JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

angels and women

In reading through this topic, and taking into account the opinions of those who have read it, I would think for me anyway, it is ok to read.  It is a fictional account of based on Genesis, with further details from the Greek Scriptures, which show that we have to be aware of the time we are living in and that Jehovah is due to destroy those who oppose.  

It is not, in and of itself, a study of demonism.  It is describing the world and how it stood at the time of the flood, through fictional characterisation.  As such, it makes it a readable subject.  If only I had the time and inclination.  For some, it is not something that will entertain, and that is fine too, hence our conscience or our personal tastes come into view.  I personally enjoy reading about the future, because it is more comforting to me.  I already know about the world we live in mirroring that of the time of the flood, and maybe I just don't feel the need to go there with fiction.  Just me and how I feel at the moment.  But I may look into it at a later time.

2 Pet 2:4-6 Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment.  And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world,+ but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people. And by reducing the cities of Sodʹom and Go·morʹrah to ashes, he condemned them, setting a pattern for ungodly people of things to come.

I can see why it was thought of as a good read back in the 1920's.  Look at what's happened in the world since then, and what massive pain the demons have directly caused mankind to suffer.  Putting the reader into a similar setting of what the last days really means is probably what the brothers were encouraging back then - sort of a warning example of the outcome of this Satanically run world.  But now, the slave asks us to imagine our future in the paradise - to look forward.  It helps us to put on the  "Helmet of the hope of salvation", which is part of our armour against the machinations of the devil.

Thank you for your response, Carlos.  So true, we have quite a lot of more urgent material to read and meditate on!  I'll be honest, I received the book Angels and Women while a student in high school studying cinematography and film production.  In 2009 I finally wrote a screen play adaptation, but ran into a brick wall as far as obtaining permission from the original publisher/author.  Interestingly, the author, Ann Eliza Smith died in 1905. Russell died in 1916, but the book Angels and Women on her novel was published in 1924, which means it is under U.S. copyright.   The author is not disclosed, but only as "anonymous".  Therefore, obtaining a chain of custody for permission is impossible.  I revised my screenplay as an adaptation of Seola, the original literary work that Russell himself read; which, by the way, is more eloquently written, but much like reading Shakespeare.   In so doing, I removed the really weird parts, and added some of my own inflections.

Again, I thank you for your response.

14 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It is a fictional account of based on Genesis, with further details from the Greek Scriptures, which show that we have to be aware of the time we are living in and that Jehovah is due to destroy those who oppose.  

It is not, in and of itself, a study of demonism.  It is describing the world and how it stood at the time of the flood, through fictional characterisation. 

2 Pet 2:4-6 Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment.  And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world,+ but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people. And by reducing the cities of Sodʹom and Go·morʹrah to ashes, he condemned them, setting a pattern for ungodly people of things to come.

I can see why it was thought of as a good read back in the 1920's.  Look at what's happened in the world since then, and what massive pain the demons have directly caused mankind to suffer.

I agree with your observations.  Back in the early days, Russell was trying to reach the masses, publishing the Watchtower in newspapers and producing the Photo Drama of Creation.  Although the revised book was published 8 years after he died, the purpose was no doubt the same.  It seems though, that the intended audience was the general public, to become aware of the root cause of the evil in the world and that Jehovah will "not refrain from punishing an ancient world... of ungodly people" or this world relevant during "the presence of the Son of man." Matt. 24:36-39.

Also, if I may add my opinion, the book Seola was not a product of demon inspiration, any more than by the tooth fairy.  What is demonism is the trinity and immortality of the soul.  Those doctrines are promoted in occult literature.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:30 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Wow! That sounds really interesting Paulette.

What started out to be just a fun project, has turned quite interesting indeed.  After submitting my first draft to the U.S. Copyright office and WGA, two weeks later the headlines in the Wall Street Journal read, "Hong Kong Christens an Ark of Biblical proportions." The WSJ quoted the purpose of the Kwok family in Hong Kong to build a life size replica of Noah's ark, was to get the Bible's message to the people of China.  I contacted their representative for permission to film some exterior shots, and was emailed the release forms - in Chinese! However, they wanted to know the director, actors, and budget, which I was not prepared to provide.   Shortly after this, my mechanic introduced me to his girlfriend who had worked in film production in LA.  I was surprised to see her at the memorial, and learned her family are JWs and own the largest and oldest post production company in Hollywood.  The name of that company is credited at the end of the videos on JW.org, "Noah - He walked with God," and "David - He trusted in God."  She helped with script revisions, etc.  Then, the Kwok brothers are indicted,  one is convicted and goes to prison!   I had hoped they would be inclined to fund a portion of the film.  Sometime later, my husband's daughter comes to visit.  It turns out she had worked for a casting director in Oregon.  She helped prepare a projected list of actors for majority of the characters. As things start to take shape,  I submitted Seola's Journal, as a film in development.  The next day, I read in Bloomberg that Tommy Kwok is released from prison!  However, I'm still working on the budget and haven't decided on the director.  "If Jehovah wills, we will live and do this or that." - James 4:15.

Edited by alohapaulette

typo

Now that would be interesting!  Did you notice that the releases in the last regional convention were all videos? They can be a great way to convey a message.  In fact, if you think about it, a vision is like Jehovah playing a movie - that John and Daniel are told to write down.  The Photo Drama of Creation was so ahead of it's time.  The New World Society in Action film was another way everyone  could see how Jehovah's organization was increasing.  My husband is in that film at the time code 01:39, and again at 01:08:10.  He's the Italian man raking his yard and pretends not to understand English!

I read the book.  

A bit confusing at times, but a

most imaginative account of pre-flood

conditions.  Good is the dominant theme

of the book and how, with Jehovah's help, 

it triumphs over evil.

If Hollywood ever did turn this into a movie, I'm sure evil would be the dominant theme.

Just a so-so read.  In hindsight, my time would have been better spent perusing our latest publications.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On 3/4/2017 at 7:11 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

If Hollywood ever did turn this into a movie, I'm sure evil would be the dominant theme.

For this very reason I was cautioned about control.  So if this project ever goes into the production phase, as writer/producer I would see to it that the director adheres to the script.

Edited by alohapaulette

On 3/4/2017 at 7:11 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Just a so-so read.  In hindsight, my time would have been better spent perusing our latest publications.^_^

The book I recall had a long boring chapter of the animals being herded into the ark, and a long boring chapter about the giants showing off in a parade.  What I did was juxtaposed the scenes between each of these events, as if happening simultaneously, from sunrise to sunset.  The purpose of the film is to bring awareness of the flood, why it occurred, and the Bible primarily to Asia.