JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Spicy food and chillies

I love spicy food! I have a bottle of habanero sauce and I use it a lot. My wife likes a bit of spice, but jalapeno and habanero is too much for her, a little sliced de-seeded red chili in a dish is about her big-enough.

I sometimes wonder why it is that hot spicy food - curries and hot chilies etc - come from places with a hot climate? My wife's father used to say that it was to mask the taste of the meat which wasn't always the freshest, but I suspect that this was more of a racial slur on his part than anything else.

I am going to try some Mexican food when I come back from holidays. An amateur chef who won the series Masterchef 10 years ago, Thomasina Meiers, has just opened the 11th branch of her restaurant chain in London (Wahaca) concentrating on Mexican food (and she has two mobile restaurants too serving Mexican street food).

How Mexicans can eat those little donkeys, burritos, though, I can't imagine.

Can anyone enlighhten me on Mexican food and other spicy delights? Recipes welcome BUT they must have few ingredients, no packets or branded ingredients (they don't always appear in UK supermarkets) and salsas and sauces must also be made from scratch.

Anyone up to the challenge?

This is one from the Wahaca website that looks good! Ignore references to hangovers!

This is a hot green salsa with eggs for anyone with a hangover! (Not that this would apply here!). It is also incredibly good for you, a properly healthy start to the day. If you are looking for a way to blow away some cobwebs then look no further. It’s very easy to make and only requires very basic ingredients and a few green chilles.

You can make it as hot or as mild as you wish, but the idea is to make it as hot as you can stand it! Also makes a good brunch.

Ingredients (serves 2)

For the eggs

5 free range eggs

1 small onion

2 table spoons of good frying oil

Salt to taste

For the salsa

3 to 5 green chilles

1 small clove of garlic

1 cup of water

Method

1. Seed the chilles and roast them with the chopped garlic. Remove any burnt skin and put them in a food processor with the water until chopped roughly.

2. Chop the onion. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Saute the onion and add the eggs; mix until scrambled.

post-166-0-42684000-1396017397.jpg

3. Add the green salsa to the egg and mix it gently. Bring it to to boil and add salt to taste.

Serve and eat with fresh bread, a roll or on a taco with a strong mug of coffee. Depending on the extent of your hangover, you may not even feel the heat!

post-166-0-93377000-1396017470.jpg

HatchChile Express (website). Pure red and green chile powder and dips which can be used for sauces, enchiladas, huevos rancheros, pinto beans and posole. Also they have their own cookbook full of recipes! Enjoy!

HatchChile Express (website). Pure red and green chile powder and dips which can be used for sauces, enchiladas, huevos rancheros, pinto beans and posole. Also they have their own cookbook full of recipes! Enjoy!

Thanks Deedee, but it is purely US site, I doubt they deliver to UK. :(   I can buy chillies here in UK, maybe not those specific ones, but that's why I asked for more generic recipes.

Dips and sauces - I want to hear how to make them from scratch with ingredients I can get here,   :chef:    I can buy ready-made sauces in UK.  Wahaca do their own range and there is a plethora of sauces available in our supermarkets.

Come on, deedee, and other sisters (and brothers) get your thinking caps on and give me spicy recipes!!  :D   The simpler the better.

Hree's another Wahaca one:

Frijoles Recipe

Chorizo-refried-beans-6001-445x445.jpg

We do two frijoles dishes at Wahaca – one with chorizo crumbled on top and the other with Lancashire cheese and sour cream… so feel free to adapt as you wish.

Serves 4

400g cooked black beans
½ red chilli
2 stems of coriander
At least 50g butter
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

To serve

Crumbled chorizo or grated Lancashire and sour cream

Method

Cook the onion in the butter until soft then add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Drain the beans reserving the cooking liquid. Add the cooked beans with a little of their cooking liquid and whiz in the food processor. Remove to a bowl and season to taste.

Allow to cool and serve with finely chopped shallots, a garnish of coriander and a crumbling of chorizo. It’s ideal with a bowl of torilla crisps and a cold beer.

That sounds easy and good.

Once you've had the Hatch chile you would know the chile makes the dish! You might be able to find a place that is willing to ship overseas. The red chile packages are get for the sauces. You say you love hot food, but I think you are afraid to eat the real stuff.

Ooh that's a real challenge, deedee.   Are you prepared to pay shipping to send them to me?  It seriously costs a fortune to get stuff from the states, when there are hot chilies available here.  Looks like another trip to Borough market is called for:

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/3034/The+Cool+Chile+Co/94

Looking at this site;

http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/hatch-green-chile/25lbs-medium

most of the Hatch chilies are mild to medium, certainly lower heat than jalapeno :wub:   and definitely less than habanero.  Only the piquin is seriously hot! 

I am beginning to doubt your palate, deedee!  :)

Southwest Cuisine or Mexican food is one of our favorites. A hot sauce we like is technically asian but everyone uses generically, Sriracha.

My favorite things to make are:  

Black beans and mexican rice - make rice normal but use canned mex tomatoes and measure the juice in the measure cup used for making rice so you don't add too much liquid and taco seasoning. I put it in a bowl, add a bit of cheese and eat. 

Burritos- chicken/pork/beef with mexican rice, black bean, cheese, lettuce, picante, dash of cilantro and sour cream rolled in warm tortilla.

Nacho Supreme- on a plate add items in this manner- chips, taco meat, cheese, chips, taco meat cheese, microwave, ad sour cream, chopped olives and salsa.

Soft taco's- warm tortilla, taco meat, cheese, lettuce, salsa. Fold in 1/2 and eat topped with hot sauce.

I make my own green salsa verde- it's incredible. The recipe comes from The Ball Complete Book Of Home Canning And Preserving page 210. I'll send the recipe if you can't find it. (oh I use tomatillo's instead of green tomato, which can be very expensive)

I also make my own taco sauce cause you can modify it to suit your taste. I love things a bit more tangy and hot where Lew likes it sweeter and milder. So the recipe can be found on page 282 of the above book.

It may be a good idea to buy this book, it has all the recipes for things people generally buy yet have all the stabilizers and additives. So you can make them without all the junk, and it's not hard in the least, it walks you through each recipe step by step. Here's a good place to look-

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13/189-2915529-3656436?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ball%20complete%20book%20of%20home%20preserving&sprefix=Ball+Complete%2Caps%2C370

Christopher, if you'd like to have recipes copied for you I could do that too.  

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

That sounds very good.  The book is expensive here, but I would be interested in a recipe if you wouldn't mind.  :)

I'm more interested in making a sauce etc just for that meal rather than in bulk for preserving, though.

I just want simple recipes with few ingredients, no additives or branded things (no cans etc all fresh foods) such as in the recipes I posted earlier.  And preferably recipes you use yourselves, or have used.  :) 

I fear I am not communicating what I want, but I don't know how to phrase it any differently.   Language barrier!!!   :huh:

A quick recipe with iron and vitamin c .soak beaten rice one cup in water.meanwhile take one onion and chop it in small pieces. Add 4/5 green chillies and get it in 2 spoons of oil.after the onion is done, drain the beaten rice and add it along with salt and a pinch of turmeric.Mix it well.then squeeze a lemon and serve hot.(can add potatoes during the onion along with cinnamon) decorate with coriander.

Sent from my Q800 using Tapatalk

I'll have to put a "care" package together for you. Brother I have lived all over the world (I was an Airforce wife for 18 years) so I have had care packages  shipped to me when I lived overseas in different countries and I have send packages. If there is a will there is a way!   

Christopher, the recipies are just recipies, you don'have to can them. And when I speak of

Salsa or such I'm meaning one you make yourself- onion, tomato, cilantro, chili's and garlic.

I agree with you, less packaged the better. And the mex. Tomatoes you can just cook lightly -tomato, green pepper, onion, garlic and A bit of cayenne. But I would be happy to copy off some mex inspired recipes, basic and delicious and affordable. PM me and I'll send them over.

And I think you're communicating just fine. I understand but sometimes leave things unsaid cause I think faster than I type!! Hunt and peck, hunt and peck!

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

How Mexicans can eat those little donkeys, burritos, though, I can't imagine.

A burrito is a rolled tortilla with filling post-2173-0-31910500-1396051967.jpeg

Burro is a term that is used in the Americas to describe a small donkey. post-2173-0-50684600-1396051975.jpeg

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I make a vegetarian burrito that is really good for any meal. I even take it for breakfast when I work. 

Taco shell, cooked and crushed black beans, mexican rice, cheddar/mozzarella mix, sunflower seeds, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. Serve with green or red taco sauce. 

Also I have a Taco Soup recipe that is loved by many in my Hall. It's lo-calorie/diet friendly and you get 2 cups per serving. If you'd  like the recipe I can give it to you, really easy.

Also I have a Taco Soup recipe that is loved by many in my Hall. It's lo-calorie/diet friendly and you get 2 cups per serving. If you'd like the recipe I can give it to you, really easy.

Yes please Cheryl and the calorie count in a serving please n thanks :)

Also I have a Taco Soup recipe that is loved by many in my Hall. It's lo-calorie/diet friendly and you get 2 cups per serving. If you'd like the recipe I can give it to you, really easy.

Yes please Cheryl and the calorie count in a serving please n thanks :)

OK, the recipes are wonderful and so flavorful despite being calorie friendly. I'll download into PDF so anyone can have them. 

OK, I copied a few recipes, I have made and eaten all of these, delicious. I made notations on the bottom of the pages where I made modifications. Please excuse my notes, I really use my canning book and try to make notes from year to year.

Oh I know one is upside down, it's because of the binding, I had to do that to make it fit the scanner!!

Recipes.pdf

Edited by bagwell1987

OK, I copied a few recipes, I have made and eaten all of these, delicious. I made notations on the bottom of the pages where I made modifications. Please excuse my notes, I really use my canning book and try to make notes from year to year.

Oh I know one is upside down, it's because of the binding, I had to do that to make it fit the scanner!!

attachicon.gifRecipes.pdf

I knew I loved you Cheryl when I got to the second line of the recipe and it read

'Sour cream, FULL FAT''

:-)

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Not spicy today, but today I made refried beans (with red kidney beans as I had them in the larder). With onion and garlic, and finished with yogurt and cheddar cheese, and sliced toast. It was very good.

I have to experiment more.

Btw, tomatillos are very expensive here in UK, so I think I'll have to pass on them.

Chris, can you grow them? Or is green tomato less expensive? If they are too much you can always use a less expensive red tomato and make the salsa with it. Adjustments are easy. 

A spanish sis here prepares her beans then when she refries them she uses bacon grease and onion. And it's outstanding. I've done this ever since. You can also get dehydrated refried beans.  

• 1 month later...

There was a thread on Mexican food a while back, I posted a recipe for entomatadas.

But you want spicy foods and salsas so I have to think a bit because I just make a basic salsa with blended tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, salt. Maybe some cilantro or diced onion. There are other salsas, some with cream added, but I'll have to ask about that. Mostly the foods themselves are not spicy, but the salsas can always be added to a food.

Are you able to get or make tortillas? Corn or flour?

What are some of the foods you have ordered at that Mexican restaurant? What's on their menu?

My husband has been making some good chiles rellenos lately. Few ingredients but tricky to make because you have to remove the skin of the chile (poblano).

I'll try to think of some more things you might like.

Mole, pozole, fish tacos...

green pozole is the best but red is ok too

once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing strips with plaid is easy. Einstein