JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

No salt

I am doing 500 mg of magnesium every morning and am back on adrenal formula. Because of my adrenals I must consume natural salt with all the minerals. 

When I spoke of doritos and sour cream I admitted it was a weakness of mine, it is. But I can only let myself have it maybe 2 times a year. I'm not a junk food person and the doritos hurt my stomach but the salty/sour creamy flavor is so delish. 

I'm talking to my NP at the end of the month and want to ask her about garlic caps, think it may be good for me. 

I appreciate this thread

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Sister Cheryl that's great that your trying to be healthy. You can do it! You know there are some tortilla chips that you can buy that are salt free and maybe put your salt free seasonings on them for cravings. But here are some healthier alternatives. The Benito's do have some salt but way less than the other brands and there may be others. I went into my grocery store and asked them to please order me some no salt alternatives and they said no problem they would research it for me. That made me feel good.

I feel the magnesium is helpful and the garlic is always great as long as it doesn't interfere with other medications. It's hard but not impossible. Anyways, I'm sending my love and support.

http://www.beanitos.com/#productNachoCheese

http://www.mrsdash.com/products/seasoning-packets/classic-ranch-dip

Sister Trina,

Glad you found the seasoning info helpful. I have used the tasty tables seasoning in almost everything.  It does taste salty and gives food more flavor.  I have found when it comes to meats I have to put a lot and actually suggest pre-seasoning with it and letting it sit/marinate the meat before cooking it.

Anyway, I also found a low sodium cookbook helpful.  I love soy sauce so having to give that up was hard.  I tried the one in the book and it was actually not bad.  They even give alternatives to a lot of sauces and seasonings such as o bay crab seasoning.  So it was nice to be able to enjoy steamed crabs in the summer :) 

http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Sodium-Recipes-flavor/dp/1592332773/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449768846&sr=8-4&keywords=LOW+SALT+COOKBOOK

NOTE: This is a direct link to the book (not an affliate link).  I do not make $$ off of mentioning it.  I have a copy and have used it in cooking meals for my family.

Hi Anna!

I am so excited to tell you about "Spike." It's an "All Purpose Gourmet Seasoning."

Of course there's the salt version (red box), but the no salt version (blue box) is very good, tasty. I use it on almost everything: boiled eggs, fish, salads,etc.

A few ingredients listed are:

Defeated soy, onion, orange crystals, nutritional yeast, celery, dill, horseradish, lemon peel, mustard,orange peel, parsley, white pepper, tumeric, green/red peppers, rosehips, summer savory, etc. All good stuff!

I get mine from a health food store here called "Perelandra." You might want to goggle where to purchase it in your area.

Enjoy!

Edited by Luezette

A few ingredients listed are:

Defeated soy, onion, orange crystals, nutritional yeast, celery, dill, horseradish, lemon peel, mustard,orange peel, parsley, white pepper, tumeric, green/red peppers, rosehips, summer savory,

Defeated soy - this has to be me of the best things I've seen on an ingredient list :lol: I wonder how they beat the poor soy into submission?!

Defeated soy - this has to be me of the best things I've seen on an ingredient list :lol: I wonder how they beat the poor soy into submission?!

Peanuts, if you reduce your salt will you change your name to Unsalted Peanuts?

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 months later...

I use Himalayan salt in my cooking too. (I found out how toxic table salt was a few years ago and stopped using it immediatedly.) Please remember that natural - pink - salt is more potent than table salt, so cooks in the kitchen must use less of it in their recipes.  For me, a "pinch" of salt is all I need in the majority of my recipes...no more than one fourth teaspoon.

I make a great effort to avoid GMO's, so I do prepare most of my meals at home.  My sister and I stopped at a popular all-you-can-eat restaurant on the way home from the regional  convention last year.  She ate until her heart's content while I just had a nibble of this and a nibble of that knowing the food was loaded with sodium.  When she woke up the next morning, she felt terrible and was ill for the next few days.  I didn't want to say to her: "I told you so!"---but I did.   :ph34r:  No more restaurant meals if it can be avoided.

Edited by Omo_Yeme