JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Other than tasting like eating dirt, I have no problem finding them. People from Illinois and Indiana floor the northern Michigan woods to search for them. Last I heard they sold for almost 30 a pound.

My ex-husband had a dynamite recipe for frying them - he used to hunt them and bring them home and it was such a treat!  I may still have the recipe around somewhere if you want it - it was simple and delicious (especially with some creamy horseradish sauce!)

On second thought - Jordan, you are just in the next town over from me (Warsaw) - you bring mushrooms and I'll give you the recipe! haha! (Blackmail at it's lamest!)

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

My ex-husband had a dynamite recipe for frying them - he used to hunt them and bring them home and it was such a treat! I may still have the recipe around somewhere if you want it - it was simple and delicious (especially with some creamy horseradish sauce!)

On second thought - Jordan, you are just in the next town over from me (Warsaw) - you bring mushrooms and I'll give you the recipe! haha! (Blackmail at it's lamest!)

Really? Huh....what are the chances of that.....I don't know many people outside my congregation here....I'm a transplant from down south...only been here 4 years.

Other than tasting like eating dirt, I have no problem finding them. People from Illinois and Indiana floor the northern Michigan woods to search for them. Last I heard they sold for almost 30 a pound.

Only way I can imagine them tasting like dirt is if someone didn't wash out the actual dirt from all the nooks and crannies...and if you can find some for under $30 a pound, buy them all and sell them in Indiana. They're going for $45-$60 a pound here :-)

Typically I roll them in flour with salt & pepper...then fry in butter

Last week I fried some with sausage and eggs (with no breading) for breakfast. I'd really like to find other ways to eat them

You need to soak them in salt water first too - gets all the bugs out and dead and makes them more "firm" for frying. My ex used to dip them in flour (mixed with a little salt and pepper) then dip them in egg (beaten) and then roll them in saltines that had been crushed rather fine and then fry them in butter. Best I ever had!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Really? Huh....what are the chances of that.....I don't know many people outside my congregation here....I'm a transplant from down south...only been here 4 years.

You want to talk about chances?  I grew up in Columbus, Indiana, which is about 4 hours south of you two.  A brother I pioneered with married a sister from Shali's hall and they, last I heard, serve in a Russian congregation in California.

You want to talk about chances? I grew up in Columbus, Indiana, which is about 4 hours south of you two. A brother I pioneered with married a sister from Shali's hall and they, last I heard, serve in a Russian congregation in California.

Wow.....crazy

Does anyone else see those things as scary :nope:  :o  :hammer: Those things are as scary as a BIG spider...I almost fainted when I saw them!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I was under the impression that today's morels were all bad.

Did I miss something?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 4 weeks later...

About 15 years ago I took care of a young family that went to Dodger Stadium to collect mushrooms for consumption.  They supposedly had done it for years.  They collected some that were poisonious and their three year old ended up dying because his system was too young/weak to recover.  The parents were both in comas but recovered.  They were placed in the same room to be cared for since they were married.  I remember how heart breaking it was for the doctor to have to tell them when they came out of the coma that their child had died.  I don't know the type of mushrooms they confused but because of this I would have a fear of eating them.  I do love mushrooms.

How do you make positive they are the safe variety?

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!