JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New movie coming out: "God is Not Dead"

While channel surfing, I saw the end of a promo for a new movie called "God is Not Dead". I think it's about a guy in a class where teacher announces all must write on a piece of paper the words god is dead then turn it in. This guy refused. Teacher said prove it via a paper and then debate it in front of class (I think that was the storyline).

As we rapidly approach the Great Day of Jehovah, it made me wonder if I we're given such a task by some authority figure, what scriptures would I use.

Share with us what verses would you use.

Joshua 24:15 Now if it seems bad to you to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, whether the gods that your forefathers served on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amʹor·ites in whose land you are dwelling. But as for me and my household, we will serve Jehovah.”

I too saw the promo for that movie and my thought was, it's sad people have to have people tell them what they believe...Its like they need people to worship God for them...sigh

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I think it's about a guy in a class where teacher announces all must write on a piece of paper the words god is dead then turn it in. This guy refused. Teacher said prove it via a paper and then debate it in front of class (I think that was the storyline).

For the teacher to assume the God is dead, he had to first accept that God was alive. I think the burden of proof is on the teacher to explain how God died.

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

...... if I we're given such a task by some authority figure, what scriptures would I use.

Share with us what verses would you use.

Psalm 139:16Your eyes even saw me as an embryo;

All its parts were written in your book

Regarding the days when they were formed,

Before any of them existed.

Books contain information. Our experience of the world tells us that where there is information there is always an intelligent mind that produces that information.

Modern technology has discovered DNA and found it to be a ridiculously complex and information holding molecule. The amount of information contained in DNA is breathtaking and is staggeringly beautiful, complex and tiny. If our entire experience of information shows us there is an intelligent mind behind information then it stands to reason that DNA has been produced by an intelligent mind. It would take a great leap of faith and go against everything that we know about the world we live in to say otherwise.

(Romans 1:20) For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

The problem with having these discussions with an atheist is that you cannot often use the bible. They do not regard it with any type of authority so they will not even acknowledge any argument based on scripture. Does anyone have a good way to address the issue of God without using the bible? I always have trouble with that.

Edited by Brother Arellano

Thank you Brother Simon for using those Scriptures and your reasoning. Even the daily text last week talked about it and I like the brief discussion in September Awake magazine.

For the 100 trillion cells (the average human has) and most of them have dna in them is astonishing to fathom that a gram of dried dna material equals (if I recall is about a third of teaspoon) 1 trillion cd's (as far as data contained) is a good point to start from. As well as the speed and accuracy of it duplicating of itself throughout a humans lifetime. Let alone the larger things like planet, stars, galaxies, superclusters and let alone the known physical universe. There's a bunch of material to consider if one has an open mind and heart. My thoughts

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I have asked some if they believe in aliens. .. then I follow with "so do I" and approach the subject from that angle after all Jehovah, Jesus and the angels are extraterrestrial

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The problem with having these discussions with an atheist is that you cannot often use the bible. They do not regard it with any type of authority so they will not even acknowledge any argument based on scripture. Does anyone have a good way to address the issue of God without using the bible? I always have trouble with that.

You could just use the reasoning i gave above but without the scriptures.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I have always loved this simple illustration.  It's found on page 17 of the old, hot pink covered "Listening To The Great Teacher" book. (I'm dating myself, here. lol)

But if you cannot see God, how do you know that there really is a God?--Think about this.  Can you see the wind?--No.  Nobody can see the wind.  But you can see the things the wind does.  You can see the leaves move when the wind blows through the branches of a tree.  So you believe there is a wind.

For those who refuse to accept God's Word, I often just say: Creation requires a CREATOR.  Intelligent design requires an INTELLIGENT DESIGNER.  (Sneaking Hebrews 3:4 into the picture, anyway. ^_^ )

And leave it at that. :mellow: 

If the person refuses to accept logic :huh: and wants to remain unreasonable, I remind myself of this Peter Principle:  Never argue with a stupid person.  People watching might not be able to tell the difference between the two of you. :uhhuh: 

Either way, I leave. B)  

By the way, I think Peter borrowed his principle from Jesus' sermon on the mount: Matthew 7:6  :yes:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I would try to have a conversation .... something like - Can I ask you something? What do you think about the way life came into existence? then What do you think about ...? and I would give an example of a complex thing in creation and ask how could it be by chance 

this way you would see if he is really a convinced atheist or it's just that he had too many questions with no answer - if he is really a convinced atheist, you could appeal to his open-mindedness to leave a publication on the subject (this is the advice from the pioneers book), if not, he will probably raise some questions

sometimes, I asked from the beginning - Are you really a convinced atheist?

Edited by Adelin

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

I would ask the teacher if I could show the class a video - and I would show them the one that was featured on here - A Privileged Species - and ask the question even if people who do not believe in God or actively worship a god - admit that creation was designed .... then wouldn't it make sense to conclude that it was design with a purpose? Then I would present Hebrews 3:4 and explain Jehovah's original purpose - ending with Rev 21:3,4 and hand out brochures directing them all to jw.org.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I would ask the teacher if I could show the class a video - and I would show them the one that was featured on here - A Privileged Species - and ask the question even if people who do not believe in God or actively worship a god - admit that creation was designed .... then wouldn't it make sense to conclude that it was design with a purpose? Then I would present Hebrews 3:4 and explain Jehovah's original purpose - ending with Rev 21:3,4 and hand out brochures directing them all to jw.org.

Just watched the video. Very good. 

Unfortunately I realized something. California is causing us to endure climate change. With their destruction of all there plants so as to save water for their little fish, we are running out of plants to photosynthesize oxygen into the atmosphere!!!  Whatever are we going to do!?!?  :D

(sorry, working the night shift again friends  :wacko: )

Unfortunately I realized something. California is causing us to endure climate change. With their destruction of all there plants so as to save water for their little fish, we are running out of plants to photosynthesize oxygen into the atmosphere!!!  Whatever are we going to do!?!?  :D

How much oxygen producing ocean do you have where you live?

:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D