JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is this true?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3032 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Searched for the image and found it. It is not Jesus. But it does represent someone being killed on a stake by the Romans. Good image to use to show that the Romans did use the stake rather than the cross in executions.

It wasn't supposed to be Jesus but, like you said, the representation of someone being killed on a stake.

I was thinking that maybe this image was photoshopped... If it's real I wonder why it never appeared on our publications. It would prove without any doubt how the Romans used the stake

I believe that's a depiction of

"The torment of Marsyas"

From my searching online

Found an interesting link regarding your find

http://www.louvrebible.org.uk/index.php/louvrebible/default/rewrite/oeuvre-47/The-Torment-of-Marsyas-,-Cross-or-stake

It seams real after all ;)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

Found an interesting link regarding your find

http://www.louvrebible.org.uk/index.php/louvrebible/default/rewrite/oeuvre-47/The-Torment-of-Marsyas-,-Cross-or-stake

It seams real after all ;)

Enviado do meu LG-D855 através de Tapatalk

May be Greek mythology but the depiction may demonstrate the method of death used.

Very helpful.

There are just a few references in Watchtower Library regarding Marsyas. Good article in w87 8/15 p.23 "Is the Cross for Christians?" Looks like a picture too, must be the one shown above.

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Hi  It's in the Louvre, France and we took a photo when we toured the Louvre in 2006 where we also saw the Moabite stone. . I was also very impressed and just looking at the photo recently. There is also a painting on the ceiling near the entrance in the roman Catacombs of San Sebastiano. I took a photo 25 years ago but my camera was stolen. I went again to see it in 2006 but it was closed that day and we were leaving Rome the next day. :o( The gatekeeper told me that the painting of a man on a pole was still there. I wish someone going to Rome would take a photo of it. I cannot find one anywhere on the internet. I think it was from 3rd century. Tim

• 2 weeks later...

My Bible Student loved this article (I just printed out page one). She shared the info with another Bible Student (not mine) in our neighborhood. They were both raised Catholic. My student just loved it. The other person was dubious, to say the least. It is impressive that this student, although handicapped, is sharing what she learns.  

Off topic, sort of.

Watched a travel program about the Catholic beginnings. Constantine built St Peters cathedral over Peters grave. Took about 200 years to complete. Have you seen the latest news about the progress at Walkill?