2:7) Of course, most of us were far from desirable when we first learned the truth. However, love for God and for his dear Son impelled us to make significant changes in our attitude and habits so as to be fully pleasing to God. Finally, after much prayer and effort on our part, the blessed day arrived when we were able to present ourselves for Christian baptism. (Col. 1:9, 10) The battle against imperfection did not end with our baptism, however. The fight continued and will continue as long as we are imperfect. We are assured, though, that if we keep up the struggle and are determined to become ever more desirable in God’s eyes, Jehovah will bless our efforts. w11 7/15 4:1-3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/18

Saturday, October 19

They will have to beat their swords into plowshares.—Isa. 2:4.

The true God gives holy spirit to his loyal servants, and the fruitage of that spirit includes peace. (Gal. 5:22) Another reason for our peaceful unity is that we are “no part of the world.” (John 15:19) Rather than taking sides in political issues, we remain neutral. Having ‘beaten our swords into plowshares,’ we do not get involved in civil or international wars. The peace we can enjoy with one another goes deeper than merely refraining from doing harm to our brothers. Although the congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses that we belong to may be made up of individuals from many different ethnic groups and cultures, we “love one another.” (John 15:17) Our peace allows us to “work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.” (Gal. 6:10) Our peaceful spiritual paradise is something to be treasured and safeguarded. w11 8/15 4:2, 3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/19

Sunday, October 20

Run in such a way that you may attain it.—1 Cor. 9:24.

In his letter to the Hebrews, the apostle Paul used a powerful word picture to encourage his fellow Christians. He reminded them that they were not alone in running the race for life. Surrounding them were a ‘great cloud of witnesses,’ who had successfully completed the race. (Heb. 12:1) Having clearly in mind the faithful acts and strenuous efforts of these forerunners would give the Hebrew Christians incentive to press on and not to give out in their race. Ancient Greek runners completely stripped themselves of any extraneous weight or burden that could slow them down. While we would object to their lack of modesty and propriety, they ran that way with the sole objective of winning the prize. Paul’s point was that to gain the prize in the race for life, it is essential for runners to remove hindrances of any sort. This was sound counsel for Christians back then, and it is for us today. w11 9/15 4:1, 3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/20

Monday, October 21

According to the abundance of your mercies wipe out my transgressions. Thoroughly wash me from my error, and cleanse me even from my sin. For my transgressions I myself know, and my sin is in front of me constantly.—Ps. 51:1-3.

King David of ancient Israel is an example of an individual comforted by God. Inasmuch as Jehovah “sees what the heart is,” when he selected David to be a future king of Israel, he knew that David was sincere and devoted to true worship. (1 Sam. 16:7; 2 Sam. 5:10) Later, however, David committed adultery with Bath-sheba and tried to cover up the sin by having her husband killed. When David came to realize the enormity of his sin, he prayed to Jehovah, saying the words of today’s text. David was truly repentant, and Jehovah forgave him. However, David had to face the consequences of his wrongdoing. (2 Sam. 12:9-12) Nevertheless, Jehovah’s mercy was a source of comfort to his humble servant. w11 10/15 3:14

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/21

Tuesday, October 22

Let those . . . making use of the world [beas those not using it to the full.—1 Cor. 7:29, 31.

We are convinced that Jehovah’s Kingdom government under Christ will shortly put an end to imperfect human rulership, replacing it with a righteous new system of things. (Dan. 2:44; 2 Pet. 3:13) In view of the imminent end of the present system of things, as Jehovah’s servants we realize that this is no time to settle down in this dying world. Then how do present-day Christians make use of the world? They do this by using modern technology and means of communication to spread Bible knowledge worldwide in hundreds of languages. They make limited use of the world to earn a living. They purchase necessary goods and services made available in the world. However, they avoid using the world to the full in that they keep worldly possessions and occupations in the proper place.—1 Tim. 6:9, 10w11 11/15 3:9, 10

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/22

Wednesday, October 23

[Jehovahhas filled them with wisdom of heart to do all the work.—Ex. 35:35.

The experience of Moses’ contemporary Bezalel reveals much about the way God’s spirit can operate. (Ex. 35:30-34) Bezalel was appointed to take the lead in making the necessary furnishings for the tabernacle. Did he have knowledge of crafts prior to this vast project? Possibly, but in all likelihood his most recent job was that of making bricks for the Egyptians. (Ex. 1:13, 14) So how would Bezalel fulfill his complicated task? Jehovah “proceeded to fill him with the spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in every sort of craftsmanship and for designing devices . . . to make ingenious products of every sort.” Whatever natural aptitude Bezalel may have had was enhanced by holy spirit. The same is true of Oholiab. Bezalel and Oholiab must have learned well, for they not only performed their duties but also taught others what to do. Yes, God put it into their hearts to teach. w11 12/15 3:6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/10/23

Thursday, October 24

He would kindly receive all those who came in to him, preaching the kingdom of God to them.—Acts 28:30, 31.

Like Paul, many of God’s people today maintain their joy and keep preaching despite being unjustly imprisoned because of their faith. Some of our dear brothers and sisters are housebound, perhaps even living in nursing homes because of advanced age or illness. As they are able, they preach to doctors and staff, visitors, and others who come in to them. Their heart’s desire is to bear thorough witness about God’s Kingdom. How we appreciate the example they set! There is much to learn about watchfulness from the apostles and other first-century Christians mentioned in the Bible book of Acts. As we await the end of this old system of things, let us be determined to imitate those first-century Christians in giving a bold and zealous witness. There is now no greater privilege we can have than to share in “bearing thorough witness” about God’s Kingdom!—Acts 28:23w12 1/15 2:20-22

http://wol.jw.org

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, October 25

Mordecai . . . got knowledge of everything that had been done.—Esther 4:1.

Queen Esther was greatly distressed. Her cousin Mordecai sent her a copy of the law authorizing the massacre of the Jews and commanded her to appear before the king to implore favor for her fellow Jews. But anyone going in to the king when not summoned was put to death. (Esther 4:4-11) Yet, Mordecai told Esther: ‘If you are silent, deliverance will come from another place. But who knows whether it is for a time like this that you attained royal dignity?’ Esther urged Mordecai to gather the Jews in Shushan and fast in her behalf. “I shall fast likewise,” she said, “and upon that I shall come in to the king, . . . and in case I must perish, I must perish.” (Esther 4:12-17) Esther acted courageously, and the book bearing her name shows that God delivered his people. In our day, anointed Christians and their dedicated associates display similar courage under trial.—Ps. 65:2; 118:6w12 2/15 2:14, 15

http://wol.jw.org