JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

11 Missing Days

A switch from Julian Calender to Gregorian Calender took sacrifices almost 170 years apart. The switch from the Julian Calender to Gregorian Calender started on October of 1582. Can you imagined it was only 21 days in that month?

Basically when some parts of  the western world or Britain accepted this,  it was almost 170 years later in September of 1752. Can you imagined it was only 19 days in that month?

I assuming this information is a lot better of hearing  Abraham Lincoln's dog was assassinated too. :)

Interesting post!

That change introduced also the current way of calculating which years are leap years, as well as the start of the year on January 1.

Since the new calendar was a Catholic innovation, Protestant countries refused to submit to it for centuries. And Orthodox countries in Eastern Europe (like Russia) didn't adopt it until the 20th century, after World War I.

Why on earth is there a smiley face after this statement?!

Believe me sis, I not happy regarding the assassination. The reason why I put it there is because every time I mention about this to others, they are totally shocked. They never heard of it before. Of course, we all can learn something new everyday and that is why I put a smile there sis because if someone read this post, it is a good posiblity  they never heard that Abraham Lincoln's dog was also assassinated.

Also, I know you are an animal lover, so If I offend you, then I'm sorry. :givehug:

Edited by Dustparticle

A switch from Julian Calender to Gregorian Calender took sacrifices almost 170 years apart. The switch from the Julian Calender to Gregorian Calender started on October of 1582. Can you imagined it was only 21 days in that month?

Basically when some parts of  the western world or Britain accepted this,  it was almost 170 years later in September of 1752. Can you imagined it was only 19 days in that month?

I assuming this information is a lot better of hearing  Abraham Lincoln's dog was assassinated too. :)

Great post. I have learnt something new. I know a little of Abraham Lincoln. I had wondered about the 2 Calenders you mentioned,, :)

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Interesting supposition, but being killed in by a drunk in a mistaken case of self defense does not meet the definition of assassination. A dog is not a person

More likely a case of dogslaughter.  :)

as·sas·si·nat·ed, ...

1. To murder (prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons.
2. To destroy or injure treacherously: assassinate a rival's character.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Believe me sis, I not happy regarding the assassination. The reason why I put it there is because every time I mention about this to others, they are totally shocked. They never heard of it before. Of course, we all can learn something new everyday and that is why I put a smile there sis because if someone read this post, it is a good posiblity  they never heard that Abraham Lincoln's dog was also assassinated.

Also, I know you are an animal lover, so If I offend you, then I'm sorry. :givehug:

I learned something too, never knew that!

The international Civil Gregorian calendar also known as the "Christian calendar" or "Western calendar" was named after Pope Gregory XIIl and first introduced in February 1582.

Interesting that it took so long for the world to eventually adapt, and was actually considered by many protestants as a Catholic plot.

The original goal of the Gregorian calendar was to change the date of Easter. And some exaggerated that riots broke out in the streets when Britain adapted the calendar.   :shrugs:

The international Civil Gregorian calendar also known as the "Christian calendar" or "Western calendar" was named after Pope Gregory XIIl and first introduced in February 1582.

Interesting that it took so long for the world to eventually adapt, and was actually considered by many protestants as a Catholic plot.

The original goal of the Gregorian calendar was to change the date of Easter. And some exaggerated that riots broke out in the streets when Britain adapted the calendar.   :shrugs:

Thanks for the info.