Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thursday, June 27

[God] comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation.—2 Cor. 1:4.

A very important means of being comforted is to be present at Christian meetings, where Bible discussions encourage us. We read that Judas and Silas “encouraged the brothers with many a discourse and strengthened them.” (Acts 15:32) Before and after our meetings, there is upbuilding conversation between members of the congregation. So even if we are suffering because of some distressing situation, let us not isolate ourselves, for doing so will not improve matters. (Prov. 18:1) Instead, we do well to follow the apostle Paul’s inspired counsel: “Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you behold the day drawing near.”—Heb. 10:24, 25. w11 10/15 4:11, 12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Friday, June 28

Be training yourself with godly devotion as your aim.—1 Tim. 4:7.

The elders take the lead in training men to reach out. Although others can help and support him, the primary responsibility for reaching out rests with the man himself. (Gal. 6:5) Of course, a brother does not have to be a ministerial servant or an elder in order to help others and have a full share in the ministry. However, reaching out for privileges in the congregation does mean striving to meet the qualifications set out in the Scriptures. (1 Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Pet. 5:1-3) So if a man desires to serve as a ministerial servant or an elder but has not yet been appointed to be one, he should give attention to areas where he needs to make spiritual advancement. This calls for regular Bible reading, diligent personal study, serious meditation, heartfelt prayer, and zealous participation in the Christian ministry. w11 11/15 5:15, 16

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, June 29

Look! Jehovah’s slave girl! May it take place with me according to your declaration.—Luke 1:38.

In stating matters that way, Mary revealed a heart attitude that God had already noted. Her immediate response to the angel indicates that she was ready to accept God’s will concerning her. She did not raise any question about how people in the community would view her pregnancy or what possible effect it could have on her relationship with her fiancé. By referring to herself as the lowliest of servants, Mary showed that she trusted completely in Jehovah as her Master. Have you at times felt somewhat overwhelmed by challenges or responsibilities in God’s service? Each of us does well to ask himself: ‘Do I completely trust in Jehovah to work matters out in harmony with his will? Am I truly demonstrating a willing spirit?’ Be assured that God gives his spirit to those who trust in him with all their heart and recognize his sovereign will.—Acts 5:32. w11 12/15 4:3, 4

Sunday, June 30

"You yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." - Ex. 19:6.

Was Jehovah’s promise that the Israelites could furnish “a kingdom of priests” an empty one? Not at all. If they sincerely tried to obey, they would have this opportunity—but not under the Law. Why not? (Gal. 3:19-25) For those who faithfully endeavored to observe it, the Law had the effect of preserving pure worship. It made the Jews aware of their transgressions and of the need for a sacrifice greater than their high priest could offer. It was a tutor that would lead them to the Christ, or Messiah, titles that mean “Anointed One.” However, when the Messiah arrived, he would introduce the new covenant foretold by Jeremiah. Those who accepted the Christ were invited to become party to the new covenant and would actually become “a kingdom of priests.” w12 1/15 5:5, 10

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Monday, July 1

"Safeguard your heart." - Prov. 4:23.

Not all unbelieving spouses, children, parents, or other relatives embrace true worship, even after years of faithful conduct and tactful witnessing on the part of the believer. Some remain indifferent or become unrelenting opposers. (Matt. 10:35-37) However, displaying godly traits can have a very good effect. A former unbelieving husband states: “When the believing mate starts to let those lovely qualities shine, you do not know what is going on in the unbeliever’s mind and heart. So don’t ever give up on your unbelieving mate.” Even if a family member remains an unbeliever, happiness is possible for the believer. Although her husband has not responded to the Kingdom message after 21 years of effort on her part, one sister says: “Immersing myself in spiritual activities—personal study, meeting attendance, the field ministry, and helping others in the congregation—has drawn me closer to Jehovah and has safeguarded my heart.” w12 2/15 4:15, 16

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Do you remember the DC we had based on that scripture. I like especially the talk: Why Must We Safeguard Our Heart?

The points were:

(1) OUR HEART IS INCLINED TO WHAT IS BAD.

Illustration: Our heart is like an automobile that keeps veering toward one side of the road or the other. How dangerous it would be to take your hands off the steering wheel, even momentarily!

(2) OUR HEART IS TREACHEROUS.

Illustration: Imagine guarding a criminal who not only prefers to be free (his inclination) but is desperate and devious in his efforts to escape custody. How vigilant would the guard have to be?

(3) SAFEGUARDING OUR HEART RESULTS IN THE BEST WAY OF LIFE NOW.

Like a tree that has luxuriant foliage and that continues to produce fruit even in drought.

(4) THE CONDITION OF OUR HEART CAN AFFECT WHETHER WE GAIN EVERLASTING LIFE OR NOT.

Not only does Jehovah see what is in our heart but he also rewards us according to what he sees.

(5) WE WANT TO PLEASE JEHOVAH.

Illustration: If you received a gift from someone and later found out that he had an ulterior motive for giving you the gift, how would you feel? We must do the right thing for the right reason, or motive.

Thanks.

Jehovah is not just willing to reward his faithful servants—he is eager to do so.

Tuesday, July 2

He slaved with me in furtherance of the good news.—Phil. 2:22.

You young brothers can make yourselves available to older ones in the congregation, offering to assist them in any way possible. You can also show an interest in the appearance of the Kingdom Hall, helping to keep it clean and neat. When you offer to help out in any way you can, your willing spirit gives evidence that you are serious about your ministry. Like Timothy, you can learn to care genuinely for the needs of the congregation. (Phil. 2:19-21) Elders, be conscious of putting to work young brothers who are endeavoring to “flee from the desires incidental to youth” and who are pursuing “righteousness, faith, love, peace,” along with other serious traits. (2 Tim. 2:22) By assigning them things to do in the congregation, they can be “tested as to fitness” to shoulder responsibility, so that their “advancement may be manifest to all persons.”—1 Tim. 3:10; 4:15. w11 4/15 1:13, 14

Wednesday, July 3

Each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire.—Jas. 1:14.

Jesus’ example teaches us to be willing to suffer shame and not to put too much importance on our personal reputation. (Heb. 12:2) Also, when tempted by Satan, Jesus saw beyond the immediate temptation and considered the consequences of his actions. He relied on God’s Word and also used Jehovah’s name. When we are faced with temptations to do things that are displeasing to Jehovah, on what do we focus our attention? The more we focus on the temptation, the stronger that wrong desire will be. (Jas. 1:15) We need to take quick action to root out the desire, even if that action may seem as drastic as, in effect, removing a part of our body. (Matt. 5:29, 30) Like Jesus, we need to focus on the consequences of our actions—how they will affect our relationship with Jehovah. We must recall what his Word, the Bible, says. Only in this way can we prove that Jehovah is the most important Person in our life. w11 5/15 3:13-15

Thursday, July 4

None that rests his faith on [Jesus] will be disappointed.—Rom. 10:11.

We should definitely bear in mind this aspect of the good news as we carry out our Christian ministry. The basic message about Jesus may not be strange to those who are acquainted with what the Bible says about sin. For others, though, this message will be quite new, something not known or generally believed in their culture. As such ones come to believe in God and trust in the Scriptures, we will need to explain Jesus’ role. How rewarding it is to help honesthearted ones to understand the good news mentioned repeatedly in the book of Romans, the good news that “is, in fact, God’s power for salvation to everyone having faith.” (Rom. 1:16) Beyond our being thus rewarded, we will see others agree with the sentiment that Paul quoted at Romans 10:15: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”—Isa. 52:7. w11 6/15 1:20, 21

Friday, July 5

Do not toil to gain riches.—Prov. 23:4.

Satan has seduced innumerable people into looking to material things to provide security. Money, possessions, and high-paying jobs may seem to deliver advantages. What do material things deliver, though, when health fails, when the economy crumbles, or when a natural disaster strikes? What do they deliver when people feel empty inside, in need of purpose, direction, and answers to life’s deeper questions? What relief can they deliver in the face of death? If we look to material things to fill spiritual needs, we will be disappointed. Material possessions do not deliver; they are unrealities. In the long run, they cannot even provide physical security, for they have no lasting effect on the present brevity of human life or the likelihood of sickness and death. (Prov. 23:5) How much more real, then, is our God, Jehovah! Only in a strong relationship with him can we find genuine security. w11 7/15 1:16

Saturday, July 6

Although [Jesus] had performed so many signs before them, they were not putting faith in him, so that the word of Isaiah the prophet was fulfilled.—John 12:37, 38.

Yes, despite all the good done by the Messiah, many people would not believe in him. (Isa. 53:1) Also, few put faith in the good news about Jesus, the Messiah, during the ministry of the apostle Paul. (Rom. 10:16, 17) The Scriptures foretold that the Messiah would be hated without cause. (Ps. 69:4) The apostle John quotes Jesus as saying: “They have both seen and hated me as well as my Father. But it is that the word written in their Law may be fulfilled, ‘They hated me without cause.’” (John 15:24, 25) The Gospel accounts prove that Jesus was hated, especially by the Jewish religious leaders. Moreover, Christ said: “The world has no reason to hate you, but it hates me, because I bear witness concerning it that its works are wicked.”—John 7:7. w11 8/15 1:16, 17

I always find it interesting of all the powerful works and miracles that Jesus gave in Chorazin and Bethsaida.. Not one is mentioned in the bible... What were the powerful works and miracles? .. What a waste when people refuse to listen..

It really shows how people can shut out Gods word.....

Matt 10:21 “Woe to you, Cho·ra´zin! Woe to you, Beth·sa´i·da! because if the powerful works had taken place in Tyre and Si´don that took place in YOU, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Sunday, July 7

Upon them be peace and mercy, even upon the Israel of God.—Gal. 6:16.

When you read the name Israel in the Bible, what comes to your mind? Do you think of Isaac’s son Jacob, who was renamed Israel? Or do you think of his descendants, the ancient nation of Israel? What of spiritual Israel? When Israel is referred to in a figurative sense, it usually applies to “the Israel of God,” the 144,000, who are anointed with holy spirit to become kings and priests in heaven. (Rev. 7:4; 21:12) But consider the special reference to Israel’s 12 tribes that is found at Matthew 19:28. Jesus said: “You who have followed me will also yourselves sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” In this verse, “the twelve tribes of Israel” are those who will be judged by Jesus’ anointed disciples and who are in line to receive eternal life in Paradise on earth. They will benefit from the priestly services of the 144,000. w11 9/15 2:1, 2

Monday, July 8

Do all things for God’s glory.—1 Cor. 10:31.

Before engaging in a form of recreation, we need to put it to the test. When it comes to quality, we want to know: ‘What does it include? Is it wholesome or debased?’ (Prov. 4:20-27) Regarding quantity, we want to find out: ‘How much time would I spend on it? Is the amount appropriate or not?’ (1 Tim. 4:8) And concerning company, we need to determine: ‘With whom will I share in entertainment? Are such companions good or bad?’ (Eccl. 9:18; 1 Cor. 15:33) If a form of entertainment fails to meet the Bible-based standards in any one of these three aspects, it does not pass the test. On the other hand, if we make sure that our leisure activities meet the Bible-based standards in all three aspects, our recreation will bring honor to Jehovah and benefits to us. (Ps. 119:33-35) So, then, when it comes to recreation, let us strive to do the right thing at the right time and with the right people. w11 10/15 1:16-18

Tuesday, July 9

I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.—Jer. 10:23.

On one occasion, the Philistines came up against Israel. David inquired of Jehovah and received a clear answer. God said: “Go up, for I shall without fail give the Philistines into your hands.” (2 Sam. 5:18, 19) Shortly thereafter, the Philistines once more came up against David. What would he do this time? He could have reasoned: ‘I have faced a similar situation before. Let me go up against God’s enemies, as I did then.’ Or would David seek Jehovah’s direction? David did not rely on his past experience. He again went to Jehovah in prayer. How glad he must have been that he did! The instructions he received this time were different. (2 Sam. 5:22, 23) When faced with a familiar situation or problem, we must exercise caution that we do not rely solely on past experience. w11 11/15 1:13

Haven't been knowledgeable about the fact dt we can not direct our own steps, we'll do well by immitating David's fine example. How? Seeking Jehovah's guidance in all matters by not relying on past experience rather we want 2 approach Jehovah in prayer and follow His given direction since It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.—Jer. 10:23.

How can we expect Jehovah's help if we haven't gone to him in prayer when we are facing a problem.

Wednesday, July 10

Peter was being kept in the prison.—Acts 12:5.

Picture what happened: Suddenly, a bright light filled Peter’s cell. An angel stood there, evidently unseen by the guards, and urgently woke Peter up. And those chains binding his hands simply fell off! The angel then led Peter out of the cell, right by the guards stationed outside, and through the massive iron gate, which opened “of its own accord.” (Acts 12:10) Once they were outside the prison, the angel vanished. Peter was free! Of course, we do not expect Jehovah to deliver us miraculously at this time. However, we have full faith that he uses his power in behalf of his people today. (2 Chron. 16:9) By means of his powerful holy spirit, he can make us equal to any trial we may face. (2 Cor. 4:7; 2 Pet. 2:9) And Jehovah will soon empower his Son to free countless millions from that most unyielding of prisons, death. (John 5:28, 29) Our faith in God’s promises can give us tremendous courage when we face trials today. w12 1/15 2:13, 15, 16

I like Peter's humility..he did not presumptously expect Jehovah to release him..even while being freed he thought he was dreaming so to speak! On the other hand Peter..looking back..must have realized that nothing is impossible for Jehovah to meet challenges we face...what affection he must have felt for the brothers and sisters who prayed for him...how faith strengthening to face what circumstances he was to face in the future!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I have a question about this text.  It makes me think of when Paul was freed and he did not leave (why? because the jailer would be held accountable?) then the jailer became a worshiper.  What makes these two have different results?  Was it the fact that the angel "led" Peter?  I think I would have thought if I were Paul that Jehovah was providing me with this opportunity...please help me understand or show me how to research this myself....Thanks

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!