JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Saturday, August 3

This I am saying . . . to move you to that which is becoming and that which means constant attendance upon the Lord without distraction.—1 Cor. 7:35.

Few aspects of life cause more elation, frustration, or worry than our dealings with the opposite sex. The need to deal effectively with such emotions is reason enough for us to seek divine guidance, but there are other motives for doing so. A Christian who is content with being single may feel that his family or friends are pressuring him to get married. Another may want to get married but has not yet found a suitable mate. Some need direction on how to prepare for the responsibilities of being a husband or a wife. And both single and married Christians face tests regarding sexual morality. Apart from our personal happiness, these issues affect our standing before Jehovah God. w11 10/15 2:1, 2

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/3

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunday, August 4

Carry on prayer, that you do not enter into temptation.—Luke 22:40.

Having “sin’s law” within our members, we need to put up a strong fight against sinful inclinations. (Rom. 7:21-25) This is a fight that can be won. How? Jesus told his followers that prayer is vital in resisting temptation. Even if wrong desires or thoughts persist after we have prayed to God, we need to “keep on asking God” for wisdom to cope with this trial. We are assured that “he gives generously to all and without reproaching.” (Jas. 1:5) James also writes: “Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well.” (Jas. 5:14, 15) Prayer is essential in resisting temptation, but we must be cognizant of the need to pray at the right time—before starting down a dangerous path.—Prov. 7:6-23w11 11/15 1:15-17

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/4

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, August 5

Because sentence against a bad work has not been executed speedily, that is why the heart of the sons of men has become fully set in them to do bad.—Eccl. 8:11.

If only Solomon had kept heeding that divine truth! Yes, he had done much good and had long enjoyed divine blessings. But over time, he took one false step after another. A bad pattern developed. How true what the apostle Paul was later inspired to write: “Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap”! (Gal. 6:7) In time, Solomon reaped sad fruitage from ignoring God’s direction. We read: “King Solomon himself loved many foreign wives along with the daughter of Pharaoh, Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian and Hittite women.” (1 Ki. 11:1) Many of those likely remained attached to false gods, and Solomon was not immune. He went astray and lost the favor of our patient God.—1 Ki. 11:4-8w11 12/15 1:17, 18

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/5

Tuesday, August 6

I am more outstandingly [a minister of Christ]: in labors more plentifully, in prisons more plentifully, in blows to an excess, in near-deaths often.—2 Cor. 11:23.

Preaching with zeal and urgency is vital to keeping on the watch. The apostle Paul was an outstanding example in this regard. He exerted himself zealously, traveling extensively and establishing many congregations. He endured many hardships, yet he never lost his zeal or his sense of urgency. (2 Cor. 11:24-29) Consider our last glimpse of Paul in the book of Acts, as recorded in Acts chapter 28. Paul arrived in Rome, where he was to appear before Nero. He was kept in custody, perhaps chained to his guard. Yet, no chain could silence the zealous apostle! Paul continued to find ways to bear witness. After three days, Paul summoned the principal men of the Jews in order to give them a witness. Then, on a chosen day, he gave an even greater witness.—Acts 28:17, 23, 24.w12 1/15 2:17, 18

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/6

I rather pity those religions that think they are on that narrow path.

Definitely !

"O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!"

- Romans 11:33 -

Wednesday, August 7

There exists a way that is upright before a man, but the ways of death are the end of it afterward.—Prov. 14:12.

If we rely on our own thinking, especially when we face serious problems, we are likely to endanger ourselves and those we love. For example, a family head may face severe pressure in providing materially for “those who are his own.” (1 Tim. 5:8) He might be tempted to take a job that repeatedly causes him to miss out on attending Christian meetings, taking the lead in family worship, or participating in the ministry. If he relies solely on human thinking, such a course could seem justifiable, even upright. However, it may well result in spiritual sickness or death. How much better to follow the counsel ofProverbs 3:5, 6! Said Solomon: “Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.” w12 2/15 1:14, 15

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/7

Isn't that the truth!  It is a sense of relief, being able to throw it all on Jehovah, knowing we can do exactly as he says and be ok.  No checking out his advice or making a choice of our own.  Following his advice will ALWAYS be the best thing to do!  Will always benefit us... no questions asked. 

"a way that is upright before a man..."  Wonderful text today.  What seems right to us may harm us.  Our opinions, judgements, way of thinking may retard or be a barrier to our spiritual development. We know we should read the Bible daily but do we?  Does something else always come first?  I have seen this in my life, I make a decision that I feel confident in and wham, it did not go as i had planned.  A man's wife and children, reap the consequences of such decisions.  Sometimes I beg Jehovah to make the decision for me. And he tells me 'Trust in me with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding.'  Who will rescue me from the consequences of my decisions? And Jesus tells me 'I always do the things pleasing to my father.'  This is the key: "In all your ways take notice of him..." 

Edited by jake3328

Thursday, August 8

Love . . . in deed and truth.—1 John 3:18.

The love produced by holy spirit is markedly different from the sort of love that is common in the world. Jesus highlighted this difference in the Sermon on the Mount. (Matt. 5:43-48) He noted that even sinners will follow a policy of like for like, treating others as others treat them. Such “love” does not involve real sacrifice but amounts to an exchange of favors. If we want to ‘prove ourselves sons of our Father who is in the heavens,’ we must be different. Rather than treating others as they treat us, we are to view and treat others as Jehovah views and treats them. Our love for fellow believers goes further. “We are under obligation to surrender our souls for our brothers.” (1 John 3:16, 17) More often, though, we can show love in smaller ways. The intense love produced by holy spirit can help us to cover over minor transgressions, freely forgiving others “even as Jehovah freely forgave” us.—Col. 3:13, 14; 1 Pet. 4:8w11 4/15 3:4, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/8

Thursday, August 8

Love . . . in deed and truth.—1 John 3:18.

The love produced by holy spirit is markedly different from the sort of love that is common in the world. Jesus highlighted this difference in the Sermon on the Mount. (Matt. 5:43-48) He noted that even sinners will follow a policy of like for like, treating others as others treat them. Such “love” does not involve real sacrifice but amounts to an exchange of favors. If we want to ‘prove ourselves sons of our Father who is in the heavens,’ we must be different. Rather than treating others as they treat us, we are to view and treat others as Jehovah views and treats them. Our love for fellow believers goes further. “We are under obligation to surrender our souls for our brothers.” (1 John 3:16, 17) More often, though, we can show love in smaller ways. The intense love produced by holy spirit can help us to cover over minor transgressions, freely forgiving others “even as Jehovah freely forgave” us.—Col. 3:13, 14; 1 Pet. 4:8w11 4/15 3:4, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/8

Friday, August 9

Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.—Jas. 4:8.

Young ones, the first step on the road to life is to make the truth your own. Have you taken that step? Ask yourself: ‘Am I a spiritual person, or is my participation in spiritual activities dependent on my parents? Do I cultivate qualities that make me pleasing to God? Do I make an effort to maintain a consistent routine of sharing in the activities related to true worship? Am I drawing close to God by nurturing a personal relationship with him?’ Reflect on Moses’ example. Despite having been subjected to a foreign culture, he chose to be identified as a worshipper of Jehovah rather than a son of the daughter of Pharaoh. (Heb. 11:24-27) Christian youths, you too need to be determined to serve Jehovah faithfully. By doing that, you will gain true happiness, the best quality of life now, and the hope of getting “a firm hold on the real life.”—1 Tim. 6:19w11 5/15 1:18, 19

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/9

I love this text.  I am trying to get my girls to realize the importance of serving Jehovah whole-souled and how that does not mean routine!  Being raised in the Truth is sometimes more precarious as young people, not realizing that this is a conscious choice, not just something that "we do".... Being raised in the Truth myself, I struggled with this and made a lot of bad, bad choices....  I pray my girls have a better understanding than I had.  Though baptized when 18, (that's when everyone got baptized), it was just something "we did"...  I really didn't make the truth my own until many years later, (29) after my second marriage to my worldly husband and being disfellowshipped for 9 monhs....... ok, hard lesson to learn and many regrets later....  so, now at 43 years of age, I realize how important it is for children to make some spiritual goals for themselves, for them to sit down and really think about it and that they need to have their own personal study, not just family study, time.  I need to really do this regularly, it has been hit and miss lately, having moved and all..... really need to buckle down again....

I love this scripture ...

We can't physically can't get closer ...

So it is a mental / spiritual drawing or opening ourselves to him .. To allow him into the deepest parts of our soul..

I think of David ... He had compartmentalized certain areas of his life .. Some of the areas were "Jehovah free zones" Jehovah was not allowed into the sexual areas of his life... We know the results..

So in his agony he asked Jehovah to search through all the "rooms or compartments " of his soul to search out any disquieting thoughts..

So when I think of this scripture I always think of inviting Jehovah .. in to all the compartments of our thinking process... Especially areas where we can keep our own private idols...

Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Saturday, August 10

The love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy spirit.—Rom. 5:5.

“The Romans’ greatest . . . bequest to those who succeeded them [was] their law and their sense that life should be lived according to law.” (Dr. David J. Williams of the University of Melbourne, Australia) However valid that might be, there is a bequest or gift of far greater value. This gift is a divine means to have an approved and righteous standing with God and the prospect of salvation and everlasting life. In a sense, there were legal aspects to how God made this gift available. In Romans chapter 5, the apostle Paul did not present these aspects as a dry, legalistic treatise. Rather, he began with this thrilling assurance: “We have been declared righteous as a result of faith, [so] let us enjoy peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Rom. 5:1) Those who receive God’s gift are moved to love him in return. Paul was one. w11 6/15 2:1, 2

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/10

Sunday, August 11

There will also be false teachers among you.—2 Pet. 2:1.

Jehovah through the apostles Paul and Peter warns us about false teachers. (Acts 20:29, 30; 2 Pet. 2:1-3) Who are such teachers and from where do they come? To elders of the Ephesus congregation, Paul said: “From among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things.” So they may arise from within the congregation. Such ones are apostates. What do they want? They are not content just to leave the organization that they perhaps once loved. Their aim, Paul explained, is “to draw away the disciples after themselves.” Note the definite article in the expression “the disciples.” Rather than going out and making their own disciples, apostates seek to take Christ’s disciples with them. Like “ravenous wolves,” false teachers are out to devour trusting members of the congregation, destroying their faith and leading them away from the truth.—Matt. 7:15; 2 Tim. 2:18w11 7/15 2:3, 4

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/11

Monday, August 12

The man at peace with me, in whom I trusted, who was eating my bread, has magnified his heel against me.—Ps. 41:9.

With these words, it was foretold that the Messiah would be betrayed by a treacherous associate. A person who ate bread with someone was thought to be his friend. (Gen. 31:54) So the betrayal of Jesus by Judas Iscariot was treachery of the worst sort. Jesus called attention to the fulfillment of David’s prophetic words when He referred to his betrayer and told his apostles: “I am not talking about all of you; I know the ones I have chosen. But it is in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled, ‘He that used to feed on my bread has lifted up his heel against me.’” (John 13:18) For this act of treachery, Judas received 30 pieces of silver—the price of a slave! Judas never spent his ill-gotten sum, for he threw the money into the temple and went off and committed suicide.—Matt. 26:14-16; 27:3-10w11 8/15 2:5, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/12

It is always interesting to see how all the psalms, the law and the prophets fulfilled, are fulfilling, and will fulfill in the person of Christ Jesus. This one is a good example.

My favourite one is Ps 110. This is amazing how Jesus used it to give a powerful teaching to those who proclaimed knowing the law... (Mat 22:41-46), but "the great crowd was listening to him with pleasure." (Mr 12:37).

I like it !

"O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!"

- Romans 11:33 -

Tuesday, August 13

To obey is better than a sacrifice.—1 Sam. 15:22.

In order to be accepted by Jehovah, the sacrifices prescribed by the Mosaic Law had to be offered with the right spirit and heart condition. The Bible, however, contains cautionary examples of sacrifices that were not acceptable to God. Consider the case of King Saul. The prophet Samuel told Saul that the time had come for Jehovah to execute judgment on the Amalekites. Saul therefore was to exterminate this enemy nation along with its livestock. After his victory, however, Saul allowed his soldiers to preserve alive Agag, the king of the Amalekites. Saul also spared the best of their livestock as something that could be sacrificed to Jehovah. (1 Sam. 15:2, 3, 21) What was Jehovah’s reaction? He rejected Saul for his disobedience. (1 Sam. 15:22, 23) What do we learn from this? That to be acceptable to God, a sacrifice must be accompanied by obedience to his commands. w12 1/15 3:13, 14

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/13

Wednesday, August 14

Be courageous and strong and act. Do not be afraid nor be terrified, for Jehovah God, my God, is with you.—1 Chron. 28:20.

In the 11th century B.C.E., King David said those words to his son Solomon. Solomon acted courageously and built the splendid temple of Jehovah in Jerusalem. In the tenth century B.C.E., the courageous words of an Israelite girl proved to be a blessing for a leper. She had been captured by a marauding band and became a servant of the leprous Syrian army chief Naaman. Having learned about miracles that Jehovah performed through Elisha, she told Naaman’s wife that if her husband would go to Israel, God’s prophet would cure him. Naaman did go to Israel, was miraculously healed, and became a worshipper of Jehovah. (2 Ki. 5:1-3, 10-17) If you are a young person who loves God as that girl did, he can give you courage to witness to teachers, fellow students, and others.w12 2/15 2:10, 11

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/14

Thursday, August 15

Abraham . . . obeyed.—Heb. 11:8.

Abraham and Sarah are mentioned in Paul’s list of the “cloud of witnesses.” (Heb. 11:8-12; 12:1) They were uprooted from their normal life in Ur, and their future appeared uncertain. They proved to be examples of unwavering faith and obedience in trying times. In conjunction with all the sacrifices that Abraham was willing to make for true worship, he was fittingly called “the father of all those having faith.” (Rom. 4:11) Paul touched only on the high points, his readers being well-acquainted with the details of Abraham’s life. Nonetheless, the lesson Paul drew is powerful: “In faith all these [including Abraham and his family] died, although they did not get the fulfillment of the promises, but they saw them afar off and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land.” (Heb. 11:13) Clearly, their faith in God and their personal relationship with him helped them run the race with endurance. w11 9/15 3:10, 14

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/15

As my parents get up in age, 85 and almost 73, this scripture is a little haunting even though faith-strengthening.  My parents have waited their entire "life-time" for the fulfillment of this promise and at 43 I hope we see it together!  If not, we have the resurrection hope, but it is still unsettling to think that I may not see it with them....  It makes me cry and just want Jehovah to hurry it on even more quickly.  That being said, though, It makes me work that much harder to make sure I am there to either help them along in their old age or, to welcome them back, their grand-children in tow..... I am such a blubber baby right now.....

For all of their faults, and believe me there are many, lol!  the one thing that is indisputable is their love for Jehovah!  The rest is just imperfection, especially my father's anger and abuse.... he truly suffered from lack of self-control and just always went to far.... then I see them plugging along, we worked 4 whole streets yesterday, distributing the invitations for our DC this weekend, and believe me, I was exhausted after yesterday and I am 1/2 their age just about!  I can only imagine Family Life in the New System!  WOW, how wonderful will that be!   

Edited by Holly

Friday, August 16

We are perplexed, but not absolutely with no way out.—2 Cor. 4:8.

Distressing events can have a negative effect on our physical health. Of course, eating properly, getting sufficient rest and exercise, and keeping clean can have a good effect on us. A spiritually healthy Bible-based outlook may well affect our body for the good. Thus, it is helpful when going through some anguish that we bear in mind Paul’s experience and encouraging words. (2 Cor. 4:9) Some trials can have a detrimental effect on our spiritual health. Here, too, Jehovah can come to our rescue. His Word assures us: “Jehovah is giving support to all who are falling, and is raising up all who are bowed down.” (Ps. 145:14) For help to counteract spiritual illness, we should seek the assistance of Christian elders. (Jas. 5:14, 15) And constantly keeping in mind the Scriptural hope of everlasting life can help to sustain us during tests of our faith.—John 17:3w11 10/15 3:10, 11

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/16

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" so the saying goes!  Spiritually speaking, this daily text can be considered an ounce of prevention, Daily Bible Reading, well, I wonder what of pound of prevention is worth?  16 ounces in a pound so that would be 16 pounds, multiply that by 7 days a week and voila, you are on your way to being very "healthy".... especially lumped in with prayer, meeting attendance, field service and family worship night....