JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2013

Monday, September 2

How long, O Jehovah, must I cry for help, and you do not hear?—Hab. 1:2.

We may at times feel like the prophet Habakkuk, who cried out to Jehovah for justice, not understanding why Jehovah had allowed certain unfair things to happen. (Hab. 1:3) How important it is for us to imitate the faith of that prophet, who said: “Yet, as for me, I will exult in Jehovah himself; I will be joyful in the God of my salvation.” (Hab. 3:18) Like Jeremiah of old, if we keep “a waiting attitude” with full faith in Jehovah, the God of justice, we can be confident that all things will be rectified at the right time. (Lam. 3:19-24) We live in exciting times. Wonderful events are happening now and more lie just ahead. May each one of us keep pace with Jehovah’s organization. Let us heed the Scriptural counsel to look forward and not to look at the things behind. We will thereby prove that we do “remember the wife of Lot”!—Luke 17:32w12 3/15 4:19, 20

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/2

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tuesday, September 3

Keep ready.—Luke 12:40.

To be in a state of readiness for Christ’s coming, families must be careful not to get sidetracked from matters pertaining to true worship. They need to be on guard against being turned aside by distractions. Consider what Jesus said about keeping our eye “simple.” (Matt. 6:22, 23) Just as a lamp can illuminate our path and allow us to walk without falling, what we take in through our figurative ‘eyes of the heart’ can enlighten us, helping us to conduct ourselves without stumbling. (Eph. 1:18) For a literal eye to see clearly, it must function properly and be able to focus on what it is looking at. It is no different with the eyes of the heart. Having a simple figurative eye means that we are single-minded in purpose. Rather than leading a life that is centered on material things and being consumed with taking care of only the physical needs of the family, we keep our eye focused on spiritual matters.—Matt. 6:33w11 5/15 2:3, 4

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/3

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

“Stay Awake” and “Keep Ready”

18 The deteriorating world conditions that mark our day leave no doubt that since 1914, Satan’s wicked world has entered its last days. The storm clouds of Armageddon cannot be far-off.Soon it will be time for the Son of man to come to execute Jehovah’s judgment on the ungodly. (Ps. 37:10; Prov. 2:21, 22) Should not that awareness affect you and your family?

19 While the people of this world may reach out for riches, fame, or power

Is your family pursuing spiritual goals?

Is the arrangement for a Family Worship evening or a time for personal study working for you?

Are you achieving the intended objectives?

love this last paragraphs

Edited by raq

Wednesday, September 4

There will also be false teachers among you.—2 Pet. 2:1.

How do false teachers operate? Their methods reveal a cunning spirit. Apostates “quietly bring in” corruptive ideas. Like smugglers, they operate in a clandestine manner, subtly introducing apostate views. And just as a clever forger tries to pass phony documents, so apostates use “counterfeit words,” or false arguments, trying to pass their fabricated views as if they were true. They spread “deceptive teachings,” “twisting . . . the Scriptures” to fit their own ideas. (2 Pet. 2:1, 3, 13; 3:16) Clearly, apostates do not have our best interests at heart. Following them would only divert us from the road that leads to eternal life. How can we protect ourselves? The Bible’s counsel regarding how to deal with them is clear. (Rom. 16:17; 2 John 9-11) “Avoid them,” says God’s Word. Other translations render that phrase “turn away from them,” “keep away from them,” and “stay away from them!” w11 7/15 2:5, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/4

Very true !

Melting Truth and Mistake is the best way to fool people... If as an evolutionnist, I believe in this theory, maybe I'll study mutations for example, and I will say that this is a proof of evolution, or evolution uses mutations. Actually, mutation is a real phenomenon, but evolution is just a theory.

Another example is given in the Bible (Job 4:17)

Here, Eliphaz saw a spirit who told him :

17 ‘Mortal man—can he be more just than God himself?

Or can able-bodied man be cleaner than his own Maker?’

And in this very case, this is true, but his following sentence is obviously a wrong teaching :
18 Look! In his servants he has no faith,
And his messengers he charges with faultiness.

The demon use a truth to create confidence, and to give a wrong teaching just after, but because you are confident, you will believe it.

This is interesting to see that Jehovah Himself wants us to be far from the apostates. And He forfade his people to practice spiritism or other things creating a contact with apostates.

Edited by Flow

"O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!"

- Romans 11:33 -

Thursday, September 5

God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.—Rom. 5:8.

Think of one fact there mentioned: “We were yet sinners.” All need to know how that came to be so. Paul outlined the matter, starting with this point: “Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.” (Rom. 5:12) We are in a position to understand this because God had a record made of how human life began. Jehovah created two humans, Adam and Eve. The Creator is perfect, and so were those first humans, our ancestors. God gave them but one limiting directive and informed them that disobeying that law would bring a death sentence. (Gen. 2:17) However, they chose to act ruinously, violating God’s reasonable directive, thus rejecting him as Lawgiver and Sovereign.—Deut. 32:4, 5w116/15 2:4, 5

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/5

Friday, September 6

Violent witnesses rise up; what I have not known they ask me.—Ps. 35:11.

True to this prophecy, “the chief priests and the entire Sanhedrin were looking for false witness against Jesus in order to put him to death.” (Matt. 26:59) In fact, “many, indeed, were giving false witness against him, but their testimonies were not in agreement.” (Mark 14:56) Lying testimony mattered little to Jesus’ rabid enemies, who sought his death. At dawn on Nisan 14, the entire Sanhedrin met, had Jesus bound, and handed him over to Roman Governor Pontius Pilate. He questioned Jesus and found him guilty of nothing at all. When Pilate offered to release Jesus, however, the crowd shouted: “Impale him!” and called for the freeing of the criminal Barabbas. Wishing to satisfy the throng, Pilate released Barabbas, had Jesus whipped, and handed him over to be impaled.—Mark 15:1-15w11 8/15 2:8, 9

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/6

Friday, September 6

Violent witnesses rise up; what I have not known they ask me.—Ps. 35:11.

True to this prophecy, “the chief priests and the entire Sanhedrin were looking for false witness against Jesus in order to put him to death.” (Matt. 26:59) In fact, “many, indeed, were giving false witness against him, but their testimonies were not in agreement.” (Mark 14:56) Lying testimony mattered little to Jesus’ rabid enemies, who sought his death. At dawn on Nisan 14, the entire Sanhedrin met, had Jesus bound, and handed him over to Roman Governor Pontius Pilate. He questioned Jesus and found him guilty of nothing at all. When Pilate offered to release Jesus, however, the crowd shouted: “Impale him!” and called for the freeing of the criminal Barabbas. Wishing to satisfy the throng, Pilate released Barabbas, had Jesus whipped, and handed him over to be impaled.—Mark 15:1-15w11 8/15 2:8, 9

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/6

Sunday, September 8

Trust in Jehovah . . . and do not lean upon your own understanding.—Prov. 3:5.

It is not easy to resist temptation or overcome bad habits. “The flesh is against the spirit in its desire,” wrote the apostle Paul, “and the spirit against the flesh.” Therefore, “the very things that [we] would like to do [we] do not do.” (Gal. 5:17) To meet this challenge, we need to pray fervently when wrong thoughts or temptations first come to mind and then act in harmony with our prayers. “No temptation has taken you except what is common to men,” and with Jehovah’s help, we can remain faithful to him. (1 Cor. 10:13) Whether we are dealing with a difficult situation, making a weighty decision, or trying to resist temptation, Jehovah has given us a wonderful gift—the precious provision of prayer. By means of it, we demonstrate our reliance on him. We should also keep on asking God for his holy spirit, which guides and strengthens us. (Luke 11:9-13) And by all means, let us trust in Jehovah and not lean upon our own understanding. w11 11/15 1:18, 19

Monday, September 9

Each one has his own gift from God.—1 Cor. 7:7.

Like Jewish society in the first century, many cultures today emphasize marriage as being most desirable. If a young man or woman passes a certain age without getting married, concerned friends and relatives may feel impelled to give him or her some advice. In conversation, they may suggest that he or she search more actively for a mate. They may drop hints about an eligible member of the opposite sex. They may even use cunning to get two unmarried people to meet. These actions sometimes lead to embarrassment, broken friendships, and hurt feelings. Paul never pressured others either to marry or to remain single. He was content to serve Jehovah without a wife, but he respected the right of others to enjoy marriage. Individual Christians today also have the right to decide for themselves whether to get married or to stay single. Others should not pressure them to take one course or another. w11 10/15 2:3, 4

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/9

Tuesday, September 10

All the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction.—Rom. 15:4.

Those written things include many good examples, men and women of outstanding faith. (Heb. 11:32-34) We can and should benefit from the good examples found in the Scriptures, following or imitating what is presented in those fine Biblical accounts. Certain Bible accounts, however, include warning examples. We can find some of those in the lives of men and women whom Jehovah at one point accepted and used as his servants. As we read the Bible, we can note where and how some of God’s people went astray and thus became warning examples. We can discern that some gradually developed wrong attitudes or tendencies, which eventually produced sad consequences. How can we draw lessons from such accounts? We may want to ask ourselves such questions as: ‘How did that develop? Might such a trend develop in my case? What can I do to avoid that and instead to benefit from this warning example?’ w11 12/15 1:19, 20

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/10

Wednesday, September 11

Your word is truth.—John 17:17.

Try as they might, enemies of Bible truth have been unable to prevent its spread. “The word of God is not bound,” says 2 Timothy 2:9. In 1870 a group of sincere Bible students began searching for the truth. Their method of study? Someone would raise a question. They would discuss it. They would look up all related scriptures on the point, and then, when they were satisfied with the harmony of these texts, they would finally state their conclusion and make a record of it. Does it not reassure you to know that like the apostles and older men of the first century, those faithful men, our “spiritual ancestors” of the late 1800’s, were determined to align their beliefs solidly with God’s Word? Since everyone who desires to gain God’s approval must walk in the truth, may all of us continually strive to be guided by God’s Word. w12 1/15 1:18, 19

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/11

This made a huge impact on me when I began to study. I did not know it was possible to always be truthful. My father was a tyrant and could change from fun loving to mean and cruel with the blink of an eye. You start when you are little telling lies because it is too hard to face the truth. The truth of what your home life is really like. You lie to yourself and say its not so bad. Every family is like this. Pretty soon you don't know how to tell the truth or what it even is. Then I married an alcoholic and the lies became worse. Constant lies where I couldn't even sort them all out.

When I found out that Satan was the father of the lie and we are suppose to imitate our father---I knew it had to STOP! I already had one father I did not want to be like so I never wanted to be like the Father of the lie.

I can never explain how freeing it is to quit lying. No stories to try and keep straight. No who did I tell what to. Just pure, unadulterated truth. I learned just how truthful and beautiful a god Jehovah truly is and once again, the truth and meaning of the scripture "The truth will set you free".

That was one of the real lightbulb moments for me in learning the truth.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thursday, September 12

Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.—1 Tim. 4:16.

Like Jesus, we always need to be alert, watching for opportunities to share what we know about God’s Kingdom. Each such opportunity is precious, and we do not want to squander any. Lives are at stake! Jesus knew something else that led him to remain watchful. He knew that Satan was determined to tempt him, to persecute him, and to break his integrity. That vicious enemy was always watching for “another convenient time” to put Jesus to the test. (Luke 4:13) Jesus never let down his guard. He wanted to be ready for any test, be it temptation, opposition, or persecution. Cannot much the same be said about us? We know that Satan is still “like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.” That is why God’s Word exhorts all Christians: “Keep your senses, be watchful.”—1 Pet. 5:8w12 2/15 1:5, 6

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/12

Leslie, enjoyed your comments on todays text. Like you, I think there are many that have had a childhood that I wouldn't even call a childhood or even something that resembles a family. But speaking for myself I had a wonderful family, mom and dad that I knew loved me and were always the same, I never had to be in fear that they would at one minute be loving and kind and the next second be mean and cruel, never. I had a wonderful childhood growing up on the coast of California. We had the ocean on one side and hills with wild horses on the other. The only reason I mention this is because you said in your comments that "Every family is like this." I agree with you that unfortunately may families are so, so not family. But I guess I felt I owed it to my mom and dad to say that they were great, because they were. I would pick them again if I could.

As far as me in my childhood, yes I would find it convenient to lie when I was in trouble for something, and it seemed like I had a knack for finding trouble or should I say it found me. :)  Still does it seems like.

But I in no way want  to undermine the horrible childhood that so many have had. It hurts me terribly that some parents were mean and hurtful to their little children. I Live for the day when Jehovah will fix this.

Your Friend, Paul

Edited by paulc

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

Are your parents still alive? I think that is the highest compliment you can pay anyone-that you would pick them all over again! My mother was the very best mother anyone could have. She died at 53 from mesothelioma the same time Steve McQueen died from his. In fact, she lay in her bed in ICU watching his headlines after having been dx'ed with the same type cancer knowing this would shortly be her fate. Everyone in our family, all my cousins, loved my mom so much.! She was the most favorite out of all the aunts and was just so all out funny and truly kind. Hopefully you all will know personally someday!

I hope you always let your parents know how much they meant to you. Are they both still alive?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Friday, September 13

These words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart; and you must inculcate them in your son.—Deut. 6:6, 7.

A husband may provide materially for his family. But if he does not provide spiritual direction, he would be displaying a lack of discretion and wisdom. Thus, 1 Timothy 3:4says that if you are the head of a family and are reaching out for extra privileges in the congregation, you must be a man who is “presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having children in subjection with all seriousness.” In this regard, ask yourself, ‘Do I regularly set aside time for family worship in my household?’ Some Christian wives virtually have to beg their husbands to take the lead spiritually. Each husband should take a serious look at his own view of this responsibility. Of course, a Christian wife should be supporting the Family Worship arrangement and be cooperating with her husband to make it a success. w11 4/15 1:17

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/13

Saturday, September 14

This widow, although poor, dropped in more than they all did.—Luke 21:3.

Jesus, being perfect, could discern the unspoken indignation of a Pharisee, the sincere repentance of a sinful woman, and the self-sacrificing attitude of a widow. (Luke 7:37-50; 21:1-4) Thus, Jesus could respond to the spiritual need of each one. However, a servant of God does not have to be perfect to be a good observer. The apostle Paul illustrates that. He adapted his presentation so as to appeal to different groups and to people with varying attitudes. (Acts 17:22, 23, 34; 1 Cor. 9:19-23) By our striving to be alert and observant like Jesus and Paul, we can discern how best to awaken interest in those we meet. For example, as you approach individuals, look for clues that indicate their culture, interests, or family situation. Perhaps you can notice what they are doing at the moment and make a polite comment about it as you initiate a conversation. w12 3/15 1:10, 11

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/14

Sunday, September 15

We pronounce happy those who have endured. . . . Jehovah is very tender in affection and merciful.—Jas. 5:11.

At times, certain tests of our faith may be embarrassing. Still, we should have confidence like that of the apostle Paul, who said: “For this very cause I am also suffering these things, but I am not ashamed. For I know the one whom I have believed, and I am confident he is able to guard what I have laid up in trust with him until that day.” (2 Tim. 1:12) The Bible foretold that during our time people would be “lovers of themselves.” (2 Tim. 3:2) No wonder, then, that we are surrounded by a me-first generation. May we never be tainted by such a selfish attitude! Rather, whether we are faced with temptation, beset by tragedies, or confronted with efforts to shame us, let each one of us be determined to prove that Jehovah is indeed the most important Person in our life! w115/15 3:13, 20, 21

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/15

Monday, September 16

Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly.—1 Pet. 5:2.

What moves elders to serve their brothers willingly? Well, what moved Peter to shepherd and feed Jesus’ sheep? A key was his love and affection for the Lord. (John 21:15-17) Because of love, elders “live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them.” (2 Cor. 5:14, 15) This love, combined with their love for God and their brothers, compels elders to serve the flock, devoting their efforts, resources, and time to doing so. (Matt. 22:37-39) They give of themselves, not grudgingly, but willingly. To what extent should the elders give of themselves? In caring for the sheep, they imitate the apostle Paul, even as he imitated Jesus. (1 Cor. 11:1) Having tender affection for the Thessalonian brothers, Paul and his companions were well-pleased to impart to them ‘not only the good news of God but also their own souls.’—1 Thess. 2:8w11 6/15 3:11, 12

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/16

Tuesday, September 17

There remains a sabbath resting for the people of God. For the man that has entered into God’s rest has also himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.—Heb. 4:9, 10.

Likely with the observance of the weekly Sabbath under the Law in mind, Paul wrote the words above concerning the privilege of entering into Jehovah’s rest day. Those Hebrew Christians had to stop thinking that they could earn Jehovah’s approval by performing works based on the Mosaic Law. Since Pentecost 33 C.E., God’s favor has graciously been bestowed on those who exercise faith in Jesus Christ. What had prevented the Israelites in Moses’ day from entering the Promised Land? Disobedience. What was preventing some Christians in Paul’s day from entering into God’s rest? The same—disobedience. They failed to recognize that the Law had served its purpose and that Jehovah was leading his people in a different direction. w11 7/15 3:14, 15

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dt/r1/lp-e/2013/9/17