JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Should you wash new clothing?

Should you launder new clothing before wearing? The experts weigh in on this; http://www.wcvb.com/news/wash-new-clothes-before-wearing-them-expert-has-answer/33100106?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WCVB%20Channel%205%20Boston&linkId=14350296

I am so glad most of my clothing has been pre-worn by other sisters, and nicely broken in. At Walkill Bethel they have a 'hopper' where sisters and brothers put in un-needed items. Some of the sisters have picked out beautiful garments for me from here. Some surprise tidbits in this little article.    

There is also an embedded 'video' of how often we should wash everything else. Interesting reasoning on certain comments. I am getting ready to scrub floors tomorrow. Yes, I wash floors frequently and steam them, but they don't seem clean enough. I have to get down and scrub them. It will be a good time to do my grout,too.  

Edited by kejedo

I've heard that because of the bed bug problem coming from certain countries, that you should wash new clothing - or at least, put them in the dryer for a while to kill the bed bugs.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I didn't read the article but yes! They are saturated in poison, every thing from sizing (that keeps the fabric in a certain shape) to pesticides to keep bugs and critters from eating the clothing/fabric in transport. I always launder mine, a few times. If you are sewing wash AND dry fabric at least 6 times to get all the sizing out and completely shrink it. (otherwise after a few washings it may not fit right any more). The dryer on high is the only way to kill bedbugs... but be careful and look over clothing for such too, they aren't as little as you may think... same with lice... both bedbugs and lice I have been able to see with the naked eyes... well! Bedbugs look like a red apple seed... lice well they look a bit like a weavel but worse! lol (yes both have crept me out to the max!) And those are the major things, on a footnote, I know several professional seamstresses (who worked for the big companies) they all say they would never wear something straight off the rack-they have told me of the nasty conditions of the places they are made, and how the fabric goes on the floor often, and really is just yuck! 

I miss donating my clothing to bethel. That's where I donated every thing I no longer wore. Still nice, but I lost 100 lbs! (literally).

Edited by PrairieGirl

I didn't read the article but yes! They are saturated in poison, every thing from sizing (that keeps the fabric in a certain shape) to pesticides to keep bugs and critters from eating the clothing/fabric in transport. 

A company that I use to work for had once ordered a bunch of leather work gloves from overseas. As they were distributing the gloves they found a piece of paper with a picture of a scorpion on it and some writing in a foreign language that looked like a warning. They quickly recalled the gloves and investigated. It turns out the country that shipped the gloves was having a problem with scorpions and had sprayed everything with a pesticide. The company decided to return the gloves.

I never thought about that happening to clothing. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I guess I am too clean, because most of the time I clean these things more often then they recommend. Some like the car are needed  at least 3-4 times a week, before meetings and heading our in the ministry.This week for example it has snowed every day and there are many unpaved roads. Luckily I have no hair to overwash. 

Edited by Brother Arellano

Well, I wash clothing before I wear them because I can only afford used ones from the thrift shop (pretty nice too). But what I can't understand for the life of me is why would women buy used panties and bras?! Yes, the clothing smells like they've been laundered but still...used underwear? eewwww! To each her own. A sister had said one time that even brand new panties can be dirty. But of course, what with some stores allowing women to try on panties, and as with anything you try on if it don't fit you put it back right? eewwww! Are you kidding me? Although in the dressing area there's a sign in each room to try them on ON THE TOP of what you already have on, tell me, how many are or will actually heed that in this selfish world? eewwww!

I tell ya...anything you buy in this system whether intimate apparel or not, comes with risks.

Edited by Luezette

Well, I wash clothing before I wear them because I can only afford used ones from the thrift shop (pretty nice too). But what I can't understand for the life of me is why would women buy used panties and bras?! Yes, the clothing smells like they've been laundered but still...used underwear? eewwww! To each her own. A sister had said one time that even brand new panties can be dirty. But of course, what with some stores allowing women to try on panties, and as with anything you try on if it don't fit you put it back right? eewwww! Are you kidding me? Although in the dressing area there's a sign in each room to try them on ON THE TOP of what you already have on, tell me, how many are or will actually heed that in this selfish world? eewwww!

I tell ya...anything you buy in this system whether intimate apparel or not, comes with risks.

Yes, the sisters and I recycle clothing, but not undergarments. I did not know thrift shops could sell them, or stores could allow try-ons. I saw a man on Jeopardy last week that says he collects use undergarments for women and children in abused/ domestic violence shelters b/c people donate clothing, but most come there with the clothes on their back, so there is a demand for under clothing. When I was in middle school/high school, I modeled for a store and the clothing went right back on the racks. I like an outfit I modeled once and went back a week or so later (when I had accumulated enough to buy it) and it had already been purchased. 

Yes Pauline there are two stores I know of that allow try on of under garments: Macys and Victoria Secret, at least the ones in downtown Brooklyn.

The Thrift Store i frequent is called Unique, which sell the used undergarments, though I don't know if you can try them on though I wouldn't put it pass them for in their try on rooms there are no signs...not that it would actually matter.

Yes you should always buy a little more if you think it's a shrinky fabric. I haven't personally had a ton of shrinkage on my fabric, but have heard horror stories or others! lol 

And yes Richard ALL fabric/clothing is saturated in pesticide, there would be too much of a risk of loss of fabric/clothing to moths, and other insects with out it. Another reason that is hypothesized that many long time quilters/seamstresses that do not prewash their fabric, get lung cancer. 

I buy a LOT of my clothing thrift, shoes too. (mainly the shoes I like are old lady shoes, they are usually in good condition, I have a theory that many older women will buy a shoe to match every outfit, and when they are a certain age, they don't get to wear them often because of age/illness... so many of the shoes go virtually unworn). I also can't imagine wearing used panties... but, I will admit I've bought a few used bras off ebay for sizing, as no where local sells my size. If I still lived in NYC, I liked My Intimacy, and Nordstrom's. Nordstrom's usually didn't sell exactly what I needed, and My Intimacy didn't always either, but at least had something of the brand in my size so I could know what size to order online. I usually have to order from Europe to get my size correctly. I don't know what's wrong with America thinking no one is above a D or something.

I had not thought about laundering fabric before sewing. I imagine that must seriously affect the yardage one must buy when using the pattern's recommendations.

My mother was an incrediable seamstress before she died.  She sewd all my school clothes and would make patterns out of butcher paper.  She was frugal and would not spend for patterns.  I remeber her too washing the fabric before cutting it out so the initial shrinkage would occur.  That brought  back a nice memory.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

This brought back a memory for me, too. We used to get one outfit for school and it had to last the year. I started babysitting at 12, and would buy a 99 cent skirt length to expand my wardrobe. My mother said (she is passed away now and hated the witnesses,) that she remembers me saving up my babysitting money and buying an inexpensive jumper from Bradlee's (now out of business). I never put it on my self, but traced it out in newspaper and immediately returned it for a refund. Then I used the newspaper for a pattern and was able to sew a jumper and sew another couple of items for the same price. I wouldn't do that now, but can pretty much make up patterns. I, too, wish I could find butcher paper, but I don't have as much time for my sewing hobby as I used to. In the old days, the fabric was not treated, as now, and we could sew, iron, and wear.     

You can purchase brown rolls (or white) at any paint store or Home Depot.  I bought several roll of brown paper when I needed to redo the bathrooms at the bar.  I took the brown paper and tore in into pieces and strips to "wall paper" the bathrooms.  I tore them jagged into sizes about the size of a dinner plate and then wadded them up for a wrinkled effect and dipped them into wall paper glue and put the on the wall.  You would not believe how great this turned out. It actually looked like the walls had leather treatments on them.  The work went really quick and was amazing.  You can google brown paper bag treatments and see pictures.  Some even used onld news papers in a sports bar on an accent wall and it is so cool.  Easy too.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Isn't butcher paper the same as freezer wrap (paper).  They sell it at the grocery stores here.

I have been looking for some butcher wrap paper but haven't seen any. A 3 year old boy in our cong visits me almost every week to do something educational. I have some chocolate pudding ready and wanted to fingerpaint letters and numbers on white butcher paper. I have wax paper and some small marker boards, instead. I am not near Home Depot or any big stores.

could you go to a butcher and get some?

lol Yes, it's hard not to get new exam paper! lol It crumples so fast, you would know if it was rerolled on the roll. Plus they are in plastic when new. My mom is a dr, so I have her bring a roll home every so often... not too often one roll last a long time. :)

OTOH, I would love to be able to afford the swedish paper some day! The swiss dots keep things lined up better... I've been in co-ops that buy huge rolls of it from Sweden. But, so far I haven't been able to afford to be in on the buy.

Edited by PrairieGirl

If you have a local newspaper you might ask them for a roll end they don't use it to the very end and one roll end will last a long time

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~