JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anniversary dinner/party thoughts

So my wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary in 2016 and she would like to rent out a venue and have a dinner with both our families together.  Not an actual party but just a dinner - no gifts - just association together, catered, etc.

She is of European descent while I am pure Canadian (eh!) and I have ever really only heard of a dinner with all families together for someones 25th.  Is a dinner party for a 10th seem reasonable?  I keep thinking its odd but then again, I am a guy and we have no brains for this stuff.

If your wife wants a party/dinner in EVERY anniversary, have one EVERY year  :uhhuh: !  Seriously.... 10 years is a big deal and so are 15, 20, 25, 30......... We just had our 35th but our anniversary is June 7th and it is ALWAYS during our Convention.  It's all good...... we just pretend we have 5,000 friends help us celebrate our anniversary every year!

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

If your wife wants a party/dinner in EVERY anniversary, have one EVERY year  :uhhuh: !  Seriously.... 10 years is a big deal and so are 15, 20, 25, 30......... We just had our 35th but our anniversary is June 7th and it is ALWAYS during our Convention.  It's all good...... we just pretend we have 5,000 friends help us celebrate our anniversary every year!

LOL I like that.

I just didn't want it to feel like we wanted attention on ourselves and so we threw a party for ourselves.  We are going to make it quite clear: NO GIFTS.  She has just had a bad 1.5 year with health issues and since its our 10th she said she wants something to look forward to in the spring.

So my wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary in 2016 and she would like to rent out a venue and have a dinner with both our families together.  Not an actual party but just a dinner - no gifts - just association together, catered, etc.

She is of European descent while I am pure Canadian (eh!) and I have ever really only heard of a dinner with all families together for someones 25th.  Is a dinner party for a 10th seem reasonable?  I keep thinking its odd but then again, I am a guy and we have no brains for this stuff.

If you can afford it, go for it.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

It's funny that my wife and I feel differently about this. She thinks that it is odd for someone to host their own anniversary party, I think it is a great idea.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

As long as you both are involved and feel happy about this, pls go ahead. You can even surprise her by giving a small or big gift. If it's going to be party, let it being a little thrill.

Surprises are welcome. How do you think you can surprise her as she is having health issues?

But as great tribulation is far approaching, you are given green signal.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

We attended a meal for friends of our 10th anniversary a few weeks ago. The couple whose anniversary it was arranged it, they just said they would like their friends with them.

So many marriages seem to have sadly ended recently, when we attended this I really felt like 10 years was something worth celebrating. I think it's a lovely idea.

Thinking about it, I think we've been to a few 10 year anniversary parties. I say go for it! ....but then I am female and of European descent... :D

Edited by Peanuts

A couple who is getting married usually hosts their own wedding, why would it be odd to host your own anniversary party? I think it's a nice thing of you both to want to share this special achievement with others and give them the "gift" of a wonderful, catered!!! evening!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I agree with what others are saying. The association alone with others is priceless. It offers encouragement to others in their marriages as well (In my opinion). Events don't have to be expensive to be memorable! I help alot of friends plan, organize and carry out their weddings and anniversaries. It's always fun to see friends and family come together to decorate and pull it all together. 

It's funny that my wife and I feel differently about this. She thinks that it is odd for someone to host their own anniversary party, I think it is a great idea.

I'm with your wife with this one, as usual.  I, personally, would feel very self centered to hire a venue with catering for my own wedding anniversary. This sounds like a rather large shindig.  If I invited our families out for dinner to a restaurant, and mentioned during the dinner that it was our anniversary, I would feel less self conscious.  I had a very small wedding and never celebrated our anniversary, 36th year, but a couple of times, when our sons were young, we used it as family day. Even though you are specifying no gifts, announcing it as an Anniversary dinner usually results in gifts, even if only wine and balloons. If you give your wife a gift at the venue, that seems to undermine the no gift request. Some will feel uncomfortable if they did abide by the no gift clause, and gifts were presented. Etiquette on this subject is controversial.

Edited by kejedo

I would feel weird being invited to a big gathering without knowing the reason why, especially if there was a dress code. It would be rather important IMO to let your guests know what kind of gathering this is.  And even if you specify no gifts and some bring them anyways - that is NOT your fault.  Some are more sentimental about marriage than others and want to give you something to "mark" this occasion.  I don't feel it's self-centered to want to share your joy over this occasion with others you are close to.  It's definitely not self-centered to provide all the food and entertainment for the guests.  If anything - you can make it an anniversary celebration for all invited!  For those who are single and invited, they can celebrate the anniversary of their baptism in dedication to Jehovah!  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D