JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

$500 million for 6 homes Haiti

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3230 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Red Cross’ Haiti disgrace: Half a billion dollars spent, six homes built

The Red Cross received an outpouring of donations after the quake, nearly half a billion dollars.
The group has publicly celebrated its work. But in fact, the Red Cross has repeatedly failed on the ground in Haiti. Confidential memos, emails from worried top officers, and accounts of a dozen frustrated and disappointed insiders show the charity has broken promises, squandered donations, and made dubious claims of success.
The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people. But the actual number of permanent homes the group has built in all of Haiti: six.
After the earthquake, Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern unveiled ambitious plans to “develop brand-newcommunities.” None has ever been built....

This story was co-published with NPR. Mitzy-Lynn Hyacinthe contributed reporting. Design direction by David Sleight, production by Hannah Birch.
Read about how the Red Cross botched key elements of its mission after Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Isaac in PR Over People: The Red Cross' Secret Disaster. And about how the Red Cross' CEO has been serially misleading about where donors' dollars are going.
If you have information about the Red Cross or about other international aid projects, please email justin@propublica.org.
This article was written by Justin Elliott, Laura Sullivan and Propublica from Salon and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.

From news feed win 10 app

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I heard this story on NPR and told several people about it.  The Red Cross can't even say with any degree of certainty where all that money actually went.  They just make broad statements about the money but have no real accounting for it to the penny.  The story I heard said that 1/3 of the 500 million went towards administrative fees for the Red Cross and other charities it gave the money to to dish out.  That's over 166 million just to pay people to decide where the money goes and then get the help there.  Truly disgusting. The only people who benefited from all those good hearted people donating money to the Red Cross for the Haitians were the Red Cross.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102010446?q=PROVIDING+HOMES+FOR+VICTIMS&p=par

In the first few months following the quake, 1,500 homes had already been built by the Witnesses for those who had lost theirs.

To whom should we give charity donations?   :yes: 

Edited by Adelin

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

I only give actual food, and tracts to beggars in my area. I saw a special on the fact that there are actually large numbers of people who get dressed in their beggar clothes every day and dirty up and go out and beg and make more money than many people do at a full time job and tax free. Satan is everywhere.

I only give actual food, and tracts to beggars in my area. I saw a special on the fact that there are actually large numbers of people who get dressed in their beggar clothes every day and dirty up and go out and beg and make more money than many people do at a full time job and tax free. Satan is everywhere.

Sadly it is not new. Even the stories of Sherlock Holmes, from a 100 years ago, had one called "The Man With the Twisted Lip" who lived a gentleman's life who was a professional beggar.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)