JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Sunday, June 16

The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control.—Gal. 5:22, 23.

We are wise to take stock of ourselves to be sure that our words and actions give evidence that we are directed by holy spirit and are producing its fruitage. (2 Cor. 13:5a; Gal. 5:25) If we see that we need to cultivate some aspects of the fruitage of the spirit, we can cooperate with holy spirit to a greater degree in producing such qualities. We do this by studying each aspect as it is revealed through the pages of the Bible and discussed in our Christian publications. Thus we can discern how the spirit’s fruitage should be manifested in our everyday life and then work to cultivate it to a greater extent. As we observe the results of the operation of God’s spirit in our own life as well as in the lives of our fellow Christians, we clearly see why we must be guided by it. w11 12/15 2:16, 17

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monday, June 17

Peter was being kept in the prison; but prayer to God for him was being carried on intensely by the congregation.—Acts 12:5.

Their prayers in behalf of their beloved brother were intense, heartfelt pleas. So the death of James had not plunged them into despair; nor had it caused them to view prayer as ineffective. On the contrary, they knew that the prayers of faithful worshippers mean a great deal to Jehovah. If such prayers are in harmony with his will, he answers them. (Heb. 13:18, 19; Jas. 5:16) What can we learn from the response of Peter’s fellow Christians? Keeping on the watch involves praying not just for ourselves but for our brothers and sisters as well. (Eph. 6:18) Do you know of fellow believers who are beset by trials? Some may be enduring persecution, governmental bans, natural disasters, or less noticeable hardships. Why not make them the subject of your heartfelt prayers? w12 1/15 2:13, 14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Tuesday, June 18

With my voice I shall call to Jehovah himself, and he will answer me from his holy mountain.—Ps. 3:4.

Trusting in Jehovah and filled with confidence, David wrote the above. In keeping with David’s orders, the ark of the covenant, symbolizing God’s presence, has been taken to Mount Zion. (2 Sam. 15:23-25) Fittingly, then, David refers to having his prayer answered from Jehovah’s holy mountain. Certain that prayer to God will not be in vain, David experiences no dread. Instead, he sings: “As for me, I will lie down that I may sleep; I shall certainly awake, for Jehovah himself keeps supporting me.” (Ps. 3:5) Even at night, when the danger of surprise attack is the greatest, David is not afraid to go to sleep. He is sure that he will awake, for his past experiences have made him absolutely confident that he can trust in God’s unfailing support. So can we if we adhere to “the ways of Jehovah” and never depart from him.—2 Sam. 22:21, 22. w11 5/15 5:6, 7

Wednesday, June 19

Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it.—Col. 3:9, 10.

In a Christian household, what can help family members to treat one another with kindness and goodness? Accurate knowledge of God’s Word plays an important role. Some family heads include a study of the fruitage of the spirit as part of their weekly Family Worship evening. Such a consideration is not difficult to arrange. Using the research tools available in your language, select material on each aspect of the spirit’s fruitage. You might consider just a few paragraphs per week, spending several weeks on each aspect. As you study the material, read and discuss the cited scriptures. Look for ways to apply what you learn, and pray for Jehovah to bless your efforts.—1 Tim. 4:15; 1 John 5:14, 15. w11 4/15 4:10

I really like the suggestion in the daily text today. I think we'll do that starting tomorrow. I have to explain it to my husband first though ;)

Then we could each night at dinner discuss how that aspect of the fruitage helped us that day. That way we would have a whole week to work on one of them and really let it sink in.

I love how the daily text seems like 'new material' even though it's no more than a couple years old :)

I don't remember that suggestion....

It really is a good idea for us all to implement into our personal study too. Work on one and then another so that we are constantly improving our personality.

Thursday, June 20

At once abandoning the nets, they followed him.—Matt. 4:20.

What helped Peter, Andrew, James, and John take up the full-time ministry? Was it an emotional, spur-of-the-moment decision? Hardly! Over the previous months, these men listened to Jesus, saw him perform miracles, observed his zeal for righteousness, and witnessed the amazing response to his preaching. As a result, their faith in Jehovah and their trust in him became stronger! (Matt. 4:18-22) How can we imitate Jesus in helping our Bible students to build their trust in Jehovah? (Prov. 3:5, 6) When teaching, we can highlight God’s promise to bless us abundantly if we put Kingdom interests first. (Mal. 3:10; Matt. 6:33) Although we can use various scriptures to emphasize how Jehovah provides for his people, not to be overlooked is the effect of the example we ourselves set. Sharing experiences from our own life can accomplish much in helping our students develop reliance on Jehovah. w11 11/15 4:6, 7

Jehovah favors the humble, not the haughty. (James 4:6) He hides the truth from “wise and intellectual ones”—worldly-wise and learned ones who in their pride and self-reliance feel no need for his help. (1 Corinthians 1:19-21) But he reveals the truth to “babes”—those who come to him with sincere hearts, showing childlike humility. (Matthew 18:1-4; 1 Corinthians 1:26-28) God’s Son, Jesus, saw such responses firsthand. Many proud, highly educated religious leaders did not get the sense of Jesus’ message, but humble fishermen did. (Matthew 4:18-22; 23:1-5; Acts 4:13) At the same time, some wealthy and educated ones who showed genuine humility became Jesus’ followers.—Luke 19:1, 2, 8; Acts 22:1-3.

This truth above never fails to make me feel so loved by Jehovah! To realize that it is as simple as a right heart and humble attitude and not some complex secret to unlock and we can know the right answers that mankind have wondered about for eternity. I feel like we belong to some elite club that has been bestowed such favors, And yet Jehovah wants that for all mankind.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

It does feel like a club, doesn't it? And if we want to keep our membership in this elite club, we have to stay up to date with all of the instructions the administrator tells us to do. Meetings, service, etc. Then with endurance we can become a lifetime member.

Jehovah favors the humble, not the haughty. (James 4:6) He hides the truth from “wise and intellectual ones”—worldly-wise and learned ones who in their pride and self-reliance feel no need for his help. (1 Corinthians 1:19-21) But he reveals the truth to “babes”—those who come to him with sincere hearts, showing childlike humility. (Matthew 18:1-4; 1 Corinthians 1:26-28) God’s Son, Jesus, saw such responses firsthand. Many proud, highly educated religious leaders did not get the sense of Jesus’ message, but humble fishermen did. (Matthew 4:18-22; 23:1-5; Acts 4:13) At the same time, some wealthy and educated ones who showed genuine humility became Jesus’ followers.—Luke 19:1, 2, 8; Acts 22:1-3.

This truth above never fails to make me feel so loved by Jehovah! To realize that it is as simple as a right heart and humble attitude and not some complex secret to unlock and we can know the right answers that mankind have wondered about for eternity. I feel like we belong to some elite club that has been bestowed such favors, And yet Jehovah wants that for all mankind.

Would you believe at one point I was haughty?  Had all the inklings of it.  High IQ, good education, I thought quite a bit of myself.  When I started studying the bible I realized how very like Paul I was.  Insolent, not leaving others with dignity, violent (to the point of even having developed a reputation as being one you didn't want to mess with on the reserve).   My Mom actually said that my anger scared her at times, and that she felt I was actually capable of murder.  Top all this off with a very, very sharp tongue.  All this despite knowing and professing to love God (seriously LOL)

The tongue is something I still fight against today, as well as the anger.  I have realized though what my breaking point is, and I just do not respond to things the way I used to.  Hearing certain scriptures, reading them, they literally ripped off aspects of my old personality.  I like to think the weeding process is still in effect. 

The one loving violence Jehovah surely hates, that took me longer.  I loved martial arts, loved shoot em' up and kill em' movies.  Loose conduct could have been my middle name....  the list goes on.  

Thursday, June 20

At once abandoning the nets, they followed him.—Matt. 4:20.

What helped Peter, Andrew, James, and John take up the full-time ministry? Was it an emotional, spur-of-the-moment decision? Hardly! Over the previous months, these men listened to Jesus, saw him perform miracles, observed his zeal for righteousness, and witnessed the amazing response to his preaching. As a result, their faith in Jehovah and their trust in him became stronger! (Matt. 4:18-22) How can we imitate Jesus in helping our Bible students to build their trust in Jehovah? (Prov. 3:5, 6) When teaching, we can highlight God’s promise to bless us abundantly if we put Kingdom interests first. (Mal. 3:10; Matt. 6:33) Although we can use various scriptures to emphasize how Jehovah provides for his people, not to be overlooked is the effect of the example we ourselves set. Sharing experiences from our own life can accomplish much in helping our students develop reliance on Jehovah. w11 11/15 4:6, 7

However, like these men, I listened to Jesus through the words in the scriptures, I observed intently his miracles and was awed by his preaching and revelation of the scriptures.  My love for Jehovah then became not only something I thought, but it also changed my actions, my thoughts and my responses.  

At some point in the future I would like to throw down my nets and work the ministry thoroughly, I don't know what that looks like yet, but I know that Jehovah will guide me in doing so, as I know that is also his will.  

Yes Sharon, I can believe that because you told me it to be so. We all have so many changes to make--and it seems like the time to do so is rushing in.  Sometimes I am so fearful I won't be able to make all the changes I need to accompolish but I still am thankful to Jehovah for allowing me to associate with his people and to know his purpose.  Isn't it a thrill to know the answers to those deep questions of life?  It is so humbling to know the answers.  I really value a proper education and love to hear people speak who have a command of the English language.  If I can find a post later of a segment from Designing Women I will do so to show you what I mean.  Love to you my sweet sister!

Well, that did not take long at all to find this quote!

Julia: [reading aloud a letter from Dash Goff] Yesterday, in my mind's eye, I saw four women standing on a veranda in white, gauzy dresses and straw-colored hats. They were having a conversation. And it was hot. Their hankies tucked in cleavages where eternal trickles of perspiration run from the female breastbone to exotic vacation spots that southern men often dream about. They were sweet-smelling, coy, cunning, voluptuous, voracious, delicious, pernicious, vexing and sexing... these earth sister/rebel mothers... these arousers and carousers. And I was filled with a longing to join them. But like a whim of Scarlett's, they turned suddenly and went inside, shutting me out with a bolt of a latch. And I was left only to pick up an abandoned handkerchief and savor the perfumed shadows of these women... these southern women. This Suzanne. This Julia. This Mary Jo and Charlene. Thanks for the comfort, Dash Goff... the writer.

Share this

This was a show where Suzanne's ex-husband had returned for a visit (was depressed and suicidial)  I can't remember his name in real life but he was her real life husband and he also played Major Dad and in a series where he was a detective along with his brother.  Anyway, I digress.  In Designing Women he was a writer and he had a particular style of writing that was such southern charm, yet sweet and racy all at the same time.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Friday, June 21

With such sacrifices God is well pleased.—Heb. 13:16.

If an Israelite’s sacrifice was a voluntary manifestation of sincere gratitude to Jehovah, then making the appropriate choice of animal would likely present no challenge. The worshipper would be happy to give Jehovah his very best. Christians today do not make the literal sacrifices stipulated by the Mosaic Law; yet they do make sacrifices, in the sense that they use their time, energy, and resources to serve Jehovah. The apostle Paul referred to the “public declaration” of the Christian hope and “the doing of good and the sharing of things with others” as sacrifices that please God. (Heb. 13:15) The spirit with which Jehovah’s people engage in such activities reveals how grateful and appreciative they are for all that God has given to them. So there is a parallel between the attitudes and motivations of those who engage in Christian service today and those who offered voluntary sacrifices in ancient times. w12 1/15 3:8

Sacrifice is such an individual thing.  What is a sacrifice to one may not be to another.  If you have money to spare a monetary sacrifice may not seem like much--it can be an easy way "out"---even though it is helpful for the intent it is to be used,  it can not be an actual sacrifice to the one giving it.  If you have time to be in the ministry --as in single, good health, no family responsibilities, no burdensome work schedule then the time spent is not a sacrifice--it is left over time.  But when you make the time and arrange your schedule to accommodate this important work around a busy schedule or amid health or family problems, or spiritual problems then that is a true sacrifice.  When we give up things that are important to us--then that is a sacrifice.  I loved the illustration of the widow dropping in two small coins of little value---it so aptly describes the sacrifice.  Jehovah asks so very little of us.  Why at times does it seem like so much?  

LeslieDean

Today I heard an interesting comment about this day's text. It's from one sister. She said that the intentions (or the motivation) of our sacrifice should be right. Because it really matters before Jehovah. She mentioned the warning example of Uzzah and Cain. From a human perspective, what Uzzah did was right. But Jehovah can see the heart. (1 Sam. 16:7.) That's why Jehovah punished Uzzah and rejected Cain's sacrifice. If Uzzah and Cain knew what they did (or their actions) would be written and read by millions and serve as a warning example, would they have done what they did? This taught me to think, not only of my sacrifice to Jehovah, but my intentions (or motive) of doing it. :yes:

Jehovah is not just willing to reward his faithful servants—he is eager to do so.

Saturday, June 22

Shepherd the flock of God in your care.—1 Pet. 5:2.

Sometime before Nero launched his persecution against Christians in Rome, the apostle Peter wrote his first letter. He wanted to strengthen his fellow believers. The Devil was ‘walking about,’ seeking to devour Christians. To stand firm against him, they needed to ‘keep their senses’ and to ‘humble themselves under the mighty hand of God.’ (1 Pet. 5:6, 8) They also needed to stay united. They could not afford to be “biting and devouring one another,” for that could result in their being “annihilated by one another.” (Gal. 5:15) Today, we face a similar situation. The Devil is looking for opportunities to devour us. (Rev. 12:12) And ahead of us looms a “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning.” (Matt. 24:21) Just as first-century Christians had to guard against squabbling among themselves, so must we. To accomplish this, at times we need help from qualified older men. w11 6/15 3:1, 2

A villager might own only a few sheep. So he would hire a shepherd who would add the small flock to another one. Hired shepherds had a reputation for showing less concern for the animals of others than for their own.—John 10:12, 13.

I noticed this in one of our publications.  It made me think about how Christendom has to hire their sheppards (priests, rabbis, pastors, ministers, etc) to "watch over" their congreagations.  What I found of interest was "hired sheperds had a reputation for showing less concern"  It made me really appreciate how hard our elders and FDS, CO, governing body---everyone works for basically nothing/ some a small stippend, but they do it for Jehovah and for our own good.  So much to appreciate with this brief scripture.  So much love and concern shown.

LeslieDean

What a good thought, Leslie. I have always appreciated the men who take the lead, but I never thought of it in that light. That is so true, Our elders and ministerial servants do work hard and tirelessly at times to make sure that we are cared for in the most important way, spiritually. We should show our appreciation of them by being agreeable and following along when they make suggestions. Never would we want to be talking behind their backs, finding fault. Their caring for us is essential to our spiritual health. 

Sunday, June 23

I am proceeding to go down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians.—Ex. 3:8.

God’s purpose in delivering the Israelites was to raise them up as his people. (Gen. 22:17) God gave them a code of laws that would enable them to enjoy a peaceful relationship with him. (Isa. 48:17, 18) He told the Israelites: “If you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant [as outlined in the Law code], then you will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples.” (Ex. 19:5, 6) Thus, the Israelites’ enjoying a privileged relationship with God was contingent on their obeying his voice. Just think what life would have been like if the Israelites had only obeyed God’s voice! Jehovah would have blessed their fields, their vineyards, their flocks, and their herds. Also, their enemies would have had no permanent hold on them, providing concrete proof that obedience to the true God brings spiritual and material blessings.—1 Ki. 10:23-27. w11 7/15 3:7, 8

Monday, June 24

The one covering over transgression is seeking love, and he that keeps talking about a matter is separating those familiar with one another.—Prov. 17:9.

If a Christian becomes aware of a serious sin on the part of a fellow believer, he should encourage that one to confess the sin to the elders. (1 Cor. 6:9, 10; Jas. 5:14-16) If the wrongdoer does not do so, the Christian who has come to know about the sin should report it. Failure to do this in a mistaken effort to maintain peace with the sinner makes one a party to the wrongdoing. (Lev. 5:1; Prov. 29:24) However, most disputes between brothers do not involve serious wrongdoing that requires judicial action. How good it is, therefore, lovingly to cover over the mistakes of others. Complying with the words of our text for the day will help all of us to preserve peace in the congregation and maintain a good relationship with Jehovah.—Matt. 6:14, 15. w11 8/15 4:15, 17

Man on man, this is a tough one.  Have been in that position several times and it is a heart breaker.  I kept closing my eyes to my feelings (did not want to believe it was true) then the evidence jumped right out and bit me.  Much harder after not facing it for so long.  

LeslieDean

This is very hard to do if it involves a family member, but their lives could be impacted in a negative way if we don't do what we should do. As Leslie says, a heart breaker.

Tuesday, June 25

If anyone loves God, this one is known by him.—1 Cor. 8:3.

Some who have much love for Jehovah find it challenging to believe that God can know them in a positive way. Some have feelings of worthlessness, so they question the idea of belonging to Jehovah. How glad we can be, though, that God can see us from a different perspective! (1 Sam. 16:7) Your love for God is an important prerequisite for being known by him. Consider: Why are you reading this publication? Why are you striving to serve Jehovah with your whole heart, soul, mind, and strength? If you are dedicated to God and baptized, what led you to take those steps? The Bible explains that Jehovah, who examines hearts, draws desirable ones. (Hag. 2:7; John 6:44) Therefore, you can conclude that you are serving Jehovah because he drew you. He will never leave the ones whom he has drawn if they remain faithful. God views them as very precious, and he loves them dearly.—Ps. 94:14. w11 9/15 5:3

I went back and read the whole article WT 11/  9-15  this was taken from and it really reenforced in my mind that we come to know Jehovah only because of our humility and love for him.  The world confuses love with so many other things--fleeting lust to be one of the main ones.  Love actually comes from intimacy of knowledge and shared values.  Support.  So much to learn about this wonderful thing called love!  Jehovah recognizes us because of our love for him.

LeslieDean

Wednesday, June 26

Do not forget the doing of good.—Heb. 13:16.

One of the most obvious ways in which we as Christians do good things for others is through “the public declaration of our hope.” Do you seize every opportunity to give a witness? Paul called this essential Christian activity “a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of lips which make public declaration to [God’s] name.” (Heb. 10:23; 13:15; Hos. 14:2) Much could be said about the quantity and quality of the time that we spend preaching the good news of the Kingdom, and many Service Meeting parts are designed to stimulate our thinking on this matter. Briefly stated, however, since our field service and informal witnessing activities are “a sacrifice of praise,” a part of our worship, that sacrifice should be of the very best that we can offer. While circumstances vary, the amount of time that we devote to announcing the good news often reflects our appreciation for spiritual things. w12 1/15 4:9, 10