JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Living in the world’s most expensive country

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3174 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Annual world consumer price index found the cost of living in Australia is more expensive than most other places.

https://www.amp.com.au/news/2015/july/living-in-the-worlds-most-expensive-country?extcmp=NI-outbrain---australia-most-expensive-country-jul15

Do you feel that life is expensive where you live?

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Annual world consumer price index found the cost of living in Australia is more expensive than most other places.

https://www.amp.com.au/news/2015/july/living-in-the-worlds-most-expensive-country?extcmp=NI-outbrain---australia-most-expensive-country-jul15

Do you feel that life is expensive where you live?

Canada has areas which are more expensive than others. Most often the cost of living matches the wages people earn. They're thinking of raising minimum wage to $15/hr here. Which would be better, for a bit until businesses raise their prices. Their bottom line needs to stay the same or they either raise prices or cut staff. Our government is under a hiring freeze, etc.

Anyhow getting back on topic, Edmonton - rents have become hideously expensive because people are greedy. However staples like milk and bread aren't too bad.

We aren't as cheap as the U.S. though by any means, we are heavily taxed on gas and food comparatively. Plus sin taxes, on liquor and smokes.... I think they should tax these things and fast food to the fullest, we have a publically funded health care system and the onus needs to be put back on the people to take care of themselves physically (me included)..

Australia is the most expensive country to live in. These days it’s 12% more expensive than the United States, while India is the cheapest of the 19 countries examined.

Wow, I would have thought the US would be the highest. Remind me not to move to Australia :eek:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I would of thought Alaska would of been the most expensive place to live (although it is a state and not a country).  They must of averaged it in with the rest of the states to get a "country-wide" figure on how expensive it would be to live in the states and Austrailia still came out on top!  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Sharon is right in regards to Canada. Prices are in comparison to the distance you are from certain cities. As an example, British Columbia has high priced housing and taxes on everything that make Alberta look like a treat to live in. In Vancouver, for example a million dollars will only buy a level of house above junk. Lots go for around $800,000. this doesn't reflect the rest of Canada. Vancouver is the second costliest place on the planet next to Hong Kong. But the rest of the housing in our province reflects the distance you live from Vancouver. However, wages do not reflect the cost of living here. Not even close.

Other cities would be Calgary and Toronto. Edmonton's prices probably reflect the price increase due to the proximity to the tar sands in Gran Prairie thereby making it ludicrously expensive.

Greed and selfishness are all over. Sure wouldn't want to be a young couple in this world today. Don't think many of them will ever be able to get into their first house without putting themselves into excessive debt.

I would of thought Alaska would of been the most expensive place to live (although it is a state and not a country). They must of averaged it in with the rest of the states to get a "country-wide" figure on how expensive it would be to live in the states and Austrailia still came out on top!

I don't think Alaska is that expensive compared to New York City or any coast city in California. Many go there to hide out and to live "off the grid". That kind of living is fairly cheap.

But I agree - they were talking about price per country - rather than individual states to n each. :thumbsup:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It's very reasonable here.  Diesel is 2.37 a gallon and premium petro is 2.87 while a gallon of milk is around 4.00.  You can get a very nice home for around 300,000. and a million will get you a GREAT home.  Wages are low, about $7.00 hr less than what I made in LA for nursing jobs but I can afford my home here.  A home in LA was just a dream.  Our rent was high--the last place was $5000.00 month and that just came around all too often--LOL.  Car insurance was high, gas, food, you name it.  Wages did not compensate for that much.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Here in Ontario our house would be worth double at least in Toronto. Its worth about $225,000 now here in Kitchener. Its a small 2 bedroom bungalow. Minimum wage here is a joke. $11 an hour but gas is worth $1.18 a liter now. So it takes me about $80 to fill up my Honda ridgeline. Butter is over $3 a pound on average. A 4 liter bag of milk is about $5 a bag. 

Take out price for gas and Multiply it by 3.78 and you will get what we pay per gallon. However we are at an exchange rate of about 24 cents now so take that and you get our real price. That will be about $5.53 a US Gallon in US dollars. Our groceries have gone up about 30% in the last year. Not fun.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green