JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I need some help with this. Showed a thread from here

It was the picture thread of our brothers from around the world. Its a beautiful thread and I wanted to share it. I put the address in an email and sent it to my friends. 2 of them sent back saying that they don't go to sites not sanctioned by the society. and don't send them anything else. 

I thought what a stick in the mud. I understand what the society has said "To exercise caution when visiting sites not made by the organization."

So whats the big deal about sharing pictures about our brothers and sisters? Or sharing the download of the convention program? I just don't get it. I won't be sending them anything else. I just bothered me so much that they would be so hard nosed about it. Can I have some encouragement on this?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Gregory, my second daughter is a reg. pioneer, serves in another language and has gone and served where the need is great but she too has looked down upon me for being on this site. 

some people's conscience just can't allow them to go to a witness site even though she does post pics on a site that is mainly witnesses. Just fear of the unknown I guess or fear that her mother is at this site. lol

Just remember, each of us has our own conscience and we don't want to impose ours on theirs or have them impose on us - just share some love :wub:

I totally understand how they feel. Perhaps they have had some bad experience. I just share now without discussing the source.

We're glad you found us. Enjoy my brother. :wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks guys. I will only be sending things to a few that I know appreciate it. Love to you all my friends. I will try and upload some pics in a day or two. I appreciate what you brothers have done here. A bunch.

Just remember, each of us has our own conscience and we don't want to impose ours on theirs or have them impose on us - just share some love :wub:

I totally understand how they feel. Perhaps they have had some bad experience. I just share now without discussing the source.

We're glad you found us. Enjoy my brother. :wink:

This here is the best advice.  Each of us carry our own load, and each of us on these boards are at different spots in our journey with Jehovah.  The site is heavily moderated, but the society is very clear about being cautious.  

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011602?q=internet&p=par

Do not become an "Internet Eve." Be critical and suspicious of the information. Before trusting it, ask: (1) Who published this material? What are the author’s credentials? (2) Why was this published? What motivated the writer? Is there any bias? (3) Where did the author get the information? Does he supply sources that can be checked? (4) Is the information current? In the first century, the apostle Paul gave Timothy advice that applies with equal force today. Paul wrote: “Guard what is laid up in trust with you, turning away from the empty speeches that violate what is holy and from the contradictions of the falsely called ‘knowledge.’”—1 Tim. 6:20.

At 1 Thessalonians 5:21, 22, we read: “Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine. Abstain from every form of wickedness.” We need to determine whether the information we find on the Internet is worthy of God’s approval, meeting his high standards. It should be morally unobjectionable and appropriate for a Christian.

So, then, what should we do with regard to the Internet? Shun it altogether? That may be necessary in some cases. The Internet junkie mentioned earlier did that in order to overcome years of addiction. On the other hand, using the Internet can benefit us, provided we let ‘thinking ability keep guard over us and discernment safeguard us.’—Prov. 2:10, 11.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008105?q=online&p=par

From the YPA2 Chapter 11, pages 99-104.

● Monitor the amount of time you spend online, and don’t let it rob you of time for more important things—including sleep. “Some kids at school said they stayed up till three in the morning on the Internet,” says a youth named Brian.—Ephesians 5:15, 16.

● Communicate only with people you know or whose identity you can verify.Unsavory individuals regularly troll the Internet looking to exploit unsuspecting youths.—Romans 16:18.

● When conducting a business transaction, be cautious. Be extremely careful about giving out personal information. Otherwise, you could become a victim of fraud—or worse.—Matthew 10:16.

● When sending photos to your friends, ask yourself, ‘Does this truly represent someone who claims to serve God?’—Titus 2:7, 8.

● As with face-to-face communication, if an  online discussion turns toward “things which are not becoming,” end the conversation.—Ephesians 5:3, 4.

● Always be aboveboard in your use of the Internet. If you have to ‘hide what you are’ from your parents, something’s wrong. “I’m open with my mom,” says a teen named Kari. “I show her what I’m doing online.”—Hebrews 13:18.

Isn't it amazing the differences in people? Some in the truth since birth are fanatical about being the 'perfect' witness and then there are some who know Jehovah has guidelines and not hard and fast rules. He allows us latitude while still faithfully conforming to a Christian lifestyle.

Then those who come out of the world who had addictive issues and the way for them to stay on task and 'safe' in Jehovah's Congregation is to keep a stern grip on themselves and not let go very often because they know their own potential. Compared with those who come into the truth who didn't have such issues and learned that Jehovah is a loving God and you can have a healthy relationship with him even if you allow some "banned-by-others" things into your life.  

This is the only "social media" thing that I do. I see comments by others that I love and some I don't understand. The brothers and sisters who monitor this site are very attentive and have shown this many times. If we have concerns  about a comment someone makes we point it out and it gets addressed. There isn't trash talk here, it's fun and educational and I have just loved getting to know ones 'related to me by faith' from all around the world.  

For ones to just blithely say we shouldn't belong to something like this forum without any knowledge of it is like someone at the door telling us they already know all about our religion and  are mad cause we don't believe in Jesus! REALLY!

Sorry you're going through the "opinionated people" junk right now. But like you said, it's best to keep most opinions and choices to ourselves, I know it saves me lots of headaches!  

(Obviously I shared my opinions here though!)

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My elder liked the pictures I downloaded from here but when I told him about such a site he was taken back.

But frankly in my congregation there were some brothers who were not too inspiring and it gave me a gloomy feeling.But now I am more cushioned in this forum with like minded people who like to discuss spiritual things.I feel I am in a big convention ground where we normally are cut off from the rest off the world.

And obviously we glorify Jehovah God by our comments or being happy and encouraged by other's comments which Jehovah God will not restrict to.

Loads of love from a '

Angel without wings'( occasionally I apply this to myself to amuse others. so no offence pls> bracketed words are meant for angels with wings)

Sent from my Q800 using Tapatalk

The brothers in my hall are all against me being here but Grumpy says it's OK and he knows there is nothing wrong with this site because I read him a lot of it. He doesn't do computer or internet.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sorry that happened Greg. Its always hard when we want to share something and a person doesnt view it the way we do!

This website reminds me of a congregation, you have all your different types, just like in a Kingdom Hall.

The whole concept of the internet and posting and forums is still relatively new. Some folks just need more time to adjust.

This site reminds me of a lunch break at a very big convention. Where we are free to meet everyone there and talk about what is on our mind. THanks everyone for the thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I know a few who are so technophobic that they literally walk out during any service meeting part dealing with JW.org, and there was a special announcement to stop using a marker to black out the URL on the back of magazines placed in the ministry.

As long as imperfections exist, some will remain set in their ways, feeling that everything too new to understand was invented by Satan himself. But rather than argue over the matter and force people to 'choose sides', I've found it best to respectfully abstain from the subject in the presence of any who would be stumbled, and otherwise continue to follow the directions of the faithful and discreet slave.

As was brought out in the August WT (released today), the official site gives us encouragement and assistance on certain topics, but the online-only information is not our spiritual food, nor is the site even necessary to remain spiritually healthy. Personally, I place this site in that same category, the experiences give us encouragement, the research gives us assistance, but it's not spiritual food at all. And given a choice of spending my free time discussing spiritual matters with brothers and sisters, or viewing websites, TV, music, etc that can at best be rated as "good enough", I don't think there's any question of which is more harmful to my relationship with Jehovah.

Gregory, my second daughter is a reg. pioneer, serves in another language and has gone and served where the need is great but she too has looked down upon me for being on this site.

some people's conscience just can't allow them to go to a witness site even though she does post pics on a site that is mainly witnesses. Just fear of the unknown I guess or fear that her mother is at this site. lol

There is an actual site named 'oh Crap! My parents joined Facebook!' It is hilarious!
Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Those that refuse to keep up and move forward with Jehovah's Organization, might find themselves in the same company as those who didn't want to go along with some of the new things understood. Faithful in little things comes to mind.

Walking out of a meeting that the slave provided seems pretty serious to me.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sorry that happened Greg. Its always hard when we want to share something and a person doesnt view it the way we do!

This website reminds me of a congregation, you have all your different types, just like in a Kingdom Hall.

The whole concept of the internet and posting and forums is still relatively new. Some folks just need more time to adjust.

I know a few who are so technophobic that they literally walk out during any service meeting part dealing with JW.org, and there was a special announcement to stop using a marker to black out the URL on the back of magazines placed in the ministry.

Seriously?  Even though the information comes from the Faithful Slave! Censoring (by blacking out) the magazines is basically saying the Faithful Slave got that part wrong!

Blacking out that Q R code (quick code) is may be a blessing for the reciprent of that magazine or tract. That person may be of the curious sort, and Jehovah can impel those of the right heart condition, to spend time searching out the source. That would be a blessing, wouldn't it? With God-given insight, no end to that blessing.

Our great God did such a beautiful creation in the human body, when you really meditate on that, you stand in awe. Then to top it off, He gave humans the right to pro-create! 

All praise does belong to Jehovah, doesn't it?

Edited by MizPeg

I wouldn't want to be one of the ones who Jehovah sees marking up/blacking out information on any written document that HE has endorsed. Almost like taking his name out of the Bible, ohhh..just sayin'.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...

Having gone through this thread a few times I do see an up side. Our friends and loved ones are working hard, even overtime to "be found without spot from the world".  They have chosen to take seriously the caution placed before them by Jehovah's mouth piece. While accurate knowledge and its counterbalance in this regard may escape them, the signal they give us, for the most part, is that they DON'T want to cross Jehovah. (enter Irish accent) It rrreally is a comforrrt that it matters t' them. ...........................And y' know,.....................that's not so bah.             :)

Edited by palmhat