JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

smile.amazon donations

I know several months ago this question was asked...but I don't remember an answer was ever given.  I tried to search on the forum but couldn't find the thread.

The question is:  Does the branch receive the donation when you click on the PopUp that asks if you want to donate to The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York when you are about to place an order on Amazon.  

If you say Yes, it goes to Smile.Amazon URL.

So I called the branch today to ask before I placed an order.  I've always chosen not to donate because I wasn't sure who it was going to.  

But...the brother said they DO receive a donation through Amazon.  It is .05% from all orders when you go through the "smile.amazon" when you place an order.  

I'm so glad I know that little tidbit...

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

• 2 months later...

I have used amazon several times. Both the ".co.uk" / ".es" and ".com" variations and was never asked about any donations... Today, just by entering on the site, this pop up appeared! I thought it was strange... how do they know I'm a JW? :)

Are we the only ones receiving donations from amazon?

amazon2.jpg

Edited by jayrtom

I have used amazon several times. Both the ".co.uk" / ".es" and ".com" variations and was never asked about any donations... Today, just by entering on the site, this pop up appeared! I thought it was strange... how do they know I'm a JW?

Are we the only ones receiving donations from amazon?

amazon2.jpg

They usually can tell quite a lot about their customers from the sites they visit, which is managed through, for example, text-files such as cookies.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

If you are using Chrome Browser, Google knows - since you come here and perhaps jw.org (or at least it guesses you are) - so, it let's Amazon know when you visit so the ads and such (like the donations) can be tailored to your interests (needs)

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I was just on Amazon.com and got this message

59c599bfc8171_AmazonSmileNo.thumb.png.ab3c7a69df89788ffaa4ac8ca3db489b.png

What a shame ..... I don't have any other charity I feel like donating to :shrugs:

I am thinking that the Amazon folks are not aware that our organization is very involved with relief projects earthwide, and maybe they are wanting people to donate to the Red Cross, etc.:lol:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Amazon requires the charity to meet certain criteria ..... maybe they changed their requirements and the Branch decided not to continue with the program.

Then again, it could simply be that, with the move to Warwick, they have not updated the information to reflect whatever the actual name of the charity to stay eligible.

I guess, unless someone calls the Branch to inquire, we may not know why

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 23/09/2017 at 7:39 AM, Hope said:

Never fear...  :D

Capture.JPG.6e0850dba2790c72e24e046b2d56f5f2.JPG

On mine it has 'Christian', not Protestant, though there are 3 congregations listed there, 1 in Indianopolis and 2 in Philidelphia that are all listed as 'Protestant'.  Makes me wonder if they are actually genuine ... no apostrophe before the 's'.

AmazonSmile.thumb.png.814b30ab321a8b09abbda3ef65fa2c8f.png

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

4 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

On mine it has 'Christian', not Protestant, though there are 3 congregations listed there, 1 in Indianopolis and 2 in Philidelphia that are all listed as 'Protestant'.  Makes me wonder if they are actually genuine ... no apostrophe before the 's'.

The information Amazon has is pulled from the government list of legally registered charity organizations, so it's safe to say that any charity listed is going to be a legitimate listing, not some apostate group or church of christendom committing numerous federal crimes just to get a few dollars in errant donations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, If the org doesn't want it I'm fine with that. I don't purchase from Amazon so I can give to the society. I buy because it's a good price, convenient, etc.

Personal decision.

You are receiving this email because in the past you have purchased at smile.amazon.com in support of these charitable organizations:

Christian Congregation Of Jehovah's Witnesses (EIN: 22-3765681)
Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York (EIN: 11-1753577)

We are not able to issue donations to these organizations. Charities are not able to receive donations if they choose not to participate in the AmazonSmile program, or if they do not meet eligibility requirements. Since you are currently supporting a different AmazonSmile charity: Jah-Jireh Homes of America (EIN: 27-4165896), we will reallocate the donations generated by these previous smile.amazon.com purchases to Jah-Jireh Homes of America (EIN: 27-4165896).

Remember, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible items purchased at smile.amazon.com. For more information on the program, go to smile.amazon.com/about.

Thank you very much and you do not need to take any action.

The donations can now go to Assembly Halls.  They have changed because of legal reasons in the structure of the name of the Charity.

Mine is Orangeburg South Carolina Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are a few more listed.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

On 11/7/2017 at 3:27 PM, Brenda said:

The donations can now go to Assembly Halls.  They have changed because of legal reasons in the structure of the name of the Charity.

Mine is Orangeburg South Carolina Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are a few more listed.

You mentioned a 'few more listed'.   Where do I find a list?  I don't think my state has an AH but I'd love to contribute to one.  Thanks.  

I just went to 'smile.amazon.com' and searched for "Jehovah's Witnesses"...there are 146 listed.  They include congregations and Assembly Halls.  

It may look different now for me since I already have one listed.  If you have problems locating...let me know.