JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Just See Yourself..." a book by Thomas Walker

With less than a week to go, the Synopsis Page and the Table of Contents Page have both been updated with the new book.

Amazon Royalties are such that to get more then 30% of the book; I have to set the Price at a certain amount or higher.

JSY went up for as cheap as I could set it, and the following two books a little higher. Set Free is Part One of a Two Part finale (But can easily be read as a standalone book) so I was thinking of setting the price at about $3.50 USD.

Too high? As a rule, I prefer round numbers, the extra fifty cents is for the convenience of other nations, because of exchange rates to other Amazon marketplaces around the world with different currencies.

There's precedent. Pretty much all series gives the first volume away for a song, and then raise the price to 'bestseller' rates by the third book or so. But even after three or four years of working on these books; I'm still leery about charging for a New System Story.

The books will be available free on my blog as usual; this is purely to give people a place to show financial support; and get a cloud edition synced through Amazon. My concern is that if I put the price up too high, it'll drive down sales.

So, if I can inquire of the hivemind? $3.50? $3 even?

Considering the quality of your writing and the content,

your books are a bargain--at any price. :D 

I'd gladly fork over five bucks for a digital copy of your books.❤️

But I prefer the paperbacks. :D 

Of course, if the physical books are not available, I will download the digital versions.

Set the price you need to set, Brother Walker.  Considering all the time and effort you

put into telling your stories, you deserve to be financially compensated. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I think you're right with your pricing,  I prefer to see consistent pricing rather than as you describe, free then a huge hike etc....

I'm looking forward to seeing your new book out there 😊

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Considering all the time and effort you

put into telling your stories, you deserve to be financially compensated. :D 

Well, that's the thing, it's not just about compensation, it's also about availability...

57 minutes ago, anniebea said:

I think you're right with your pricing,  I prefer to see consistent pricing rather than as you describe, free then a huge hike etc....

And that's why. JWs aren't the only people who read these books. I have pioneers telling me that relatives in other religions won't even discuss the possibility of a study, but they do read these, because they're novels.

And Annie, I hate it too. Some of my favorite series start at 99c, get popular, and book 3 is $12. When you've got a bestseller, you know people will pay it, and of course the Publisher takes a cut once you hit the big time.

That won't happen here. These last two books are to wrap the series. So, is a hike of a dollar too mercenary, or likely to cause anyone to just keep walking? I dont just mean the folks on this forum. In everyone's experience, is $3.50 a mark against? 

I very rarely buy books nowadays, but I used to collect some sci-fi novels secondhand for around $3-5. If I still read anything, I'm more inclined to wait for it to come to audiobook at the library. I'm quite cheap when it comes to entertainment in general, I don't go to movies or restaurants. But having read your books, I would gladly pay full price for the physical versions of your novels. I just prefer the portable digital experience. As long as it's there, I'll buy it, because it's a purchase that will have zero buyer's remorse. The common trope nowadays is 'It's the price of a coffee'. Go for it.

Edited by Myew

47 minutes ago, Myew said:

I very rarely buy books nowadays, but I used to collect some sci-fi novels secondhand for around $3-5. If I still read anything, I'm more inclined to wait for it to come to audiobook at the library. I'm quite cheap when it comes to entertainment in general, I don't go to movies or restaurants. But having read your books, I would gladly pay full price for the physical versions of your novels. I just prefer the portable digital experience. As long as it's there, I'll buy it, because it's a purchase that will have zero buyer's remorse. The common trope nowadays is 'It's the price of a coffee'. Go for it.

As a sci-fi fan myself, I certainly understand what you mean, although I usually pick up something at the thrift store, they are still $1.99. I have slowed that reading considerably but still find things that have good imagination and story telling. And that is what our brother has here! Whether one agrees with the likelihood of the future matching a story’s circumstances, or what we may individually think, seeing the story in writing gives our mind something to focus on and paint our own picture of that future that the slave encourages us to see ourselves in.

9 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

So, if I can inquire of the hivemind? $3.50? $3 even?

Are you kidding? Cup of coffee in Melbourne is $4, newspaper is ....something -something, (I bought bottled water in NZ for $5 bucks! ...those Kiwis hmm :whistling:

Easily you can put it for $3.95 (I consider this cheap) 

Just tell them that Greg is throwing a donut with each sale (fine print: they have to pick it up at my place LOL) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Are you kidding? Cup of coffee in Melbourne is $4, newspaper is ....something -something, (I bought bottled water in NZ for $5 bucks! ...those Kiwis hmm :whistling:

Easily you can put it for $3.95 (I consider this cheap) 

Just tell them that Greg is throwing a donut with each sale (fine print: they have to pick it up at my place LOL) 

$3.50 USD. Don't be surprised if it's just over $5 here in Oz.

14 minutes ago, Margaret said:

Such a gift in Thomas Walker and EK Jonathan’s books. I hope they never stop.

EKJ is working on his next one. So am I. There'll be at least one more.

The next book after 'Set Free' will round out the Series, but there'll likely be novellas and shorter stories added later, as I think of them. The flaw of the Paradise books is that Paradise is the setting and main character, so the structure never really changes. There's only so many times you can tell the same story.

8 hours ago, Margaret said:

I hope they never stop.

I hope they get some relief. I'm fairly sure they both hope for the day that they no longer have to write what may be in order to cope with the present. 😺

Edited by Myew

• 3 weeks later...

Brother Walker, do you happen to have a book about a pandemic sweeping the planet and how people reacted to it? How some brothers listen to the elders and some dont? And possibly how the nations united to stop it and then declared Peace and Security? Then the government's turn on religion?

I think that would be an interesting fictional story....😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Brother Walker, do you happen to have a book about a pandemic sweeping the planet and how people reacted to it? How some brothers listen to the elders and some dont? And possibly how the nations united to stop it and then declared Peace and Security? Then the government's turn on religion?

Maybe for the intro of book 5 :D 

36 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Perhaps there could be a section where the world religions start declaring a doomsday message and say God caused the pestilence,  so the government bans religion because it is creating panic.

Then a vaccination is developed but it uses blood, so Jehovah Witnesses refuse to get vaccinated and are arrested and sequestered separately...

Wow, that would be an interesting fictional story... 🤣😂

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/13/2020 at 12:41 AM, Bro Richard said:

Sounds like a great story, though I'm worried it might have to be moved to the non-fiction section...

On 3/13/2020 at 1:22 AM, Bro Richard said:

Perhaps there could be a section where the world religions start declaring a doomsday message and say God caused the pestilence,  so the government bans religion because it is creating panic.

Then a vaccination is developed but it uses blood, so Jehovah Witnesses refuse to get vaccinated and are arrested and sequestered separately...

Wow, that would be an interesting fictional story... 🤣😂

Bro Richard... Sounds like you've just plotted your first bestseller.

10 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I'm currently reading Just see yourself (Bought it in Amazon) I'm enjoying it. 

And translated some pieces of it and sent it to some of my friends and they liked it! 

My thanks for sharing it around. Glad you're enjoying it.

Translation is something I'm just not set up for. Internet translators are notorious for getting things wrong. And since I only speak english, I wouldn't be able to double check anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

My hard copy. I read it twice, and passed it on as a gift, to someone I knew would enjoy it. 
I’m now reading it a third time on my tablet. Obviously, I’m a reader! And, I want to occupy my mind with something I enjoy. 
Yes, once I sit down, I throughly enjoy my personal study. 
This is in addition to trying to keep my mind busy. With good things. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!