JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Saturday, December 21

The Law has a shadow of the good things to come.—Heb. 10:1.

It could hardly have been lost on the ancient Jews that many aspects of the Mosaic Law emphasized their sinfulness. For example, anyone who touched a human corpse was required to undergo purification. To this end, a sound red cow was slaughtered and burned. Its ashes were kept to make “water for cleansing,” which was sprinkled on the person being purified on the third and the seventh day after contamination. (Num. 19:1-13) And as a reminder that human reproduction transmitted imperfection and sin, a woman who gave birth was required to observe a period of uncleanness, after which she was to make atonement by means of a sacrifice. (Lev. 12:1-8) Animal sacrifices were required in many other situations of everyday life to atone for sins. Whether the worshipper realized it or not, these sacrifices—and those later offered at Jehovah’s temple—were “a shadow” of Jesus’ perfect sacrifice.—Heb. 10:1-10w12 1/15 3:4, 5

http://wol.jw.org

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunday, December 22

Keep on the watch with me.—Matt. 26:38.

Jesus wants us to remain watchful because of what we do not know and what we do know. When Jesus was a man on earth, did he know all that the future held? No, for he humbly acknowledged: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matt. 24:36) At that time, Jesus, “the Son,” did not know exactly when the end of this wicked world would come. What about us today? Is our knowledge of the future limited? Of course it is! We do not know just when Jehovah will send forth his Son to put an end to this wicked system of things. If we did, would we really need to keep on the watch? As Jesus explained, the end will come suddenly, unexpectedly; so we need to keep ever watchful. (Matt. 24:43) And, thanks to Jesus, we do know a great deal about God’s Kingdom and what it will accomplish in the near future. w12 2/15 1:3-5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, December 23

If these things exist in you and overflow, they will prevent you from being either inactive or unfruitful.—2 Pet. 1:8.

The limited number of Christians chosen by Jehovah to be associated with Christ in the heavenly Kingdom government undergo “a new birth” as spirit-begotten sons of God. They are anointed with holy spirit to become kings and priests with Christ. (Rev. 20:6) Peter states that this “new birth” opens up to them “a living hope,” which he calls “an incorruptible and undefiled and unfading inheritance” reserved for them “in the heavens.” Small wonder that the anointed ‘greatly rejoice’ in their living hope! (1 Pet. 1:3-6) The realization of that hope, however, depends on their faithfulness. Peter exhorted anointed Christians to ‘do their utmost to make their calling and choosing of themselves sure.’ (2 Pet. 1:10) They must exert themselves to develop such qualities as faith, godly devotion, brotherly affection, and love. w12 3/15 3:4, 5

These things -

2 Pet.1:5 For this very reason, put forth all earnest effort+ to supply to your faith virtue,+ to your virtue knowledge,+ 6 to your knowledge self-control, to your self-control+ endurance, to your endurance godly devotion,+ 7 to your godly devotion brotherly affection, to your brotherly affection love.+

So important for me to contemplate daily.

Tuesday, December 24

Keep on asking, and it will be given you.—Luke 11:9.

Your continued preaching of the good news of the Kingdom may draw ridicule. But remember that “if you are being reproached for the name of Christ, you are happy, because the spirit of glory, even the spirit of God, is resting upon you.” (1 Pet. 4:14) Holy spirit is God’s free gift to those who sincerely seek it. It can enhance not only your abilities but also your desire to do your best in his service. “God is the one that, for the sake of his good pleasure, is acting within you in order for you both to will and to act.” The precious gift of holy spirit, coupled with our earnest efforts to keep “a tight grip on the word of life,” will allow us to “keep working out [our] own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Phil. 2:12, 13, 16) With complete confidence in God’s spirit, then, pour your heart into every assignment, become skilled at what you are given to do, and look to Jehovah for assistance.—Jas. 1:5w11 12/15 4:17-19

http://wol.jw.org/en

Wednesday, December 25

Whatever you are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah, and not to men.—Col. 3:23.

If you have dedicated your life to Jehovah or hope to do so in the near future, then the spirit with which you approach mundane activities is important. We are Christians 24 hours a day. Scriptural principles need to be applied in every aspect of our lives. A Christian’s day-to-day activities are not part of his sacred service. Yet, the fact that Paul urges us to work “whole-souled as to Jehovah” makes us think about our entire course of life. So how might we apply this to ourselves? Do we act and dress with proper decorum at all times? Or while engaging in day-to-day activities, might we be embarrassed to identify ourselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses, either because of the way we behave or because of the way we dress? Never may that be! Jehovah’s people would not want to do anything that might reflect badly on God’s name.—Isa. 43:10; 2 Cor. 6:3, 4, 9w121/15 4:4, 5

Thursday, December 26

By faith Moses . . . refused to be called the son of the daughter of Pharaoh.—Heb. 11:24.

Moses had exemplary faith and courage. He and his brother, Aaron, repeatedly appeared before tyrannical Pharaoh of Egypt and courageously announced the Ten Plagues by which Jehovah disgraced Egyptian gods and delivered His people. (Ex., chaps. 7-12) Moses displayed faith and courage because he had God’s unfailing support, even as we do. (Deut. 33:27) We need courage like that of Moses, for Jesus said: “You will be haled before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations. However, when they deliver you up, do not become anxious about how or what you are to speak; for what you are to speak will be given you in that hour; for the ones speaking are not just you, but it is the spirit of your Father that speaks by you.” (Matt. 10:18-20) If we are interrogated by secular authorities, Jehovah’s spirit will enable us to bear witness respectfully with faith and courage.—Luke 12:11, 12w12 2/15 2:5, 6

Friday, December 27

Demas has forsaken me.—2 Tim. 4:10.

Satan’s system is designed to get us absorbed in personal pursuits and side issues. (1 Pet. 5:8; 1 John 2:15-17) Some who at one time gave priority to Jehovah’s service lost their sense of urgency. For instance, the first-century Christian named Demas had been a ‘fellow worker’ with Paul, but Demas became distracted by the ungodly system of things. Instead of continuing to give priority to strengthening his brother in a time of trouble, Demas abandoned Paul. (Philem. 23, 24) If we are to maintain our sense of urgency, we need to fight the urge to enjoy more of what life offers. We ought to work at getting “a firm hold on the real life.” (1 Tim. 6:18, 19) You likely have no doubt that everlasting life on earth under God’s Kingdom will provide endless opportunities to enjoy interesting activities. But for now, the opportunity to help others to survive Armageddon is unique to our time. w12 3/15 2:11, 12

Does anyone else read this and hear "don't have fun, lives are at stake, that is what you should concentrate on, and you should feel guilt or shame for not doing what you once did because joy should be put off until the new system"?

Good grief, just typing that out makes me sound crazy, lol.  I know that other articles say that it is okay and necessary to enjoy other things in life like recreation, but when I read this is just seems like shaming people and condemning enjoyment in this system of things.

I ask simply to see if others have had their heads damaged like me.  I hate that I can't read things like this in a balanced way, and that they come off so distorted by the way I was raised.  No matter how much I try to tell myself that my first sentence there isn't what they're saying, there's this nagging voice in my head that condemns me and tells me that my first sentence is exactly what they're saying.  Just asking to see if I'm alone in those feelings.  I really wish I could get rid of them.  They push me away.

Mike

As usual it is about context and perspective.... And where our mindset is anchored....

18 The events foretold for the last days can make individuals aware of their spiritual need. Others become conscious of man’s need for help as they contemplate the failure of human governments to cope with economic disasters, nuclear threats, violent crime, or environmental destruction. Still others are made aware of their spiritual need by events in their own family, such as a health crisis, a divorce, or the death of a loved one. As we share in the ministry, we make ourselves available to help such people.

We have a spiritual need that is easily dulled and hidden by the temporal supposed priorities of life... Everything has a cost.. We all stand before Jehovah .. As individuals

I don't know your background or what you have experienced in life... I have read numerous of your posts .. It seems to me your struggling with your spirituality, joy and who you are as child of Jehovah. ... The tone is always that some how someone is taking advantage of you .. That the organization has a secret agenda to somehow make you a automaton...

When ever I loose my joy ... It is time for some spiritual infusion.. Personal study.. Prayer... And rest...

The other thing is I check my attitude and gratitude.. You cannot be a spiritual person unless you have gratitude..and a forgiving attitude..

Have you thanked Jehovah lately for all the things he has given you physically and spiritually .. Jesus paid a huge debt for you and I ... Have you shared that amazing concept with anyone lately.. It is very easy to spot and complain about all the human frailties of brothers and sisters .. That does not take a spiritual giant ....

Jesus seen them in original Christian congregation.. But he loved it and leads it though we are very imperfect..

So the bottom line is what am I bringing to the table that is worthy of a commendation from the head of the Christian congregation Jesus Christ ... With the comment from him "good and faithful sheep" I love you...

Mike it is time for some spiritual rebuilding... Otherwise as the text talks about we can end up being a Demas ... It is all about attitude and gratitude then and now... Satan can only have a foothold if we are deficient in either or both ... Demas was probably a nice guy in some regards but that dosn't make for a sheep...

There are issues crouching at all of doors.... But the age old question from Jehovah is.. Can I get a mastery over it .. Or will I follow the coarse of least resistance..

All the best

Lance

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Awesome.  That's what I was looking for Lance, and why I posted what I did.  

I'm not sure that I ever felt that someone deliberately took advantage of me, but that it happens as part of human nature, and some people seem to be magnets for such.  I don't think that the organization is trying to make me an automaton, but that when people get in small groups (whether sports fans, business associates, religions, etc.) they tend to take things a bit too far and go to one extreme or another, and not out of bad motives, it again is just human nature.  So I guess what I'm saying is that you're right, I just don't want to impute motive to it, but rather just one of those things that happens.  As you'll see, I play into it as well.

My own human nature is geared toward all or nothing thinking.  My mom is a perfectionist, and there are theories that it is genetic, as well as definitely being based in nurture.  My dad is the product of addicts, which often leads to all or nothing thinking as addicts do something as a 10 on the dial or a zero, nothing in between.  I'm a recovering perfectionist and a definite addict, though I stay away from things that are bad for me (sugar is still a struggle, but at least it isn't booze or drugs or something), I tend to take things that stimulate me to a high level.  That's a lot on me, and I don't blame anyone for that.  It just is, and I certainly never wanted it, but it plays into making me see things so staunchly and rigidly, so I've had to fight a lot against it, the hard part is then not taking it from a level 10 down too far to zero.

Dad was an elder and didn't represent in private those wonderful talks he gave on family life.  Used to roll his eyes and criticize my mom's heartfelt comments during our WT study.  My mom felt a need to always do more in service, and we often came home from school and went right out in service night after night so she could get her hours.  I was bullied relentlessly in the world as a child, and my friends in the organization were happy to be with me since I worked hard and had a car and little bit of money but as soon as they could, they all sought out friends that were "cooler" and ditched me.  People from other ends of town.  Or, they just left the organization altogether.  So, I basically lost all of my roots.  Lost one of my brothers as well to disfellowshipping.

I've seen a lot of things that I wouldn't post here.  No reason to rain on the parade of others.  I've been away from the congregation for a year or two at one point.  One sister in the congregation who my wife and I love dearly was the only person to see if we were still alive or not.  She cared.  Nobody else ever sought to see what might be up, though there were rumors later that we switched congregations.  

So you're right.  I'm not looking to rain on anyone's parade though.  I'd like to find my own parade though, for once.  To find that joy and happiness that I see others have in the organization.  It has most often just been hardship and loss for me, not positive where I could find joy.  I don't feel that I need RE-building as much as I think that I need building.  I have plenty of head knowledge, but my heart was never really reached (though admittedly, from the emotionally abusive upbringing I had that is hard to do, lots of walls there).  I've hung on desperately at times because I know this is the "truth" (in quotes because nothing in an imperfect world is the absolute truth, a hard lesson for me because growing up I thought everything said from the platform, comments, etc. was an absolute truth).  One of the biggest reasons that I came here is that I was looking for some sense of community and potential answers that I can't find locally.  I also want to help where I can, as I feel I have a gift of seeing things differently, and that it can actually help people that are struggling.  The only problem is that I've been able to help others in life, but myself I've not been able to help quite yet.  I'm much better in the way that I see things, but I still have my moments that aren't pretty.  

A text like today's is like a needle that pricks that old side of me that was so rigid and demanding, perfectionistic.  Everyone can always technically do more in service to Jehovah.  The problem is that I often did it to a 10 and neglected my person.  I was never taught balance.  So I pushed and pushed to do more.  Talks from the platform asked us if we could do more.  So I did.  It probably played into my own personal issues.  But then I felt miserable, because all I did was go out in service and give talks and do everything for everyone while neglecting myself.  I've actually had elders apologize for putting so much on me when I was young.  I accepted it, but like they said they were adults and should have known better than to put all of that on a kid, no matter how willing I was to accept it.  I was a kid and didn't know better.  But those scars still haunt me.  I've always been about doing more, more, more, to the point where I burn out and then do nothing, nothing, nothing.

Thanks for indulging me in this conversation.  Not looking to put anyone or anything down here, just looking for that very thing that is my name on here, perspective.  It is hard to obtain in a vacuum.  Small talk at meetings isn't getting me what I need, and I'm reaching out in different avenues.  I've really enjoyed seeing the differences here on this forum, from ones who are very rigid like I used to be and still fight being, to those that think in a more compassionate way.  I'm trying to learn the latter and share it.  I just have a hard time some days, and I hate it because I can go to a meeting in a good mood and then hear something that pricks that old injury and boom, it has ruined my good mood and put me in a bad frame of mind.  I realize that the building (or rebuilding) is a process.  I just wish I could get it over with sometimes and get tired of the fight.  I appreciate you busting me on what you see in my posts.  I never shy away from that and appreciate honest feedback.

Good comment Lance, I was thinking that same thing too that Mike has lost his joy in service because when we help others find the truth it is very joyful. Not that we can't find joy, when we do hobbies but nothing is more satisfying than spiritual joy. That is why those that have pioneered in the past miss it greatly because the joy you get at serving Jehovah fulltime is unsurpassing. 

Good comment Lance, I was thinking that same thing too that Mike has lost his joy in service because when we help others find the truth it is very joyful. Not that we can't find joy, when we do hobbies but nothing is more satisfying than spiritual joy. That is why those that have pioneered in the past miss it greatly because the joy you get at serving Jehovah fulltime is unsurpassing.

But not all that pioneered have that experience. I did and had the opposite experience. I worked three jobs because we were poor. I went out by myself often because brothers and sisters didn't work together much in our congregation. All the while being a ministerial servant and giving parts and handling many responsibilities at the Hall. And I did it all without much of a real relationship with Jehovah because performance was taught to me more than love. Man cannot live on bread alone, but at the same time man cannot live on serving alone. Jehovah created us with other needs that we have to take care of. You can't give healthful teachings to others when you aren't a healthy person. I know others that have had to learn that lesson. My sister in law is much happier with her service to Jehovah now that she no longer pioneers because she can be a healthier person in her life in all respects. She feels like she can preach from a place of more fullness with more to give. Quantity is great, but not at the expense of quality. I had the quantity, but it was build on a poor foundation. My guess is that others have been down that road, and I'd love to learn how they built a better house. You can't just throw a new foundation in after the fact, you have to tear the current house down. The process isn't fun.

You need to jump in the water to get your feet wet in order to swim. Swimming is fun, and so is service, if you go out enough to get wet. Carry your umbrella and your sword, enjoy. Attitude adjustment is sometimes necessary.

Pioneering isn't about the number of hours in service, or the number of magazines placed, or number of studies baptized, it's about placing your absolute trust in Jehovah, allowing him to take care of all your needs. If you find pioneering stressful, it may be because Jehovah isn't allowing you to find it joyful until you learn to truly trust in him.

Go to some of the pioneers in your congregation and circuit and ask them about how they've had to rely on Jehovah. I know those "my boss told me to work during the convention so I quit my job" experiences from the convention platform sound cherry-picked, but every single pioneer will have at least one experience of their own along those same lines, and the only ones who suffered for it are those initially chose to put work or bills first rather than trusting in Jehovah. I.E, "my boss asked me to work during the convention weekend, but there's two more convention weekends I can attend instead" (the brother was told to work the following weekend as well, and the next, then his service days, and today he only attends one meeting every 2-3 months).

You may also want to ask an elder about the lack of field service groups, because going in a group will help you learn from others and see how they're able to balance their own lives. But for yourself just work on trusting in Jehovah for everything, even if it means reducing your work hours, downgrading your house, and trading in your car payment for a decent used car. Jehovah doesn't put limits on the number of hours we should work or the number of belongings we may have, but he does expect our service to come out of our need rather than our want, so that he can prove himself to us by making up for that deficit.

Sometimes we do things to make others happy, when we should be thinking how do I make Jehovah happy.

Make Him happy and you will be happy. Make others happy and you might be.

Why not take this text as Jehovah's request for you to become active again, but do it to please Him. Then see how it goes.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Saturday, December 28

You will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. And you yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.—Ex. 19:5, 6.

As part of his covenant with Abraham, Jehovah had promised: “By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.” (Gen. 22:18) The Law covenant was a further development of this promise. On the basis of it, Israel could become Jehovah’s “special property out of all other peoples.” For what purpose? To ‘become to Jehovah a kingdom of priests.’ The Israelites were familiar with kings and priests, but Melchizedek was the only man of the past who had held both offices at the same time with Jehovah’s approval. (Gen. 14:18) Jehovah now offered to the nation the opportunity of producing “a kingdom of priests.” As inspired writings later indicated, this meant the opportunity to furnish a royal priesthood, kings who would also be priests.—1 Pet. 2:9.w12 1/15 5:5-7

Mike

Thanks very much for the response....

Universal truth is not about things .. It is about universal sovereignty ...

When I start to get anal about things .... what grounds me is a number of things ...

A) I sit down and do an in depth study and research into universal sovereignty

b:)I do some in depth research into the sermon on the mount.. Look up what it means to be salt like

C) I get out into nature ...which has Jehovah's fingerprints all over it... And talk to Jehovah ..

D) I have a circle of friends that I can bounce things off of.. Ones who were not afraid to call my delusions idiocy ..:)

E) We all need a number of spiritual mentors in our life.. We all need a Paul, a Peter, a Barnabas , a Deborah, a Dorcas , a Abraham , a friend ...

The truth is not just about an organization of people .. It is about your personal relationship with Jehovah and how you react and share things not just with yourself but with others... It is dynamic .. Where two or more are gathered in Jehovah's name great things happen...

Jehovah wants a personal relationship with us .. But also wants us to play nice with our brothers and sisters because they refine us and we refine them....... The heavens are made up of millions of very strong and smart individuals ... All of them have to play nice as well...

You mention being a perfectionist a number of times ..

Believe me It is going to kill you and kill what ever relationship you have with other people.. I guarantee you it will make you lonely and nuts..

News flash you can still enjoy life and be a sinner... It is balancing act .. But it can be done.... All our biblical mentors had a great degree of success at it ....

All the best

Lance

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Sunday, December 29

My instruction will drip . . . as gentle rains upon grass.—Deut. 32:2.

The apostle Paul advises Christians not to leave a marriage partner just because that individual is an unbeliever. (1 Cor. 7:12-16) Keeping in mind the possibility that an unbelieving marriage mate may become a Christian can help a believer to maintain his or her happiness although living in a divided household. In trying to reach the unbeliever with the message of the truth, though, a certain caution is in order. A Bible student may expect unbelieving family members to accept the Kingdom message immediately, but the good news could be met with an adverse response. If you are presently conducting a Bible study with a student whose mate has no desire to take part in true worship, why not hold regular practice sessions to help the student to approach issues tactfully? A few well-placed droplets of truth will often do more good than a spiritual downpour would. w122/15 4:8, 9

I don't know why I just can't learn/accept this.  I really do believe the Bible, but for some reason I just can not do this.  I have prayed and try to make my actions harmonize with my prayers,  it will work for a while then BAM!!!  I can't help but try to pour how what he deseparately needs to hear.  But I guess it is not really hearing he needs to do--it is the application.  So sad.  I try and remember what my Bible teacher told me--"a beginner is just like a plant.  The soil is so hard and dry, but if you pour water on it the dry dirt it actually repels the water and the plant will float to the top of the planter (the whole potted plant ).  But if you just drop a few drops of water on it--it will absorb the water.  Then you come back with a little more.  And a little more.  Then the plant can flourish.  I see it (because that is the way I have done in real life with my plants)  --that is why I knew immediately what she was talking about.  I guess the same applies to me---this is one of those things I have to be constantly reminded of instead of just an article once a year.

Instruction will drip...that sounds so pleasant, doesn't it?  Now that it will come on you like a flash flood.  

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Monday, December 30

These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength.—2 Thess. 1:9.

We understand from God’s Word that those who are judged as “goats” will go “into everlasting cutting-off.” Our preaching expresses God’s mercy, opening the way for people to change and to get “everlasting life.” (Matt. 25:32, 41, 46; Rom. 10:13-15) If we did not preach, how would people have the opportunity to hear the message that can mean life? Preaching the good news also benefits us. (1 Tim. 4:16) Have you not found that speaking about Jehovah and the Kingdom hope strengthens your faith and your love for God? Has it not helped you to develop Christian qualities? Does not expressing your devotion to God by sharing in the ministry contribute to your happiness? Many who have been privileged to teach the truth to others have had the joy of seeing God’s spirit help such ones to improve their way of life. w12 3/15 1:8, 9

Tuesday, December 31

There exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.—Prov. 18:24.

True friends keep personal matters confidential. When our brothers reveal their innermost thoughts and feelings to us and are sure that these will not become public knowledge, the bond of love that may already exist will grow stronger. May we promote a loving, familylike spirit in the congregation by being a trustworthy friend who can keep things confidential. (Prov. 20:19) How wrong and hurtful it is to spread confidential information about someone! Even so, when serious sin has been committed, those Scripturally obligated to handle the matter—the elders in the congregation—should be informed. (Lev. 5:1) So if we know that a brother or a sister has fallen into such wrongdoing, we should encourage that one to approach the elders and seek their help. (Jas. 5:13-15) If he or she does not do so within a reasonable period of time, though, we should report the wrongdoing. w12 2/15 3:7, 15

http://wol.jw.org/