JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This Just In....

If you hate football then you should see Australian version of it .... AFL ... Ha ha ha

People are fanatical about AFL here Down Under .. We had local needs about sport on Tuesday meeting ... Hmmm I wonder why? Ha ha

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I hate everything about it.  The men in tight suits running around the field like what they are doing is so important.  The announcers that call the game- boring detail by boring detail. Then there is the instant re- play as if we really need to see it again. How can a game that is 4 painful 15 min quarters last sooooo long? I have never watched it but have been around family that do, and then there are the customers at the bar.  The loud cheering and fights it instigates.  The way the host city gets torn up after a big game.  The stupid paychecks they command for "working" so hard.  The emphasis people put on it as if were so important in life.  The injuries the players (and sometimes those of the sidelines) suffer from--head trauma and the lies they have been told about brain injuries not resulting from so many blows to the head. The "reality" show spin offs re athlete's wires.  The crimes they get away with because they are athletes.   Then I don't understand the friends (sorry, don't mean to offend-- I just don't understand)  have superbowl parties and cheer on their teams. I guess if it was just a friendly game with no intention to hurt the other players I might feel different.  Maybe it stems from never being picked in school for athletic ventures... 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

If i could have hit the like button, over and over for emphasis...I hate anything that smacks of competition. Never mind the fact these grown men are out there, playing a game, getting mega bucks. Add to that the ever so healthy lifestyle. Right up there with those nice big trucks that transport soft drinks...People are rotting out their guts, drinking the stuff. I know we have some soft drink fans here, A non-essential industry for a non-essential liquid! Oh, I forgot, you can clean your motors and toilets with the brown stuff!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I'll try to post again the OP.  Now this I like.

The only good thing about football is the "Eye Candy" and it is only safe to watch when it is part of an AD for football games. :crackwhip::deadhorse:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I hate everything about it.  The men in tight suits running around the field like what they are doing is so important.  The announcers that call the game- boring detail by boring detail. Then there is the instant re- play as if we really need to see it again. How can a game that is 4 painful 15 min quarters last sooooo long? I have never watched it but have been around family that do, and then there are the customers at the bar.  The loud cheering and fights it instigates.  The way the host city gets torn up after a big game.  The stupid paychecks they command for "working" so hard.  The emphasis people put on it as if were so important in life.  The injuries the players (and sometimes those of the sidelines) suffer from--head trauma and the lies they have been told about brain injuries not resulting from so many blows to the head. The "reality" show spin offs re athlete's wires.  The crimes they get away with because they are athletes.   Then I don't understand the friends (sorry, don't mean to offend-- I just don't understand)  have superbowl parties and cheer on their teams. I guess if it was just a friendly game with no intention to hurt the other players I might feel different.  Maybe it stems from never being picked in school for athletic ventures... 

I can understand your frustration Leslie. Most of the friends are balanced and enjoy taking in a few games but not getting overly wrapped up in it. Like anything even sports and sport figures can be idolized. Sadly you may have heard a few years ago, a whole body of elders here were removed for cancelling the meeting to watch the Super Bowl. It happens...just saying.  

Point taken, Brother Lytle. To me it is this system's gladiator arena. Pure violence. Of course, Satan offers degrees of violence. But, I think this is one of the most obvious. Mainstreamed...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Football & baseball are full of over-inflated blow-hards that think they're so much better because they are popular and can command extortion type pay for a job that they spend more time training for than actually participating in. If there were a study done to show how hard some of our men who work in REAL jobs-  Firemen, policemen, concrete men, roofers, framers, loggers, crabbers, miners.....the ball players would be in lower end of the pay scale. Our REAL men work hard and are worth much more than they're paid.

ya, sounds opinionated but I didn't say anything that isn't true. These men are supposed to be professionals and role models, have yet to see them as a group be any kind of a decent role model.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

AFL, Greg?

Rugby League is no different. Sex scandals and drug scandals are rocking both establishments regularly the last few years, yet your TV or radio basically cannot be on without getting some kind of 'update' about each of the games.

Pity those who live in Canberra, where both codes are followed with equal fanaticism and enthusiasm.

Oh, and for the sake of our OP, Leslie, the season is just over mid-way here.

Oh...you mean half-time 'wardrobe malfunctions.'

No. I wouldn't get that far watching Eye Candy before my wife :crackwhip::deadhorse::pistols::touche::help:

I don't like football - US, Canadian or the rest of the world ( where it is also called Sock Her :boxing::oops:)

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

an elder once 

-- in casual conversation, not from the platform -- 

likened professional athletes of today to the Nephilim of Gen 6:1-4

their ambition for super-human size and strength, power and fame-

their continual relations with beautiful women... 'taking all whom they chose'

along with their bullying attitude 'i-can-get-away-with-anything'-above-the-law' superior view of themselves,

the testosterone driven fighting...

excellent interview with our brother Levi, former Oklahoma running back why he gave it up

and instead chose the way of Jehovah in jw.org video:

'Young People Ask—What Will I Do With My Life? Looking Back'

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Levi is a fantastic, outgoing brother.! He has come to our hall many times as a guest speaker. I know they substitute CO but were hoping for a permanent assignment which may have happened by now. Haven't seen him in a while...

LeslieDean

Football & baseball are full of over-inflated blow-hards that think they're so much better because they are popular and can command extortion type pay for a job that they spend more time training for than actually participating in.  ...

These men are supposed to be professionals and role models, have yet to see them as a group be any kind of a decent role model.

As one of these NFL Pros said when he began to study with JWs, "It hard to be humble when you have had your own fan club."

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have thousands, and thousands of people cheer for you when you just walk onto a field?  Or hundreds screaming, adoring fans just begging for a touch of your hand or an autograph?  Or even worse, women throwing their unmentionables at your feet?  Or wanting you to sign their "body parts"?  I know how important I feel when I just walk into the house after work and my dogs run to me wagging their tails and begging for a pat on the head or a tummy rub!!! 

I had a luncheon in LA and a friend called some sisters who were singing backup for the Pointer Sisters and they asked if they could bring a few extras.  I said of course not knowing who the extras were.  It was Prince.  He was extremely quiet to the point of making me nervous wondering if everything was okay.  This is when he first started associating with witnesses but was on the way of being baptized.  He did mention that it was embarrassing to be among people that knew he had done a world tour in "assless pants/chaps".  I did not know that about him at the time,  but yet I am a little ashamed to say I had to google it after everyone left. :blink:  Even if we think we are not star struck it can catch you at a moments notice.  My husband did work for a huge amount of celebrities and probably one of the most thrilling for me was Marcia Clark.  I knew her voice immediately when she called to talk with Rick because I had watched the OJ Simpson trial like I was my job...

LeslieDean