JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Windows 8.1 Update 1 info - links

Some are not able to update automatically to windows 8.1 update 1. For you here is the info you need. KB2919442 is absolutely necessary to install update 1 KB2919355.

Please note -You Must download KB files for your operation system 32 bit ( x86 ) or 64 bit ( x64 )  Further updates will not work without these 1st two.

I would recommend downloading them to a separate folder on c:\   such as c:\downloads-c   Makes it easier to locate. Install one at a time.

Windows 8.1 update must be installed from c:\ drive and in the following orderonly 1st  & 2nd  are absolutely necessary. The others are feature packs.
1st  KB2919442
2nd KB2919355
3rd KB2932046
4th KB2937593
5th KB2938439
6th KB2934018

64 bit (x64)  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

32 bit (x86)  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42327

Start button menu delayed until update 2 ( or win 8.2 - whatever :blink: )

Thus here is link for IObit start menu  http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Indirect link for all 8.1 update 1 including RT  ( not the one I used )

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-update-1-released-now-available-for-download

Personally I switch to a non-live user ( called a local account ) after I have done all my updates. Less apt to get hacked through live login, plus things you may not want don't download.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Personally I switch to a non-live user ( called a local account ) after I have done all my updates. Less apt to get hacked through live login, plus things you may not want don't download.

How do you switch to a non-live user?  What are the pros and cons of this?

Under settings/ user setup new account -setup as local account  ( you can use help in setting up local account ).

The advantages to me, is that I am not connected to Microsoft all the time, nor to any webpage that uses your live login.

Thus you are less likely to get into trouble if the live login ( hotmail or outlook email address - which is your live login ) is hacked

or a website signs you up very fast- maybe including payments.

Using a local account, desktop mode with Iobit free start menu - it looks and acts like win 7, except it is faster.

Disadvantages - in win 8.x you have to signin to live account to install many apps -especially purchased ones.

Each account has its own settings - however I run my local account as an administrator

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: