JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do not say anything in your head to yourself that you would not say to your best friend!

So many times we say things in our head like "Man i'm stupid" "I'm an idiot" "what a Moron". I'm so fat or Why am I ugly or I hate myself

You would never go up to even a stranger and say those things to them let alone your best friend. Can you imagine praying to Jehovah and saying those things? Never in a million years would we. So why do we say them to ourselves? Satan wants us too. 

So stop yourself from saying them and instead in your head just say thank you Jehovah for making me.

We are his creation and his Creation is perfect in a physical sense. We work the way he designed us too in a general way. Certainly we have specific things that break down. That is because of the pollution in the environment and our imperfection. Not because we are flawed from him designing us. 

We have no right to put his Creation down at all. Its disrespectful of Jehovah. So why do we put ourselves down? Stop doing it. Others may so ignore them.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Some where, I heard, "Jesus says, stop!" A talk. But you are so right. We do not need to be egomaniacs, but we do need a balanced view of ourselves. We are worth enough for Jesus to give his life for us. Bottom line.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

:lol: The title did catch me! :lol:

But the point made is so true!

And with all we face in this system it is more often easier to slide down that negative slope and say these types of things to ourselves, about ourselves. I know of someone who so often refers to himself as "dummy" that he probably says that over a dozen times every day ~ and yet, he has a genius IQ, has 1000's of scriptures memorized, the depth of his Bible knowledge impresses everyone, and he's been recognized in many ways as being intellectually superior (and he will never hear those praises because in his mind he's such a dummy).

It is good to remember and get plenty of reminders that we are good, worthy, smart, beautiful, wonderful, etc. (keep thinking of all the positive ways to describe a person)!

This reminds me of something the Apostle Paul said (which is likely to be something Jesus taught him if not something he exactly said to him). :)

In Romans, in my favorite chapter...12 ~ the whole chapter could speak to this topic ~ but for now, verse 3 - "...I tell everyone there among you not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think, but to think so as to have a sound mind, each one as God has given to him a measure of faith."

So many, me included for a long time, tend to read this as "not to think more of himself" and just stop there. We find reminders throughout the Bible to remain humble, be humble, be modest, to think more/better of others, and so on. So it's fairly common to pick up on these things in a way that tells our imperfect human minds that we should be thinking less of ourselves... translate that some to be we should not think so much of ourselves... and translate that some more into thinking of ourselves in a lowly way.... and keep sliding that down to lowest, least, last, to the point we begin to think we aren't worthy of so many attributes.

But when you read the entire verse...which actually begins with "For through the undeserved kindness given to me," .... Paul is humbly telling us we DO need to THINK ENOUGH of ourselves (as is necessary) so that we have a SOUND MIND and recognize that what we do have comes from God.

Does a person of sound mind believe himself or herself to be stupid? to be ugly? to be an idiot? to be a dummy? to be horrible? etc.???

So Greg's doozy of a title is SPOT ON! We should not being saying anything to ourselves that we would not also want to say to a stranger. And Satan IS the one encouraging this sort of thing! Anything Satan is encouraging is something we should want to avoid in every way!

Thanks for bringing this up Greg!

I hope it helps a lot of those here to see themselves as one of Jehovah's awesome creations! (and then help others not on here to see this too) :wub: