JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Increasing lean muscle mass

In order to increase lean muscle mass (or tone as some would call it) an overall reduction in weight is usually what needs to occur.  There are some cases though where it's not a matter of reduction of weight, but rather a change in our eating habits which can produce the change we're looking to see.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrition-101-eat-to-build-lean-muscle.html

Although I'm not a bodybuilder, the site itself does have some good tips on how to build lean muscle mass.  Many women in general shy away from weight training, or anything to do with muscles because they're worried they'll look bulky and unfeminine.  Yet, this is almost never the case, because we women just do not produce the necessary hormones to look like the hulk.

I am back at my own challenge again, to lose weight and increase lean muscle mass.  Since losing weight is one bodily process (whereby components are ripped down - catabolic) and increasing muscle mass is (components are built up - anabolic) it is often recommended by professionals that you lose weight first, then work on increasing muscle mass. 

However, this is a catch-22, because the two systems are often intricately linked to one another.  In order to lose weight, more muscle is better at efficiently burning the calories you need to lose in order to achieve your goals.

One way to keep track of how well you're doing isn't always the scale either, measurements are likely to keep you motivated, as you can see physical changes.

I've included some photos to drive home how women are different in their body types/shapes and how each woman will carry weight differently.  

Each of the women in this photo are 150lbs!!!

post-56-0-72943800-1433133886.jpg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm --- read the article, ignore the disgusting photo of the woman, steroids, and or supplements are the only thing that made her look that way.

As an aside, I have personally done weight training, and I have done solely cardio.  Weight training is far superior to cardio in all manners.  Of course you still need to get your heart rate up,  but things like skipping rope and so forth are the best for that.

Here is a list of workouts which will help you to start on the road to the body I think you're wanting.

http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search%5Btime%5D=&commit=Go!&search%5Btags%5D%5B%5D=&search%5Btags%5D%5B%5D=zwow

If the link above does not work, type in google, litealloy.com

These exercises are all body weight, but also incorporate weights later.  She also has a fitness and nutrition site.  I know that her workouts seem a bit odd, she's a bit raspy and seems 'too pretty' but the workouts are legit and you will see results right away.  I have done several of them and some I can't even finish.  

Let me know what you think.

P.S.  IF YOU HAVE UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN FIRST!!!!

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Thank you Sharon!  Nice info to share, cause there is usually much we can do to be more active.  I know, I'm also on a renewed activity drive since being recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Walking is only one part of my regime.  I agree that weight training is a good way to go, as it also helps us ladies with reducing the risk of osteoporosis.

Diet is so important when trying to lose weight or trying to tone up. I find the my fitness pal app ( https://www.myfitnesspal.com/) has really helped me get healthy again. I just popped in my details popped in my goals set my macros at 40 carbs/ 30 fats/ 30 protein and stuck as close to my calorie goal as possible. I eat 4-6 times a day and have stopped eating large meals. I also bought some cheap protien powder so i could cheaply reach my protien goal each day.

As well as watching what i eat I do a mixture of insanity videos and running. If you find those workouts too crazy then you can use fitness blender videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender. Light exercise 5 times a week is a good target. Nothing too crazy to start off with.

Before i got the my fitness pal app i was totally doing my diet all wrong and was unable to get rid of my belly fat. I was eating way too many carbs, now i eat a very balanced nutritious diet and the app makes me think twice before having cake / pastries / chocolate and fat/sugar filled and processed foods. I also finally found my abs. It took 33 years but they are definitely there.

It has to be a lifestyle, not a fad that you do for a month or else you can put everything back on in no time at all. I enjoy being healthy and full of energy. I feel great after workouts. The aim is to be healthy. The hardest things are pressing play on a workout video and keeping to your calorie goal. If you can do this then you will see results fast, the trick is to stick with it. :)

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

........One way to keep track of how well you're doing isn't always the scale either, measurements are likely to keep you motivated, as you can see physical changes.......

This video goes to prove this point and shows that scales can quite often give you a false reading when losing fat and gaining muscle:-

Edited by MentalProject

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

In order to increase lean muscle mass (or tone as some would call it) an overall reduction in weight is usually what needs to occur.  There are some cases though where it's not a matter of reduction of weight, but rather a change in our eating habits which can produce the change we're looking to see.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrition-101-eat-to-build-lean-muscle.html

Although I'm not a bodybuilder, the site itself does have some good tips on how to build lean muscle mass.  Many women in general shy away from weight training, or anything to do with muscles because they're worried they'll look bulky and unfeminine.  Yet, this is almost never the case, because we women just do not produce the necessary hormones to look like the hulk.

I am back at my own challenge again, to lose weight and increase lean muscle mass.  Since losing weight is one bodily process (whereby components are ripped down - catabolic) and increasing muscle mass is (components are built up - anabolic) it is often recommended by professionals that you lose weight first, then work on increasing muscle mass. 

However, this is a catch-22, because the two systems are often intricately linked to one another.  In order to lose weight, more muscle is better at efficiently burning the calories you need to lose in order to achieve your goals.

One way to keep track of how well you're doing isn't always the scale either, measurements are likely to keep you motivated, as you can see physical changes.

I've included some photos to drive home how women are different in their body types/shapes and how each woman will carry weight differently.  

Each of the women in this photo are 150lbs!!!

attachicon.gif150 lbs.jpg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm --- read the article, ignore the disgusting photo of the woman, steroids, and or supplements are the only thing that made her look that way.

As an aside, I have personally done weight training, and I have done solely cardio.  Weight training is far superior to cardio in all manners.  Of course you still need to get your heart rate up,  but things like skipping rope and so forth are the best for that.

Here is a list of workouts which will help you to start on the road to the body I think you're wanting.

http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search%5Btime%5D=&commit=Go!&search%5Btags%5D%5B%5D=&search%5Btags%5D%5B%5D=zwow

If the link above does not work, type in google, litealloy.com

These exercises are all body weight, but also incorporate weights later.  She also has a fitness and nutrition site.  I know that her workouts seem a bit odd, she's a bit raspy and seems 'too pretty' but the workouts are legit and you will see results right away.  I have done several of them and some I can't even finish.  

Let me know what you think.

P.S.  IF YOU HAVE UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN FIRST!!!!

I think I am built like the woman in the middle right now (and in that weight range). I would like to lose 15 lbs. A group of sisters and I are dieting. I am living lavida lo-carb, and losing slowly. We do stretch band and hula hoop together.  I will definitely try some of these suggestions. The young ones from our congregation exercise with us. Thanks for the references. 

Simon theres a saying one of the trainers I know uses, its you cant outrun the fork.

Van doesnt seem to have a problem with her fork like I do, but in order to get that lean look, the fat covering it has to be decreased. Weights can be used in sets of 8 generally, 3-5 sets of 8, increasing the weight of the free weights youre using as this forces the muscle to be taxed at the end of the set.

When I was considerably younger I weight trained, I did a stupid amount of reps at low weights, because I thought Id look like a German shotputter.

I have a natural abundance of muscle and am stronger than most women.

When I was skinny I could bench press my own weight, lift 350lbs over my head on a weight machine and use one of the incline machines to do leg presses of about 600-800lbs, anything pressed at an incline is 45% less heavy than the weight youre pressing.

I loved the mornings, just me and my walkman lol....and the weights.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

When I was going to the gym, which I'm now trying to work out a working schedule for it since the doctors okay, I found that working out actually helped to cut back on the appetite. I can't share the reasons for that because of not knowing any, though I'm sure there is one.

And another that cuts back on the appetite, at least for me. Field service! I kid you not. When out in service, I hardly eat, oh maybe a few raisins with walnuts, if it's hot I might grab an ice cream cone, mostly though I'll eat some bananas and just drink lots of water. I don't understand it but it's ok. This is not advocating field service to cut down on the eating. It's just what I've noticed.

Edited by Luezette

I have known for some time I eat in a response to stress. Ive internalized my grief, and to some degree I think instead of doing this I should be talking to Jehovah more about things.

I find I eat less in the field service too, namely because I dont take anything with me. Nor am I highly stressed. There is a sense of peace and purpose which fills me when I am in it. This also explains why it was so hard to step aside when my circumstances no longer permitted.

I feel like I am accomplishing Jehovahs will for me personally when there, and I know this isnt my imagination. I am an ambassador to Christ calling out for those to be reconciled to him. How can this occur if I'm not there. I feel guilty when I'm not out.

To return to the topic at hand, I also use a food and fitness tracker. I use loseit. I used to log my intake regularly and as soon as I stopped the weight started creeping back on. Like you Simon, I found muscle I hadnt used in years and started looking much trimmer.

One thing I hadnt counted on was the resistance from my husband. He made snarky comments and wasnt supportive in the least. Buying junk food, asking me why I was counting out my almonds etc. Youd think he would want a healthy happy wife.