JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Internet security.

When I purchased my laptop it came with Norton security. Now its expired & I can't afford the purchase of it at the moment.

I may have a big Centerlink payment to pay back. etc,

So can anyone please recommend one that is free & has like the anti spyware etc.

Thanks friends. :flowers:

Hope y'all can stay warm.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I use Avira as my antivirus, Chrome as my browser (it warns of possible threats on sites), and Secunia PSI to keep me updated on other things that need updating (Java, Shockwave, etc.) so that those programs remain secure. All for free.

And I always keep malwarebytes on hand just because it saved me once when nothing else would remove a virus that I had.

I use Avira as my antivirus, Chrome as my browser (it warns of possible threats on sites), and Secunia PSI to keep me updated on other things that need updating (Java, Shockwave, etc.) so that those programs remain secure. All for free.

And I always keep malwarebytes on hand just because it saved me once when nothing else would remove a virus that I had.

I use AVG and had malwarebytes but malwarebytes said that there trial ended and I can't renew it without paying money. Is there a free version. 

I have paid for Norton and another one(can't think the name) but I had to shut them off everytime I wanted use my printer.

I recommend to my clients Eset's Nod32 anti-virus/spyware. It is not free but it is the one that most of the techs use and recommend, It has a very small "footprint" in that it is not a resource hog like many others (Norton and McAfee especially) 

You can get a free trial here: http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/

I find their anti-virus sufficient but they do have a complete "Internet security suite." 

Thank you all friends for the suggestions. I have tried a few different ones previously on my PCs.

I thought I would check yours out Musky.

I noticed several times whilst invoicing it would pick up the tubesaver. I thought I had got rid of it after my last post on the subject. I liked how it cleaned up after.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hi Sister Gabe, don't know of any good free ones, but we've used Zone Alarm Professional for a long time and it is brilliant.   Works away in the background and updates without you having to do anything.    It costs about $A80 a year but I definitely recommend it.   Buying through the US (Checkpoint) is much cheaper than using their Oz website. 

Yes, Eset's Nod32 is rated very highly in tests.  Microsoft's antivirus scores very low, and MS have said that theirs is only a baseline AV.

You often find a trial version of Norton's or Mcafee AV bundled with new laptops or PCs, or the PC salesman pushes to sell one to you.  I use Kaspersky, it is very good, and i got it for free which is even better!

Yes, Eset's Nod32 is rated very highly in tests.  Microsoft's antivirus scores very low, and MS have said that theirs is only a baseline AV.

You often find a trial version of Norton's or Mcafee AV bundled with new laptops or PCs, or the PC salesman pushes to sell one to you.  I use Kaspersky, it is very good, and i got it for free which is even better!

I may end up trying yours later... I am tight budgeted at the moment. Last year was a ride of. I didn't put a tax return in for 2011. Always meant to, I moved & had surgery was tough, & then before the holidays I just put the return in. Then got a letter from Centrelink they pay me an allowance fortnightly.& I am waiting for the tax agents to say I don't own money, Centrelink say I owe 14,000 or so...& have reduced my payments further. I have to wait another 12days with the tax people.

So thanks Jonathan77..much appreciated.

It may not have been my first choice but the Norton Security Suite is provided FREE from our provider, so that is what I am currently using. I also use SUPER AntiSpyware and Spybot - Search and Destroy for frequent scans to get those pesky tracking cookies that Norton misses. I use Malwarebytes periodically for good measure.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I use Avast,

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus-2014/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol;1

along with Malwarebytes

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;1

and Glary utilities to tidy things up every now and again

http://download.cnet.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-2094_4-10508531.html

all totally free and hassle free.

Never had any problems.

If i was to pay for one then i would go with what chuck suggested (Eset, Nod 32)

However i kind of view paying for anti virus / firewalls a bit like buying bottled water.

Also i recommend you uninstall Norton with a proper uninstaller like IObit uninstaller

http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-75161625.html?tag=mncol;7

to tidy up any loose ends with your norton antivirus.

Edited by MentalProject

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."