JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm thinking about going on a cruise next year. It will be my first cruise ever, outside of taking my kids, when younger, on one when the "Floating Hospital" was in operation. The one I'm considering is called "Cruise to Nowhere." It's basically a 1-3 night cruise with no ports, though it certainly won't be for one night because I can't see paying that money for just one night. :(

Anyway, any suggestions?

Edited by Luezette

We love cruising. We save up and go on a cruise every couple of years. We think it's a good way to explore areas we probably wouldn't visit otherwise.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yep, that's what I'm going to do...start saving up. I'm on a very limited income yet what is it I REALLY need that I can't save up for something like a cruise? I have clothes, not much or many but the way I see it is who needs much or many clothes. I'm not a "dress up" type of person anyway, as long as I "look nice" from Jehovah's standpoint it's enough for me. And a couple of thrift store jewelry and I'm ready to go. I have enough for items what I call household toiletries (soap, etc) and I'm good to go. And food? Please! More than enough (food stamps. Yep, I love em :)). Bills? Paid on time so no collection calls/letters, :)

Hey hey heyyyy! Jehovah still willing, I'm going on a cruise y'all!!!!

But I'll appreciate any and all suggestions if y'all got any. Thanks in advance.

Ship ahoy!!! Lol, lol, lol.

Edited by Luezette

We just signed up for a repositioning cruise for next April, 16 days Houston to Barcelona.

This will be our forth cruise, we love it.

After taxes (less tips) it works out to 40 dollars per day per person for stateroom and meals, cheaper than a motel that offers breakfast.

The food is sooo good!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We just signed up for a repositioning cruise for next April, 16 days Houston to Barcelona.

The repositioning cruises are a great value, keep in mind that a lot of the staff on the cruise may be from the new location and it may be the first time they are on the ship, it is a shake-down cruise for them and things may be a little confused. Don't be surprised if your dinner isn't perfect.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

how exciting for you  :boating:

cruising makes for a wonderful vacation, been on 5 cruises and

one of the nicest things about it is you hand in your bags and vacation Begins!

also many could-be problem issues are taken away...

'where to eat and is it a good restaurant'... meals are superscrumptous on cruise ships-

also no traffic,no rental car or hotel mix-ups,

no getting lost, or asking for directions,

and all-inclusive excluding alcohol limits unexpected costs,

do a lot or do nothing...

one possible suggestion: diet prior to launch, they feed you often

as frequent meals tend to inhibit feelings of seasickness and  it is so very easy to gain weight

another thing that is neat...

i enjoy running and 1 of our cruises had a running track on the top Sundeck

around the outer edge of the ship- what a view!

running round and round in the open air & sunshine

with a full open view of nothing but Ocean. it was awesome

it kind of spoils one for other types of vacation,

of course there is also the mint on the pillow thing...

:whistling:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Please reopen this topic next year about a month or two before you go on the cruise so we can share more tips.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Will you need a passport for the cruise you are looking at?

Most cruise lines require a passport and I think some will still require even if you don't leave the US territory. Check with the cruise line.

And as far as the passport is concerned, I'm looking into them because I changed my mind, lol. I've decided to do a seven day to the Caribbean. I'm really excited because I've finally made up my mind! I've thought of this well over a year.

Edited by Luezette

And as far as the passport is concerned, I'm looking into them because I changed my mind, lol. I've decided to do a seven day to the Caribbean. I'm really excited because I've finally made up my mind! I've thought of this well over a year.

Fantastic!

We will have a lot to talk about before you go and when you come back!

We have found the best time for us to go to the Caribbean is in the first two weeks of December. It is after the Thanksgiving vacation and before the Christmas vacation so there are less people. It is at the end of the hurricane season so you should have good weather. It is usually still in the value priced season so the price is less. The only drawback is if they start decorating the ship for Christmas... :(

Decorating for Christmas eh? Well you can't have everything. You should see my building during that time, lol. Yet, I was thinking of July, 2016. Can you really enjoy yourself on a ship during winter? brrrr...

But December will give me lots of time for saving up though.

Decorating for Christmas eh? Well you can't have everything. You should see my building during that time, lol. Yet, I was thinking of July, 2016. Can you really enjoy yourself on a ship during winter? brrrr...

Check the current weather in the Caribbean right now, especially the places you plan on stopping at. Then check the weather at those same location this December. The weather has always been perfect for us in December, that's why the prices go up the middle of the month.

Can you really enjoy yourself on a ship during winter? brrrr...

Yes! If it is in a warm climate  :D

Very nice choice Luezette...you will love it. Today Travel Zoo sent us a weekly updated 20 destination itinerary. As Richard mentioned anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas you will find some fantastic deals, the water temp in the Caribbean is 82 degrees. A couple of years ago Travel zoo sent us a $369. special originating out of San Juan Puerto Rico. The advantage to San Juan is you are in a different port every day, verses spending lots of time getting there.

Also check out Expedia Cruises, Last minute cruises and Cheap Cruises.com. You will have the time of your life   :D

Check the temperatures before you book for July. Your ship will be air conditioned but it will be near 100d  when off the boat. Trade winds help a little but it was all my wife could stand and that was the last of October.

Regarding Brother Michael post above: Yes by all means shop around!

The lowest "our" cruise lines rep would go was $777 and that is when I was telling him that the cruise line's web page posted $740.

Went to "Vacations to Go" and booked for $636.

That is slightly less than $40 per day which is about what we spent for meals on our auto trip last year.

Might have gone lower if I shopped further.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Check the temperatures before you book for July. Your ship will be air conditioned but it will be near 100d  when off the boat. Trade winds help a little but it was all my wife could stand and that was the last of October.

Regarding Brother Michael post above: Yes by all means shop around!

The lowest "our" cruise lines rep would go was $777 and that is when I was telling him that the cruise line's web page posted $740.

Went to "Vacations to Go" and booked for $636.

That is slightly less than $40 per day which is about what we spent for meals on our auto trip last year.

Might have gone lower if I shopped further.

We were invited on a cruise with some friends from our congregation next month out of Houston to Roatan and Cozumel. As you mentioned the temperatures are unbearable especially with the high humidity, and in the middle of hurricane season. We really would like to go, but the time of year is not so enjoyable.

The  prices on repositioning cruises are really unbeatable, and with all the great food you can possibly eat...its a steal.  Nothing like hitting the treadmill and swimming pool after dinner.   > :D<

Edited by Precision

Nothing like hitting the treadmill and swimming pool after dinner.   > 

It's hard to use a treadmill with a glass of wine in your hand so I had to resign myself to just smiling as I walked by them..

We were invited on a cruise with some friends from our congregation next month out of Houston to Roatan and Cozumel. 

Let me know how the cruise from Houston is. We have some friends in Houston and we are thinking of taking them on a cruise after he retires.

Holidays are expensive in and from Australia.  I have relatives in Europe, so after saving for the fare to go there, I also wanted to see as much of Europe as I could since it is such a great distance to travel.  A cruise in the Mediterranean was the cheapest and best options.  It cost far less than taking planes to different countries and staying in hotels or putting our relatives out.  And the destinations! Rome, Sicily, Athens, Crete, Ephesus!  That was just a 7 day cruise!

Yes, I have to agree with all above - it is simply the best holiday and cheapest way to see more and eat wonderful food.

As for my tips:

• Do get yourself as fit and healthy as possible to fully enjoy your time on the ship - and worry about the exercise you will do later after you come home.
  • Be prepared for sea-sickness - medicine from the chemist, and take for the first day.  You don't know until you are there whether you may be the unfortunate one who gets sea sickness.  It is better to preempt this while you get your sea legs.  You may find you don't need it after the first day.
  • Do your research on the ports you will be visiting.  The shore excursions can get a bit expensive, so you may be able to figure out your own itinerary to explore (if you feel confident and it's safe to).
  • Be prepared for the worldly atmosphere promoted on board the ship - overeating and overdrinking, gambling, etc.  There are many places on the ship to explore that are not going to expose you to that, but just be aware that it can be a bit too much for us.  There is still plenty of wholesome entertainment, at the earlier "family-friendly" times, such as spectacular shows, and then there is the quite lounge chair just for you on deck.  Lovely!

Enjoy when you go!  I'm heading off to New Zealand next year.  This time not a tropical destination, but I'm excited about visiting such a stunning country.

• Do your research on the ports you will be visiting.  The shore excursions can get a bit expensive, so you may be able to figure out your own itinerary to explore (if you feel confident and it's safe to).

Something to keep in mind, the shore excursions from cruise companies are more expensive but you have a lot more protection. We were Costa Rica and booked an excursion that required a long bus trip. The bus was late getting back to the ship and the captain waited for us, they don't do that otherwise. 

We may get off the ship and look around or take a local taxi if we stay close to the ship but we never take a long trip away from the ship unless we book it through the cruise company.

Oh my goodness y'all! This is sooo exciting! Keep it coming!

Because my convention begins the day after tomorrow, :), once I'm home Sunday I'm going to write down all the GREAT advice and carry them with me. Thank y'all sooo much!

Edited by Luezette

Something to keep in mind, the shore excursions from cruise companies are more expensive but you have a lot more protection. We were Costa Rica and booked an excursion that required a long bus trip. The bus was late getting back to the ship and the captain waited for us, they don't do that otherwise. 

We may get off the ship and look around or take a local taxi if we stay close to the ship but we never take a long trip away from the ship unless we book it through the cruise company.

I agree, an opportunity for big saving.

Short excursions with a comfortable 2 hour buffet, I book independently.

An all day trip that schedules one hour cushion is worry some in backward country.

Plane fares to catch up with the ship can easily cost more than the whole original budget.

Same thing concerning flying into your departure port. Having bought our flight tickets thru the cruise line they guarantee your connection. Two of our group got lost at Gatwick airport. By the time they were found (They had stepped out and exit door to smoke and couldn't return) we were an hour and a half late to Dover but they held the sailing for us.

When I book the airline for a cruise port I allow an extra day, provides a rest (I hate flying) and comfort of mind.