JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Millions bracing for winter storms in US

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3421 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

You know it's going to be bad when 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius) will be the high temperature.

But that's what parts of Minnesota will experience this week. And plenty of others will be freezing as well.

"We're looking at 50 million people in 24 states that are going to see some of the coldest weather over the next several days that we have seen in quite some time," CNN meteorologist Karen Maginnis said.

More here: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/05/us/weather/index.html

In contrast last weekend in Melbourne was extremly hot  +41C

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

70% of the US will be covered in Snow.

After last yrs winter & snowfall its incredible to think there is more, looks cold. 

stay warm & safe friends :coffee:  :tea:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

And while East of the rockies is getting inundated with snow and ice we here from Seattle to the West have gotten a dumping of rain like I haven't seen in a really long time. Some places getting 5 inches since yesterday morning. Roads have been washed out here by the beaches. Houses washed out into the middle of the roads because of mud. Fields, lawns, parking lots all are deep in water. MH called this morning and said the woods have been closed because of saturation. Never heard that one before. Rain finally let up this morning and it supposed to be clear for a few days now.

Was out in service and nobody was around, blame them? Well, except us witnesses!! We did a lot of 'charity' errands for housebound friends. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Its stinking cold up here let me tell ya. Wife said it was -25C when she got up with out the wind chill. Incredible. Right now out side the wind chill is -34C That was at Noon. We will have a 60 degree difference when we hit the airport in Holguine Cuba on Sat. I hope I dont pass out HA HA HA

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I'm glad I got alot of hours for the first four months of 2015 service year. Now I can slow down for the rest of the field service year.

My daughter pushed as well and had 337 hrs as of Dec 31.  

Winter in Texas is kind of fun.  I'm from Chicago, so I am aware of what winter is really like.  Down here, it gets down to 25 degrees and everyone panic's.  People race to the store and buy fire wood, batteries, bottled water, etc.  They really clean off the shelves. 

I just laugh.

My daughter pushed as well and had 337 hrs as of Dec 31.  

Winter in Texas is kind of fun.  I'm from Chicago, so I am aware of what winter is really like.  Down here, it gets down to 25 degrees and everyone panic's.  People race to the store and buy fire wood, batteries, bottled water, etc.  They really clean off the shelves. 

I just laugh.

Ava

I can't image pioneering in Texas during summer. Stay cool sis.

I just got back from Florida.  My first 4 days were sunshine, high 85, afterwards, low mid 70's, after that 3 days of rain, humidity, and cool down.  My last day (figures) it was high of 83.  Now I've been back 2 days, and my body is trying to get back into the freeze mode.  It's not working so well.  Heard that the entire kingdom hall in my neck of the woods was canceled due to many with the flu.  So, am glad I thought head, went to the Family Dollar store in Florida, and bought a box of mask, and disinfected wipes.  Am not taking chances, and if I want a hug, they will get a elbow knudge.  That is all!  Its now 20 degrees here, and daytime will be high of 25, Wednesday, Thursday, my meeting night a low of 9 degrees.  Well, what can we expect, ITS WINTER!  Think of our brothers in Siberia, Alaska, Mongolia, and other places that are under 50 below (besides the penguins).  I bundle, two long johns on, turtle neck, two wool (real shetland wool) sweaters, and two pages of a news paper.  It does really help cut down on the cold!   A feather coat from neck to booths, wool socks,double booty.  Wide enough for my bozo feet.  A blanket in my car, and a termal hot water canister with tea bags, stirrers and some natural sugar to booth.  Gloves, with fur in them.  and most important if going out PRAYER.   At night when there is black ice, I stay put.   Me and my car cannot ice skate.  We haven't learn that trick yet.   And one more thing, someone who has a WOODSTOVE at their home!  If we lose power, we can still have light, and eat!  

Sorry would let me post my video

Edited by Jewelz

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Ava

I can't image pioneering in Texas during summer. Stay cool sis.

Pioneers really make a push to get their hours in by the end of June.  They work pretty hard from September to June to get their 840.  That way in July and August, which really are the hottest months, they don't need many hours if any.

It was bitter cold here today. It actually hurt to have to go outside. We have an extreme cold advisory right now. They are warning that skin will freeze with in 10 min. Extreme frost bite risk. 

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Pioneers really make a push to get their hours in by the end of June.  They work pretty hard from September to June to get their 840.  That way in July and August, which really are the hottest months, they don't need many hours if any.

I'm glad they do it that way. Up in MI, is really cold. But we will survuve.

I'm glad they do it that way. Up in MI, is really cold. But we will survuve.

Lol, yep!!!

I'm from Chicago so I know what that cold is really like!!!  It's kind of fun when it gets in the 20's down here in TX, people freak out.  And if there is an inch of snow, lol, everything shuts down.

Lol, yep!!!

I'm from Chicago so I know what that cold is really like!!!  It's kind of fun when it gets in the 20's down here in TX, people freak out.  And if there is an inch of snow, lol, everything shuts down.

Sis

I heard that all the time. I don't live in the UP Michigan, but can be really bad up there. Last year I walked past the light house on lake MI and when I told some friends about it, they freak out. But this only happens once in a blue moon.

We got 10 inches of snow yesterday and another 4 to 8 expected tonight - along with temps in the -15C range with wind chill -25C ( 5F and -14F ). Just an old fashion Canadian Winter - for southern Ontario. Central & Northern Ontario - now that gets cold; below -40 at times although it hasn't happened yet this winter.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: