JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It always amazes me that, after 400 years of slavery and crying out to Jehovah, and seeing all the miracles they did, that they could want to go back to Egypt so soon after their deliverance. <sigh>

YEP! It really makes you wonder how we will do - especially those first couple of years after Armageddon.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

YEP! It really makes you wonder how we will do - especially those first couple of years after Armageddon.

I thought about that, too, Jerry!  I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but human nature, being what it is, makes you wonder!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

So while I can't tell you what is coming, I can share with you something I read today that really gave me a lot of hope for the up and coming trials we'll face.   

And what about the 144,000 spiritual underpriests, who “will be priests of God and of the Christ . . . for the thousand years”? (Revelation 20:6) Well, God foreordained them “to be patterned after the image of his Son.” (Romans 8:29) They also have been born and grown up as men and women, as humans, but sinful, imperfect, badly disposed because of inheritance from rebellious Adam and Eve. They know therefore what it means to be a weak sinful human creature. So, too, like their High Priest Jesus Christ, they can be sympathetic and kindly disposed toward sinful, dying mankind. They were that way when yet on earth as spiritual underpriests. They will be just the same way when they share in the “first resurrection” and become heavenly underpriests. They will not have to die and regretfully leave their work uncompleted. No, but by having the “power of an indestructible life,” they can join and keep up with their High Priest in carrying on the sin-removing work to a perfect completion. With what result? All the willing ones of mankind restored to sinless human perfection

Adam and Eve didn't have this provision, they were perfect yes, they had access to Jehovah yes, BUT Satan was still around to mislead them.  

I think we'll fare better than the Israelites, because the teaching will be different, the interaction between the heavenly family and earthly family will likely be different too.   Most of Jehovah's people are already willfully submitting themselves to Jehovah's authority, they are already proving Satan to be a liar.  They are already resisting many of their inborn tendencies to hopefully show themselves approved in front of Jehovah.

They aren't falling back to worshipping false gods, they are trying diligently to do as he asks, we've got his laws written on our hearts, and we're trying so desperately to keep doing his will even though we've never seen first hand the things the Israelite's did.  We've only heard, and put faith in Christ.  

I'm not saying we don't have our down points, or that we won't ever need work, but I think we're better off because we've never seen these miracles, and yet we still have faith.

I think those on the earth will actually see Jesus, and possibly his underpriests, when it is necessary.  No more of the formless voice from the bush type of deal.  (Again this is speculation) but seems reasonable to me to think  because of the the following:

After Jesus’ resurrection he appeared in different bodies. Mary mistook him for the gardener. (Joh 20:14, 15) He again appeared, entering a room with locked doors, having a body with wound marks. (Joh 20:24-29) Several times he manifested himself and was recognized, not by his appearance, but by his words and actions. (Lu 24:15, 16, 30, 31, 36-45; Mt 28:16-18) Once a miracle performed at his direction opened his disciples’ eyes to his identity. (Joh 21:4-7, 12) Jesus, having been resurrected as a spirit (1Pe 3:18), could materialize a body for the occasion as the angels did in past times, when they appeared as messengers. (Ge 18:2; 19:1, 12; Jos 5:13, 14; Jg 13:3, 6; Heb 13:2) 

ka 86-113

Wednesday, July 24

There is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.—Acts 24:15.

We enjoy a close personal relationship with Jehovah as we imitate his ways, and we contribute to the peaceful unity of our spiritual paradise. Pursuing peace inside the congregation also helps us to see ways in which we can pursue peace with those to whom we preach “the good news of peace.” (Eph. 6:15) We are better prepared ‘to be gentle toward all, keeping ourselves restrained under evil.’ (2 Tim. 2:24) Remember, too, the words of today’s text. When that hope becomes a reality here on earth, millions of people with varying backgrounds, temperaments, and personalities will be brought back to life—and that from times stretching all the way back to “the founding of the world”! (Luke 11:50, 51) Teaching resurrected ones the ways of peace will indeed be a great privilege. What a tremendous help the training we now receive as peacemakers will be to us at that time! w11 8/15 4:18, 19

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/24

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

And, I loved the point brought out at last nights TMS on this scripture:  w12 3/15 p 11 par 8 Help People "Awake From Sleep":  QUOTE: "It would be a mistake for a Christian to reason that vigorous preaching is unnecessary because of "there will be a resurrection of both the righteous/unrighteous".  We understand from the Bible that those who are judged as "goats" will go "into everlasting cutting-off".  Our preaching expresses God's mercy, opening the way for people to change and to get everlasting life.  If we did not preach, how would people have the opportunity to hear the message that can mean life?" UNQUOTE

I know how my circumstances change each day, as does everyone's, but for a person to finally, actually, understand that Jehovah promises something better and they can benefit from that by learning about him is a wonderful thing so see!  It is so simple for us to see but so many are truly blinded - and they like it that way.  How sad.  One of our COs commented "soon billions of hearts will stop beating" - so our preaching is very important.

Hi Sorry for blundering along, but this is how we learn.

Nice text this morning/

We are an amature radio operator and get on the radio in the mornings when we can, the frequency is 7.242. and we usually have about 20 on , all the way from Florida to Texas to the great lakes to New Brunswick Canada. It is also broad cast on the internet for those that do not have radios. The picture at the left is the rig we use . We also have 3 non witnesses that keep coming back when they can and give comments. Jehovah is tugging at the heart strings.

Ross

Thursday, July 25

Taste and see that Jehovah is good, O you people; happy is the able-bodied man that takes refuge in him.—Ps. 34:8.

Developing strong faith requires more than reading and hearing about how others have experienced Jehovah’s blessing. A Bible student also needs to experience Jehovah’s goodness personally. How can we assist the student to see that Jehovah is good? Suppose a student who has financial worries is also trying to overcome a bad habit, such as smoking, gambling, or heavy drinking. (Prov. 23:20, 21; 2 Cor. 7:1; 1 Tim. 6:10) Would not teaching the student to pray for God’s assistance in overcoming a bad habit help him to experience Jehovah’s goodness? Consider also what can happen when we encourage the student to give priority to spiritual things by making time for weekly Bible study and preparing for and attending Christian meetings. Why, as he personally experiences Jehovah’s blessing on his efforts, his faith will grow stronger! w11 11/15 4:8

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/25

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, July 26

Beloved ones, by building up yourselves on your most holy faith, and praying with holy spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love.—Jude 20, 21.

Once Jehovah has drawn us, we should be concerned with remaining in his love. Remember, the Bible shows that it is possible to drift away or draw away from God. (Heb. 2:1; 3:12, 13) For example, just prior to the statement found at 2 Timothy 2:19, the apostle Paul mentioned Hymenaeus and Philetus. Those two men had evidently belonged to Jehovah at one point, but they later deviated from the truth. (2 Tim. 2:16-18) Recall, too, that in the Galatian congregations, some who had been known by God did not remain in the spiritual light they once enjoyed. (Gal. 4:9) May we never take for granted our precious standing with God. Moreover, there are some qualities that Jehovah especially values. (Ps. 15:1-5; 1 Pet. 3:4) Outstandingly, faith and humility distinguished some who were known by God. w11 9/15 5:4, 5

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/26

This is a good reminder about how to handle bible students. It's not just about reading the publication with them, it's also about getting them to adjust their lives in accordance to the bible. That means giving up useless habits, getting them to the meetings, encouraging them to sing and comment, these are all things we should encourage our students to do as teachers.

Wow this was a hard one to read. A friend of mine is facing discipline soon so this one hit me quite a bit. But it does show that anyone could stray away from the truth, so we need to make sure we are active in our ministry, our personal studies, and our prayer to make sure we don't stray. Also attending the meetings to gain that encouragement from brothers and sisters.

Jehovah draws us in to Him, but we have a responsibility to keep ourselves in His love. It is something to cherish and never be taken for granted. Our very lives depend on remaining in His favor and as Natasha said, we need to make sure we are active in our ministry, our personal studies, and our prayer to make sure we don't stray.

Saturday, July 27

All the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that . . . we might have hope.—Rom. 15:4.

Knowing the truth about God’s purposes and having a genuine hope for the future will certainly provide great comfort. Jesus set us a fine example by using the Scriptures to instruct and comfort others. During one of his postresurrection appearances, for instance, he ‘fully opened up the Scriptures’ to two of his disciples. As he spoke to them, their hearts were deeply touched. (Luke 24:32) In keeping with Jesus’ excellent example, the apostle Paul ‘reasoned from the Scriptures.’ In Beroea, his listeners “received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily.” (Acts 17:2, 10, 11) How appropriate it is that we read the Bible daily, benefiting from it and from Christian publications designed to bring us comfort and hope in these troublesome times! w11 10/15 4:13, 14

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/27

Sunday, July 28

[God], for the sake of his good pleasure, is acting within you in order for you both to will and to act.—Phil. 2:13.

What can help a brother who lacks the desire to take on responsibility in the congregation? The desire to serve is God-given, and Jehovah’s spirit can strengthen a person to render sacred service. (Phil. 4:13) Moreover, a Christian can pray that God will make him do what is right. (Ps. 25:4, 5) Jehovah blesses the efforts of older men to train others. His blessing is also experienced by those who respond and reach out for privileges in the congregation. The Scriptures assure us that among God’s people “seven shepherds, yes, eight dukes”—the required number of capable men—will be raised up to take the lead in Jehovah’s organization. (Mic. 5:5) What a blessing it is that so many Christian men are being trained and are humbly reaching out for privileges of service to Jehovah’s praise! w11 11/15 5:18, 19

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/28

Monday, July 29

Immediately the spirit impelled him to go into the wilderness.—Mark 1:12.

The Bible reports that as a human, Jesus experienced what a powerful force God’s holy spirit was in his life. He welcomed its influence, and when it impelled him, he yielded and acted accordingly. (Luke 4:14) Are you of that sort? God’s active force still operates on willing minds and hearts to move and guide them. How can you let it work upon you to lead you in the right direction? Pray constantly to Jehovah that he send you his spirit and help you yield to its influence. (Eph. 3:14-16) Work in harmony with your prayers by searching out the counsel found in God’s written Word, the Bible—a product of holy spirit. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) Obey the wise instructions it offers, and then respond eagerly to the leading of holy spirit. Act with faith in Jehovah’s ability to guide you properly through life in this wicked world. w11 12/15 2:18, 19

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/29

Tuesday, July 30

Salvation belongs to Jehovah. Your blessing is upon your people.—Ps. 3:8.

Although David has monumental problems because of Absalom’s treachery, he bears in mind Jehovah’s people in general and is confident that God will bless them. Should we not also keep our fellow believers in mind? Let us remember them in our prayers, asking Jehovah to give them his holy spirit so that they can muster up courage and can act with confidence in declaring the good news. (Eph. 6:17-20) Does David rejoice when he learns of Absalom’s death? No. Instead, he weeps and cries out: “O that I might have died . . . instead of you, Absalom my son, my son!” (2 Sam. 18:24-33) Only Joab’s words bring David out of his nearly overwhelming grief. What a tragic end for Absalom, whose blind ambition prompted him to fight against his own father—Jehovah’s anointed—and bring disaster upon himself!—2 Sam. 19:1-8; Prov. 12:21; 24:21, 22w11 5/15 5:11, 13

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/30

As true worshippers of Jehovah, we see the power of his Holy Spirit first hand through various activities we do. Preaching, studying, sometimes even talking. So we know how powerful the spirit is. So whenever it is compelling us to do something, we should submit and act on whatever it is. Just like Jesus did!

Wednesday, July 31

You should all speak in agreement.—1 Cor. 1:10.

By “devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles,” Jesus’ early followers helped to develop a spirit of unity within the congregation. (Acts 2:42) They valued the Scriptural counsel and direction received from the older men. Because present-day elders cooperate with the faithful and discreet slave class, all in the congregation are encouraged and assisted to remain united. When we submit to the Bible-based instruction from Jehovah’s organization and follow the direction of the elders, we give proof that we are “earnestly endeavoring to observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace.” (Eph. 4:3) By all means, then, let us work to preserve a healthy, positive spirit in the congregation. If we do so, we are assured that ‘the undeserved kindness of the Lord Jesus Christ will be with the spirit we show.’—Phil. 4:23w12 2/15 3:17, 18

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/7/31

I find that impelled is an interesting word choice.

The spirit can impel Jesus to go somewhere. It's not an order by words or message, but a strong feeling of direction.

Verb

Drive, force, or urge (someone) to do something.

Drive forward; propel: "vital energies impel him in unforeseen directions".

I feel as if the spirit impels me in my life direction and in preaching. And I listen.

This makes us so different that other so called Christian Religions. Unity of thought and beliefs. I love how unified we are.

Thursday, August 1

May my prayer be prepared as incense before you.—Ps. 141:2.

God expects us to desist from dead works and to study his Word, pray, and attend Christian meetings. And Christian family heads take the initiative in conducting family worship with the members of their own households. (1 Thess. 5:17; Heb. 10:24, 25) Think for a moment about your prayers—about their regularity and their quality. The book of Revelation likens “the prayers of the holy ones” to incense in that acceptable prayers rise to Jehovah like a sweet-smelling and pleasant odor. (Rev. 5:8) In ancient Israel, the incense that was regularly offered on Jehovah’s altar had to be carefully and precisely prepared. It was acceptable to Jehovah only if offered according to the guidelines that he had established. (Ex. 30:34-37; Lev. 10:1, 2) If our heartfelt prayers are similarly formulated, then we can be sure that they are acceptable to Jehovah. w12 1/15 4:11, 12

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/1

Friday, August 2

Make the calling and choosing of you sure.—2 Pet. 1:10.

Like the priests and Levites of old, anointed ones today view their service as a privilege. (Num. 18:20) The anointed do not expect to be given some territory or location on earth as a possession. Instead, they look forward to being kings and priests in heaven with Jesus Christ. While on earth, anointed ones live in a way that gives evidence that Jehovah is their share. (Ps. 142:5) Their privilege of serving God is of primary importance to them. They exercise faith in Christ’s ransom sacrifice and follow him continually, thus ‘making their calling and choosing sure.’ Their individual circumstances and abilities differ. Yet, they do not use any limitations as an excuse to do only a small amount in God’s service. On the contrary, they give high priority to God’s service, doing all they can. And they set a good example for those who hope to live on a paradise earth.w11 9/15 2:3, 4

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/8/2