JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

6 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

Do we still need the Reasoning Book?

It depends on what you mean by need I guess. As a book it is still a good resource for personal study and meditation in my opinion. The book is also not listed in the listed of items to be discarded for the literature servants.

On the other hand, our method of preaching has now changed drastically. Rather than to "reason" with the householder, we try to find those who are "disposed" for everlasting life. On that sense, it may be said it is not "needed" anymore.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Remember, the book is just shy of 40 years old (1985).  We have had 121 "clarifications of belief" (doctrinal changes) since it was published.  If you use it for reference, double-check the changes.  I generally don't quote Watchtowers or other references from the 1980s in my Public Talks.

Exactly. Many brothers seem to use Watchtowers or publications from older than 1980s, or even 1970s or even beyond just to support their opinions. However if some topic hasn't been said again the the last few years or so, I would be cautious in using it.

I would personally go even further and I wouldn't even use articles older than 2000s. That is the now recommended year listed in the "list of items to be discarded."

That year recommended by the branch has been constantly been updating very fast recently. Jehovah's chariot is moving very fast.

Edited by Hinata

• WilliamChew changed the title to 2023 Governing Body Update #7
47 minutes ago, Rodejong said:

And these are mine ☺ in my beloved library 📚 

Most are in Danish (D) and Dutch (O) and some in English.

20231021_205020.jpg

20231021_205312.jpg

Impressive library 😁

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

52 minutes ago, Rodejong said:

And these are mine ☺ in my beloved library 📚 

Most are in Danish (D) and Dutch (O) and some in English.

20231021_205020.jpg

20231021_205312.jpg

I would feel like a kid in a park in this library. (Except for the fact that I don't speak Danish or Dutch) Impressive collection!

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

On 10/20/2023 at 9:18 AM, Sete said:

The reasoning, in fact, came with reasoning to use in the preaching. This book can even be used in, but it is more for "personal uses".

Agree!  I make a point to review periodically the section of conversation “stoppers” before service. It helps me to focus on explaining topics using the scriptures. I wouldn’t recommend for those new to the truth because there indeed have been numerous clarifications and refining that those more mature will know straight away.  Still a very useful tool in my opinion.

On 10/21/2023 at 5:09 AM, Luigi62 said:

Do we still need the Reasoning Book?

On 10/21/2023 at 7:09 AM, Jwanon said:

I know I do

Yes, and No.

In the Revised Bearing Thorough Witness book, the Reasoning book has now been replaced by Bible Questions Answered in Chapter 4, paragraph 12:

image.png.1b3d58d66bde0acfb7b91f38fb168316.png

But reference to the Reasoning book remains in Chapter 27, paragraph 14

For other selected changes in the Bearing Thorough Witness book go here:

3 hours ago, JennyM said:

can the jw library app contain that?  or jw library? possible, isnt it?

It is important to remember that we do not have digital publications before 1970 except Watchtower study issues back to 1950.  So about 1/2 of what you see in the picture would not be available to include.  Could they digitalize older pubs...well, possibly but very unlikely.  Also, any publication before 2011 does not have pictures or charts or graphs printed in the digital version.  You have to have a printed copy to see that. 

Audio and video publications are formatted in a way that is not compatible with print directly.

So to ask if these publications COULD be in the JW Library...the answer is a "possibly. with a lot of work".  But in reality, not likely.  And we still wouldn't  have the pictures.

4 hours ago, JennyM said:

can the jw library app contain that?  or jw library? possible, isnt it?

Yes, in text format, it actually already does....

13 minutes ago, jwhess said:

So to ask if these publications COULD be in the JW Library...the answer is a "possibly. with a lot of work".  But in reality, not likely.

I understood from the comments below that all those older publications are already available in the Special Bethel Edition of the Watchtower Online Library  - see below:

On 8/1/2022 at 3:25 AM, James the Less said:

Their Bethel log-in provides them with access to the Bethel edition of Watchtower Online Library, which has digital publications going back to 1879, rather than 1950.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:28 AM, carlos said:

One of the times we visited Bethel our guide explained the friends who serve in translation use a more advanced edition of Watchtower Library which contains older publications as well as publications such as the elders' manual, the book for pioneer school and so on.... I can confirm there is a "Pro" edition of WTL.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:26 PM, trottigy said:

When we were in Bethel, the electronic library also had all of the talk outlines in it too.

Edited by Parale

1 hour ago, Jwanon said:

So, uh..why isn't it public?

Very old publications and some publications are still disputed by the group that broke away from WTB&TS.

The Bible Students group still claim to be the true descendants to Russell, and they claim as such these publications including the "Photo Drama of Creation" and the "Studies in the Scriptures" series etc.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

49 minutes ago, Rodejong said:

Very old publications and some publications are still disputed by the group that broke away from WTB&TS.

How 'disputed'? The publications exist. And no doubt various groups and people still actively use them, as does the current Governing Body. Do you mean dispute if they contain 'present truth' or copyright issues?

3 minutes ago, Parale said:

How 'disputed'? The publications exist. And no doubt various groups and people still actively use them, as does the current Governing Body. Do you mean dispute if they contain 'present truth' or copyright issues?

Copyright as well as claiming that we are the false prophets, etc.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3