JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Yes, in the other - Paul SAW the person was about to kill himself:

Acts16:26

Suddenly a great earthquake occurred, so that the foundations of the jail were shaken. Moreover, all the doors were instantly opened, and the bonds of all were loosened. 27 The jailer, being awakened out of sleep and seeing the prison doors were open, drew his sword and was about to do away with himself, imagining that the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul called out with a loud voice, saying: “Do not hurt yourself, for we are all here!” 29 So he asked for lights and leaped in and, seized with trembling, he fell down before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them outside and said: “Sirs, what must I do to get saved?” 31 They said: “Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will get saved, you and your household.” 32 And they spoke the word of Jehovah to him together with all those in his house. 33 And he took them along in that hour of the night and bathed their stripes; and, one and all, he and his were baptized without delay. 34 And he brought them into his house and set a table before them, and he rejoiced greatly with all his household now that he had believed God.

Both cases they DID leave the jail. Jehovah knows the hearts and He is AMAZING at saving people!!!

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Jerry.  It truly does show we need others to help us learn.  The end results were the same.  In my mind I was reasoning that was tantamount to going contrary to what Jehovah provided (a way of escape).  I was trying to compare it to possibly Lot turning back to talk his wife into coming with him.  I can't think to long about this now because I will keep getting myself confused.  I will give this alot more thought.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thursday, July 11

Keep on the watch and pray.—Matt. 26:41.

You might wonder: ‘Is it really possible to imitate Jesus’ example of watchfulness? After all, Jesus was perfect! What is more, Jesus was at times able to see clearly into the future—even thousands of years beyond his own day! Did he really need to be watchful?’ (Matt. 24:37-39; Heb. 4:15) In fact, he did. For instance, on the final night of his earthly life, Jesus urged his faithful apostles: “Keep on the watch with me.” He added: “Keep on the watch and pray continually, that you may not enter into temptation.” (Matt. 26:38, 41) Though he had manifested watchfulness all along, in those dire hours Jesus especially wanted to be watchful and as close to his heavenly Father as possible. He knew that his followers needed the same alertness—not just then but in the future. w12 2/15 1:1, 3

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, July 12

Let your light shine before men.—Matt. 5:16.

Imagine that there was something that would enhance your abilities and attributes, making them more beneficial to your brothers and more useful to God. Would that not be wonderful? Actually, Jehovah gives us just such a gift—his holy spirit. (Luke 11:13) As God’s spirit operates in our life, it produces in us beautiful qualities that enhance every aspect of our service to God. What a marvelous gift! (Gal. 5:22, 23) The qualities that holy spirit produces are a reflection of the very personality of the Source of that spirit, Jehovah God. (Col. 3:9, 10) Jesus indicated the foremost reason why Christians should strive to imitate God when he told his apostles: “My Father is glorified in this, that you keep bearing much fruit.” (John 15:8) As we cultivate “the fruitage of the spirit,” the results are plain to see in the way we speak and act; this, in turn, brings praise to our God. w11 4/15 3:2, 3

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control...

Yes, I can understand why these qualities draw people to our message even if they do not open the door..they may associate us with Jehovah's name..thus glorifying it..just like Jesus did. Looking back on one's life in the Truth we should see an improvement in ourselves regarding these fruits..and better results in the ministry because of it!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Saturday, July 13

Let us stay awake.—1 Thess. 5:6.

How can you young ones work along with your parents so that your family will “stay awake” spiritually? Consider the prize that Jehovah has set before you. Perhaps from your childhood, your parents showed you illustrations depicting life in Paradise. As you grew older, they likely used the Bible and Christian publications to help you visualize what everlasting life would be like in the new world. Keeping your eyes focused on service to Jehovah and planning your life accordingly will help you to “stay awake.” Choose a course that will result in attaining the prize of everlasting life. (1 Cor. 9:24) Many have allowed the pursuit of material things to distract them. Planning a life around gaining riches does not lead to true happiness. The things money can buy are temporary. You, though, keep your eyes on “the things unseen.” Why? Because “the things unseen are everlasting.”—2 Cor. 4:18. w11 5/15 1:15, 16

Parents spend many hours nourishing the hearts of their children with spiritual food and the desire to live in the Paradise...yet at some point the child has to make the truth his own..there are many obstacles Satan and his world put in the way..that's where prayer for Jehovah's spirit to help is especially needed...Since Jehovah promises that he can meet any challenge we must not give up..he understands the heart way deep inside..yes we have to keep Awake and focused and wait on Jehovah...

cat2_e0.gif

Sunday, July 14

Abraham extended his residence as an alien in the land of the Philistines many days.—Gen. 21:34.

When Lot was taken captive by invading armies, Abraham did not hesitate to rescue his nephew. (Gen. 14:14-16) Later, the Philistines “seized by violence” a well of water dug by Abraham’s servants at Beer-sheba. How would a man who had rescued his nephew by overcoming the four kings who had captured him respond to this act? Rather than fight back and repossess his well, Abraham chose to remain silent about the matter. In time, the Philistine king visited Abraham to make a covenant of peace. Only after he got Abraham to swear to him to be kind to the Philistine king’s offspring did Abraham bring up the matter of his stolen well. Shocked to hear about this, the king restored the well to Abraham. As for Abraham, he continued to live peacefully as an alien resident in the land.—Gen. 21:22-31. w11 8/15 3:10, 11

Monday, July 15

Run with endurance.—Heb. 12:1.

What enabled ancient faithful servants of Jehovah to endure and succeed in the race for life? Consider the example of Noah. (Heb. 11:7) “The deluge of waters upon the earth [that would] bring to ruin all flesh” was something that Noah had “not yet beheld.” (Gen. 6:17) It was something that had never taken place before, something totally unprecedented. Still, Noah did not dismiss it as impossible or even improbable. Why? Because he had faith that whatever Jehovah said, Jehovah would do. Noah did not feel that what he was asked to do was too difficult. Rather, “he did just so.” (Gen. 6:22) Considering all that Noah had to do—building the ark, gathering the animals, stocking the ark with food for humans and animals, preaching a warning message, and keeping his family spiritually strong—it was no small task to do “just so.” Yet, Noah’s faith and endurance resulted in life and blessings for him and for his family. w11 9/15 3:13

Tuesday, July 16

Let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.—Phil. 4:6, 7.

At times, we may become so discouraged that we can be in danger of succumbing to the effects of negative emotions. Perhaps we feel unable to care for a certain Scriptural responsibility or privilege of service. Here, too, Jehovah can comfort and help us. To illustrate: When Joshua was commissioned to lead the Israelites against powerful enemy nations, Moses told the people: “Be courageous and strong. Do not be afraid or suffer a shock before them, because Jehovah your God is the one marching with you. He will neither desert you nor leave you entirely.” (Deut. 31:6) With Jehovah’s backing, Joshua was able to lead God’s people into the Promised Land and to victory over all their enemies. Earlier at the Red Sea, Moses had experienced similar divine support.—Ex. 14:13, 14, 29-31. w11 10/15 3:8, 9

This text is so timely...heeding this admonition frustrates Satan's efforts to bring us down. I appreciate the contrast of what the world offers for comfort and what God's Word offers. What the world offers is a temporary fix...maybe a chocolate bar, illegal drugs, legal drugs, entertainment, exercise, go shopping...Prayer to Jehovah however gets instantaneous peace of mind, practical advice, help from real friends, and best of all a closer relationship with Jehovah!

cat2_e0.gif

Wednesday, July 17

First make your peace with your brother.—Matt. 5:24.

You may realize that thoughtlessly, unwittingly, or carelessly, you may have offended a brother. Your conscience may tell you that you have fallen short in your conduct. Anyone who is serious about serving Jehovah would do all in his power to rectify the shortcoming, would he not? That could mean apologizing sincerely to the person offended or, in the case of serious wrongdoing, seeking the spiritual assistance of loving Christian overseers. (Jas. 5:14, 15) So it costs us something to rectify a sin committed against a fellow man or against God himself. Even so, when we make such “sacrifices,” we restore our relationship with Jehovah and our brother and we gain a clean conscience. This, in turn, reassures us that Jehovah’s way is the best way. w12 1/15 3:9, 10

I love this scripture...

It was all about peace.. A peace offering to Jehovah .. Which was shared by the priest..

So really this was a "peace meal" between Jehovah , the priest, and the brother.. And he could only come to the "peace meal" if he truly had settled all issues of a lack of peace...with his brothers...

No cranky crocodiles at the "peace meal" with Jehovah ... Do not let the sun set with you in a non-peaceful state...

Even on here we need .. Peace.. The words we offer up .. To one another should be based on gaining our brother... It is a challenge at times .. Because of varying degrees of sensitivities .. And some times we "idolize our feelings " as if they are the only thing that matters...many times our feelings are not rooted in peace.. But in self..

What really matters is our "peace meal" with Jehovah. And may it be a great barbecue of peace... May it excel all thought and flavour... I can smell it now.. Lol

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I also love this scripture. It is imperative that we go to our brothers and sisters and make peace whenever we even think there could be a problem. By doing this we are showing that we humbly accept that we also sin with our mouth and actions. Saves a lot of stomach problems too.

Sometimes a person doesn't know they have offended someone...this happened to me...years ago a young sister came to me and apologized for anything she said or did to make me not like her! Well this was news to me..especially when I always smile when engaging with friends..I told her I didn't know what she meant..I told her I often commended her and her family to others...we hugged..so you see that is one reason I need to pray that others forgive me as I do them..you just never know what people are thinking or feeling!

cat2_e0.gif

Thursday, July 18

In faith all these . . . publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land.—Heb. 11:13.

From earliest times, faithful servants of Jehovah stood out as different from those in the ungodly world in which they lived. Before the Flood, Enoch and Noah “walked with the true God.” (Gen. 5:22-24; 6:9) Both of them were courageous preachers of Jehovah’s judgments against Satan’s wicked world. (2 Pet. 2:5; Jude 14, 15) Because they walked with God in an ungodly world, Enoch “pleased God well” and Noah “proved himself faultless among his contemporaries.” (Heb. 11:5; Gen. 6:9) At God’s invitation, Abraham and Sarah gave up the comforts of city life in Ur of the Chaldeans and accepted the challenge of living as nomads in a foreign land. (Gen. 11:27, 28; 12:1) The apostle Paul wrote: “By faith [Abraham] resided as an alien in the land of the promise as in a foreign land, and dwelt in tents.”—Heb. 11:8, 9w11 11/15 3:2, 3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/17

Edited by GrumpysWife

Checking to see if it is right.

I love this scripture.  It makes so much sense in helping keep the peace and unity within Jehovah's organization.  
Sometimes people can gossip or talk to other people about the problem without ever approaching the person with whom they need to speak.
And it would surely help the elders too, in our not over-burdening them with things that we should take steps to remedy first, as this scripture shows.  
Jesus, as our exemplar, always shows through his word and example, how we should be and how we should act as true Christians.  :)

Thursday, July 18

In faith all these . . . publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land.—Heb. 11:13.

From earliest times, faithful servants of Jehovah stood out as different from those in the ungodly world in which they lived. Before the Flood, Enoch and Noah “walked with the true God.” (Gen. 5:22-24; 6:9) Both of them were courageous preachers of Jehovah’s judgments against Satan’s wicked world. (2 Pet. 2:5; Jude 14, 15) Because they walked with God in an ungodly world, Enoch “pleased God well” and Noah “proved himself faultless among his contemporaries.” (Heb. 11:5; Gen. 6:9) At God’s invitation, Abraham and Sarah gave up the comforts of city life in Ur of the Chaldeans and accepted the challenge of living as nomads in a foreign land. (Gen. 11:27, 28; 12:1) The apostle Paul wrote: “By faith [Abraham] resided as an alien in the land of the promise as in a foreign land, and dwelt in tents.”—Heb. 11:8, 9w11 11/15 3:2, 3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/18

I like this because it gives us the right perspective on neutrality ... Not just our internal viewpoint... It says they publicly declared.. That they had a different perspective..

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Friday, July 19

The undeserved kindness of the Lord Jesus Christ be with the spirit you show.—Phil. 4:23.

The first-century Christians in Philippi were materially poor. However, they were generous and showed exemplary love for their fellow believers. (Phil. 1:3-5, 9; 4:15, 16) In closing his inspired letter to them, the apostle Paul could therefore write the words of today’s text. Because a similar spirit was shown by the Christians in Thyatira, the glorified Jesus Christ told them: “I know your deeds, and your love and faith and ministry and endurance, and that your deeds of late are more than those formerly.” (Rev. 2:19) Each congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses today likewise manifests a certain spirit, or dominant attitude. Some congregations are especially known for showing a warm, loving spirit. Others are exceptional in their zealous support of the Kingdom-preaching work.w12 2/15 3:1, 2

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/19

Edited by GrumpysWife

Saturday, July 20

Put away all filthiness and that superfluous thing, badness.—Jas. 1:21.

Christians need to allow God’s spirit to lead them both in public and in private. Today in Satan’s world, sordid images and degraded entertainment have proliferated. This poses a danger to our spirituality. What is a Christian to do? Consider the example of Joseph. Although away from his family and his people, Joseph refused to commit adultery with Potiphar’s wife. Why? He said: “How could I commit this great badness and actually sin against God?” (Gen. 39:7-9) Yes, Jehovah was real to him. If God is real to us, we will not view unclean entertainment or do anything else in private that we know displeases God. Our resolve will be like that of the psalmist who sang: “I shall walk about in the integrity of my heart inside my house. I shall not set in front of my eyes any good-for-nothing thing.”—Ps. 101:2, 3w11 4/15 4:13, 15

Saturday, July 20

Put away all filthiness and that superfluous thing, badness.—Jas. 1:21.

Christians need to allow God’s spirit to lead them both in public and in private. Today in Satan’s world, sordid images and degraded entertainment have proliferated. This poses a danger to our spirituality. What is a Christian to do? Consider the example of Joseph. Although away from his family and his people, Joseph refused to commit adultery with Potiphar’s wife. Why? He said: “How could I commit this great badness and actually sin against God?” (Gen. 39:7-9) Yes, Jehovah was real to him. If God is real to us, we will not view unclean entertainment or do anything else in private that we know displeases God. Our resolve will be like that of the psalmist who sang: “I shall walk about in the integrity of my heart inside my house. I shall not set in front of my eyes any good-for-nothing thing.”—Ps. 101:2, 3w11 4/15 4:13, 15

I like Psalm 101:2-3...we used to call the TV Satan's eyeball! But actually I find TV helpful at certain times...like hurricanes! Also getting to see PBS programs about other parts of the world and people's customs...We only use an antenna, but that's OK...However we still must be careful...some previews are demonistic.

cat2_e0.gif

Sunday, July 21

Do arise, O Jehovah! Save me, O my God! For you will have to strike all my enemies on the jaw. The teeth of wicked ones you will have to break.—Ps. 3:7.

Faced with Absalom’s treachery and the disloyalty of so many others, David sings the above. David does not have a vindictive spirit. If his enemies were to be ‘struck on the jaw,’ God would do it. King David has written a personal copy of the Law and knows that in it Jehovah declares: “Vengeance is mine, and retribution.” (Deut. 17:14, 15, 18; 32:35) It is also up to God to ‘break the teeth of the wicked ones.’ Breaking their teeth means rendering them powerless to do harm. Jehovah knows who the wicked are because “he sees what the heart is.” (1 Sam. 16:7) How grateful we are that God gives us faith and strength to stand firm against the chief wicked one, Satan, who will soon be abyssed like a roaring but toothless lion fit only for destruction!—1 Pet. 5:8, 9; Rev. 20:1, 2, 7-10w115/15 5:9, 10

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/21

Monday, July 22

Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly.—1 Pet. 5:2.

The apostle wrote that the older men were to ‘shepherd the flock of God in their care.’ It was most important for them to recognize that the flock belongs to Jehovah and Jesus Christ. The elders had to render an account about how they kept watch over God’s sheep. Suppose that a close friend of yours asked you to look after his children while he was away. Would you not take good care of them and feed them? If one child got sick, would you not make sure that he received any needed medical help? Similarly, the elders in the congregation are “to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son.” (Acts 20:28) They keep in mind that each sheep was bought with the precious blood of Christ Jesus. Being accountable, the elders feed, protect, and care for the flock. w11 6/15 3:5

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/22

Tuesday, July 23

I became disgusted with this generation and said, “They always go astray in their hearts, and they themselves have not come to know my ways.” So I swore in my anger, “They shall not enter into my rest.”—Heb. 3:10, 11.

What a privilege Israel had—to work along with Jehovah’s purpose, resulting in blessings not only for themselves but, eventually, for all families of the earth! (Gen. 22:18) However, as a whole, that rebellious generation showed little interest in setting up a model kingdom under theocratic rule. Why, they even demanded to return to Egypt! (Num. 14:2-4) Now, how would their returning to Egypt advance God’s purpose to make Israel into a model kingdom? It would not do so. In fact, if the Israelites returned to the custody of their pagan captors, they would never be able to follow the Mosaic Law and benefit from Jehovah’s arrangement for forgiveness of their sins. How fleshly—how shortsighted—they were!—Ps. 95:10, 11w11 7/15 3:9

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/23