JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Courage under trial. Courage in the face of fear. Quiet courage. Courage under attack. There are so many ways to prove our courage. I thank Jehovah each time I am able to show that courage in a righteous way. What ways do you show your courage? Sometimes it is as simple as/hard as getting out of bed and facing another day. Then I think about our brothers and sisters who have no bed to get out of. They are living couragenot just showing it in an act of courage.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saturday, October 26

They will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled.—2 Tim. 4:3.

What teachings tickle people’s ears today? In many places, the teaching of evolution has been promoted with religious fervor. Though evolution is usually presented in scientific language, it has become almost a secular religion, affecting how people view God and others. Another popular teaching is that God is not interested in us; thus, we do not need to be interested in him. Why are these teachings so attractive that they lull millions into spiritual sleep? They both carry the underlying message, ‘You can do anything you want because you will not be called to account.’ This truly is a message that has tickled the ears of many. (Ps. 10:4) Some who still go to church like to have teachers who tell them, ‘No matter what you do, God loves you.’ Priests and pastors tickle the ears of others by convincing them that ceremonies, Masses, and images have God’s blessing. w12 3/15 2:4-6

http://wol.jw.org

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, October 27

Jehovah will make known who belongs to him.—Num. 16:5.

Moses and Korah stand in sharp contrast when it comes to demonstrating respect for Jehovah’s arrangement and his decisions. Korah was a Kohathite Levite, and he enjoyed many privileges. (Ex. 32:26-29; Num. 3:30, 31) He had evidently been loyal to Jehovah for years and was looked up to by many in the camp of Israel. Nevertheless, Korah perceived what he imagined to be problems in God’s arrangement. Then 250 other leading men in the nation sided with Korah in trying to make changes. Korah and the others must have felt secure about their relationship with Jehovah. They told Moses: “That is enough of you, because the whole assembly are all of them holy and Jehovah is in their midst.” (Num. 16:1-3) What an overconfident and prideful attitude! By the end of the next day, Korah and all those who had sided with him in rebellion were dead.—Num. 16:31-35w11 9/15 5:11, 12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I loved this Drama a few years ago!  Murmuring is a dangerous game that I don't want to play.  An innocent comment can turn so easily into gossip and murmuring.  No matter what, we need to support God's arrangement on earth, it is a perfect arrangement being run by imperfect humans.  So many time our pride gets in the way of the ultimate purpose so we must "check" it at the door, so to speak, and leave the running of our Organization and Congregations to Jesus and Jehovah.  This is one of the best ways to display how strong our faith in Jehovah really is.

Peter was among Jesus’ closest companions. Yet, on the last night of Jesus’ life on earth, Peter caved in to fear and committed a grievous sin. In a courtyard near the place where Jesus was being illegally tried, Peter publicly denied knowing Jesus—not once but three times. Following Peter’s third vehement denial, Jesus “turned and looked upon Peter.” (Luke 22:55-61) Can you imagine how Peter felt as Jesus’ gaze fell upon him? Recognizing the gravity of his sin, Peter “broke down and gave way to weeping.” (Mark 14:72) The repentant apostle might have wondered whether his threefold denial had put him beyond the reach of God’s forgiveness.

LeslieDean

Monday, October 28

Be agitated, but do not sin. Have your say in your heart, upon your bed, and keep silent.—Ps. 4:4.

Courage and complete trust in Jehovah are required in order to remain loyal to him. For instance, these qualities are needed by a Christian family when an unrepentant relative is disfellowshipped. God honors those loyal to him and his ways. In turn, loyalty and complete trust in Jehovah promote joy among his people. (Ps. 84:11, 12) If we have been the object of unkind words or actions, let us not sin by retaliating. (Rom. 12:17-19) We can have our say in our heart while in bed. If we pray about the matter, we may see it in a different light and be moved to forgive out of love. (1 Pet. 4:8) Noteworthy in this regard is the apostle Paul’s counsel, apparently based on Psalm 4:4: “Be wrathful, and yet do not sin; let the sun not set with you in a provoked state, neither allow place for the Devil.”—Eph. 4:26, 27w11 5/15 5:17, 18

Tuesday, October 29

Holy spirit has appointed you overseers.—Acts 20:28.

Elders are appointed by holy spirit. But not all spirit-anointed ones serve as overseers in the congregation. What are we to conclude from this? Simply that God’s spirit operates in different ways on members of the congregation. The spirit that instills in anointed ones “a spirit of adoption,” or a sense of sonship, is the same spirit by which Jehovah raised his only-begotten Son from the dead to immortal life in heaven. (Rom. 8:11, 15) It is the same spirit by which Jehovah brought the entire universe into existence. (Gen. 1:1-3) By that same holy spirit, Jehovah qualified Bezalel for special work on the tabernacle, empowered Samson to perform deeds requiring outstanding strength, and enabled Peter to walk on water. Let us, therefore, not confuse having God’s spirit with being anointed with God’s spirit, the latter being just one special operation of the spirit. Spirit anointing depends on God’s choice. w11 12/15 4:13, 14

This text is in line with our new understanding of the meaning of Jehovah's name. "He Causes to Become" refers not only to the fact that he can become whatever he needs to in order to fulfill his purpose ie. Shepherd, Warrior, Instructor etc. he also can cause anyone or anything else to become what he needs to accomplish his will. Very interesting!

Personally I found today's text very encouraging. It confirmed a few things in my mind and heart. Isn't it wonderful that Jehovah can turn a lump of old clay into something so useful. I feel so blessed to be able to have the hope I have. The most fulfilling work is yet for the future. As the January 2014 Watchtower indicates the end will come sooner rather than later. And after that we really get down to business.  :)

Edited by Purple Triangle

I also appreciated today's text i was conducting it with my family this morning.

But then can anyone please kindly explain this quote? it reads "Let us, therefore, not confuse having God's spirit with being annointed with God's spirit, the latter being just one special operation of the spirit."

I tried to explain that but it seems i could'nt so i said let me use this forum to help me with it.

Thank you for anyone's assistance.

Peter

I also appreciated today's text i was conducting it with my family this morning.

But then can anyone please kindly explain this quote? it reads "Let us, therefore, not confuse having God's spirit with being annointed with God's spirit, the latter being just one special operation of the spirit."

I tried to explain that but it seems i could'nt so i said let me use this forum to help me with it.

Peter

Sure, Jehovah uses His spirit to anointed ones to be future kings and priests. That is just one operation of God's spirit. BUT not everyone that has God's spirit operating on them - is anointed. Look at the Other Sheep and the work they are accomplishing with the help of God's spirit.

So, we can conclude - just because God's spirit is at work with a person - doesn't mean they also are "anointed" and will serve in heaven.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Peter

We pray for God's spirit to give us the strength to endure our daily tribulations.__Jn 14:16,17   Being anointed with God's spirit is the same as being born again or born from spirit.__Jn 3:5-7   "The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God's children."__Rom.8:16

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Wednesday, October 30

He that is showing insight in a matter will find good.—Prov. 16:20.

We need to make an earnest effort to cultivate a peaceful relationship with unbelieving family members. This may present a challenge because what they want us to do may at times conflict with Bible principles. Our holding firmly to right principles may upset some unbelieving family members, but such a stand promotes peace in the long run. Of course, being unyielding when something does not violate Scriptural principles may cause unnecessary friction. (Prov. 16:7) When facing a challenge, it is important to seek Scriptural counsel. (Prov. 11:14) Cultivating peace in a household calls for trust in Jehovah and insight into the feelings of unbelieving family members. It is good to remember that unbelieving spouses may feel abandoned or threatened when their mate leaves to participate in Christian activities, but loving reassurances can go a long way in allaying such feelings. w12 2/15 4:5-7

Thursday, October 31

The Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith.—Gal. 3:24.

By means of the ransom, Jehovah will permanently remove the effects of sin, and even now he allows us to have a good conscience before him. Jesus’ ransom sacrifice is a wonderful provision! (Gal. 3:13; Heb. 9:9, 14) Of course, more than a simple understanding of the ransom sacrifice is needed in order for us to benefit from it. Faith is also needed. And such faith cannot be devoid of works. (Jas. 2:26) Paul thus encouraged first-century Christians who possessed the framework of knowledge conveyed by the Mosaic Law to put that knowledge into practice. By so doing, their conduct would harmonize with the divine principles they taught. (Rom. 2:21-23) Although Christians today are not required to observe the Mosaic Law, they must still present sacrifices that are acceptable to Jehovah. w12 1/15 3:17-19

Friday, November 1

Walk decently, not in revelries and drunken bouts, not in illicit intercourse and loose conduct, not in strife and jealousy.—Rom. 13:13.

Avoiding such conduct can be challenging. Vigilance is vital. A car driver who underestimates the danger of falling asleep behind the wheel may be risking his life. Likewise, spiritual slumber can be deadly! For example, a Christian might imagine that all in his territory have irrevocably rejected the good news. (Prov. 6:10, 11) He might reason, ‘If no one is going to respond, why be energetic in trying to reach or help people?’ Granted, many might now be sleeping spiritually, but their circumstances and attitudes could change. Some do wake up and respond. And we can help them if we ourselves keep awake, such as by trying new ways to present the Kingdom message in an appealing manner. Part of our staying awake involves reminding ourselves why our ministry is vital. w12 3/15 1:6, 7

Have you ever had your eyes wide open and your head nods so hard you snap to attention? You KNOW your eyes were awake/open but yet we lulled our self into a mental shutdown. We can actually be going through the motions but not aware of the changes around us. So important for us and the ones around us that we stay focused and aware of all the changes. Changes are coming in rapid fire order aimed at us right now!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

I remember an experience in one of the magazines of a brother in a situation where anyone he would try to witness to would not listen or respond. This went on for quite a while and finally someone asked him why he keeps witnessing when no one wants to hear it. His reply was: If I don't keep trying to change others they might change me. So even if no one seems to be responding our continuing to try and give to a witness is a protection for us.

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

Saturday, November 2

Serve Jehovah with rejoicing. Come in before him with a joyful cry.—Ps. 100:2.

Why is it important for Christians to carry out their service to Jehovah with joy? Because of the issue Satan raised in connection with Jehovah’s sovereignty. Satan claims that no one serves God out of a willing heart. (Job 1:9-11) If we were to serve Jehovah dutifully but joylessly, our sacrifice of praise would be incomplete. Service rendered from a joyful, willing heart glorifies God. Realistically, though, even devoted servants of Jehovah will have times when they become downhearted and struggle to maintain a positive outlook. (Phil. 2:25-30) When beset by negative feelings, we can beseech Jehovah in prayer and endeavor to meditate on praiseworthy things. (Phil. 4:6-9) Some find that softly humming along with recordings of our Kingdom songs lifts their spirits and helps to rechannel their thoughts. w11 4/15 3:11-13

http://wol.jw.org/

Sunday, November 3

In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you yourself alone, O Jehovah, make me dwell in security.—Ps. 4:8.

When the Israelites kept Jehovah’s Law, they were at peace with him and felt secure. For instance, ‘Judah and Israel dwelt in security’ during Solomon’s reign. (1 Ki. 4:25) Those trusting in God enjoyed peace even when neighboring nations were hostile. Like David, we sleep peacefully because God makes us feel secure. We can also be certain of experiencing heartfelt joy if we have a full share in today’s spiritual harvest work. (Luke 10:2) Are you having a truly satisfying part in this joyful harvest? Then let us confidently press on in Jehovah’s service. May we also pray in faith and thus experience “the peace of God that excels all thought.” (Phil. 4:6, 7) What joy that brings us! And we can surely face the future with confidence if we maintain complete trust in Jehovah. w11 5/15 5:21-23

Monday, November 4

Death spread to all men because they had all sinned.—Rom. 5:12.

Lovingly, Jehovah made a provision for humans to overcome inherited sinfulness. Paul explained that this was possible by means of another man, a later perfect man—in effect, a second Adam. (1 Cor. 15:45) But the course of each of the two perfect men has led to very different results. How so? “It is not with the gift as it was with the trespass,” Paul wrote. Adam was guilty of that trespass, and he justly received an adverse sentence—he died. Yet, he was not the only one to die. We read: “By [that] one man’s trespass many died.” (Rom. 5:15, 16) The just sentence on Adam demanded the same for all his imperfect progeny, including us. Still, we can take comfort in knowing that the perfect man, Jesus, could produce an opposite result. What is the result? We see the answer in Paul’s mention of “a declaring of [men of all kinds] righteous for life.”Rom. 5:18w11 6/15 2:5, 7, 8

Tuesday, November 5

[Do notpay attention to false stories . . . which furnish questions for research.—1 Tim. 1:4.

Paul’s warning about “false stories” is part of his first letter to Timothy, a Christian overseer who was charged with preserving the purity of the congregation and helping fellow believers to remain faithful. (1 Tim. 1:18, 19) Here Paul uses a Greek word that can refer to fiction, myth, or falsehood. According to The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, this word refers to “a (religious) story that has no connection with reality.” Perhaps Paul had in mind religious lies promoted by sensational tales or fanciful legends. Such stories only “furnish questions for research”—that is, raise frivolous questions that lead to pointless research. False stories are a ploy of the archdeceiver, Satan, who uses religious lies and godless myths to sidetrack unsuspecting ones. Paul’s counsel is clear: Do not pay attention to false stories! w11 7/15 2:9, 10

I know its a little late, but I really appreciated this daily text. It was exactly what I needed. Its a struggle because sometimes our family, and even our brothers & sisters can get on our last nerve. but we want to do the best that we can to remain peaceful with one another. I cannot count how many times my mouth has gotten me into trouble, but it is something that I continue to work on with Jehovah's help by means of his holy spirit.

Wednesday, November 6

If anyone does not stumble in word, this one is a perfect man.—Jas. 3:2.

Differences and misunderstandings between fellow believers are bound to arise. (Phil. 4:2, 3) However, problems between individuals can be solved without disturbing the peace of the congregation. For example, if we realize that we may have offended someone, consider the counsel we should apply as recorded at Matthew 5:23, 24. What if we have been wronged in some small way? Should we expect the offender to come to us and apologize? “[Love] does not keep account of the injury,” states 1 Corinthians 13:5. When offended, we pursue peace by forgiving and forgetting, that is, by ‘not keeping account of the injury.’ (Col. 3:13) Minor transgressions in day-to-day life are best handled in this way, for this contributes to a peaceful relationship with fellow worshippers. A wise proverb states: “It is beauty . . . to pass over transgression.”—Prov. 19:11w11 8/15 4:4,