JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

3 hours ago, Jwanon said:

So, uh..why isn't it public?

They would confuse more than help. Those publications were important at the time, but most of the information they contain is outdated.

Quite often when we discuss a subject here someone comes with a quotation from a Watchtower from the 1950s or 1960s that is completely obsolete. Imagine if we had all the publications going back to 1879. :)

On 10/21/2023 at 11:28 AM, Hinata said:

Many brothers seem to use Watchtowers or publications from older than 1980s, or even 1970s or even beyond just to support their opinions.

Not sure about this sort of comment, Are you suggesting "wrong" opinions as opposed to current refinements? It is great when we get articles tracing the development of thinking and even highlighting the fact that we were actually way ahead in times many years past. WE don't need to bring in old quotes unles they are in the outlines actually, although for personal study, context is always helpfull. Maybe you haven't been around that long?

2 hours ago, carlos said:

Imagine if we had all the publications going back to 1879

Well, probably many of us do!  😊 They are all easily available electronically and some of us might have hard copy as well. It is good to be careful with old publications of course, I mean the manna didn't last that long did it? (Exodus 16:20).

But on the other hand, I love reading the old material. I think I covered off everything since 1950 by 1981 and have been working my way through older material as and when I find time or when a subject interests me. There are wonderful articles and information there in the publications since 1919CE, all of which served as "food at the proper time". And there is plenty in earlier editions too. Some of the articles have historical significance. A wonderful insight into human nature and the activity of sincere Christians throught the last days.

Whenever I get guidance on matters from the branch, they usually refer to the most recent quote on an issue, even if it is rather "old".

But I would exercise caution if you have problems keeping up with current truth!

Edited by Eejay

On 10/22/2023 at 2:57 AM, Rodejong said:

And these are mine ☺ in my beloved library

I personally admire fellow witnesses who diligently collect, archive and maintain hardcopies. These aren't just a beloved library. These are our beloved spiritual heritage. 

Edited by Niel

8 hours ago, Eejay said:

Well, probably many of us do!  😊 They are all easily available electronically and some of us might have hard copy as well. It is good to be careful with old publications of course, I mean the manna didn't last that long did it?

Yes, absolutely. I think I did not express myself clearly. :innocent: I am all in favor of access to information. Having access to the old publications is great when you are researching our history or the development of our understanding, or to debunk lies told by opposers.

What I meant is that it would be confusing to have all those old publications on Watchtower Library or JW Library or WOL. The friends use those tools for their personal study or for daily life needs. Most of our brothers and sisters are not expert researchers. They type one subject and pick the first reference they find, without realizing it may be a completely obsolete article from sixty years ago. As I mentioned, we very often see here references to articles from the 50s or 60s when there are many recent articles with more up to date information. So the less outdated information we have on those basic tools, the better.

I’m so appreciative of the GB updates. They’re so useful and it shows that they really want us to know what the organization is doing. They can make major announcements without having to wait for conventions or annual meetings. And as we just saw, they can release new publications that way as well. I remember Brother Splane one time said in a convention talk in 2020 that the GB didn’t really know how useful JWB would be for the future. They just thought it would be used as an encouraging program every month.

They never imagined it would be used for virtual conventions and to provide updates as to what’s going on during the pandemic and after. He said they now see how and why Jehovah and Jesus guided them to create this arrangement and what a blessing it’s been for all of us. I have so much love for the GB for all the hard work and self sacrifices they do and make for us. 

Edited by MM9106

• 1 month later...

Please would you share the link to Making Sure of All Things with me.  I used to have the hard copy but no longer can find after nearly 60 years in the truth.  I even had a Bible with the publication bound in the back of my Bible by the Stoops Family (they were JWs owner of a JW binding and manufacturing company)  who used to do all kinds of binding for JWs.

13 minutes ago, Dimick777 said:

Please would you share the link to Making Sure of All Things with me.  I used to have the hard copy but no longer can find after nearly 60 years in the truth.  I even had a Bible with the publication bound in the back of my Bible by the Stoops Family (they were JWs owner of a JW binding and manufacturing company)  who used to do all kinds of binding for JWs.

Did you want the newer Turquoise colored one or the older Brown copy?

On 10/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, Rodejong said:

December

2023 Governing Body Update #8 Due this Friday 15th, according to...image.gif.b8b78380da07224b78c4071b18bcaa7d.gif

image.gif

Edited by Chris7

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."