JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Wednesday, May 8

To God I shall call out; and Jehovah himself will save me.—Ps. 55:16.

How comforting it is to know that no matter how dire our situation is, we can call out to Jehovah with a “request for favor”! (Ps. 55:1) However, when we pray for deliverance from a troublesome situation, it is wise to examine our motives. Are we concerned exclusively with getting relief from the problem, or do we keep Jehovah and his purpose in mind? Personal suffering can easily cause us to get so caught up in our own situation that concern over spiritual matters fades into the background. When praying to God for help, let us keep our mind focused on Jehovah, the sanctification of his name, and the vindication of his sovereignty. Doing so can help us to maintain a positive outlook even if the solution that we hope for fails to materialize. The answer to our prayers may be that we need to endure the situation with God’s help.—Isa. 40:29; Phil. 4:13. w11 11/15 1:7, 9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thursday, May 9

[May your] eyes . . . prove to be opened toward this house night and day, toward the place of which you said, “My name will prove to be there,” to listen to the prayer with which your servant prays toward this place.—1 Ki. 8:29.

When the temple was finished and the ark of the covenant was placed in it, Solomon offered a public prayer in which he spoke the words of today’s text. Israelites and foreigners could pray toward this structure on which God’s name was called. (1 Ki. 8:30, 41-43, 60) After celebrating the temple’s inauguration, the people were “rejoicing and feeling merry of heart over all the goodness that Jehovah had performed for David his servant and for Israel.” (1 Ki. 8:65, 66) In fact, remarkable peace and prosperity marked Solomon’s 40-year reign. (1 Ki. 4:20, 21, 25) Psalm 72 reflects that and gives us insight into the blessings we will enjoy under the rule of the Greater Solomon, Jesus Christ.—Ps. 72:6-8, 16. w11 12/15 1:8, 9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, May 10

Happy is the man that has not walked in the counsel of the wicked ones.—Ps. 1:1.

Think about the first time you had a meaningful discussion with one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do you remember about it? Many would reply, ‘I was impressed by the fact that the Witness used the Bible to answer all my questions.’ How delighted we were to discover God’s purpose for the earth, what happens when we die, and what the future holds for our dead loved ones! As we studied further, however, we realized that the Bible does much more than answer our questions about life, death, and the future. We came to appreciate that the Bible is the most practical book in the world. Its counsel is timeless, and those who carefully follow it will lead successful and happy lives. (Ps. 1:1-3) Genuine Christians have always accepted the Bible, “not as the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is, as the word of God.”—1 Thess. 2:13. w12 1/15 1:1, 2

Saturday, May 11

God saw good for all fullness to dwell in [Christ].—Col. 1:19.

Christ is the key figure in the fulfilling of God’s purpose. And what is Jehovah’s purpose? It is “to reconcile again to himself all other things by making peace through the [shed] blood” of Jesus Christ. (Col. 1:20) Expressing his heartfelt gratitude for Jehovah’s provision, Paul wrote to the anointed Christians in Ephesus: “God, who is rich in mercy, . . . made us alive together with the Christ, even when we were dead in trespasses—by undeserved kindness you have been saved.” (Eph. 2:4, 5) Whether we have a heavenly hope or an earthly hope, we are deeply indebted to God for his mercy and undeserved kindness. Our hearts are filled with gratitude as we consider the extent to which Jehovah went to make it possible for mankind to enjoy peace with him. When we are confronted with situations that threaten the peaceful unity of the congregation, should not our appreciatively reflecting on God’s example move us to be peacemakers? w11 8/15 3:6, 8

Sunday, May 12

Because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, . . . let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.—Heb. 12:1

The ‘great cloud of witnesses’ were no mere spectators or bystanders, as it were, who were there only to watch the race. Rather, they were participants, like runners in a race. And they had successfully run the race and finished it. Though now deceased, they could be thought of as seasoned runners who could encourage newer runners in the race. Imagine how a contestant would feel if he knew that surrounding, or watching, him were some of the most accomplished runners. Would he not be moved to do his best or even to outdo himself? Those witnesses of old could testify that such a figurative race, no matter how strenuous, can be won. Thus, by keeping closely in mind the example of the “cloud of witnesses,” the first-century Hebrew Christians could draw courage and ‘run the race with endurance’—as can we today. w11 9/15 3:10, 11

Monday, May 13

God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.—1 Cor. 10:13.

Jehovah’s worshippers are precious to him. Jesus made this clear when he said: “Five sparrows sell for two coins of small value, do they not? Yet not one of them goes forgotten before God. But even the hairs of your heads are all numbered. Have no fear; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6, 7) Trusting in Jehovah and in the fulfillment of his promises can bring us comfort in times of distress. Our heavenly Father is not limited by anything or anyone and therefore has at his disposal whatever means are needed to provide comfort for those who love him. In turn, we are able to comfort fellow believers “in any sort of tribulation.” We can do so “through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God.” (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) How well this expresses Jehovah’s unmatched ability to comfort despairing ones! w11 10/15 3:3-5

I am often impressed by how many times Jehovah and Jesus say...

Have no fear.... or do not be afraid.......

And how fear is the basis for a lot of our anxieties ...

And it so debilitating ....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

"God is faithful"....What a statement!  Sometimes when reading our literature or a verse out of the Bible I get the full impact of a simple statement such as this and I am almost at a loss for words.(I said ALMOST)

What comfort that should bring to us as we traverse though the end of this wicked system.

No matter what we see or feel around us...IF we are true in our love for Him he will be there for us.

There is nothing that can separate us from our faithful God except us.

How this must anger Jehovah's adversary,  knowing there is nothing he can do that can stop Jehovah's faithful attention to us if we are faithful to Him.

What a faith strengthening text to start my day!

Tuesday, May 14

Those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those in accord with the spirit on the things of the spirit.—Rom. 8:5.

Here the flesh is not necessarily the physical body. In the Bible, the word “flesh” is sometimes used to denote the sinful and imperfect nature of the fallen flesh. This nature is what causes the conflict between the flesh and the mind that Paul mentioned earlier. (Rom. 7:21-23) Unlike him, however, those who “are in accord with the flesh” do not even put up a fight. Instead of considering what God requires of them and accepting the help he has provided, they are inclined to “set their minds on the things of the flesh.” They often focus on the satisfying of their bodily comforts and physical desires. In contrast, the inclination of those who are “in accord with the spirit” is to set their minds on “the things of the spirit”—spiritual provisions and activity. w11 11/15 2:14

like my husband said this morning after we read the daily text, "that it is hard to not mind the flesh and put it first, because we think of that first much of the time." I know what he is getting at because he loves to eat, ugh, this man has no shut off valve. He wants 3 meals a day and I ain't talking simple meals. I like to eat fruit or cottage cheese in the morning or just a tortilla. Before we got married I would just eat one meal a day usually fruit and veggies. 

But my poor hubby wakes up thinking about something to eat and he is not overweight. He truly enjoys food. 

I think of food as something that I have to do but don't always want to. 

Finally after a year of reading. I get it!

Yes !

Here the flesh is not necessarily the physical body. In the Bible, the word “flesh” is sometimes used to denote the sinful and imperfect nature of the fallen flesh. So correct !

Thank you Brother, may YHWH bless you ! My prayers are with you brother !

Wednesday, May 15

Go on acquiring power in the Lord and in the mightiness of his strength . . . that you may be able to resist in the wicked day.—Eph. 6:10, 13.

Jehovah has equipped us to resist the spirit of the world. By means of his spirit, Jehovah fortifies us to withstand Satan’s efforts to mislead us. (Rev. 12:9) The spirit of the world is strong, and we cannot avoid it altogether. However, we do not have to be corrupted by it. Holy spirit is even stronger, and it will help us! Of those who forsook Christianity in the first century, the apostle Peter said: “Abandoning the straight path, they have been misled.” (2 Pet. 2:15) How very thankful we can be that we have received, “not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God”! (1 Cor. 2:12) With the help of its influence and by taking full advantage of all of Jehovah’s provisions to keep us on the right path spiritually, we can succeed in resisting the satanic spirit of this wicked world.—Gal. 5:16. w11 12/15 2:14, 15

“Put on the complete suit of armor from God that you may be able to stand firm against the machinations of the Devil . . . Take up the complete suit of armor from God, that you may be able to resist in the wicked day and, after you have done all things thoroughly, to stand firm.”—Ephesians 6:11, 13.

In this time of the end, Satan has intensified his efforts.This master of deception is especially bent on devouring those who are worshiping God “with spirit and truth.” (John 4:24; 1 Peter 5:8) Never forget that Satan has, in effect, claimed: ‘I can turn anyone away from God.(Job 1:9-12)

Satan has long used apostates in his efforts to seduce God’s servants. (Matthew 13:36-39) Apostates may claim to worship Jehovah and to believe the Bible, but they reject the visible part of his organization. Some even return to the God-dishonoring doctrines of “Babylon the Great,” the world empire of false religion. (Revelation 17:5; 2 Peter 2:19-22) many apostates seek to “draw away the disciples [that is, Christ’s disciples] after themselves.” (Acts 20:29, 30) We “avoid them” by steering clear of their reasonings—whether in person, in printed form, or on the Internet. We take such a stand because God’s Word directs us to do so, and we trust that Jehovah always has our best interests at heart.—Isaiah 48:17, 18.

Self-deception can easily ensnare us. The treacherous heart may rationalize away a serious personality flaw or make excuses for a grave sin. (1 Samuel 15:13-15, 20, 21) Our desperate heart may also look for ways to justify questionable conduct.  Some entertainment is wholesome and enjoyable. However, much of what this world offers—in movies and television programs and on Internet sites—is obscene and immoral. It is easy to convince ourselves that we can view seedy entertainment without any harm. Some even reason, “It does not bother my conscience, so what’s the problem?” But such individuals are ‘deceiving themselves with false reasoning.’—James 1:22.

If we are to avoid self-deception, analyze yourself prayerfully. (Psalm 26:2; 2 Corinthians 13:5) Honest self-analysis may open your eyes to the need to make some changes.  Listen to others. (James 1:19) Since self-examination tends to be subjective, it is wise to listen to the objective words of mature fellow Christians. If you find yourself making decisions or acting in ways that are questionable in the eyes of balanced, experienced fellow believers, you might ask yourself, ‘Could it be that my conscience has not been properly trained or that my heart is deceiving me?’ Regularly feed on the Bible and Bible-based publications. (Psalm 1:2) 

Satan uses a variety of lies in his efforts to deceive us. He tries to convince us that material possessions bring happiness and satisfaction, yet the opposite often proves true. (Ecclesiastes 5:10-12) He would have us believe that this wicked world will go on forever, although there is clear evidence that we are living in “the last days.” (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Satan promotes the idea that there is no harm in pursuing an immoral life-style, even though pleasure-seekers often reap bitter consequences. (Galatians 6:7) 
There is another lie that Satan has effectively used—the lie that Jehovah neither loves us nor values us. Satan has had thousands of years to study imperfect humans. He well knows that discouragement can weaken us. (Proverbs 24:10) Hence, he promotes the lie that we are worthless in God’s eyes. If we are “thrown down” and become convinced that Jehovah does not care about us, we may be tempted to give up. (2 Corinthians 4:9) That is just what the great Deceiver wants! 

Jehovah’s hand is not too short to support and strengthen his faithful people. (Isaiah 59:1) The psalmist David sang: “Jehovah is giving support to all who are falling, and is raising up all who are bowed down.” (Psalm 145:14) Indeed, our heavenly Father “daily carries the load for us” and supplies what we really need.—Psalm 68:19

Wow !

I can read this before bed time and be more prepare to fight the next day

Satan uses a variety of lies in his efforts to deceive us. He tries to convince us that material possessions bring happiness and satisfaction, yet the opposite often proves true. (Ecclesiastes 5:10-12) He would have us believe that this wicked world will go on forever, although there is clear evidence that we are living in “the last days.” (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Satan promotes the idea that there is no harm in pursuing an immoral life-style, even though pleasure-seekers often reap bitter consequences. (Galatians 6:7) 

There is another lie that Satan has effectively used—the lie that Jehovah neither loves us nor values us. Satan has had thousands of years to study imperfect humans. He well knows that discouragement can weaken us. (Proverbs 24:10) Hence, he promotes the lie that we are worthless in God’s eyes. If we are “thrown down” and become convinced that Jehovah does not care about us, we may be tempted to give up. (2 Corinthians 4:9) That is just what the great Deceiver wants! 

Jehovah’s hand is not too short to support and strengthen his faithful people. (Isaiah 59:1) The psalmist David sang: “Jehovah is giving support to all who are falling, and is raising up all who are bowed down.” (Psalm 145:14) Indeed, our heavenly Father “daily carries the load for us” and supplies what we really need.—Psalm 68:19

Well written brother

Thursday, May 16

Be vigilant with a view to prayers.—1 Pet. 4:7.

Persevering in prayer is essential to keeping on the watch. Recall that in the garden of Gethsemane just before his arrest, Jesus told three of his apostles: “Keep on the watch and pray continually.” (Matt. 26:41) Peter, who was present on that occasion, later experienced firsthand the power of fervent prayers. (Acts 12:1-6) After being arrested by Herod, Peter was chained between 2 guards, with 16 guards working in shifts day and night to make sure that this apostle did not escape. Herod’s intention was to present Peter to the people after the Passover, his death sentence a gift to delight the crowds. Verse 5 reads: “Consequently Peter was being kept in the prison; but prayer to God for him was being carried on intensely by the congregation.” How did things turn out for Peter? During his final night in the prison while he was fast asleep between his two guards, an angel set Peter free.—Acts 12:7-11. w12 1/15 2:10-13, 15

Friday, May 17

Become kind to one another.—Eph. 4:32.

Like a gentle breeze and a cool drink on a hot day, kindness and goodness are refreshing. Within the family circle, they contribute to a pleasant atmosphere. Kindness is an endearing quality that stems from genuine interest in others, an interest that is manifested in helpful acts and considerate words. Goodness, like kindness, is a positive quality that is expressed in actions that benefit others. It is marked by a spirit of generosity. (Acts 9:36, 39; 16:14, 15) But goodness involves something more. Goodness is moral excellence. It involves not just what we do but, more important, what we are. Picture a woman preparing fruit for her family, examining each piece as she slices it to make sure that it is sweet and ripe all the way through, without defect inside or out. Similarly, the goodness produced by holy spirit permeates a Christian’s entire way of life.—Eph. 5:8, 9. w11 4/15 4:8, 9

Saturday, May 18

O Jehovah, why have my adversaries become many?—Ps. 3:1.

“The heart of the men of Israel has come to be behind Absalom,” says a messenger. (2 Sam. 15:13) Wondering how Absalom has been able to marshal such support, David asks the above question. Many Israelites think that Jehovah will not deliver David from calamity at the hands of Absalom and his cohorts. But David is confident because he has implicit trust in God. He sings: “Yet you, O Jehovah, are a shield about me, my glory and the One lifting up my head.” (Ps. 3:3) David is sure that Jehovah will protect him just as a shield protects a soldier. Yes, the aging king is fleeing, his head covered and bent down in humiliation. But the Most High will change David’s condition to one of glory. Jehovah will enable him to stand erect, to raise his head and hold it high once again. David calls out with confidence that God will answer him. Do you display such trust in Jehovah? w11 5/15 5:3, 4

With regard to the expression “the One lifting up my head,” one reference work says: “When God lifts up . . . one’s ‘head,’ He fills one with hope and confidence.” Forced from Israel’s throne, David has reason to be despondent. However, ‘the lifting up of his head’ will result in renewed courage, confidence, and complete trust in God.

I love that expression "God lifts up one's head". I think I will use it my prayers. 

Sunday, May 19

Teacher, I will follow you wherever you are about to go.—Matt. 8:19.

A scribe said the above to Jesus. However, when Jesus told him that “the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head,” the scribe had second thoughts. The uncertainty of where his next meal would come from or where he would live apparently did not sit well with the scribe, for there is no indication that he became a follower of Christ. (Matt. 8:20) Men often put material security ahead of spiritual pursuits. Getting higher education and securing a well-paying job are priorities for many of them. According to their way of thinking, the reward of making money is more urgent and practical than any benefits that might come from studying the Scriptures and seeking a close relationship with God. What the Bible teaches may appeal to them, but “the anxieties of this system of things and the deceptive power of riches” choke whatever interest they may have.—Mark 4:18, 19. w11 11/15 4:3, 4

Monday, May 20

Anything in which there is a defect you must not present.—Lev. 22:20.

A fundamental standard concerning any animal that was to be sacrificed to Jehovah was that it be “sound” in all respects—not blind, injured, deformed, or sick. (Lev. 22:21, 22) When the Israelites offered fruits or grains to Jehovah, they needed to be “the very best” of their harvests. (Num. 18:12, 29) A second-rate offering was not acceptable to Jehovah. The important requirement regarding animal sacrifices pictured that Jesus’ sacrifice would be spotless and unblemished and that Jehovah would sacrifice what was best and dearest to him in order to redeem mankind. (1 Pet. 1:18, 19) The person making a sacrifice knew that God would not be pleased with a defective offering because that would indicate that the man considered the sacrifice a mere formality, even a burden. (Mal. 1:6-8, 13) This should make us reflect on our service to God: ‘Might it be appropriate for me to review the quality of my service and my motives for serving him?’ w12 1/15 3:6, 7