JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3021 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I really don't know why "the Shahada" has to be taught at schools now. On the other hand, I don't know why parents think that copying this phrase in arabic language will turn their children away from Jesus. But then again... would you like it if your kids school forced your child to draw a Pentacle and write "Hail Satan" underneath it along with reciting the rules of the Church of Satan off by heart?

Because in the end, it comes down to it being the same thing.

Edited by ChocoBro

CNN)After a teacher at a Virginia school handed out a standard homework assignment on Islam, such an angry backlash flooded in that it prompted officials to close every single school in the county as a safety precaution.

This is the beginning of the article for those that want to know what it is about before clicking the link 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

When one of my sons was in middle school, his social studies teacher gave an assignment to write a short story in Egyptian Hieroglyphics.  We didn't have a computer at the time, but we had a copy machine, so we made multiple copies of one set of hieroglyphs. He then cut them with scissors and hand pasted it into a simple story. It looked a little like a newspaper ransom note, those pasted figures and characters.  I thought it was a ridiculous assignment. Yup, definitely (not) a skill that followed him through life. I am not sure if this assignment will have much influence in these students' futures. I copied some calligraphy in Chinese and Japanese while in High School, and am not fluent in either language. I wonder if it would have been more influential had my mother taken issue with it.

P.S. Islam is a religion, Arabic is a language. The teacher could have chosen any language statement to get the feeling of calligraphy writing in a different script. Sanskrit is quite beautiful, imho. The teacher should have done more research.

I really don't know why "the Shahada" has to be taught at schools now. On the other hand, I don't know why parents think that copying this phrase in arabic language will turn their children away from Jesus. But then again... would you like it if your kids school forced your child to draw a Pentacle and write "Hail Satan" underneath it along with reciting the rules of the Church of Satan off by heart?

Because in the end, it comes down to it being the same thing.

Church of Satan? Is that a thing?

And wouldn't their list of rules be Rule 1: There are no rules :P

Church of Satan? Is that a thing?

And wouldn't their list of rules be Rule 1: There are no rules :P

Yes. Please don't bother researching it. It is really really evil and the influence it actually has is unknown, though somewhat visible when it comes to modern popular culture. It propagates indulgence, not abstinence; vengeance, not turning the other cheek.

I would like to think it is a joke religion like the Pastafarians, but I believe they take it far more seriously

I saw an interview years ago (before I came into the truth) with a Satanist. :devil: I think it was Dick Cavett who interviewed him. This Satan worshipper was disguised during the interview so no one would recognize him. But he revealed that he was a colonel in the US army. This led Cavett to claim he was violating a rule of the Church of Satan, and quoted a "scripture" from the Satanists' "Bible" stating that a Satan worshipper should not be a part of the world. :S Yes, you read that right! Anyway, Cavett's thought was that being in the American army was being a part of the world. Well, the Satanist's response was we are not to take their "Bible" literally.

Anyway, yes, it's a "rule" in their "Bible" (or whatever they called it). But just like people in Christendom, Satanists won't take their "Bible" literally either when it gets in their way of doing what they want. :devil2:

But after all, isn't that what Satan is all about?

EDIT: I think this thread is getting :offtopic: We were talking about "the shahada," weren't we? So we now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion...

Edited by Sheep