JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

No salt

I have recently started a no salt diet, well very low anyway. The problem is I can't hardly find anything in the stores without salt in it. Anyone know of any good no salt products? Even recipes that are nice?

Suggestions of ll kinds are welcome. Thanks everyone!

I never use salt in my cooking, after a while you won't notice the difference. I do mainly cook from scratch, if you buy jars of sauce etc it will be loaded with salt.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the UK you can get low salt stock cubes. I could make my own stock...but the chances of that happening are unlikely!

You can use sea kelp as a salt substitute. (I've not tried it though)

Mine, home made.  :lol: When it comes to cheese I'd prefer to eat less, like butter, as opposed to eating cheese without it.

NOW a question for you Catrina, do you have any thyroid or adrenal issues? Going no salt will be very bad for you. 

Using sea salt is less salty but gives the minerals, Himalayan salt and kelp, like mentioned above, are also VERY good.

I'm convinced the salt problems come with using iodized salt. No stats to back that up but in my mind it's like the difference between margarine and butter- nope, no question about it. 

Just my thoughts. Frankly I'd be a miserable person if I had to go no salt. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Mine, home made.  :lol: When it comes to cheese I'd prefer to eat less, like butter, as opposed to eating cheese without it.

NOW a question for you Catrina, do you have any thyroid or adrenal issues? Going no salt will be very bad for you. 

Using sea salt is less salty but gives the minerals, Himalayan salt and kelp, like mentioned above, are also VERY good.

I'm convinced the salt problems come with using iodized salt. No stats to back that up but in my mind it's like the difference between margarine and butter- nope, no question about it. 

Just my thoughts. Frankly I'd be a miserable person if I had to go no salt.

I buy that Himalayan pink sea salt, much better for you than table salt. Some foods need a bit of salt, chips I'm looking at you :D

Anna, I'm more of a salt person than a sweet person. A bag of chocolate will be in the freezer for a year before it gets finished. BUT now a bag of nacho cheese doritos and maybe a tub of sourcream?????? Hold me back!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

That's a scary picture! I don't have any of the thyroid or adrenal issues that I am aware of but its for high blood pressure. I don't want to go on medication so I'm trying to reduce salt. I am not completely without salt because it's impossible but I also bought the salt replacement and so far that is really helping to put on sweet potatoes or avocados or fresh tomatoes...but I was using the Himalayan pink sea salt before getting checked and it was high so I have to do more. I have to tell you I found an Irish butter with no salt that is dreamy. I don't eat it a lot but when needed it's great!

I'm a savory taste lover too that's why I'm lost right now rethinking everything. I heard in NY they are going to start putting a little picture of a salt shaker on any food items that contain the whole daily recommendation of salt. I wish they would do that across the U.S. Because some things are absolutely terribly high in sodium.

Anna, I'm more of a salt person than a sweet person. A bag of chocolate will be in the freezer for a year before it gets finished. BUT now a bag of nacho cheese doritos and maybe a tub of sourcream?????? Hold me back!

Me too! My user name is peanuts as I love snacking on salted peanuts so much :lol that said I do love chocolate too....

I'm a savory taste lover too that's why I'm lost right now rethinking everything. I heard in NY they are going to start putting a little picture of a salt shaker on any food items that contain the whole daily recommendation of salt. I wish they would do that across the U.S. Because some things are absolutely terribly high in sodium.

Do they put any warnings on packaging in the U.S.? In the UK everything has a 'traffic light' warning system. Looks like this

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://www.gousto.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/food.gif&imgrefurl=https://www.gousto.co.uk/blog/?tag%3Dtraffic-light-labelling&h=227&w=464&tbnid=OGEC1alzuT0r-M:&docid=sqHez3fz8xvphM&hl=en&ei=YQpjVqqqL8WuU8TwkNAJ&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0ahUKEwjq3qnpi8XJAhVF1xQKHUQ4BJoQMwgcKAAwAA

Currently there is a war so to speak on a new guideline in NEw York about labeling items that exceed the daily recommended amount of salt in restaurants and the restaurant owners are not happy because they use so much. Here is the article.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restaurant-group-sues-over-nyc-salt-warning-labels/

Ah yes we have those too, normally on the back of the packet. Then the traffic light labels are on the front so when you scan the shelves you can quickly see what's good/bad. Jamie Oliver (British chef you may have heard of him he's done campaigns in us too) is currently campaigning to change the way sugar labeled to show it in terms of how many spoonfuls are in the food rather than grams. It's easier to picture the actual amounts that way.

Oh I hope he can make those changes because it doesn't take calculations when you can picture the actual size you use. I love watching his cooking shows too. I like the fresh vegetables and rustic style. I picture the new system cooking like he does bunching fresh herbs and spices in a pot together or roasting them in foods. You know the food will probably taste unbelievable when we're perfect and they are grown in a clean earth. Soon!

Oh I hope he can make those changes because it doesn't take calculations when you can picture the actual size you use. I love watching his cooking shows too. I like the fresh vegetables and rustic style. I picture the new system cooking like he does bunching fresh herbs and spices in a pot together or roasting them in foods. You know the food will probably taste unbelievable when we're perfect and they are grown in a clean earth. Soon!

I agree. Sometimes I buy veg from the supermarket and it just has no taste, I can't wait to taste proper fruit and veg in the future.

I've got a few Jamie Oliver ccokbooks, I have never been let down by one of his recipes, always turned out well.

Catrina

I have also had high blood pressure. The best thing for me was to take Serrapeptase (the brand I get is from good health naturally called Serra Enzyme) you can research it.

I eat salt and pretty much a low carb diet.

In my opinion, lowering salt intake to lower blood pressure is the same as not eating eggs because of high cholesterol, which has been shown to be false.

Just wanted to give you another option to think about.

Thank you sister Sandy! I will investigate. Another sister at our hall mentioned magnesium. She said that it was one of the first things the hospital will start you on for blood. Plus I started taking garlic supplements (no odor release gel pills). I am going to look this other option up as well. Thank you!!!