JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Warwick site contaminated

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3234 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

At the time the Wallkill construction project was started, the land was thought to be clean. It was only after the contamination was discovered in 2007 that the notification and cleanup process began. (This goes for any organization that discovers contamination.)

If the branch had sold the land prior to 2007, they would have sold it as good land as well, just as INCO did, and they would be on the receiving end of an identical lawsuit.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm still not seeing why the slave needs to display excessive unscriptural greed and call for excessive punishment against INCO, especially when our brothers have committed the exact same offense with no serious ramifications...

Are these facts or assumptions?

By reading these two articles that were presented to us, then how far should we go in order to find out it is facts or assumptions?

1. We had to look at the time frame.

2. What was presented to the brothers at Warrick.

3. Were brothers willing to buy contanimated land if known? Hardly.

Believe me, the Jury or Judge will have to look at the Facts and Law. What is sad asumptions come into play too.

1. We had to look at the time frame.

Both organizations contaminated the land in the 1970s. Both contamination sites were discovered recently.

2. What was presented to the brothers at Warrick.

The Wallkill contamination was unknown at the time the project started. The point of burying chemicals is not to keep records and notify officials as soon as legally required, the point is to forget about the issue entirely, and both organizations did exactly that.

Believe me, the Jury or Judge will have to look at the Facts and Law.

The likely facts are that INCO caused the contamination, and the law states that the person or organization responsible for contamination must pay for cleanup efforts.

However, the law does NOT say that the new owner is allowed to display excessive greed beyond actual cleanup and associated costs, or that the responsible party should be harshly punished for something that was not a crime at the time the contamination took place.

At the time the Wallkill construction project was started, the land was thought to be clean. It was only after the contamination was discovered in 2007 that the notification and cleanup process began. (This goes for any organization that discovers contamination.)

If the branch had sold the land prior to 2007, they would have sold it as good land as well, just as INCO did, and they would be on the receiving end of an identical lawsuit.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm still not seeing why the slave needs to display excessive unscriptural greed and call for excessive punishment against INCO, especially when our brothers have committed the exact same offense with no serious ramifications...

Savro

The word "IF' is a word, that doen't come in to play. They saw what they did and took care of it. Jehovah doesn't leave his people go unpunish when they mistake like this. When the brothers find out what they did, they took measures to correct it and Jehovah make sure of this. Even the company I work to measures to get rid of ebestos. They clean their mistake. INCO dion't clean their mistake.

INCO dion't clean their mistake.

And if INCO pays for the cleanup efforts, their obligation will be legally and morally fulfilled.

Since we do not yet have any information about their response, isn't it a bit early to start condemning them for assumed inaction?

Both organizations contaminated the land in the 1970s. Both contamination sites were discovered recently.

The Wallkill contamination was unknown at the time the project started. The point of burying chemicals is not to keep records and notify officials as soon as legally required, the point is to forget about the issue entirely, and both organizations did exactly that.

The likely facts are that INCO caused the contamination, and the law states that the person or organization responsible for contamination must pay for cleanup efforts.

However, the law does NOT say that the new owner is allowed to display excessive greed beyond actual cleanup and associated costs, or that the responsible party should be harshly punished for something that was not a crime at the time the contamination took place.

You missing the whole picture:

1. Who admit of making their mistakes?

2. Walkill DID NOT forget the issue. They took on this. It was them that pick up the phone; INCO didn't

3. Yes, the law does not says this or that of what you mentioned, but FACTS do. We have to see what happen in the courts.

3. Yes, the law does not says this or that of what you mentioned, but FACTS do.

Neither the law, nor facts, nor the Scriptures allow for the slave to display excessive unscriptural greed and harsh unjust punishment against INCO.

So why are we calling for unscriptural punishment when the slave has found the law to be sufficient?

Edited by Stavro

Stravo,Is there something in the news report about this lawsuit that indicates the slave is being greedy? Or are you responding to other posts in this topic?

You know more about this than I do and I agree 100% about the legal process but I just don't personally assume that it was a known issue and the legal process was planned. It could have easily been discovered during construction and the legal process is just part of the process to get it resolved.

Just my opinion and it's based on my experience working in oil refineries and seeing old oil and chemicals releases being discovered even after an extensive EPA report was done. Other than that I have no experience with sales agreements and the possibility the lawsuit was planned.

Maybe someday we'll find out.  That's interesting about the oil refineries.  So, perhaps, the contamination was greater than the surveys revealed at Warwick.

Neither the law, nor facts, nor the Scriptures allow for the slave to display excessive unscriptural greed and harsh unjust punishment against INCO.

So why are we calling for unscriptural punishment when the slave has found the law to be sufficient?

Somehow you put the Bible into this. When comes to lawsuit like this the bible has no role. When talking about lawsuit and greed; first you have to file the suit and it cost thousands to do this, so greed start in the courts first, then the lawyeres on the defensive side is second, because they have to defend you and it doen't cost heap at all.

Maybe someday we'll find out.  That's interesting about the oil refineries.  So, perhaps, the contamination was greater than the surveys revealed at Warwick.

The laws for hazardous waste have changed a lot, what was legal at one time may be illegal now. Hunting down contamination is like hunting for gold, it isn't easy and I think it's safe to assume the full extent of the contamination was unknown. So i am assuming the legal process is just a normal process to ensure the waste gets cleaned up and the responsible party (legal term) pays for it. Using the legal process doesn't imply guilt or greed, your example of the two brothers illustrates that.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Th problem with the law is that you can be not guilty, but really be guilty and that is where no contest come in.

The law can also protect the innocent and provide a means for issues to be settled. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Also, the law does not protect the guilty ones too.

Ok my brother, your point of view confuses me and I can live with that.

This is me slowly leaving this conversation...

Ok my brother, your point of view confuses me and I can live with that.

This is me slowly leaving this conversation...

I'm not confused here and  I'm sorry if you are. Take for instance, if you go to a gas station and hold it up without a mask and right front of a camera, then see how much the law is going to protect you. It is simple as that.

There is no guilt in a civil suit, only liability.

This sort of situation is far more common than we might realize, but settling the situation legally takes some paperwork filed with the courts. Since the slave is not seeking arbitrary punishment against INCO beyond their actual costs, I think we can safely put away the torches and pitchforks.

There is no guilt in a civil suit, only liability.

This sort of situation is far more common than we might realize, but settling the situation legally takes some paperwork filed with the courts. Since the slave is not seeking arbitrary punishment against INCO beyond their actual costs, I think we can safely put away the torches and pitchforks.

True.

Inco has it lawyers and so do we ...THEY will work it out.. We are not into ambulance chasing or frivolous law suites... Jehovah's people have got more important things to occupy their time and money with.. It will work out to the glory of Jehovah .... Not to men

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Jehovah's people have got more important things to occupy their time and money with.. It will work out to the glory of Jehovah .... Not to men

Agreed. That's one reason why I've only observed this topic and haven't said /mentioned anything until now. I trust the FDS with the master's interests /belongings. It's in GOOD HANDS. ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible