JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Water for your emergency kit?

Most don't realize how much water a person needs to have per day to survive. To keep the amount one person needs is nearly impossible let alone what a family of 4 would need. 

An easier way to have water without the weight and bulk is to get a reverse osmosis bottle. Its very portable and you can take water from a mud puddle where ever you are to get what you need. I realize that in some areas that would be very hard to do. Like in a near desert area. At least if you have this you will be able to filter what you can get. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Water is very heavy to carry, though. My wife and I would be unable to carry sufficient.

Is there dehydrated water one could buy?

Costco sells a Steripen which sterilizes water.

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I hear it tastes awful tho. A reverse osmosis leaves no taste.

One has to find a water source first before you can use your RO ...... We have a river near by and bought a device that will purify it .

We still have 2/4 days worth of water in foil packs ....in an emergency we will be rationing our water and we won't be bathing or washing a lot until we get a reliable source. Even brushing our teeth may be a luxury !

True but as I said you can take water out of a mud puddle or a pond a stream or even a drainage ditch and filter it. Where we live there are drainage ditches all over. Some used to be streams or creeks. So there is always water around somewhere.

True but as I said you can take water out of a mud puddle or a pond a stream or even a drainage ditch and filter it. Where we live there are drainage ditches all over. Some used to be streams or creeks. So there is always water around somewhere.

that's where the steripen is handy as it gets rid of any bacteria :)

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I will have to check name of my water purifier it cost around $100 and you can do the same as mentioned in your post .

Most yachties have tablets that they throw into their water storage tanks - available from any ships chandlery stores.  As far as I can recall, they are tasteless.   A sister in New Zealand told me the water in their emergency kits is kept fresh by adding a teaspoon of ordinary household bleach to a 20 litre container of water every six months;  they mark the date on container with an indelible pen.   Keeps indefinitely as long as you keep adding the bleach.   Our cold tap water at home sometimes has a really bleachy smell, thats probably the chlorine the local utility puts in the water - both practically the same thing.   I used to add bleach to our swimming pool because chlorine cost about four times the price of bleach. 

Be careful with the Chlorine:  

Toxic Chemical: The Health Dangers of Chlorine

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/toxic-chemical-health-dangers-chlorine/

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

As I recall, if you google water purification, a small amount of bleach will kill any bacteria that might lay you low. If you leave the container open to the air for a period of time, the chlorine dissipates (sp). using that method will rid city water of most of the nasty smell of the chlorine they must add, to keep the water potable.

I use a reverse osmosis at home. I found that the straight city water gave me problems in my digestive track. 

I feel a portable RO system in the best way to go. JMHO and 2 cents worth. 

I was wondering if anyone tried this...............

attachicon.gifDehydrated Water.jpg

Vernalee, I caught someone with your 'dehydrated water' yesterday when discussing what to put in our emergency kit bags.   You should've seen the look on her face while she was trying to work it out.   Good thing she's a friend.

We have a 5 gallon opaque water container full of water and put 5 year water preserver drops in it.  So we know that we have that right out of the gate.  We also have two Aquamira emergency water filters (kind of like a LifeStraw) and larger Katadyn Microfilter that we can use with our Nalgene water bottles.  Bought everything on Amazon.

And if worse comes to worse, you can always boil water too.  We have portable propane stoves and cook sets that are tiny and can be used however we see fit.  There are always stores of water in your water heater and toilet tanks, and we even have a pond pretty much across the street if things got ugly.  Our emergency kits are great at home, but I made sure to have enough supplies to get out and walk if need be and sustain ourselves for quite some time if we have to get all Bear Grylls out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article.

http://www.doulton.ca/silver.html

"Silver - Reliable Alternatives to ChlorineSilver Water Purification Systems Offer Reliable Alternative to ChlorineReport by: The Silver Institute - Silver News -Laguna Niguel, CA (March 25, 1997) - Silver based water purification systems offer the most reliable and cost effective alternative to chlorine, a chemical that is increasingly coming under fire for the carcinogenic by products it leaves in water, according to David Eaton, secretary of The Institute of Water Ionization Technologies in the United Kingdom and technical director of Roseland Hydronics PLC.Speaking at the annual meeting of The Gold & Silver Institutes in Laguna, Niguel, CA. this week Eaton said progressively restrictive legislation is confronting the use of chemicals, especially chlorine, which for nearly a century. has been the primary medium for water disinfection.With increasing pollution, utilities are forced to put far more chlorine into the supply chain, Eaton explained. The chemical reaction that oxidizes impurities when chlorine is added, also forms carcinogenic byproducts. "Of course these same byproducts have been generated by chlorination for a long time but never in the quantities that are now being seen," he said.Silver offers a healthy alternative. The metal has long been known for its biocidal properties, Eaton noted. The Ancient Phoenicians. who stored wine in silver urns to preserve it, provide one of the earliest recorded examples of the metal’s use for water purification."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Yes silver works but for the price a just a few ounces I think it would be cheaper to get the RO system. Unless you have some old silver coins your wiling to sacrifice for it. 2 or 3 coins may be enough to keep the water fresh. I would do some research on it. Or the other thing you could do is take some old worn out silver dishes and cut them up to put inside the containers. That may be more viable than coins. Its hard to come by coins now. Countries stopped using it for coins years ago and use nickle now.

I also heard lime stone works as well. Many older sisterns were lined with lime stone to help keep the water fresh.