JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

1,000-year rainfall hits South Carolina

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3092 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1,000-year rainfall hits South Carolina

Roads washed out. People trapped in cars. Seven deaths as of Sunday evening. And it’s still raining, but the rain should taper off by Monday night.

South-Carolina-October-2015-video-still-

The plume of moisture, also called an atmospheric river, continued to push heavy rain over the same areas. The low was not able to move and the rain continued to develop.

Some of the tropical moisture from Hurricane Joaquin was able to travel towards the Southeast too. All of the moisture converged into one spot, and incredible amounts of rain fell.

rainfall-totals-e1444008807787.png

http://earthsky.org/earth/1000-year-rainfall-hits-south-carolina

Nearly two FEET of rain in some places? :o 

Here's praying our brothers and sisters in this flood area remain high and dry. -_- 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Nearly two FEET of rain in some places? :o 

Here's praying our brothers and sisters in this flood area remain high and dry. -_- 

Wow, that is a LOT of water. So sorry to hear that some lost their lives.... :(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We need *I emphathize button* - don't like pressing 'like' for sad things like this. I guess though everyone knows what we mean.

Thoughts are with everyone there.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Seems like all the bad weather/conditions we are getting as of this last year and this year are in "historic" proportions anymore.

And out on the Oregon/Washington Coast the good weather has reached historic proportions. 73 degrees looking out over the ocean, blue sky and little wind.  :)  :D

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

And out on the Oregon/Washington Coast the good weather has reached historic proportions. 73 degrees looking out over the ocean, blue sky and little wind.  :)  :D

Mid 80's in California..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My Sister-in-law's Sister lives in Columbia, SC - she says it is VERY WET!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I know we barely had a summer this year (midwest). Normally we get a few weeks of really hot weather (which my husband always looks forward to) but I think it barely reached 90 only one or two days this year. Our weather was really weird - very cool one week (60's) and in the 80's the next. It did this back and forth thing right up to last week. We had a few weeks of intense humidity but not necessarily intense heat with it. Just seemed really odd to me.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I know we barely had a summer this year (midwest). Normally we get a few weeks of really hot weather (which my husband always looks forward to) but I think it barely reached 90 only one or two days this year. Our weather was really weird - very cool one week (60's) and in the 80's the next. It did this back and forth thing right up to last week. We had a few weeks of intense humidity but not necessarily intense heat with it. Just seemed really odd to me.

I know what you mean.  We don't usually get fog around here.  Even though we are sandwiched in between two of The Great Lakes.  This year, the heat hung around a whole month longer and we have been inundated with FOG, FOG and more FOG.

I think of the fog as really low clouds. :uhhuh:  Don't like being 'fogged in'. :wacko:  Driving is dangerous enough, just with all the deer on the highways.

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

And out on the Oregon/Washington Coast the good weather has reached historic proportions. 73 degrees looking out over the ocean, blue sky and little wind. :):D

Been in the 80s here in Madras.we still have wildfires.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Here are the updates as of 12:30 today (Friday) per the Governor of South Carolina:

Governor Haley says people will start knocking on doors and will ask people to leave in Pawleys Island, Georgetown, Jamestown and areas south of Givhans Ferry.

She says they can expect flooding for the next 12 days.

Any concerned citizens should call EMD at 1-866-246-0133.

Gov. Haley says there are now 17 confirmed fatalities.

Currently 23 shelters are open with 474 occupants. She says this number will rise.

There were 1,200 rescues statewide. That includes people and animals.

There are currently 409 roads closed and 148 bridges.

A 13 mile section of I-95 still closed because the bridge is not stable.

There were 14 dam failures, the latest was in Orangeburg.

They are currently watching 70 dams.

She says they are trying to fix the Columbia canal. They are trying to rebuild it. In the next 24 hours they will know if they have the water level has stabilized enough so the Columbia area can keep receiving water.

She says there are currently 38 boil water advisories because of contaminated water.

FLOOD DEBRIS

If you have debris, they will pick it up but it has to be separated into 6 categories. They will not pick up Normal household trash.

1. Limbs, trees
  2. Wet carpet, furniture, sheet rock
  3. Refrigerators, appliances
  4. Electronics
  5. House chemicals, paint, gas cans

They will pick up the separated debris on Monday.

Bring to edge of roadway, do not put in road

**If you have filed for Insurance assistance-do not dispose of debris, they will need to see it

Governor Haley says that there is massive crop damage estimated at $300 million, with the peanut and shellfish industry the hardest hit. The shellfish industry is expected to be down for about a month.

People with flood damage in the counties of Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Clarendon, Darlington, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Kershaw, Lee, Lexington, Orangeburg, Richland, Sumter and Williamsburg should register with FEMA for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

A statewide hotline has been set up to accept donations: 1-888-585-9643.

As a side note, our new Assembly Hall (about 1 year old now) is right off I-26 in Orangeburg.  I hope it has not suffered from the dam breaking and high enough to not be flooded out!

Thanks for the update.  Guess the danger didn't stop when the

rains did, Monday night, huh. -_- 

Can't imagine going out in service with all those roads and

bridges out of commission.

Stay safe.   :unsure: 

Thanks for the update.  Guess the danger didn't stop when the

rains did, Monday night, huh. -_- 

Can't imagine going out in service with all those roads and

bridges out of commission.

Stay safe.   :unsure: 

I can imagine that if you are one of the people in the midst of all this chaos, that you will come across plenty of people to witness to without having to go door to door!  

By the way, thanks for the very detailed update Rosalie!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I can imagine that if you are one of the people in the midst of all this chaos, that you will come across plenty of people to witness to without having to go door to door!  

Excellent point!  ^_^