JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Just See Yourself..." a book by Thomas Walker

I confess that, outside of our own literature as Jehovah's Witnesses, I read very specific books, magazines and/or novels that excite my mind and my imagination.  "Just See Yourself" literally took me away from this "OS of things"--if only for a little awhile-- as I immersed myself in this novel. I was captivated by the main characters and was even "gobsmacked" a few times throughout the story! (Lol..I learned a new word this week.)  Thank you Brother for a great read! I will be sharing your work with my family and friends.

I can just imagine a sequel for this as well! :)

On 2/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, Thomas Walker said:

My whole life, we've been told to 'keep our eyes on the prize'. This book began as a form of personal study, and grew to a full sized novel.

I think that is a wonderful idea to help visualize the future. I think family heads could encourage their family member to write stories about the future and share them at Family Worship. I plan to pick specific aspects of the future and write short stories about them as part of my personal study.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brother Walker!!!  Wonderful!  I got to page three and had to stop to tell you I will be sharing this book soon with a co-worker.  She is a troubled young woman who took on the responsibility of adopting her drug addict sisters two small children to give them a safe, nurturing environment in which to live.  They have been living with her four years now. In the meantime, her sister got pregnant again and had another little boy.  He was two.  It hit the headline news Monday night of a woman dropping off a 'young boy' at the ER then taking flight.  The police released a video image of the woman, who is my co-workers sister.  Two days later at 4 am this morning the breaking news is this child died.  It appears his mother, sister to my co-worker- is being charged with neglect and her neighbors are being charged for his abuse and murder.  The mother 'had a habit of leaving him with anyone' in search of drugs. My co-worker is devastated because she is blaming herself for not taking him out of this deadly situation. She is beyond consolable.  Even though this young child was not around at the beginning of her fight to remove the other two children she is devastated and blaming herself for his death.  She said she was 'just too tired and selfish' to try to assume the care of another child and now her 'guilt' is consuming her.  She is wracked with 'what ifs'.  I don't know when I will see her again because she is day shift and I am nights but I had been thinking of ways prior to this to witness to her.  I now have my way.  It may be awhile but I will let you know what transpires.  What a burden to be freed from in thinking of the way this child would feel at the time of his resurrection!  Thank you!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 3 weeks later...

BUY THIS BOOK RECOMMENDATION 

I read the first four chapters and ordered the paperback Verizon from Amazon. I highly recommend this book. It really helps you picture what the new world could be like and makes it more real. My thoughts on the new order have always been in my mind, this book helped me see it more with my heart and form a more emotional connection to our prize. I really want to be there to be part of the world described in the book. I can read science fiction books forever, but the worlds they describe will never come to pass since they are just fiction. But the coming paradise is real and will be here soon which makes this book very exciting to read. I want my kids to read this book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Or he could even do a 2nd 500 years (as this book covers "only" the 1st 500). It would be interesting to get into the idea of possible unrest due to land divisions - especially as this pertains to the Jews and even returning ones from the Middle East. I am sure there would be people for or against those on different sides. This seems to be a large part of the discontent even now. Add in some possible overcrowding or assignments taht ones do NOT want and there is quite the powder keg ready to explode. Also, perhaps even some discontent over who actually gets credited for inventions or music or art - this too is often the beginning of pride and then discontent. That final judgement day should be interesting. I have a feeling it will eliminate quite a few people - so, the concept regularly brought up about the possibility of overcrowding would / could be handled thru that as well.

I loved the weaving of technology thru it as well - a database for things and some monetary means of trade - only makes sense - excellent!

I loved the idea of jobs and how work could be traded for various things (this is where the use of money again makes trade so much easier). Thinking about this – travel would be a good job. Many are interesting in going all over. There would surely be a need for food service and cleaning. What a thing to volunteer for in the New World  hmmm.

I am not sure about dinosaurs coming back - primarily due to the land area these animals need. But that will be an interesting thing to see - one way or the other.

I also loved the use of aging for the undecided - fascinating idea. As well as how to handle the unborn / newly born. I am certain Jehovah will some amazing way to handle this.

My only issue was the complete removal of the circle of life. I seem to be in the minority that believes this will still take place. Sick and dying animals need a way to be removed – if only to reduce the awful stench they create when dead. I can’t imagine us being required to bury every single animal that ever dies. And if this still takes place – so would the eating of meat by humans – as Jehovah gave as a gift. I am still baffled that ones see Him as a person who would take back a gift once given.

Animals will still die. Which made me think of how some might have a distaste for pets – that DIE on us – like one of the characters. I loved that plot line and found it fascinating. I am certain we will have a WAY BETTER view of animal life then.

I look forward to the New World and this gave me that much more to think about when meditating on it. Thank you!!!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

33 minutes ago, trottigy said:

As well as how to handle the unborn / newly born. I am certain Jehovah will some amazing way to handle this.

I know of many women (including my own mother) who had suffered the devastating effect of losing an unborn child (via miscarriage or stillbirth.)  Life is sacred to Jehovah.  And I've always pondered over the years how God, in his mercifulness,  would resolve this issue for many mothers coming back.  (Personally, to know that I had a brother or sister who died in utero makes me sad.  He (or she) could have been a best friend for me! )-_-

On 2/18/2017 at 11:04 PM, Thomas Walker said:

This is one of the most common points that readers actually disagree with. I'd like to take the opportunity to explain why I put it in.

The reasoning for it is that money will still be practical, if not necessary.

There has never been any version of human society that wasn't determined to overcome scarcity. Every single culture has been wrapped around the acquisition of something. In many places, that something is still as simple as food and water. Other places, it's oil and gold. 

But in Paradise, all the basic needs are met. Food, water, clothing, housing. All provided in full. We know that. It's promised in scripture. There's none of the cost-of-living stresses of the day.

But in my story, pretty much everyone also takes advantage of eternal life to pursue a passion. Restoring antique planes, mastering an instrument, etc. These are things we'll be able to provide for ourselves.

There has never been a post-scarcity society. I figured that old fashioned barter will take care of a lot, but for a planet full of people who are all brothers, even across the world, each with interests and passions as varied as the people are themselves, there will be no reason not to have some kind of economy. It won't be one where people are exploited or poverty-stricken, but barter won't do it all the time.

To use Hugh as an example: If he needs a very specific part for his plane, and can only find one left; what if it's being held by someone he's never met? What could he have that the other guy wants? How is he to ship his barter across the world?

Without that part, he will still never fear going without anything he really needs, but having a currency of some kind? It's not necessary, but it's practical. How many times in my story did I even mention money? It's a useful thing, but nobody needs it.

Put aside a coin a month, and after a hundred years, a thousand, then thousand, a million; nobody will have to 'love money' to have an abundance. And if nobody has greed in their hearts, then money stays where it belongs: A servant, instead of a master.

And, once again, this was just my reasoning. If I was wrong, I look forward to finding out!

Agreed.  Friends seem to flip out at the idea or mention of "money" or some medium of exchange in the New World.  I think it only makes sense... thank you for your thoughts! :)

On 5/23/2017 at 3:30 AM, trottigy said:

Or he could even do a 2nd 500 years (as this book covers "only" the 1st 500). It would be interesting to get into the idea of possible unrest due to land divisions - especially as this pertains to the Jews and even returning ones from the Middle East. I am sure there would be people for or against those on different sides. This seems to be a large part of the discontent even now. Add in some possible overcrowding or assignments taht ones do NOT want and there is quite the powder keg ready to explode. Also, perhaps even some discontent over who actually gets credited for inventions or music or art - this too is often the beginning of pride and then discontent. That final judgement day should be interesting. I have a feeling it will eliminate quite a few people - so, the concept regularly brought up about the possibility of overcrowding would / could be handled thru that as well.

Well, the original book actually had a part five, which skipped ahead to the end of the thousand years. But this was a fairly jarring change, and the book was already 500 pages, so I left it out. But it covered some of that.

There is another book in the works, but there's been a lot of interest in a prequel, so the next book will cover Year 1, to Year 200. JSY covered Year 200 to Year 500...

And if I'm honest, I may use the discarded part 5 as an outline for a third book, set at the end of the thousand years.

I loved the weaving of technology thru it as well - a database for things and some monetary means of trade - only makes sense - excellent!

I loved the idea of jobs and how work could be traded for various things (this is where the use of money again makes trade so much easier). Thinking about this – travel would be a good job. Many are interesting in going all over. There would surely be a need for food service and cleaning. What a thing to volunteer for in the New World  hmmm.

My dad and I have spent hours debating tech in the new System. But it wasn't until i started writing it that I finally figured out what made the most sense, if for no other reason than we'll have millions of people who don't know the earth is round, alongside the original Apollo Astronauts. It just made sense that the whole spectrum of tech would be there too.

I am not sure about dinosaurs coming back - primarily due to the land area these animals need. But that will be an interesting thing to see - one way or the other.

For all the interest given to the T-Rex and Triceratops, Paleontologists insist that the huge animals were a small minority, and that most dinosaurs were about the size of a house cat; for exactly that reason. If they all come back, it's not like there will be billions of the huge ones.

I also loved the use of aging for the undecided - fascinating idea. As well as how to handle the unborn / newly born. I am certain Jehovah will some amazing way to handle this.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:13 AM, Omo_Yeme said:

I know of many women (including my own mother) who had suffered the devastating effect of losing an unborn child (via miscarriage or stillbirth.)  Life is sacred to Jehovah.  And I've always pondered over the years how God, in his mercifulness,  would resolve this issue for many mothers coming back.  (Personally, to know that I had a brother or sister who died in utero makes me sad.  He (or she) could have been a best friend for me! )-_-

A very loaded topic. When I was writing the book, I wasn't sure if I should even mention it. But I know people who have suffered such tragedies too, so I had to offer something.

According to the World Health Organization, there are 40-50 million abortions performed every year. In the USA, 22% of pregnancies are aborted; and that's not even counting miscarriages.*

*(Source: http://www.worldometers.info/abortions/)

Also, consider that Abortion was only legalized in the USA in the 60's, which means most of the people who have them are from the last two generations, and thus may well still be around when A-Day hits. That's 125,000 unborn kids a day with no parents left for them to meet if/when they come back.

It was a topic I couldn't ignore, but also had no solution for. Having the unborn get the same Resurrection into loving adoptive homes was the best answer I could come up with. Not a solution that will satisfy everyone concerned, but it seemed the most compassionate route.

My only issue was the complete removal of the circle of life. I seem to be in the minority that believes this will still take place. Sick and dying animals need a way to be removed – if only to reduce the awful stench they create when dead. I can’t imagine us being required to bury every single animal that ever dies. And if this still takes place – so would the eating of meat by humans – as Jehovah gave as a gift. I am still baffled that ones see Him as a person who would take back a gift once given.

Well, this is a topic that I will spend more time on in the next book, but the idea I had was that Paradise would be a return to the way things were always meant to be. Obviously, not all at once, and I kinda doubt we'd go back to the 'naked and unashamed, not knowing Good and Evil' state we were in before.

(Side note, I vaguely remember an article, or a scripture that said the 'Knowledge of Good And Evil' would have been given to humans at some point in God's timetable if Adam and Eve had just been patient; but I can't find that reference. Does anyone have it?)

In fact, if I'm honest, I don't know if we'd all go vegetarian, but the meat industry today is responsible for more climate damage and water usage than the entire automobile industry put together. if we all went vegetarian right now, Climate Change would be a thing of the past. So even if meat was allowed, it'd be a much smaller part of our diet. In fact, I've made the joke several times over the years that if we all had to go vegetarian, the human race would quickly find an alternative. The Faux-Meat in my story came in at the 500 year mark, but I'd be surprised if it took that long; come the real thing.

There are only two reasons God gives us restrictions. That's for our safety, or our benefit. I wonder about some of the restrictions Brothers have now; and I wonder if some

of them would be unnecessary in the New System, when we're all in perfect health; the same way Christians are allowed to eat un-Kosher meals or work on the Sabbath, when once upon a time, God forbade it.

I look forward to the New World and this gave me that much more to think about when meditating on it. Thank you!!!

Many thanks for the kind words. If I can make the New World more real to anyone, it's a job well done.

Since I've got everyone here, fact-check something for me.

Alec's character is married. Did I ever actually give his wife a name? I vaguely remember doing so, but I've searched the finished product cover to cover and found nothing, so i think I may have 'deleted' that scene.

Just now, Thomas Walker said:

Since I've got everyone here, fact-check something for me.

Alec's character is married. Did I ever actually give his wife a name? I vaguely remember doing so, but I've searched the finished product cover to cover and found nothing, so i think I may have 'deleted' that scene.

I don't remember one...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Dages said:

Checked too. No wife name.

This is about Alec story? I'm so glad! Let me guess, it will finish on a beach in France... Hehehe.

Alec, among others. This book will differ from the last in that it will follow multiple people.

And yes, the book seemed like an appropriate place to end. :-)

21 hours ago, Dages said:

Ok so you haven't started yet? ^^

I've started, but writing a book doesn't happen on a schedule. Some days I can't figure out words, some days I write ten pages. I've got a page for the last chapter, two pages for the prologue, and a conversation for the ending. Regular posts is what happens when I have a lot more material, in sequence.