JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Happy - start your day off right!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3372 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

*** steps on soap box ****

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It looks to me like someone has thought about having a bit of fun and made a video. It's clearly not an official video and was no doubt never intended to be. I don't know if it was intended to get out into the wider world but it did and, for whatever reason, is now trying to be contained.

Is it the really the case that Bethel are asking YouTube to remove it? If it's not an official WTS video, does not use WTS copyrighted material and was produced by private individuals then surely it can only be the producers who can request it's removal. I can understand if Bethel are perhaps requesting the producers, who are no doubt Bethel workers, to remove it but that's not quite the same.

During the summer we had a glut of videos showing our brothers enjoying themselves to "worldly" music, dancing in Kingdom Halls, cheering international visitors, performing Mexican waves at conventions and so on. Some of those videos, and certainly many more on YouTube, feature copyrighted songs like Happy. They are still there. Yes, YT has policies on the use of copyrighted material but use like this is tolerated time and time again. Of course, this may be a factor as to why Bethel may have certain wishes (if indeed they do) regarding this video but, once again, that's not the same as YT pulling it.

As for the morals of the artist having a bearing on it then i think perhaps the thread on being righteous over much has some interesting reasoning points. I can't stand the song or the man but I am not going to get my knickers in a twist about it.

If Bethel would rather this wasn't out there to avoid any implication it has some kind of official sanction then I can understand it but surely we can all just take it for what it is - a bit of fun, showing our brothers and sisters engaged in a happy work with real purpose.

*** steps off soap box ***

Its not the watching of the video that is wrong - What you watch is down to your bible-trained conscience.  It is the making of and posting the video on the internet that has met with disapproval.  Why it met with disapproval, I don't know.  Was it the choice of music?  Was it because it was filmed at bethel?  Was it because they should have been working, not dancing? 

Probably not the fault of the bethelites in the video, it was down to one who put it together and posted it.  Wouldn't surprise me if some counsel is given to the bethel family during their morning worship or family study night.

I've shown the video to others, and many like it, think its funny. 

Is it the really the case that Bethel are asking YouTube to remove it?

Or whoever the original uploader was. Perhaps this "Joe Bethelite"?

It could just be a matter of all these individuals in the video may have trusted that it would not be distributed over the internet. Or perhaps it gives the impression that it is an official video, and there are the copyright issues with the music, etc. Or even that it gives the wrong impression <- just look at some of the comments here at JWTalk from the more sensitive ones "Gasp! A Will Pharrell song? But he has other songs that are dirty." lol :P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

As regards the morals of the singer, I am reminded of Paul's words to the Corinthians:

In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world.

Some contact with immoral people is inevitable, while we would not choose them as associates, their actions or habits can hardly be said to taint everything they say or do. I remember a brother many years ago who stopped listening to any music by Tchaikovsky when he learned of his homosexuality. That was his choice, but it seemed to me to be an excessive reaction. This is why we have conscience decisions to make.

The use of this song in the video is really a matter of copyright etc. BUT: Could the depiction in the video cast doubt in worldly minds of the validity of the "religious order" to which Bethelites belong? This could have implication re tax exemptions etc. we want to show the truth as a happy way of life; the Best Life Ever video does this in a modest way and without using worldly music.

Just my 2p.

Or whoever the original uploader was. Perhaps this "Joe Bethelite"?

It could just be a matter of all these individuals in the video may have trusted that it would not be distributed over the internet. Or perhaps it gives the impression that it is an official video, and there are the copyright issues with the music, etc. Or even that it gives the wrong impression <- just look at some of the comments here at JWTalk from the more sensitive ones "Gasp! A Will Pharrell song? But he has other songs that are dirty." lol :P

Yes, I think it far more likely that the original poster is trying to get it down, probably after having had some counsel or similar, as per my note.  I doubt anyone would disagree with the sentiments of the video but I can understand why Bethel may not wish it to be distributed widely as we have a clear channel for the distribution of official material, there could be copyright implications that could be incorrectly attributed to the society, scope for misinterpretation etc. etc.

Although I believe it to be 100% unofficial, I do wonder how many up the chain knew about it whilst in production?  There has clearly been a lot of organisation gone into the filming with the locations and number of people.  Surely someone in a senior role would have known of it's production?

Although I believe it to be 100% unofficial, I do wonder how many up the chain knew about it whilst in production? There has clearly been a lot of organisation gone into the filming with the locations and number of people. Surely someone in a senior role would have known of it's production?

You would think so....the sheer number of people participating, some older and many 'experienced' looking Bethelites enjoying doing it really made me wonder how they could pull off such a long and many department faceted project without any wind of it getting to the top. Sure looked like they had a lot of fun and made my day to see it.

Edited by Tazzy

Well, one thing is sure and that is, just as Beth, I enjoyed it! It made me smile, dance a little along with it while sitting down watching it. I even texted one of my sons. He tried to text me using a drop box thing which didn't work. He enjoyed it, texting back that is what he tried to give me the night before using, again, the drop box thing.

I still hold to my original stand as to the KM but whatever. I understand the legal stance of youtube, but as for the video itself...what's the big deal. One of the brothers in the video I recognized, I see him most every time I go to Bethel which will be often again once the weather clears (can't deal with the cold and near the water too).

Like Jonathan said, it could be a matter of the conscience as to whether someone should watch it.

And as far as the singer, well, what can I say? Absolutely nothing actually. I'm crazy about Sade, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, etc. I'm just selective on which of their songs I listen and dance to. But that's MY conscience.

Each one of us has to act accordingly. I came across an absolutely hilarious Evian water commercial on youtube one day with babies appearing to hiphop. I loved it!! Showed it to a few sisters and they loved it too. The result? One said she needs to go out and buy that water...lol lol lol. It's about the conscience, not in everything for there are things Jehovah lays clearly in black and white.

Well, as an old cartoon character used to say (Porky the Pig if I have it right), "That's all folks." At least for me.

Sorry I shared it.

It gave me a smile and a laugh on a day I needed that. I throughly enjoyed it and smile even now when I think of it.

I didn't realize the fall out would be so great.

Don't be sorry.  I had already seen it before you shared it on here, so its been making the rounds anyway.  I first heard when an elder in my congregation saw it, who got it from his son, who got from another brother an so on.  He liked and told me about it.

Right Tazzy, like Jonathan said "don't be sorry." You have nothing to be sorry for. The "fall out" is not your fault. You were just trying to make us smile and be happy that's all. Everyone has their conscience and I think that's what this is all about really.

Have a good conscience and don't allow Satan to use this to bring you down. You know how he is. He wants to cause division among God's people and he'll stoop to anything to bring that about...even through a clean website as this one.

Smile...you're on candid camera...lol.

And i agree with Branch on that...

i only heard about this video yesterday when my mother showed me and asked if its from FDS and if its ok to have it on her tablet...

I had answer to her the same thing as below:

This guy , William Pharell is well known as a immoral man. And it is not right nor good to mix his music with images of theocratics ativity..

That was and still is my personal point of view about this video.

Bethelites made this video as part of Bethel's annual talent night. The disapproval is coming from the fact that something made privately for the Bethel family was posted online for world wide consumption. Any other speculation about this video is just speculation.

Was the video from the FDS? No. All videos from the branch will appear on JW Broadcasting, not YouTube or some 3rd party. Just because something isn't from the branch doesnt mean it is wrong to watch or else all of us would be in trouble.

This is another good lesson about conscience. Even Bethelites in good standing at Bethel may choose music that we would avoid.

Really, the only music and videos that are not produced by immoral people or by people completely free from worldly influence is on JW Broadcasting. If you look hard enough at worldly entertainers I'm sure you will find worldly thinking, connections to Christendom, acceptance of lifestyles contrary to Jehovah, and so forth.

1 Cor 5:9, 10 In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world.

Edited by Shawnster

Even more reason for us to reasonable. This was all about the conscience. And I like the scripture you quoted at the end.

Side point: wow, I had no idea Bethel had an annual talent show. And people say we don't know how to have a good time...yeah right! I hope you all don't mind my including this here: some years ago a sister in pioneer class invited a few of us to her wedding. It was wonderful. During the reception, a few of us was on our way outside to get some air. A few reception hall employess were watching and I heard one say,Iin wonderment, "those Jehovah's witness, I didn't know they dance."

In 2006 when one of my sons got married, my worldly sister said afterward with her face gleaming in wonderment, "I had a really good time, it was so clean."

Jehovah is a happy God. So his worshippers are too.

And we are normal...after all. Lol.

I just received this via email:

My name is (name removed) and I was one of the producers and creators of the  video. 
Thank you for your appreciation of the video. It took many hours and a lot of effort to create. 

The thing is, it was meant for a private audience  and  spreading it around is causing potential legal issues with the song copyright as well as the fact that we did not obtain releases from all the almost 900 participants Also, it might cause issues with  our assignments here at Bethel, which would be heartbreaking. Therefore, we are  requesting that you please inform everyone you notified as well as deleting all copies that you may have downloaded or been sent. Especially since you have  posted it in a format that allows other to download it.

Thank you so much for your support and understanding.

Your brother,

(name removed) US-RDC I WATCHTOWER [bROOKLYN]

Please note, there is NOTHING wrong with the video itself.

Edited by Musky

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3372 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.