JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting at Oregon community college - 10 dead

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3118 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- At least 13 people were dead after a gunman opened fire at an Oregon community college Thursday, Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum said.

Rosenblum said the gunman was also dead. It wasn't clear whether the gunman was among the 13 people who died. Rosenblum also said 20 people were wounded, many critically.

Source:  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-community-college-shooting-umpqua-community-college-roseburg/

*Please note that the story is bouncing all over the place and the details change faster than baby diapers.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

The gunman who opened fire at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon, on Thursday, asked people in an academic building to stand up and state their religion before he began shooting, a witness told the local News-Review newspaper.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gunman-opens-fire-at-oregon-college-in-mass-killing/ar-AAf0MOh

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Wow.  I wonder what was the purpose of asking people's religion before he shot them?  

How sad that we can't do ordinary peaceful things in life without the fear of someone "losing their minds" and pulling out a gun for no apparent reason.  

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I know it has been mentioned in other threads but it's a good idea to look up what to do in an "Active Shooter' situation so you are prepared to respond if it ever happens to you.

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/active-shooter-pamphlet-508.pdf

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

There are so many factors and variables that could come into play ... I'm not sure if one can actually be 'prepared' for such an event.  What is a person to do?  Pray.  I think that is all one could do.   I think we should spend our time getting spiritually fit rather than researching what someone suggests we should do in events like this one.  We know EXACTLY what we need to survive this wicked system .. let's do those things.   

There are so many factors and variables that could come into play ... I'm not sure if one can actually be 'prepared' for such an event.  What is a person to do?  Pray.  I think that is all one could do.   I think we should spend our time getting spiritually fit rather than researching what someone suggests we should do in events like this one.  We know EXACTLY what we need to survive this wicked system .. let's do those things.   

Actually I had a link in my post to a pamphlet on the Homeland Security site that gives some good information, it's gone now.

The police have a programmed response to an Active Shooter situation, someone that isn't aware of their programmed response could actually interfere with their response. It's good to know what to do and expect.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Thanks for that pamphlet. We read it as a family tonight so that we can have a plan in mind.

We had an active shooter at a local mall last year. Until that point, it always seemed as something that happens "out west or something".

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

Thanks for that pamphlet. We read it as a family tonight so that we can have a plan in mind.

We had an active shooter at a local mall last year. Until that point, it always seemed as something that happens "out west or something".

Oregon is "out west." I've lived here my entire life and believe now we are number one for school shootings to population. Thurston just 30 miles from today's in 1998, Reynolds 2014. The community college near me has several systems in place for crazy incidents but I think they give false security. The young man today sought advice from strangers who gladly have it. I pray for our brothers and sisters in the community. They will be bringing comfort to many in a time of need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What would you do?

"The gunman, while reloading his handgun, ordered the students to stand up if they were Christians"

We are not part of Christendom, when the gunman asked that question he was addressing Christendom, in which we are no part. So what would you do? NOT get up?

What would you do?"The gunman, while reloading his handgun, ordered the students to stand up if they were Christians"We are not part of Christendom, when the gunman asked that question he was addressing Christendom, in which we are no part. So what would you do? NOT get up?

I don't have to listen to that lil punk lol....(famous last words)

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

"The gunman, while reloading his handgun, ordered the students to stand up if they were Christians"

"While reloading his handgun" I'd have probably tried to lay a couple on him or at least to escape. That's just me. I don't think a nutjob running amok is really a good situation to rack your brain thinking of ways to give a good witness.

It is extremely interesting that the main talking point is, as expected, gun control.... the little after-taste is the religious motivation behind the shooting. These two combine to create a powerful subliminal thought to the degree of "religion is as dangerous as guns are"

"While reloading his handgun" I'd have probably tried to lay a couple on him or at least to escape. That's just me. I don't think a nutjob running amok is really a good situation to rack your brain thinking of ways to give a good witness.

Me too. I saw a training video on what to do in an Active Shooter situation and one option is to start throwing things while rushing him. Don't stop to look at what you are throwing, just grab and throw, keys, wallet, phone, books, pencils, anything. Once there is a perception that the shooter is not in control, the other hostages may help subdue the shooter or escape. I'd rather do that than stand there waiting to get shot.

I thought of two things. Did our brothers and sisters have any sort of witnessing set up? I know in Arcata, at HSU, we do that. Secondly, I feel as the reason, pure and simple. Demonic. This Country has set this up. Violence is glorified. It may be football, boxing, or other things humans do to entertain themselves. Then the videos, games, and movies. Add easy access to guns. It is a violent culture. This is the 15th episode of killings at schools. Is there anyone out there that can honestly say this system is fixable?I think not. We need the Kingdom desperately, and in Jehovah's due time...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Me too. I saw a training video on what to do in an Active Shooter situation and one option is to start throwing things while rushing him. Don't stop to look at what you are throwing, just grab and throw, keys, wallet, phone, books, pencils, anything. Once there is a perception that the shooter is not in control, the other hostages may help subdue the shooter or escape. I'd rather do that than stand there waiting to get shot.

yeah..kinda like the passengers on the plane on 911, when they decided to overtake the terrorist, I bet the terrorist did not know what hit them, ...rather than responding to his question as to who are Christians? Gimme a break. Lol

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

I believe the shooter stated hos religion as wicca and spiritual but not religious...

That would be a good answer to his question...."religion is a man's word, but I am a spiritual person." Then we wouldn't include ourselves with Christendom.