JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting in California

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3049 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

He looks too squishable to be making such a bold statement. OOooops back to my sweet demure self.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Where are the moderators! Someone needs to straighten this out.

From doing some cursory research:

1986-2014 Index

GUNS

Bible view:
guns as protection: w98 12/15 22

in home: g92 5/8 28; g90 5/22 9
danger in home: g 5/08 29; g95 3/8 28; g92 5/8 28; g90 5/22 9; g90 10/8 30; g89 5/22 14; g86 10/8 30; g86 12/8 29

danger of owning: g92 1/8 28; g90 5/22 8-9

danger of use for self-defense: g99 11/22 28-29; g91 7/8 12-13

discussion: g90 5/22 2-11; g90 10/8 30

armed employment given up: w89 10/15 24-26

no real protection: g 8/10 30

The moderators are right here.  I've already commented once, but it only added fuel to the fire.  The moderators suggest everyone do what Ashley here did and research the topic for yourselves.  I trimmed his list above to make it a little easier to go through.  Perhaps this should be everyone's family worship project this week if nothing else is pressing.

Don't rely on other people's opinions or faulty memories, even on this discussion board.  It's easier to come here and have someone else post the answer instead of doing your own research, but that way leads to confusion.  Do your own research.  

We all have our opinion on the purpose of guns and the practical value of having one.  That's fine. We all should not, however, have our own opinion on what the Organization's position on guns is.  We all have the same articles we can look at.  We should all be on the same page as to what our Christian stand is.

☺☺☺☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

How about a plate of bacon instead? Just as salty and crunchy, with soft chewy parts.

Do you need more bacon?

I'm out of popcorn... :popcorn:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

For the Slave's and the scriptural position for Christians on this subject, see the w83 7/15 p. 23-25.

In part, it states, "It is similar if one of Jehovah's witnesses insists on carrying or having firearms for protection against humans, or in learning the martial arts. The spiritual elders should take immediate steps to counsel and help him to remedy the situation. (Micah 4:3) Anyone who thus continues to carry personal arms or otherwise equips himself to become "a smiter" would cease to qualify for special privileges in the congregation. --- 1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

Brother Ken, I think everyone here agrees with not carrying a firearm for protection against humans, but the problem is there are other reasons people have firearms. If by chance they are used to protect themselves during a life threatening situation it still does not mean they got them for that purpose.

Brother Ken, I think everyone here agrees with not carrying a firearm for protection against humans, but the problem is there are other reasons people have firearms. If by chance they are used to protect themselves during a life threatening situation it still does not mean they got them for that purpose.

Agreed!

If I buy a ball bat to play ball, I would not scripturally lose any privileges. 

If I buy a ball bat with the intention beating someone’s brains out, obviously desiring to kill a home invader, my motive for buying the bat would be called into question.

If in self defense I used my game bat, but unintentionally killed a home invader I technically would be free of blood guilt.

On the other hand if I am fond of guns and had them for the purpose of target shooting or hunting, I would not scripturally lose any privileges due to owning a gun or guns. (Not discussing the conscience of the congregation and how that could affect my privileges.)

As a target shooter or hunter, should the chance situation arise where I use that gun to protect my family, I would be under obligation to use it to maim if at all possible, not kill outright, an almost impossible feat in the heat of the moment. In the case of justified manslaughter the elders would still need to examine the circumstances.  

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

But my point regarding that, and only with regards to rifles, you can't use those as self defense, because in order to adhere to the firearms license, and any hunting license you subsequently are by law required to have, your rifle is stored in pieces, in separate locked components away from one another, If you have time to collect those and assemble them you have time to flee.

Or is my reasoning not right here? (I'm not covering handguns used for target practising as we aren't allowed those here unless they are paintguns or air rifles).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

But my point regarding that, and only with regards to rifles, you can't use those as self defense, because in order to adhere to the firearms license, and any hunting license you subsequently are by law required to have, your rifle is stored in pieces, in separate locked components away from one another, If you have time to collect those and assemble them you have time to flee.

Or is my reasoning not right here? (I'm not covering handguns used for target practising as we aren't allowed those here unless they are paintguns or air rifles).

Sis, I know that in some places it is recommended that you have a 'safe room' that you can retreat or flee to. It is also recommend that you have a last ditch weapon in there, in case the intruder/s make it in there, with bad intent.

I know that my son in law, who was a former US Army Ranger,could most likely reassemble a rifle with one hand and fight off a couple of bad guys with the other.He has a gun safe, and all his guns are in it. It takes him seconds to access them and seconds to make them ready. He feels much better when armed, if there are unknown threats.He saw combat in Afghanistan in 2001 and has related some pretty harrowing stuff. I am glad that he and I can talk, and that I can tell him about the promises that the coming of the Kingdom will fulfill.

In principal I agree with Stormswift . That this would actually take place is kind of moot. The very fact that you point a loaded weapon at somebody is a form of premeditation. That is the way the law looks at it here. I can see how one might defend against a breaking and entry using a gun bought for another purpose. I had a speargun that would pin someone to the wall at 10 ft, never thought of it for emergency defence. 

That is not so in any State in the US, as far as I know.

A rifle can be kept loaded with one in the chamber (dangerous practice) except when being transported in a vehicle.

Most rifles and shotguns do not require a fire arms licence. No requirements to store bolt, ammunition and rifle in different locations. 

A displayed rifle is more of a deterrent than a pistol. It is also easier controlled. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Okay so that is different to NZ then ... US is much more lax. Interesting indeed. I think that means we all should understand that answers in this thread will be based on different laws and requirements as per the country the poster is from.